Start by marking “The Ravine” as Want to Read:
The Ravine

The Ravine

Cavalry officer Stephens wants to keep his troopers safe, but when he is pulled into the oldest conflict of them all, he must choose - to serve, or to die.
Saloon-hand Jacob wants to live a quiet life, play his fiddle, and sink a few beers. But something has come to his town-something old, hungry, and far from quiet.
Farmer Joe Clancy wants to keep his herd alive long
Published November 19th 2013 by Dark Regions Press LLC (first published November 18th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Ravine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ravine

Start your review of The Ravine
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
3.5

I am glad I tried another book. I didn't really like the one about the wendigo (I did love the historical parts of it though), but this one was a treat.
While it has some of the same issues as 'Night of the Wendigo', the rest of it is good. I would still say that it needs a better editor. It is more than annoying when you read about the character named Jessie and get to something like this:'...and when he finally crawled into bed beside Jennie'. The same thing happened in 'Night of the
Bill
Dec 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star-reads
William Meikle can flat out write. His prose is uncomplicated, yet somehow goes much deeper than words on a page – he breathes life into his stories. Does that make any sense? If you have read him, then you know what I’m talking about. The Ravine is no exception. It moves fast with a well developed cast of characters and some truly unique and grotesque monsters. Will you serve?

The Ravine is a story of angels and demons. An old evil has been unearthed and a small town is under siege by dark
Robert Krone
I received this from the publisher for an honest review

This was a great read! I had read another book by Meikle in the past and enjoyed it, so when I had the chance to read this one I jumped on the opportunity. I wasn't sure what to expect from this one, as I have not always enjoyed Western books, but after reading this it sits close to the top of the ones I have read. This was an easy and smoothly flowing read for me, and is a great mix of western and horror, with an angel and demons mixed in.

Tim
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
David Agranoff
Sep 04, 2014 rated it liked it
I have seen Meikle’s name around before. I knew he was a Scottish born writer who writes both science fiction and horror often blending both. When I saw that he had a horror western released by Dark Regions Press I thought it was a great place to sample his work.

There is quite a bit to like here, I know at times this review will sound negative but I think Meikle did enough to interest me in his other books. At 212 pages The Ravine is a short novel but to me that is the BEST length for horror
Kyra Halland
Dark, creepy, and intense western horror. Well-written in simple but evocative prose, featuring heroes both likely and unlikely who rise to the occasion, and really chilling (and gross) evil beings. I will probably never eat fish again after reading this. There are a few characters I wish could have had a better fate, but overall I found the story very satisfying.

Highly recommended if you like some western in your horror, or some horror in your westerns.
Ralph Carlson
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great read as is everything else I have read by William Meikle.
Helen
Feb 21, 2018
Kanebottorff
Dec 29, 2018
Horror Aficionados : Win a signed copy of THE RAVINE 4 24 Dec 30, 2013 12:50PM

• House Beneath the Bridge (A horror novel)
  • Seeker
  • Tar: An Apocalyptic Horror Novella (Hell on Earth, #2.5)
  • The Fossil
  • The Birth of an American Demon
  • The Figurine
  • The Call of Lovecraft
  • Tales of Horror: Macabre Monsters of Michigan
  • The Guillotine
  • Sightings
  • Okinawa Kwaidan 2 , More True Japanese Ghost Stories and Hauntings
  • It Lurks In The Basement: A Lovecraft Inspired Tale of Cosmic Horror in the Cthulhu Mythos (The Other Book 5)
  • Savage Species
  • Black Moon: The Complete Tales of Jules de Grandin, Volume Five
  • Kamakura Kwaidan True Japanese Ghost Stories and Hauntings
  • Demiurge: The Complete Cthulhu Mythos Tales of Michael Shea
  • Skinwalkers Shapeshifters and Native American Curses
I'm a Scottish writer, now living in Canada, with more than twenty five novels published in the genre press and over 300 short story credits in thirteen countries.

My work has appeared in a number of professional anthologies and I have recent short story sales to NATURE Futures, Penumbra, Read Short Fiction and Buzzy Mag. When I'm not writing I play guitar, drink beer and dream of fortune and