Start by marking “Illusions of Fate” as Want to Read:
Illusions of Fate

Illusions of Fate

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  6,573 Ratings  ·  1,263 Reviews
Downton Abbey meets Cassandra Clare in this lush, romantic fantasy from Kiersten White, #1 New York Times bestselling author of And I Darken.

Illusions of Fate is an absolute delight—a magical, sparkling, dangerous world with witty repartee and a romance that will light your heart on fire. Kiersten White’s best yet.”—Stephanie Perkins, New York Times bestselling author of
Published September 9th 2014 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Illusions of Fate, please sign up.
Meetta As far as I know, it's just a standalone. Did you get it as an ARC too?
Michelle This site doesn't actually supply the books, rather it helps you find the titles. It will occasionally give suggestions to give-aways and/or ebooks…moreThis site doesn't actually supply the books, rather it helps you find the titles. It will occasionally give suggestions to give-aways and/or ebooks but they are through a supplier. Goodreads helps you find the title but you have to get the book elsewhere. Hope this helps. (less)

Emily May
Sep 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult, 2014
“I clench my jaw and narrow my eyes. I am no wilting Alben, I am a fierce and strong Melenese woman. And I am not the victim of any cruel jokes. Spirits below, I will make certain he knows I am not to be toyed with.”

3 1/2 stars. It was, in fact, a solid 4 stars leaning towards 4 1/2 before those last couple of hastily pulled together chapters in which the author rushed us towards a conclusion and narrowly avoided necessitating a sequel. Messy ending aside, I enjoyed this novel a lot and am t
Lola
DNFed at 53%

description

Advice: Don’t let the beautiful cover fool you.

I just didn’t find any reason to keep reading this book. The plot…it didn’t even feel like there was one determined. Poor to no intrigue and silly useless conversations that felt like fillers more than anything else are way too present in this story.

The main character, Jessamin, is in her teenage years but acts like an eleven-year-old one.

It.Was.Annoying. She was annoying.

Some parts of the story felt very absurd (my logical mind and abs
Aj the Ravenous Reader

A fast-paced, adorable historical fantasy for a change! Them fantasies are taking themselves too seriously, with too tedious backgrounds and intros, it even has to take one entire book for just these things. It’s high time one finally stands out for its brevity, strong and sure heroine, admirable non-condescending pretty hero, and a unique plot that involves magic, history, politics, several social issues, adorable romance, laudable friendships (involving not only humans but birds as
Simona Bartolotta
“And how do you find the school?” he asks.
“Well, seeing as it’s always in the same location, it’s never very difficult to find.”

I know it's so dashingly idiotic it almost seems clever but ah, I burst out laughing like the fool that I am.

•One thing is for sure: Kiersten White knows how to write strong-willed, purposeful, sharp-tongued heroines (yes Lada my dear, I'm thinking of you. Always). Illusions of Fate features, Jessamin is a brilliant, hard-working young woman who's trying to build hers
Kat O'Keeffe
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVED THIS!! My favorite Kiersten White book yet! It was hilarious and fun but also touched on some serious aspects. Jessa was a brilliant protagonist, Finn was a charming love interest, and I want Eleanor to be my BFF. I just loved the characters so much and was so invested in their stories! And while it was a completely satisfying story as a standalone, I could totally go for a sequel!

Definitely recommended, especially if you liked Kiersten's previous books, or books by Stephanie Perkins, Rach
Cait • A Page with a View
Kiersten White writes the most hilariously real YA heroines ever. Eleanor and Jessamin were such strong characters that the entire book is totally worth reading just for them!

This story is REALLY similar to Howl's Moving Castle except it's set in a fictional colonial England/island world. There's lots of magic, adventure, romance, and mystery and it's just generally fun. The end was a bit rushed and strange, but otherwise I really liked the rest of the book! It's a pretty impressive and serious
Anne

Well, whether or not you like this is going to depend on what you're expecting from it, I think.
To me, it was a lot like The Chaos of Stars, in that the magic stuff sort of took a backseat in the book.

In this, magic is something that only the nobility have running though their veins. Commoners don't have any idea that their countries' leaders are wizards.
Ok. Not wizards, Magic-users. Something.
Anyway, Jessamin comes from a made-up island called Melei, which I assumed was supposed to be
Melissa (Ever So Mela)
Buddy Read with the awesomeness that is Brit (Her review :D)
"I always draw FATE. But fate is a slippery thing, is it not?(...) Paths do not only go one way. We choose which direction to take. I refuse to believe that any outside forces can determine the course of my life."

I was drowning in a sea of bunnies, skipping across massive rainbows, riding on shiny unicorns, flying alongside fairies, and cuddled by clouds. Sheer bliss for this was pure and utter fluff.
⇉ And I ❤ every whopping secon
Katerina Kondrenko
6.5 out of 10

Ревью в моем блоге/This review on my blog
Living A Thousand Lives

Love-Geometry: seeming

Quote-Core:
"Dear Mama, I am being stalked by
Brittain *The Baddest Female*

DANGER WILL ROBINSON DANGER!

BUYER BEWARE!

