Jump to ratings and reviews

Jade Calhoun #1

Haunted on Bourbon Street

Jade loves her new apartment—until a ghost joins her in the shower!

When empath Jade Calhoun moves into an apartment above a strip bar on Bourbon Street, she expects life to get interesting. What she doesn't count on is making friends with an exotic dancer, attracting a powerful spirit, and developing feelings for Kane, her sexy landlord.

Being an empath has never been easy on Jade's relationships. It's no wonder she keeps her gift a secret. But when the ghost moves from spooking Jade to terrorizing Pyper, the dancer, it's up to Jade to use her unique ability to save her. Except she'll need Kane's help to do it—and he's betrayed her with a secret of his own. Can she find a way to trust him and herself before Pyper is lost?

262 pages, Paperback

First published January 1, 2011

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Deanna Chase

125 books1,558 followers
Deanna is a native Californian, transplanted to the slower paced lifestyle of southeastern Louisiana. When she isn't writing, she is often goofing off with her husband in New Orleans, playing with her two shih tzu dogs, making glass beads, or out hocking her wares at various bead shows across the country. For more information and updates on newest releases visit her blog at www.deannachase.com.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Profile Image for Ian.
1,336 reviews188 followers
April 16, 2013
2.5 Stars

A lot of books have been written...and this is one of them.

Oh look! A squirrel.

description

Profile Image for Bookgirlr.
117 reviews6 followers
October 18, 2012
I love a good ghost story. After reading the above description of Haunted on Bourbon Street I was super excited. However, this novel was not all that I had hoped it would be. The story itself was wonderful and I did enjoy that aspect of the novel. The idea that author Deanna Chase has come up with is wonderful. Who wouldn't love an empath who can connect with ghosts and who befriends the lovable strippers who work below her apartment. This story could have been great, and shows a lot of promise.
The writing however, is what left much to be desired. In Haunted on Bourbon Street the characters are flat and large chunks of time are skipped over with no explanation. These large chunks of time simply seem to be spots where the author didn't know how to describe certain things, or perhaps it's where she got bored and wanted to skip ahead to the sexy bits. However, by skipping chunks of time she leaves the reader hanging. The author, Deanna Chase, may know what happens during these chunks of missing time but the reader doesn't. And perhaps she would argue that what happened during those missing moments, hours, or days doesn't impact the story that she is trying to tell, but the way she handles it leaves the reader confused. If a story teller is going to leave out large periods of time a bit of explanation is still required. Because of the unprofessional writing I recommend that readers skip this novel and spend your time reading something else.
Profile Image for Brenda.
3,972 reviews2,585 followers
May 15, 2021
Jade Calhoun was looking forward to her new life in New Orleans. She’d moved into an apartment above a strip bar, and it didn’t take her long to make friends with the dancer and partner of the bar, Pyper and Kane, her landlord and Pyper’s business partner. But her sense of peace was shattered when a ghost decided to keep close to Jade, freaking her out immensely. Jade was an empath, and it was only her best friend Kat who knew. But it wouldn’t be long before she needed to use her abilities to save Pyper from the darkness which hovered around her…

Haunted on Bourbon Street is the 1st in the Jade Calhoun series by Deanna Chase and I quite enjoyed it. The magic, spells, ghosts and spirits were intriguing, and the characters played their parts well. I needed a book with an alcohol in the title, so this one fit perfectly. And visiting the French Quarter in New Orleans for the second time in a week (How to Mend a Broken Heart) was pretty good – about the only way I’ll do it, anyway! Recommended.
Profile Image for Donna (BLHmistress).
171 reviews85 followers
January 7, 2013
I have had this book sitting on my Kindle for a long time and I just now got to it . I honestly could kick myself for not reading this sooner. I read this book in one setting, it was that damned good. The story was fast paced and kept me guessing right up to the end.

Jade knows her new apartment is haunted but figured it couldn't be that bad not that she really believed until it visits her one evening. Then she has nothing but problems since. Along the way she finds she has two guys vying for her attention. One, whom she is equally attracted to. And because of her gift she is leery in trusting people getting close to her.

