Start by marking “Chew, Vol. 8: Family Recipes” as Want to Read:
Chew, Vol. 8: Family Recipes

Chew, Vol. 8: Family Recipes (Chew #36-40)

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  3,668 Ratings  ·  241 Reviews
Anthony and Antonelle Chu are fraternal twins. Tony and Toni. Each with their own extraordinary, albeit diametrically opposed, ability. Tony is Cibopathic, able to get psychic sensations of the past of anything he bites into or ingests. Toni is Cibovoyant, able to flash onto a vision of the future of any living thing she bit into or ingested. Tony is alive. Toni is dead. T ...more
Published April 8th 2014 by Image Comics (first published March 5th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Chew, Vol. 8, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chew, Vol. 8

karen
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
let's do this again, yeah??

i burned through all ten published volumes of this series in a matter of months, and while i managed a fairly coherent review of the first volume, i am overwhelmed by the thought of going back and reviewing volumes 2-10, trying to recapture that innocent mindset that didn't know what happened in subsequent volumes and trying to stay within the lines of the volume i'd be reviewing.

my hat is off to you serial comic book/graphic novel reviewers who are able to consistent
Lindsey Rey
Feb 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, favorites
I think this one was my favorite so far! :D
Sam Quixote
Mar 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
I think we can all agree Chew is a weird comic. A cop who eats bits of people to find out how crimes were committed in a post-avian flu ravaged world where chicken is outlawed and vampires wander about, intergalactic flame writing fills the skies, and Poyo, a fighting cock with cybernetic implants, is so cool and badass he could give James Bond a run for his money? Yeah that’s pretty weird. And yet - 8 volumes in! – John Layman and Rob Guillory somehow make Chew an even weirder series (by the wa ...more
Jedi JC Daquis
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Now this is Chew! The tone shifts back to its very core: light, funny and crazy entertaining. Thanks to Toni Chew's poat mortem hologhost, things are way happier than the last chapter. It is great to see how Toni (in her point of view) handles her incoming death with a sort of happy send-off to those she holds dear. Cheerful and practical, she is no less crazy than her twin bro Tony, as she chomps healthy servings of fresh flesh off people.

Here's Toni Chu telling Tony Chu about how to kill the V
Mike
Jan 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: creator-owned, fun
More Antonelle! More Antonelle! Yes, I'm in Camp Toni, where purple nurples, Indian burns and sarcasm-as-PDA are the rule, and no one escapes her infectious (and probably manipulative) good nature.

Who doesn't want a sibling whose love for you is never in question? Even if it's immediately followed by "and you wouldn't want me to go in there alone, would you???" (bats eyelashes like they're instruments of KGB torture), or a swift punch to the nuts?

Toni shows up through extraordinary means, even t
Sesana
Dec 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Now this is more like it. This the story escalation that I was really expecting to see out of volume seven. And Layman manages it, in part, by making the series even weirder than it had been before. Having Toni manipulate events so she can (however temporarily) be Tony's Obi-Wan postmortem is... Well, it's an interesting idea, but it seemed to be an incredibly specific thing for their power sets to be able to do in combination. Yes, this is where I finally have a little trouble suspending my dis ...more
Andrew
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This new chapter sees the return of Antonelle Chew, Tony's sister, though in a “special form”.

Thanks to Antonelle's toe, found at the end of the previous chapter, Tony is able to have visions on her sister, from which he receives instructions that will serve him to face the vampire. Of course, not everything will go so smoothly, there will be unforeseen events and difficults to deal with that will involve the people closest to the detective. Meanwhile, Savoy is also carrying out his plan to find
Apr 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic, graphic-novels
Chew is always fun to read....It's like a fun roller coaster waiting to be ridden. One of the first things I like to do is thumb through to look at the backgrounds because there is always little hidden messages, most are quite funny and tied in with the storyline.

This was a fast paced, action packed volume but at the same time it also pulled at the heart strings and conveyed emotion that I don't feel I've really read in Chew before PLUS it was done so well..I was really feeling sorry for Tony.

