Start by marking “Call of the Kiwi” as Want to Read:

(Neuseeland-Saga #3)

Neuseeland, Canterbury Plains 1907: Gloria wächst auf Kiward Station auf. Ihre glückliche Kindheit endet jäh, als sie mit ihrer Großkusine Lilian in ein englisches Internat geschickt wird. Um jeden Preis will sie nach Neuseeland zurück. Sie
schmiedet einen verwegenen Plan, der sie in höchste Gefahr bringt ...Spannend und mitreißend schildert Sarah Lark die Geschichte einer
Published May 20th 2014 by Amazon Crossing (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Call of the Kiwi, please sign up.
Alyne Gibler In spanish:
1. En el país de la nube blanca
2. La canción de los Maoríes…more
In spanish:
1. En el país de la nube blanca
2. La canción de los Maoríes(less)

Start your review of Call of the Kiwi
Anne
Jul 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Sarah Lark and New Zealand, history and future.
Anywhere in the middle of the story I thought it would only get 4 stars the highest as I supposed it was going to be more a youth novel than the others and I presumed it would take the spirit of the first books away. But actually I discovered how youth itself affects all the life and after these three novels I feel like I was part of the story, as if I had seen them all grow up, being content or angry, crying or laughing, and in the end everyone finally finds the place to call "home". It has bee ...more
Holly
Sep 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was not as enthusiastic with this part three as I was with the previous two. I actually enjoyed part one and would rate it as the best of the three. One could certainly quit reading there. This #3 dragged out for me. I admit to skipping the entire section describing the brutalities at Gallipoli and I lost all respect for the main female character who had impressed me so much in the first book. She developed into quite a whiner and I didn't understand why she capitulated to the long absent pare ...more
Cat
Mar 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
In this last installment of the New Zealand trilogy, Sarah Lark tells us the stories of Lilian Lambert, the lively and easygoing daughter of Elaine and Tim, and Gloria Martyn, the awkward daughter of Kura and William. Gloria lives happily in Kiward Station with great-grandmother Gwyneira and her son Jack until her parents force her to study at an English boarding school in Cambridge. Lilian goes there too, but unlike her younger cousin, Gloria doesn't fit in. When the war breaks out in Europe th ...more
Ana
Por fin termino esta trilogía, ya tenía ganas la verdad. No es el tipo de literatura que más me fascina, pero tiene elementos positivos a destacar. Por ejemplo, toda el estudio de Galípoli como también el conociemiento de la isla y de sus nativos.

Lo que menos me ha gustado es la previsibilidad de la historia y lo que iba a suceder.

Me gustaría resaltar el personaje de Gloria en este libro. Creo que presenta una profundidad que los otros no tiene. Te hace sentir más que entretener. Es lo más posit
Melissa Storm
Aug 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I seriously cannot get enough of this author. She's turned me into a true historical fan! This edition was stronger than the last in the series, largely because both of the main characters were very likable. I loved that my fave character didn't die, even though I expected her to during this book. The only negative for me was the pure and simple ick factor. I know people married their relatives once upon a time, but a son and a great granddaughter who were raised under the same roof? I just coul ...more
Kathy
Aug 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a great trilogy! First, In the Land of the Long White Cloud, then Song of the Spirits and now, Call of the Kiwi. In the 2+ years that I have been reading these books, I have fallen in love with them. Has all the attributes a reader wants in a story....love, family, intrigue, etc. Even though there was some time between each read, the author's writing picked right up where the previous book left off and she wrote in a manner that brought back all memory of the previous book. Sad that I am fi ...more
Clare Smith
Ok Sarah Lark...you got me! It took three books but for all the faults I have mentioned in reviewing books one and two, I have to admit I still enjoyed the story. I felt the need to finish the series and I'm not sorry I did. This final book was enjoyable and knowing the history of the characters added to the readers experience. Once again some story lines were all a little too pat and fell into place all too neatly but also this is light reading. All in all a pleasant light novel.
Shannon
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm such a big fan of this series and I'm really sad to see it end. I liked the way everything was wrapped up with a perfect little bow at the end but it felt a little contrived, as perfectly happy endings often do. But that was pretty much my only complaint. I highly recommend this series to everyone. Give it a shot. You won't be disappointed.
Kevin Kern
Aug 19, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was as good as the first and offered a grim report of the battle of Gallipoli, which killed many Aussies & Kiwis in WWI. The characters in all her books are very grounded and this book was much more on track than the 2nd. A young woman fights horrible circumstances to return to New Zealand, when, if her parents had just paid attention to her, they could have sent her home. ...more
Susan Wirman
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyment way down under