I haven't read too many books dealing with ghosts so this was a refreshing change and I enjoyed it immensely. So much so in fact I bought the next two books in this series. I can't wait to dive into them and I found another author to add to my auto buy list.

So would I recommend yes without a doubt, if you love witches, ghosts, angels mixed with hot smexy action. This book is for you.
Profile Image for Jenn.
420 reviews205 followers
January 14, 2015
Well now. This was pretty awful. So when you write a story in a city famed for culture and architecture and a real vibe, make that come to life. There are sounds your feet make walking in the quarter, the constant music, the tourists who never grasp it isn't actually Mardi Gras 365 days a year and no, no one wants to flash you their tits in the middle of winter. There's the smells of the food, the street artists, the visual of the lights, the carriage horses, the market, and all the beautiful buildings lining the streets.

This book could have been set anywhere because I got zero sense of New Orleans, other than the paranormal, which seems a bit tired plot device in the city, but whatevs - I knew what I was getting in to with the title alone.

Then, there are the characters, which I got no depth from and felt no emotion towards. And when you refer to a ghost as 'Mr. Sexy' a part of me dies. Standard brooding guy likes standard woman who likes brooding guy and I struggled to remember her name. Bea was an all right character, if only because she reminded me of Zelda from Poltergeist.

But come on, this is paranormal. The ghosts should be scary or tragic or even funny, but these in the end felt anticlimactic and barely served a purpose. And the empath and other magical tricks didn't feel explored enough to be interesting, but rather checked boxes.

It gets two stars because I can see some people liking this if you want a cozy-type mystery with light romance. Alas, it was a disappointment for me.
Profile Image for Nola Arganbright.
1,589 reviews28 followers
October 12, 2019
Adult version cozy

A fantastic read. I was very surprised at the adult content of the book. Very sexy and romantic as well as exciting and suspenseful!
Profile Image for Emily.
115 reviews10 followers
October 5, 2011
I have often reviewed several books like this and though most take the turn for the overly sexual sometimes loss of the sight of the books true purpose I have to give it to Deanna Chase for keeping the scenes steamy but not piled on alot and not making Jade out to be a perfect woman, or a woman that would take any man. The links and ties created to characters were genuine and well thought out. Even the sexual tension built up was well explained and even kept you on the edge of your seat waiting for the moments they would fully explode. I enjoyed that she kept that concept and the thrill there not making this a sleazy fast book. I turned the pages cause I was eager to and find out how it all ended and where things went I even liked the twist in the end that took me by surprised.

All in all this was a wonderful story and book and I look forward like always to more from this Author. I won it in a library Thing give away and it has not been a let down from the description, the first page and to the last it was a wonderful imaginative ride.
Profile Image for Julie .
3,989 reviews58.9k followers
September 5, 2013
Haunted on Bourbon Street by Deanna Chase is a Steel Magnolia Press publication. This book was originally published in July 2011. This book is currently available in the kindle store. (9-5-2013 it was listed for free. Please check price before buying) This book is also included in the box set "Forbidden Lovers". which is currently on sale for .99 in the kindle store. Again, please take note of the price before purchasing.
Jade has moved to New Orleans at the urging of her friend Kate. The backstory of their friendship is that they came from a bad place and escaped with the aid of Dan, Jade's former fiancé, and Kate's current boyfriend. Although, this is an awkward situation, Kate and Jade work to maintain their friendship.
Jade begins work in a coffee shop that is located in the same building as a strip club. Her boss, Pyper and the club's owner, Kane, are business associates with a bit of a past. When Jade moves into her new apartment, Pyper helps her get settled. But, there is something or someone in Jade's apartment that is unsettled. Pyper calls in a friend, Ian, a ghost hunter, to discover what is going on in Jade's apartment. Meanwhile, Jade begins to have erotic dreams. The "ghost" appears to be somehow responsible. Jade is also fighting an attraction to Kane and has a disturbing run in with Dan that puts distance between her and Kate.

While Jade is having steamy dreams, Pyper is having an all together different experience in her dreams. It appears that the ghost isn't as fond of Pyper, which could mean Pyper is in danger.

Will Ian be able to determine who the ghost is? Will Kane and Jade be able to accept each others paranormal gifts?