Big Edit: Basically, the author knew that she was copying and doesn't market it as a retelling, but as her own ideas. So not cool. Link to Interview. I can respect retellings but not when it isn't credited towards the original. I had to search to find if the author had had any experience with Howl's Moving Castle. This is a cheap rip off and unless the author somewhere wrote that these are not her own ideas, I'm not going to buy a single other book from h
Keertana
Sep 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you, like me, dismissed Illusions of Fate because...well, Kiersten White, then please, please give this one a chance. White's debut, Paranormalcy, released when I was just thirteen and my young, teenage self fell head-over-heels for it. Admittedly, it didn't contain a love triangle and, at the time, that was enough to get me to enjoy it. Its sequels, though, quickly highlighted the fact that White's premises was not nearly as original as I thought and neither was it nearly so well-executed.

W
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
By once again using her trademark sense of humor combined with superior writing, Kiersten White added another work to her list of literary successes. Illusions of Fate has just about everything I’ve learned to expect from this excellent author: interesting characters, beautiful writing, dry wit and an unforgettable ending.

White penned Illusions of Fate with her usual elegance. Her writing flows fluidly and effortlessly, which makes our journey through this story a light and pleasant ex
Cynthia Hand
I hate it when people say a book is my best book, because I feel like that is subtly snubbing my other books, and . . .

I really like all of Kiersten White's other work, especially Paranormalcy and Mind Games, but . . .

I loved Illusions of Fate. I was completed absorbed in it. Jessamin is so completely interesting and kick-ass and Finn was so cool and sooooo hot, and the world and its magic was so finely built. And I wept over a bird. Which is unusual for me.

Her best book ever, in my opinion. :)
Neil (or bleed)
3.5

I almost on hold reading Illusions of Fate because I'm getting bored and the story doesn't make sense but fortunately I didn't give up on this one. The middle part until the end, I daresay, was great. It redeemed my dull moments reading this book and made me realized how satisfying and enthralling the story was.

The historical aspect and the characters were the reason why I continued reading this book at first but when the second part comes (which is the middle until end) there are several rea
Nereyda (Nick & Nereyda's Infinite Booklist)
Confession: I did want to read this book mostly because of the cover. Are you surprised? Of course not, the cover is gorgeous! Luckily, the summary also sounded pretty damn good which only made me want to read the book even more. Even though I’m a fan of historicals, the fantasy aspect of it had me intrigued. Illusions of Fate had me hooked from the first line:
Dear Mama, I am most certainly not dead.

Jessamin moved to Albion to study at a prestigious school, but being from Melei and with her ex
Lexie
Oct 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2016
I love Hitchcock's Birds. I love Poe's Raven. I also love dragons. Basically, my love of creepy flying animals knows no bounds. So Illusions of Fate, with its abundance of creepy flying animals was right up my alley. (The only thing that could have made it better was a dragon.)

Full review to come.
Justine

I still haven't found a 5 star worthy book for this year, but I thought this was really close; in fact, I might round up to 5 if I dwell on the positive aspects of this book. I'm gonna make a bold claim by saying that this is fantasy lite at its finest. The word building, though lacking some details, is highly creative and inventive. The setting is different from the usual high fantasy setting and I thought the inclusion of racial issues and colonial references is a nice touch. It great
Ceilidh
Jul 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
It’s disappointing to see a novel that displayed as much potential as Illusions of Fate stumble over so many hurdles towards its fizzling ending. The book reaches out to readers yet repeatedly pulls back, offering moments of wit and spark amidst a rushed and underdeveloped concept that seems so unsure of itself. While it’s a quick read and never a slog, it sits comfortably in that middling spot, never quite striving for more.

Read my full review at Bibliodaze.

Milka
Apr 10, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Dear Illusions of Fate, THANK YOU for taking me out of a brief reading slump.

Jessamin is from Melei, a beautiful island nation filled with colorful flowers and affectionate people. Now living in Albion, a country known for its stiff traditions and distaste for Melei, Jessamin, with her dark skin and hair, does not exactly fit in. Studying a school where everyone sees her as an island rat and working in a hotel just to earn enough money for living, Jessamin's life is far from luxury. Everything
Kassidy
Feb 17, 2014 rated it liked it
*3.5*

This is an entertaining fantasy read, with a historical feel. I really like the main character, she is interesting and different. The magic aspect of this book is really cool. I also like the political undertones that are thrown in.
I wish I could give it a higher rating, but it just wasn't GREAT for me. I liked it well enough, and there aren't any glaring faults, but it's just not very memorable.
Alyssa

Publication Date: September 9, 2014
Rating: 4 stars
Source: eARC from Edelweiss

Summary (from Goodreads):

“I did my best to keep you from crossing paths with this world. And I shall do my best to protect you now that you have.”

Jessamin has been an outcast since she moved from her island home of Melei to the dreary country of Albion. Everything changes when she meets Finn, a gorgeous, enigmatic youn
Rowan
Sep 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Check out my review on Rowan Reads and Raves!