By
'kris Pung
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The day is always a bit brighter when my library gets in a new Chew book. This series is just good old fashion fun with a healthy dose of eating human body parts.
Gavin
May 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
FINALLY!

I've been waiting for this from the library for so long, I almost forgot what was going on. I gave this 5 stars because it's been too long since I've enjoyed a book this much. This is fun, bright, colourful, yet funny, violent, weird, and sweet. This is exactly what non-Superhero comics should be. I feel positive and happy after reading this, you get a bit of everything, and it reassures me that John Layman is a genius.

So without having too many spoilers, Toni is dead, but through the ma
Kayla (BOOKadoodles)
I honestly don't think I can rate any Chew volume lower than five stars. I love this series so much! <3
Roy
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
It is getting a little samey but I'm still really enjoying it.
Alan
Sep 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Before Chew there were times I had serous doubts about Layman as a writer. Then Chew came along and he appeared to have tightened up his story telling and pacing. The over the top factor of the premise, an avian virus led to banning of the consumption of chicken, people had food based abilities (such as lead character Tony Chu being able to discern the past of something by eating it). A lot of the lead and secondary characters were non-white, and hey diversity is good.

But, since volume 6 things
Nicole Bunge
Much like "Saga", this entire story only works in the comics medium. It is brilliant, and if I ever meet the artist/author, I'm going to hug them for putting all that wacky stuff in the background. It's like a comic in a comic. (I have come to the conclusion that Brian Vaughan, Fiona Staples, John Layman and Rob Guillory all have the same drug dealer. Possibly an editor at Image.)

The only thing better than reading this under normal circumstances is reading it while in an urgent care waiting room
Afro Madonna
Sep 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm beyond rating it any lower than five stars at this point .
Katie
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
So weird and out there but so good
Cathy
I <3 Toni. Sigh. It was definitely better than volume 7, though still a bit uneven. They still put things in for pages at a time that feel like wasted space, like in what the book calls chapter five, so probably issue 40, where John and Tony are completely stoned from something Toni told Amelia to make for Tony. They run around the city like lunatics for pages, it's supposed to be funny but it's pages that could have actual story in it. If I'd paid for that individual issue I'd be pretty sad ...more
Mel
May 16, 2016 rated it liked it
I guess volume 7 was a fluke that it went back to the things I liked about the first volume. I enjoyed the Toni aspects in this but I really didn't enjoy Colby's storyline and I don't think I liked the LSD type trip at the end.
Roz
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
This was my favourite!
Hilary
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Alligator
Recommended to Hilary by: karen
Chew only keeps getting better. The series began as something that I thought would be light reading; the plot is ridiculous, after all. the US lost 23 million in the avian flu epidemic, and the world 113 million more. Chicken and all other poultry has been outlawed, and the FDA quickly became the most powerful organization in the world. Fringe groups believe the government manufactured the threat of avian flu, and underground chicken pushers are thriving. Our hero is Tony Chu, a cibopath, which ...more
P D
Apr 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Remember that time I was worried about all the stuff that volume 7 failed to accomplish in terms of moving the plot forward in any meaningful way, given the end of volume 6, which came as the ultimate shock after all the zany preceding bits?

Well, as it turns out volume 8 does exactly what I hoped it would do and picks up that slack. Not only do we see the vague hint of the main plot's climax on the horizon (including not only the 'vampire' but also the conspiracy), we also see more development o
Rach
Jun 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
If you're not reading Chew, go back to Chew, Vol. 1: Taster's Choice and pick it up. This is one if my favorite comics, and you will not regret it.

Man, I love Toni Chu, and I'm going to miss her so much. Not as much as Tony, but still. This volume revolved around Toni's last messages to her family, bringing them together to help one another and giving Tony the information he needs to catch the vampire-cibopath. I also suspect she had Tony give Olive the last piece if her toe so that Olive could
Michael Church
Jun 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: image
This is definitely a building block for the series. It's still a really entertaining read, but it gives next to nothing in the way of answers. What it does give is a lot of really satisfying jokes, some mediocre adventures, and plenty of anticipation for the future.