This book started off with a lot of zing. I was really into it. Somewhere around the middle of the book though, my mind started wandering a little. I love ghost stories. There are more vampires, werewolves, zombies and so forth than ghost these days. So, I was really happy about that. I also loved the 'dreamwalking' . That was a unique paranormal gift. The romance is good, but, the chemistry was a little forced to me. The story was a little uneven at times. Characters showed up in the middle of the book and then there became too many people to keep up with.
However, I still enjoyed the story for the most part and think the series has potential.
Overall I give this one a C+. Check out all the value book from Steel Magnolia Press at http://smarturl.it/smp
Profile Image for WhiskeyintheJar.
1,254 reviews516 followers
October 4, 2017
I read this for the Haunted Houses square for Halloween Bingo

Ice numbed my hands and moved up my arms, making me shiver. I pointed to a shadow, black as coal, moving across the far wall. We stood, paralyzed, while the image grew larger and moved toward us.

This is the first in the series, but I checked twice to makes sure, I felt pretty lost as the author just hurls the reader into the mix of characters and her paranormal world. Jade is an empathy who can sense and read other people's emotions and I guess, has trust issues with witches. When she moves into an new apartment, it turns out to be haunted by ghost that she eventually calls Mr. Sexy, because of the sensual dreams she starts to have starring him.
At the same time, her boss and new friend Pyper is having horrible dreams where a man she calls Mr. Evil is scaring her in her dreams. At first, they think it is the same ghost, kind of a forced story thread to keep the mystery component going as it seems obvious there are two different ghosts.
Along the way with trying to figure out who is haunting the two women, Jade has a blossoming romance with her apartment's owner, an on the fritz friendship because the friend is now dating her ex (this whole storyline was confusing and not nearly enough flushed out but as this is a series, I think the author plans on addressing this in the next), and Jade finding out about ghosts, angels, and her other powers.
There was a lot going on, not always laid out or explained the best, or personal relationships fully flushed out but I can see the series getting better as the author settles into her created world and characters.
Profile Image for Marta Cox.
2,530 reviews190 followers
May 18, 2018
I’m ashamed to say that I’ve had this title on my kindle for ages without reading it and to make matters worse I’ve even read stories that come way after this one. So it was about time I took stock of just how Jade arrived in New Orleans and actually came to be living above a strip club.
Jade is an empath with a talent for creating glass but that alone doesn’t pay the bills so here she is working part time in a coffee shop that adjoins the club next door . Now Jade needs a place to stay ( long story) and it just so happens that there’s an affordable apartment above the club but Jade isn’t alone and her ‘guest’ is definitely not of this world !
Well new friends, old friends, exes and of course ghosts all play a part here. It’s a fun, light story that introduces Jade and those who come to be an intrinsical part of her life. There’s the beginning of a romance but what drives this plot is the ghosts and even though I did kind of guess something there were still surprises in store. This is just the beginning of Jades journey and occasionally felt a little cheesy but as a vehicle to introduce characters worked very well. There are things hinted at which will be fully revealed as the series progresses but alas I’m not overly fond of teasers which is reflected in my score.
Profile Image for Maggie K.
465 reviews121 followers
September 30, 2013
Upon reading the description, I thought this was going to be an Urban Fantasy about an Empath with ghost issues, which sounded intriguing to me. It's really a romance novel though, about an empath who has a lot of sex dreams, with one of the 'partners' being a ghost.

I would have loved to have seen the empath idea being explored more than just seeing if her hot landlord was into her. The sex scenes were kind of gratuitous, and her big turn-on of 'eyes like pools of chocolate' did not work for me. As the term was used A LOT, I found myself skipping over those scenes.

In the end, I liked it, but more for what it could have been rather than what it was.
Profile Image for Elle G. Reads.
1,482 reviews689 followers
March 8, 2016
:: 3.5 Ghostly Stars ::

This book is free on amazon

This book is a good paranormal romance. However, instead of being light and fluffy as I hoped, it was a bit stiff for me. Some of the characters (like Jade) seemed a little too serious for “role”. I assumed she would be a bit more playful and spunky, but she fell flat. Her emotions were really jumbled and I had a hard time following what she wanted within the story. In addition to this, some parts of the book were really lagging while other parts of the book kept me insanely interested. So, overall I would consider this a good read, with a 3.5 rating.
Profile Image for Jana Brown.
Author 8 books46 followers
Read
December 14, 2018
Disclaimer: I read this whole book while under the influence of a head cold and cough syrup. This may have skewed my opinions one way or the other.