If I’m being totally honest, I knew nothing about this book when I ordered it, I just saw the gorgeous cover, noticed the word magic in the summary and I was sold. And seriously you guys, take a second to admire that cover, it’s so pretty. But when I picked this up from the library, I was alarmed to see how short it was. I felt cheated. I was promised a tale with interesting characters, a swoony romance, great world-building, magic and fate… Kiersten
Kristy (Book Nerd Reviews)
Illusions of Fate may well be my favourite Kiersten White book to date. This beautifully written story is captivating, thrilling and intriguing. Coupled with a lush setting, and brilliant characters this is one book not to be missed!

Jessamin leaves her island home to move Albion to further her studies. And it is not an easy place for her to be. Jessamin is darker skinned, poor and from Melei, and none of these things are a good thing according to the wealthy, privileged, and mostly elitist socie
Alicia Batista (Addicted Readers)

4 Stars

ILLUSIONS OF FATE is a magically enchanting, highly emotional, and beautifully written. With a spiraling world of ups and downs, that will have you swaying with the need for more.

With it's highly complex characters, to it's richly dramatic world, and it's sweeping magical undertow, it's made for a thrilling adventure that will keep you on your toes until the very end.

I was hooked from the beginning of ILLUSIONS OF FATE . It was something about this book that instantly drew me in. B
Giovanna
Jun 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Rachel Hawkins' Hex Hall
3.5

I'm honestly surprised. Because while I bought this book thinking that I could like it I always feared that I wouldn't. I remember being really disappointed with Paranormalcy and calling it a cheesy and silly book and that's why I didn't know whether to pick this one up or not. It turns out
Julia
I read this book as a part of BookTubeAThon 2015:
3. Read someone else's favourite book

Fantasy isn't my genre. I'm not a big fan of all this magic-related-stuff. And I didn't have high expectations, when it came to this book (let's be honest, I rarely do have them). And if I saw this book and knew no one of my friends read it, I wouldn't even pick it up. But I'm glad I did. Especially without reading the synopsis.

Illusions of Fate is one of those really fast paced books: you can't put it down. Ea
Kierstan
This book is so stinking cute. Like really, so cute.

This is my first Kiersten White book. I knew that I wanted to give one of her books a try, after reading her short story in My True Love Gave To Me. Now I want to go out and purchase the rest of her books, because this was just so adorable.

This was a nice quick read. It combines all of my favorite YA elements. Important friendship, sense of self and determination, throw in a little magic, and an adorable romance. You have a true winner. This b
Madison
Ok wow.. what to say.. what to say..

Well I did enjoy this book a lot, it was a lot of fun and it made me a bit emotional at times but most of the time I just wanted the book to finish. It wasn't boring but it just felt so.. I don't know. I felt like this story had no personality to it, it felt bland even though it wasn't. The plot, characters and world were cool as hell so I don't know why I felt the way I'm feeling about it.

I would recommend this to anyone who is looking for a nice, fun read!

shady boots | #WatchPOSE
I liked this! Very different for Kiersten White, and different in a good way. I had fun.
E.V. Fairfall
Sep 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super fun book! We found Kiersten White through her short story in "My True Love Gave to Me" and will continue to read her work.
  • House of Ivy & Sorrow
  • The Lovely and the Lost (The Dispossessed, #2)
  • The Fire Wish (The Jinni Wars, #1)
  • Chasing Power
  • Salt & Storm (Salt & Storm, #1)
  • Lailah (The Styclar Saga, #1)
  • Beware the Wild (Beware the Wild, #1)
  • Brazen
  • Dark Metropolis (Dark Metropolis, #1)
  • Stray (Four Sisters, #1)
  • Tsarina
  • Strange and Ever After (Something Strange and Deadly, #3)
  • The Perilous Sea (The Elemental Trilogy, #2)
  • The Dark World (Dark World, #1)
  • Born of Deception (Born of Illusion, #2)
  • Winter Falls (Twin Willows, #1)
  • Exquisite Captive (Dark Caravan Cycle, #1)
  • Don't Touch
Kiersten White is the New York Times bestselling author of many books for teens and young readers, including And I Darken, Now I Rise, Bright We Burn, The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein, and Slayer. She lives with her family near the ocean in San Diego, where she perpetually lurks in the shadows. Visit Kiersten online at KierstenWhite.com and follow @KierstenWhite on Twitter.

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Matter (Odyssey One, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • The Birthday of the World and Other Stories
    $11.49 $1.99
  • Obsidian Son (The Temple Chronicles, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • CyberStorm
  • Departure
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Renegades (Renegades, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Nexis (Tricksters, #1)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Spindle Fire (Spindle Fire #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Logan's Run: Vintage Movie Classics (A Vintage Movie Classic)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Pandemic (The Extinction Files #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
“Shadows go in front of you, leading into your future, and trail behind you, leaving a part of you in the past. They are clearest when we are in the light, and disappear when we lose ourselves in darkness.” 37 likes
“He follows my eyes and curses, then slides his hands beneath my legs and back. "What are you doing?"
"Picking you up so we can run!"
"Don't be daft, my hand is broken, not my feet!"
"Right, that was stupid. Stupid.”
22 likes