Toni is a joy to read and I loved seeing the way she was used here. There's plenty of new things introduced, though I think the book has strayed a bit from it's roots as a detective book with a supernatural flavor. Now if someone doe
Chris
May 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
What can I say? I really love this series. I keep worrying that it will start to flag and weaken, hit that slump that most continuing series tend to hit this late in the game, but Layman continues to impress with his creativity that straddles the ridiculous and the genuinely heartfelt.

In particular, I enjoyed how he's finally starting to revisit past plot points and elements that either never were fully explained or seemed to have disappear completely. It's starting to feel more and more like it
Silod
May 05, 2014 rated it liked it
By this point in the series, I'm feeling fairly lost. I wouldn't say that there are too many characters, necessarily, but there are definitely too many storylines going at once and I just can't keep track of what's happening from one volume to the next anymore. I get the feeling that Layman and Guillory are at least aware of what a monster of a story universe they've created, though, since there are all kinds of little flashbacks and character's powers are usually explained again before they are ...more
Kate
Nov 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Toni's back, thanks to the toe she left in Tony's freezer (alongside the toe of Tony's wife). Toni helps Tony to track down her murderer - the vampire - but with not enough toe left, Amanda and Olive resort to cooking Tony up some of that alien fruit with chog sauce, which sends Tony on a psychedelic trip to outer space with his partner.

I was glad to see Toni back, she's a great character and I felt Tony's grief over her demise was handled well. What I'm more interested in, however, is what Oliv
Cristhian
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Si bien la venganza aún no se consume (pun intended), este volumen claramente sirve de closure por la muerte de la gemela de Tony, Toni.

Si bien el volumen pasado fue triste, este retoma el paso de la serie y tenemos un enfoque nuevo. Colby es una especie de cuádruple espía y Savoy tiene la información que tanto ha buscado: La verdad.

Hasta aquí llegan los volúmenes recolectados, lo que sigue en la serie lo tendré que seguir en números individuales.

Si nunca han leído Chew, háganlo.

¡Ya!
Chris Lemmerman
Mar 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Wonderful, as always. It's really no surprise that Chew continues to be innovative, clever, hilarious, and worth reading more than once just due to the layers of storytelling involved. This volume particularly introduces a load of new ideas that will play into the storyline going forward, and the art as always remains excellent and pitch perfect for the tone of the story. Plus, the little background details are always brilliant.
Bekah
Oct 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
I think this might be my favorite volume. We'll have to wait and see what the following ones bring, but as of right now, definitely. Really love the relationship between Amelia and Olive. As well as the growing relationship between Olive and Tony. So much is happening and we're getting closer and closer with each chapter.
FoxClouds
Mar 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
  • Revival, Vol. 4: Escape to Wisconsin
  • The Unwritten, Vol. 11: Apocalypse
  • The Manhattan Projects, Vol. 2: They Rule
  • Rachel Rising, Volume 3: Cemetery Songs
  • American Vampire, Vol. 4
  • Saga, Vol. 5 (Saga, #5)
  • Lazarus, Vol. 3: Conclave
  • Nailbiter, Vol. 3: Blood in the Water
  • Velvet, Vol. 2: The Secret Lives of Dead Men (Velvet, #2)
  • Sweet Tooth, Volume 5: Unnatural Habitats
  • Locke & Key, Vol. 6: Alpha & Omega
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 20: All Out War, Part 1
John Steele Layman is an American comic book writer and letterer. Layman is most known for writing Chew, published by Image Comics.
More about John Layman

Chew (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Chew, Vol. 1: Taster's Choice
  • Chew, Vol. 2: International Flavor
  • Chew, Vol. 3: Just Desserts
  • Chew, Vol. 4: Flambé
  • Chew, Vol. 5: Major League
  • Chew, Vol. 6: Space Cakes
  • Chew, Vol. 7: Bad Apples
  • Chew, Vol. 9: Chicken Tenders
  • Chew, Vol. 10: Blood Puddin'
  • Chew, Vol. 11: The Last Suppers