So the tl;dr of my reveiw is that this book is kinda like cheddar flavored popcorn. It's light, and fluffy, and salty and may leave unidentifiable orange stuff behind on your fingers.

Haunted on Bourbon Street is definitely a paranormal romance. The emphasis of the story is on the romance from beginning to end with plenty of insta lust, thinking about sex, dreaming about sex, and two explicit sex scenes. I wasn't surprised with any of the plot twists and at points I was actively annoyed with the characters because they were taking so long to get to the obvious. I also disliked the points where I could see the author manipulating events. Where things happened not because it was natural to the story or the characters but because the author needed it to happen. For example when all this bad ghost stuff is going on the ghost experts just happen to take off for a few days to parts unknown and can't be reached. Really? You're going to take off while your friend is dealing with actively agressive ghosts? What kind of friend does that make you? I don't believe they really would have gone, but the author needed them gone so the answer couldn't be reached simply so le poof. That's lazy writing.

Another big bug is something I've reviewed about before. Every city/setting has character, but some city/settings are characters unto themselves, and you don't put a story there if you aren't going to embrace that character. New Orleans is one of these cities. It's not enough to drop a handful of locations or foods to capture the character of a city like Nawlins. It has a feeling to it, to the way people talk, to the smells and sounds, and that character is critical. If you're putting your story in Nawlins (London, Paris, San Francisco, etc) you need to have a good reason for it and you need to do it right. And I was never there. I felt like this story could have taken place anywhere, and that was disappointing.

So what did I like? I liked the friendships we were allowed to see between the characters. I liked Bea, even though we still know very little about her. I liked the idea of the powers which were introduced, though I don't think they were well defined or consistent enough.

Soo...I guess that's that. It was a fun romp while I was reading, but I don't feel driven to pick up the next one or reread it.

Content: Sex, violence, abuse, moderate swearing, drinking (most of the story takes place in and around a strip club with everything that entails).
November 22, 2018
This book didn't start out so great. In fact it felt like a bit of a hot mess at first and I thought there was a little chance I would be moving on with the series but i pushed on and found the further i got into it the more I enjoyed it. By about half way or so, it felt like the author started to hit her stride and all of the pieces started to come together and by the end, I was ready not only ready to give the rest of the series a chance but actually kind of eager to.

I think the main problem was that the main character jade annoyed me a little at first and there seemed to be quite a lot of questions raised and and a lot of setting up to be done. which interefered with the flow of the story. However, once the author got into the flow, it was an interesting ride until the end. The author introduced some interesting quirky characters who I am sure e will see more of as the series progresses and there was satisfaction in the initial mystery being solved to bring about the resolution of this book .

I will definitely be reading more of this series. Actual rating 3 1/2 stars
Profile Image for Riayl.
1,082 reviews36 followers
January 15, 2016
The description leads you to think, "oh, cool new urban fantasy series with an empath who also sees ghosts".

Sadly, no.

Jade doesn't really do anything with her empathy. I suppose I was expecting her to solve the mystery of the ghost with her empathy but basically all she does is eavesdrop on everyone's emotions, both accidentally and on purpose. There were some interesting characters and story lines that were introduced and then went nowhere. Instead we spend most of our time with Jade, angsting over her relationship with Kane & with his "betrayal". *rolls eyes*

Jade is rather unlikable and pretty damn lame.

Also, first person, WHY? *wails*
Profile Image for chucklesthescot.
2,904 reviews118 followers
July 25, 2015
This looked like a lighter version of an urban fantasy book with an interesting plot but boy, can looks be deceiving!. This is paranormal chicklit with a plot based around sex, and I found it quite dull and boring.

The characters are horrific. Jade seems to sit and drool at the bar owner, and think cute thoughts about the ghost hunter who tries to help her. It felt like every guy she came into contact with stirred up her hormones on some level. Her psycho ex boyfriend is now sleeping with her best friend Kat. He is a violent scumbag bully who wants to make Jade suffer but Kat the dopey cow is too dumb and brainless to think he is anything other than God. Our gorgeous bar owner is an arrogant sleazebag who makes my skin crawl.