Sarah Lark demands our attention and enjoyment yet again in a novel about the unbelievable challenges, hardships, and triumphs that a young couple who meet by chance in the peace of pre-war England when they return to theirhpmeland
Rai
Jun 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Call of the Kiwi

"Come on, Jack, I'll race you to the circle of stone warriors!" Not even waiting for Jack's answer, Gloria brought her pony into starting position next to his horse.

The final story of the New Zealand saga. It continues in the theme of the previous two, following two strong women as they grow and learn. This time we meet Lilian Lambert and Gloria Martyn, two very different cousins.

Gloria is the exact opposite of her mother, Kura. She is left at Kiward Station, forgotten and unlove
Corinne
Oda
May 16, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sarah Lark should have stopped after the first book. Gwyn has become a complete idiot, and her great granddaughter is a half-wit at best. And of course every serial rape victim opens up like a sexual flower once they meet the man who can touch them with ~love~! Extremely convenient coincidences continue to rule the narrative. I'm glad it was just a trilogy and I'm never reading anything by this author ever again - not that there was a chance of that happening, since what she's writing under her ...more
Cindy anderson
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great conclusion to a solid trilogy.

I began with Land of the Long White Cloud without knowing it was a trilogy. That book was enjoyable and I was pleased to discover the trilogy. All three books generally are well written. The author is a true story teller. Character development is excellent within and across novels and the plot of each is strong. Kathy each book can stand alone, read together they provide an in-deoth look into the lives of women generally and one family in particular in New Ze
Candace Fluckey
My least favorite of the 3 part series. It didn't seem like Gloria gave enough fight to make her desires heard to go home and then to just turn to the path she did just didn't make sense. Then, I kept hoping her relationship with Jack wasn't going where I thought it was going. In my mind she seemed like a child compared to him. It just didn't click for me. Gwyneira's lack of maternal instincts got on my nerves and she was made to look dumb in this book especially.
Roxanne M.
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent series!

The last of the trilogy was a fantastic read and very fulfilling ending to this saga!! This author deserves 100 stars in my book!! Her writing is amazing, her characters draw you in and become so very real and loved! There’s love,love lost, sadness, death, and redemption woven with the greatest artistic talent of the worlds best writers! Do not miss this wonderful ride through New Zealand and those who came to settle there!!
Beth Parker
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The last of a New Zealand trilogy

I have always loved trilogies and this one did not disappoint. Each book in the series is long and contains multiple characters. The characters are unique and have challenges such as WwI to deal with . I was not familiar with Gallipoli and the battle field descriptions brought the horror of war graphically alive. This book brings the story to a satisfying conclusion.
Margaret
May 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book 3 in series. The final series from the sheep farm on the Canterbury Plains where Gwynneira arrived as a young bride - Gloria Martyn has enjoyed an idiotic childhood but has been called back to London to attend school. She leaves Jack, her protector, and struggles to settled into life in England. It’s a coming of age which tale of loss, love and redemption from the plains of New Zealand to Gallipoli to the Australia’s Northern Territory. Really enjoyed the trilogy of books.
Robert Adamson
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great

When will she FINISH, THE STOTY . loved how showed how the group who all interacted with each other and how one mistake could stsy with woth a hole family for their lives. The way the english treated people who were helping thek was horrible . The book kept my interet every minute.

