Start by marking “Into the Nest: Intimate Views of the Courting, Parenting, and Family Lives of Familiar Birds” as Want to Read:

The intimate lives of familiar birds as never before seen! Spectacular, stunning, and beautiful close-up photography documents the family lives of more than 30 birds, from the first song of the courting male to the first flight of the fledglings. You'll find images of the male and female, nest construction, the eggs, the parents on the nest, nestlings, feeding time, fledgl

Published April 21st 2015 by Storey Publishing, LLC (first published March 10th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Into the Nest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Into the Nest

Start your review of Into the Nest: Intimate Views of the Courting, Parenting, and Family Lives of Familiar Birds
اليازية خليفة
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
أحد أفضل ما قرأت عن الطيور!
ممتاز من عدة نواحي:
١. التصوير دقيق وممتاز يحاكي محتوى المادة
٢. معلومات غنية حول الحياة العائلية للطيور
٣. يطرح مجموعة متنوعة من الطيور - بمختلف بيئات تواجدها ٤. يحتوي على خرائط لقارة أمريكا الجنوبية لتحديد أماكن وجود كل طائر عرضه المؤلف في الكتاب ، كما رمز لكل فصل من فصول السنة بلون مغاير لتتعرف على أماكن تواجد الطير ولو كان ذلك خلال موسم هجرته!
أحببت الكتاب !
Thomas Ray
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: para-ninos, trivia
Great photos of nesting and courting birds of many common U.S. species.

Text Laura Erickson, photos Marie Read.

Answers questions such as goodreads.com/trivia/work/27662994-in...
SeaShore
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I picked up this book for its glossy pictures of so many amazing birds. The male great horned owls establish territories.
The courting and mating of various couples are described in detail. I wanted to learn more about a bird that laid its eggs in the open in my yard last summer and here it is---- the cutest things you've ever seen. Kildeer lay and incubate their eggs right in the open. The eggs have cryptic coloration.

The Black-capped chikadee is noted. The female starts laying one egg per day u
Kathy Sebesta
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you're a newcomer to birding and still mostly at the birdfeeder stage or the I-know-what-that-is bigger bird, or if you've got a kid or grand who's just getting excited about the birds around them, then this is a good resource.

For each of the species represented the book has beautiful pictures of males and females, eggs in nest, nestlings, fledglings, and usually juveniles. It includes information about mating, building the nest, male/female responsibilities, feeding, and how the babies deve
Lili
Sep 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nature
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for a review, and here is said review!

I love birds, I always have...I envy their flight and beautiful plumage ( dyed my hair bright blue out of desire for plumage, even if most females are drab), their romantic courtships have fascinated me, and their songs soothe me. This book takes a look at a side of many bird's lives that sadly gets skimmed over in more general books on birds, which is tragic. In my opinion birds have probably the most diverse
Steve
Sep 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a magical look into the secret lives of birds. We only think we know them. We hear their song and see them at the feeder. Their courtships and family lives are so diverse and choreographed it is hard to image they are all descended from the same line. A wonderful family book to share with children. A way to draw the nature indoors and draw us outdoors to experience more.
Skylar Primm
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
The text is pretty dry, and can get repetitive if the reader, hypothetically speaking, tries to read the whole thing in a couple of days because it's about to be due back at the library. The photos, though—WOW! It's absolutely worth a look for those alone, assuming one is interested in birds and how they raise their young.
Daniel
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recently my 13y.o. daughter starts to love birdwatching and this book offers a fascinating introduction to not only the nest, but also the family lives of various kinds of birds! Nice :)
Melissa
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you like bird watching or even just nature in general, even just casually, this is a must read! I loved how this broke down information into interesting and manageable bits, lots of photos - and not too many fancy terms. I love bird watching and was eager to learn more about the birds I see in my yard and community - I learned so much from just this one book. I highly recommend it!
Candice
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: birds, favorites, nature
A wonderful book for anyone who is interested in learning more about the nesting habits of North American birds. It is clearly written, well organized and full of amazing pictures. As an avid birder working on a breeding bird atlas, I’m excited to learn more about breeding habits. Highly recommended.
Jeff J.
May 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating account of the reproductive behavior of birds. After a brief introductory overview of mating, nesting, and child-rearing, the book examines individual species behavior in depth. The focus is on the most commonly seen birds and is accompanied by abundant photos.
Apr 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: recommendations
a great reference about common north american birds. I learnt a lot of things that I didn't previously know. An interesting reference for birders.
Clare O'Beara
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this read, with the brilliantly coloured, action-filled photos showing nesting, courtship, egg-sitting, chick feeding and fledgling rearing among many American birds.