Ugh. Bad characters, no plot, and nothing of interest to report here.
Profile Image for N.N. Heaven.
Author 6 books1,778 followers
August 15, 2017
Jade is an empath and when she moves into her new apartment, the last thing she expected was to have a shower with a ghost. Ghosts she can handle, dating a guy who understands her special gift is another matter. Life gets complicated when her resident ghost haunts her friend, Pyper. Now she needs Kane's help but that's a mine field all in itself. Can Jade save her friend before its too late and if she does, will she finally find love? Anything can happen on Bourbon Street.

I loved this book! It was like the gang of Sex and the City meets Charmed. I laughed heartily and that's a good thing. A must read!

My Rating: 5 stars
Profile Image for Cinna Marie.
214 reviews23 followers
December 7, 2020
Stars: 3/5

Finally getting through these books that i've half read throughout the year!

Characters: 6. I'm going to say it - Jade, the MC pissed me off a fair bit, Kane also because he had so many red flags to me! The others were pretty cool but there were so many for a relatively short book.

Atmosphere: 6. There honestly wasn't much to it. The cafe was cool.

Writing: 4. the actual physical writing was good but the story? ughhh. Jade was annoying because of the amount of times she was hurt. You know those MCs that get hurt/ a new wound every second chapter or are overly and unnecessarily clumsy? This was Jade. I hated it. Kane was so over protective and did not leave the girl alone, turned up in her house unannounced. IN HER HOUSE and was conveniently EVERYWHERE. Also she was an employee and somehow managed to get just about everything for free. Everywhere. Some other aspects/ characters are super creepy

Plot: 6. It was alright. I did not get into it at all. Started it as a spooky read in October and here I am in early Dec forcing myself to finish the remaining 3/4. The empath part was cool but became so frustrating in the end. So much crying. Also didn't understand the end scene/ climax.

Intrigue: 7. Thought it was going to be a cool witchy read for Halloween. Turns out the MC has something against witches and isn't one herself. Misleading cover. Didn't live up to what I was expecting.

Logic: 6. Started off good, ended badly. Again, did not understand the ending.

Enjoyment: 5. It was ok. Forced myself to finish because I hate DNFing

WARNINGS: mature content, suggestions of physical or sexual abuse, verbal abuse

RECOMMEND: for 18+ it's quite descriptive of mature scenes from memory. For those who like cliches and MCs that cry and get hurt a lot

Profile Image for Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures).
1,518 reviews855 followers
May 14, 2019
Haunted on Bourbon Street is book one in the Jade Calhoun series by Deanna Chase.

I’m baffled on this one. I feel like I’m missing a book or a prequel to this novel. Their are connections with characters that I just don’t understand which makes me wonder if their was something before this novel.

As for the mystery it is second to the relationships and romance in Haunted on Bourbon Street. I prefer it to be the other way around.

Jade is unimpressive. I wanted to like her, but she is just too reserved. She’s an empath with a talent for creating glass. When we start the story she’s in need of a place to stay and it so happens that an affordable apartment opened up over the club next door to the coffee shop she works at. What bothered me about Jade is that she acts like she knows her stuff and what she’s doing, but she has no idea. She couldn’t even figure out that their where two different ghost. One haunting her and the other her friend Pyper. To top it off she couldn't figure out that one was good and the other evil.

Theirs a bit of romance blooming between Jade and Kane. The one thing that irritated me was the big blow up with Kane. Jane was defiantly being hypocritical. It was just unnecessary drama.

We are also introduced to several characters. New friends, old friends, exes and of course ghosts. One character that stood out, not in a good way, was Ian an expert ghost hunter. Unfortunately he’s not an export. We spent a lot of the story with him running around with his gadgets doing readings and then having him talk about those results. It was annoying and not interesting in the least. Now, Pyper I really enjoyed her. She was fun and energetic.

As for the mystery it takes about 70% for the characters to learn who the ghosts are and what to do about them. The author crammed a lot of the stuff into the last third of the book. It’s where we get most of the world building and explanations and motives.

