Start by marking “The New Perspective on Paul: An Introduction” as Want to Read:
The New Perspective on Paul: An Introduction

The New Perspective on Paul: An Introduction

Can someone please explain this "New Perspective on Paul"? Where did it come from and will it help or hinder Christian interpreters to grasp the apostle's writings more clearly? In The New Perspective on Paul: An Introduction, Kent Yinger provides concise, readable, and authoritative answers to these and other questions currently exercising students of Paul.

"The New Persp
Published January 1st 2011 by Cascade Books, an imprint of Wipf and Stock Publishers (first published December 31st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The New Perspective on Paul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Perspective on Paul

Corey Hampton
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is probably the best (as far as accessibility goes) introduction to NPP, in all of its diversity, today. I highly recommend it to all people to read, especially before dismissing NPP.
Nathan Parker
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This resource is an excellent overview concerning the New Perspective (or new perspectives) on Paul, and it has deepened my interest in studying this biblical research topic further. While I have not conducted enough research yet to form a solid evaluation concerning the New Perspective on Paul, this resource has been a great starting point to guide me into deeper study on this topic. Even though Pauline Studies is not my biblical academic major, it is a topic I wish to better understand in orde ...more
Vincent
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent introduction

An excellent introduction very useful to those who are new to the New Perspective on Paul. Well worth the price of the book, hopefully you'll purchase this body of work.
Brian Chilton
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book was a great introduction to the issues and controversies surrounding the New Perspective of Paul (NPP). Short and concise.
Chris
Sep 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short little primer on the New Perspective on Paul (NPP).

There's been a massive shift in New Testament scholarship, beginning more than 40 years ago, in which Biblical scholars of the NPP have been questioning the traditional Protestant interpretation of Paul's writings. The idea is that some of the main assumptions of Luther, and the theologians who came after him, are built on a mischaracterization of the Jewish religion, and the ignoring of the context in which the New Testament books were
Paul Patterson
Dec 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing! Best intro on New Perspectives on Paul that I have read. Would that there were more interpreters of theological and Biblical themes so fair, clear and inspiring. He includes a thorough reading list that I will be referring to again. Seriously if you read this book you will know the terrain to be covered and the potential pitfalls as well.
Trevor Morrison
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A Helpful Overview of the Controversy

I'm new to this controversy, so I'm not qualified to comment on the book's accuracy. However, it has given me a set of questions and categories to keep in mind as I do further reading, and I think that it would make a good starting point for anyone else interested in learning about this debate.
Ben
Apr 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you have never heard of, or are a newbie to the "New Perspective" on Paul, this is a great introduction. The author is clear and concise, gets to the main issues (and players) at hand, and will prepare you for further study on the topic if you wish.
Dustin Bagby
Sep 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A clear, concise, and readable introduction to the NPP. You can literally read this book in one or two sittings and get the "gist" of the debate. This will be a very helpful introduction for those who are brand new to the discussion.
Spencer
Oct 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad little introduction to the New Perspective on Paul. He goes though Sanders, Dunn, and Wright, while summarizing key criticisms. Everything you want in an introduction.
Brian Leport
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid intro, esp. relevant for seminarians and pastors.
Jenny