Miriel68
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't intend to read this book, but then decided to give it a try, mostly because of the soap-opera syndrom: you want to know what will happen to the characters you know from the previous books. Unfortunately, they are so flat and unidimensional that it is difficult to be really involved in their story, maybe with the exception of Lily- her storyline is kind of amusing.
JERRI WOLD
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Call of that Kiwi

Call of the Kiwi was a fitting end to a fascinating trilogy set in turn of the century New Zealand. The Warden family is filled with unusual, yet totally believable characters. They laugh; they cry; they rejoice and suffer. This is a great book for those who enjoy well done historical novels. I really want to visit New Zealand.
Thelma Fountain
This is the final book in a trilogy. I did enjoy the first two books more than this one. The adventure in the first books was wonderful. I really loved the characters. This book was very sad at times. I am the kind of person who wants to read all the books when I start a series. Overall I did enjoy this series.
lenora crenshaw
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This fictional historical accounting of the story of New Zealand

This fictional historical accounting of the story of New Zealand continues to provide knowledge of this country and its people.
Helen
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book three and like the first 2, it was interesting and exciting. The scenes set in Gallipoli were stark and brutal as was Gloria’s journey alone from the states to New Zealand. I wish this story would continue for at least another fifty years in telling
Karen Alaniz
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Third novel

I read the first two so fast that I had a hard time getting into this one. I put it aside for many months. While I do not believe it is as good as the first, I do feel like I lived a saga. I do not want to give anything away but WOW, GLoria!
Terry
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, audiobook
Another wonderful book in the continuing saga of the O'Keefes and McKenzies. I am sorry to let these families go after reading the complete trilogy. The characters came alive in these books and I felt part of the family. I am looking to read more by Sarah Lark soon.
Nancy Hastings
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Conclusion

The final book of the series brings the story together in an emotional way for me. It was very satisfying to see the ending I was hoping for, for all the characters I grew to admire.
Mary Norton
This final book in the trilogy was not well connected to the original characters and epic. The characters and plot just didn’t blend well with the first 2 books and the life and history of New Zealand that I was seeking.
Virginia price
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Trilogy

I've really enjoyed the three books from the early days in New Zealand. I loved the tough women from each era, their loves, hardships and happiness came to life. Sorry it's finished.
Diana
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very entertaining historical fiction series set in New Zealand. Authentic history base for a good story.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Secrets of the Tea Garden (India Tea #4)
  • The Emerald Affair (The Raj Hotel #1)
  • The Girl from the Tea Garden (India Tea #3)
  • The Tea Planter's Bride (India Tea #2)
  • The Tea Planter's Daughter (India Tea #1; Tyneside Sagas #1)
  • The Photographer's Saga
  • El legado de la villa de las telas
  • Return to Jarrow (Jarrow #3)
  • A Distant Hope (The Hansen Family Saga #1)
  • The Pearl of Penang
  • The Jasmine Wife
  • In the Far Pashmina Mountains
  • On Far Malayan Shores
  • Eden's Conflict
  • Las hijas de la villa de las telas
  • The American Lady (The Glassblower Trilogy #2)
  • The Paradise of Glass (The Glassblower Trilogy #3)
Christiane Gohl (* 1958 in Bochum) ist eine deutsche Autorin. Gohl veröffentlicht ihre Romane auch unter den Pseudonymen Ricarda Jordan, Sarah Lark und Elisabeth Rotenberg. Neben Kinder- und Jugendbüchern rund um das Thema Pferde veröffentlicht Gohl auch Romane für Erwachsene.

Sie studierte Pädagogik und arbeitete als Fachjournalistin und Werbetexterin. Neben ihrer Tätigkeit als Autorin betreibt Go

Neuseeland-Saga (3 books)
  • In the Land of the Long White Cloud (In the Land of the Long White Cloud Saga #1)
  • Song of the Spirits (In the Land of the Long White Cloud Saga #2)