Haunted on Bourbon Street was ok. Some areas of the book where interesting and others fell flat. If the blurb intrigues you, I urge you to give it a shot. Just because it did not work for me does not mean it won’t for you.

Rated: 2 Stras

angelsgp-seethisreview-blure
Profile Image for Brandy Dorsch.
Author 18 books133 followers
January 2, 2013
This is the first book in the Jade Calhoun series and I really enjoyed it. I was not familiar with this author before this book so I love finding someone new to read!

Jade Calhoun is an empath that has moved to New Orleans and into an apartment above a strip club. While that in itself may bother some folks she is fine with it until she discovers her apartment is haunted. She does not share her empath abilities with anyone since her last relationship was destroyed because of them. I love the fact that she is creative and is into beadmaking. I thought that was a great niche that the author created. When an evil spirit attaches itself to her friend, Jade will use all the skills and people at her disposal to save her.

This story is full of wonderful characters that include a stripper friend that runs a coffee shop, a sexy landlord with secrets of his own, an ex-boyfriend that used to be a best friend, and a whole cast of ghosts, witches and friends that make this story a must have on your TBR list.

Profile Image for Moondance.
1,008 reviews49 followers
September 15, 2016
There was no way I was sharing my new two-hundred square foot apartment with a ghost.

Jade Calhoun is an empath who has moved to New Orleans from Idaho to broaden her horizons. She rents an apartment over a strip club from Kane and works in a local café. Jade is befriended by exotic dancer, Pyper who becomes the focus of her ghost.

I don't even know where to start. The premise of the story was intriguing. However, it never really fleshed out into much of anything. I was disappointed that the location was not played up a bit more. You are an empath in one of the most fascinating cities in the US and it is not used to your advantage. The characters seem stiff and clichéd (the nerdy ghost hunter, the stripper with a heart of gold). Jade's dreams that were meant to be sexy came across as creepy. This could have been a fun read if just a little more effort had gone into character building. Instead, it falls flat.
Profile Image for ᴥ Irena ᴥ.
1,649 reviews212 followers
December 14, 2017
To be honest, I have no idea what to think of this book. I didn't hate it, so there's that. That blurb sounds as an interesting story. I wish I could read it.

Haunted on Bourbon Street has too many issues to be likeable, though. Most events happen out of the blue, whether it is about ghost encounters, meeting new people, liking them, or the romance.

I got tired of people telling Jade how special she is. Plus, there was a threat of a love triangle at first and I did hate that. Jade is also a kind of a hypocrite. I forgave her because she acknowledges it at least.
Most characters sound as if they're just a bit older than teens.

I don't think I am interested in this series.
Profile Image for ✨ Gramy ✨ .
1,382 reviews
November 15, 2018
In my opinion, this was an okay read. There wasn't much depth or character development. The paranormal aspects were sketchy in the believability department... the author just hurls the reader into the mix of characters and her paranormal world.

I agree with another review which stated: "The author didn't capture the quirkiness and uniqueness of New Orleans at all and the protagonist lived right on Bourbon St." I, too, am not into literary porn. So I skimmed right over these passages.

It wasn't horrible, but I have no plans to read the remainder of the series.
Profile Image for Christian Nikitas.
231 reviews50 followers
January 9, 2021
Interesting story, but I felt the romance was rushed. I get how it was supposed to be instant connection and practically love at first sight, but it seemed more like just lust. I could also do with less bedroom details, but at least the focus of the book did seem to be on the actual story and not the story just being a bonus.
Profile Image for Debrac2014.
1,845 reviews10 followers
January 12, 2023
This wasn't what I expected from the synopsis! Scarier than expected!
Profile Image for Valerie.
436 reviews22 followers
May 19, 2013
So I am truly glad that I did not let the low star count for reviews turn me off from reading this book. I have had it on my Kindle for sometime and did not realize what a great book I was missing out on.

I was captured from the first page of the book. I am a big fan of the Paranormal genre and found that I will be adding this author to my list of must read.