Bird lovers anywhere will benefit from learning that eggs laid inside a tree are normally white, unlike those in open nests, while many terms are well explained. For example, precocial chicks follow their mother from the nest shortly after hatching, like ducklings, while altricial chicks are fed in the nest for weeks until
Gaye
May 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Erickson and Read have brought out the binoculars (as evidenced by the engaging cover) and done some bird research for you. While not comprehensive, this book focuses on a selection of over 2 dozen American bird species that you’re likely to see around your neighborhood. This heavily illustrated volume is fun to browse but also very concisely informative. Captions accompanying each color image make it easy to identify the birds, their nests & eggs, and young offspring.
The introductory chapters g
Linda
May 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Linda by: Barbara
Shelves: birds, non-fiction
An interestingly written book which explores the habits of familiar birds. These are, for the most part, birds that live around me, and many that I see frequently. I loved reading about the various courting habits, their different parenting styles, and how the young grow and finally go off on their own. As I was reading this book, I was observing a pair of house or purple finches (I can't tell the difference) as they are raising a family in the grapevine/fake forsythia wreath beside my front doo ...more
Donna Maguire
I was so excited to receive a copy of this book, I have been a keen birdwatcher from a very young age and I am always keen to know more. The book is fascinating, it has delightful facts, excellent images and I really enjoyed the whole thing. It was a joy to read and cannot thank the publishers enough for letting me have a review copy in exchange for my honest opinion. I have already recommended the book to others.
Julie
May 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is a treasure! The photographs are gorgeous and amazing (how did they get some of those shots?!), and I learned a lot about the birds in our yard (plus birds I might never see). So fascinating! It really gave me a new appreciation for all the work birds do in mating, nesting, fighting off predators, raising and feeding their young, and just surviving. If you have even a remote interest in birds, I highly recommend this book.
Karen
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been a bird enthusiast for many years, but the photos and captions alone are worth checking out this resource. I learned so many fascinating tidbits about the various species which frequent my area. For example, unlike other birds, the Downy woodpecker can nest deep in the cavity of a tree despite the buildup of carbon dioxide.
GONZA
Sep 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great book, with wonderful pictures and interesting information about birds currently living in the U.S.

Bel libro con delle fantastiche fotografie dei piú comuni volatili degli Stati Uniti.

THANKS TO NETGALLEY AND STOREY PUBLISHING FOR THE PREVIEW!
Carol
Nov 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book about the day to day behavior and habits of specific species of birds.
Debby
Jun 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have studied birds all my life and I learned so many things from this book! Highly recommend for bird lovers!
Brooke
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Beautiful pictures and interesting read - at first - but then it gets a bit repetitive. Great reference book, though.
Owly Byrd
Jan 01, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

• Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal
  • Finding Tess: A Mother's Search for Answers in a Dopesick America
  • Missing Link (The Destroyer, #39)
  • Bottom Line (The Destroyer, #37)
  • Pirate of the Pacific (Doc Savage, #19)
  • Bolívar: American Liberator
  • Treasure Island
  • The Life and Times of Prince Albert
  • The Best of Bova: Volume II
  • The Case of the Sleepwalker's Niece (Perry Mason, #8)
  • The Case of the Caretaker's Cat (Perry Mason, #7)
  • Very, Very, Very Dreadful: The Influenza Pandemic of 1918
  • The Case of the Stuttering Bishop (Perry Mason, #9)
  • Murder on a Midsummer Night (Phryne Fisher, #17)
  • Hubert Humphrey: The Conscience of the Country
  • Plant Science: An Introduction to Botany
  • The Case of the Perjured Parrot (Perry Mason, #14)
  • HMS Ulysses