This book had a little bit of everything mixed up into a really nice story line. I definitely had myself stressed a little on what was going to happen, lol. The characters all seemed to mesh very nice together and really helped with putting the story together. The author did a great job at writing and very little grammar/spelling issues (which to me is no big deal and does not change a rating for me).

Jade has a special gift and a gift that she prefers not to share, due to the fact the last time she shared her gift it caused her heartache and pain. The only person who knows is her Aunt Gwen and her best friend Kat. She moves to New Orleans on the request of her best friend. Here she settles into a small studio apartment above a strip club called Wicked. This is where she encounters her ghost and everything seems to take a different turn.

In steps Kane, the owner of the club.....Wow....hotness all rolled up into a nice little man package, lol....who wouldn't want a guy who is super hot, sweet as can be and mysterious in his own way....I would!! He is definitely on my top list for book boyfriends.

I am not sure where the others didn't see the issue at hand with Dan and Jade. It was mentioned in the story line why Dan pretty much hates Jade. So I wasn't confused on that aspect. I think there will be more to their story maybe in the other books to come. I can't wait to read them!!

This book was so great that I started and finished in a day! I have a feeling nothing will get done around the house till I finish the rest of the books, lol.

Don't let the low grade on reviews stop you from picking up this book! I thoroughly enjoyed it and look forward to reading more from this author!
January 22, 2020
Title: "Haunted on Bourbon Street"
Written by: Deanna Chase
Narrated by: Traci Odom
Format: audiobook via audible.com
My rating: 4/5 stars
Started: 03.20.15
Completed: 03.22.15 (entirely)

My remarks:

Four SOLID/5 stars! I almost dropped that fifth one as I reeeeally liked this story! I may have liked it even more had I read it & not listened to it, but I'm not sure.

The narrator was adequate, but I found myself needing to rewind & re-listen many times throughout; I have found that's often due to my mind wandering & not feeling engaged while listening. Sadly & whether it's appropriate or not: I pin that on the poor narrator! (Apologies! No offense intended!).

I adore almost anything paranormal & this was definitely such! I do have to admit to getting irritated with "main characters" when they're ignoring/fighting their "gift" &/or keeping it a secret from an important friend, family member, significant other, etc., but not enough as to ruin the story for me. I loved the chemistry among the main gang of characters: Jade and Kane (yum), Pyper, Kat, etc. & the strip-club addition was a fun little twist to the story, IMHO! ;)

I'll definitely give book two a go, but I'm not sure which format I'll try next time.

No spoilers, just my rambling thoughts!

Thanks for stopping by, fellow reader! Enjoy! :))

Cheers!
Lisa (@NurseLisainOhio)
Feel free to ADD ME as your friend! I'm always up for sharing book lists & ideas!!! ☺️
Profile Image for Tina.
302 reviews410 followers
February 21, 2019
I won this book from the Member Giveaways on LibraryThing.

I really enjoyed this book! After reading the synopsis I was skeptical- knowing that she is an "empath", that there would be ghosts, and that she lived over a strip club had me questioning how much I would enjoy this book. I'm very glad I started it. As soon as I read the first few pages, I was hooked. Essentially, Jade Calhoun is new in town and strikes up a friendship with a girl running a strip bar and a coffee shot (Pyper). She meets her landlord, Kane, and the attraction is immediate. She ends up finding out that her apartment and possibly the whole building is haunted, and has to find out how to deal with her ghost as well as others that might be present. Without giving too much away, I thought the author did a nice job infusing the supernatural with romance. It did get a little sexual at times, but it quickly got back on track.

The ending was really good- tied up all of the loose ends but left some room for other books in the series. It's entertaining, well-written, and a quick read, and I can't wait for the next books in the series.
Profile Image for Aneesa Price.
Author 6 books285 followers
October 16, 2012
A review of Haunted on Bourbon Street (Jade Calhoun #1) by Deanna Chase

*My kind of book*

As an author and an avid reader of paranormal romance, this book was thoroughly enjoyable. The author has a good plot with enough complexity, interesting characters, a delectable hero, a heroine easy to relate to and a fabulous setting! There are many books out there that don't necessarily deliver complexity in layering the story along with a new twist in paranormal - this one does!

Reviewed by Aneesa Price, author and member of WaAr
Displaying 1 - 30 of 1,119 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.