Start by marking “Tartine Book No. 3: Modern Ancient Classic Whole” as Want to Read:
Tartine Book No. 3: Modern Ancient Classic Whole

Tartine Book No. 3: Modern Ancient Classic Whole

The third in a series of classic, collectible cookbooks from Tartine Bakery & Cafe, one of the great bakeries, Tartine Book No. 3 is a revolutionary, and altogether timely, exploration of baking with whole grains. The narrative of Chad Robertson's search for ancient flavors in heirloom grains is interwoven with 85 recipes for whole-grain versions of Tartine favorites. ...more
Published December 17th 2013 by Chronicle Books LLC (first published September 3rd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Tartine Book No. 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tartine Book No. 3

Start your review of Tartine Book No. 3: Modern Ancient Classic Whole
NCW
Jul 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: bakers who want to master no-knead, whole-grain techniques
Shelves: cookbooks
Chad Robertson is clearly a fantastic baker with some wonderful ideas for making outstanding bread. So far I have made the following bread recipes from this book with great success--several of them multiple times:

White-Wheat Blend
Wheat-Rye 10%
Wheat-Rye 20%
Buckwheat with Toasted Groats and Creme Fraiche (a favorite!)
Kamut 60%
Emmer/Einkorn
Spelt-Wheat
Wheat-Rye-Caraway-Coriander (a favorite!)
Sprouted Einkorn
Sprouted Purple Barley
Sprouted Quinoa-Kamut
Smoked Sprouted Rye (a favorite!)
Sprouted Spelt
Sara
Apr 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Moving the review to the hardback edition, so it makes more sense.)

Artisan bread is where it's at right now - tasty, trendy, and Tartine. I enjoyed the pictures and the stories. Chad Robertson is, indirectly, the reason I bake bread every weekend. I don't actually make the bread the way he does, though I may someday. Bread fascinates me at this moment and I'm reading every bread book I can get my hands on. Definitely recommended, although I had trouble with the hardback book having to be turned
Katya
Dec 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
A co-worker just informed me that if I were in jail, I could call her for getaway assistance, on the strength of my sesame wheat bread.

I then made two more Tartine #3 loaves in progress, one oatmeal porridge/walnut oil, and one sprouted kamut. These showcase two of the newer techniques in the book, so I'm interested to see how they do. I added a touch of dessicated coconut flake to my oats, which I'm hoping will add something.

The oat and the Kamut were good--the sprouted amaranth was on the
Amy
Dec 18, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first Tartine book I've purchased, and I got it because it's an exploration in baking with freshly-milled whole grains, and more diverse and ancient grains than just wheat. And also because the Tartine crew has a solid reputation for quality and authenticity. The recipes in this book tend to be very ambitious and advanced. I consider it aspirational as opposed to instructional, at least for the amount of time and energy I'm currently able to commit toward baking.

The pastry section
Stephanie
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is overwhelming and brilliant at the same time. It simultaneously gives too much information and not enough information. I'm in love with every loaf of bread on these pages and I get the impression the author makes his method difficult to understand so that only people insanely dedicated to the art of making naturally leavened bread will attempt it.

For those crazy enough to really go for it I imagine there will be many disappointments before lightning strikes.

I'll probably be one of
Tanna
Apr 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: baking-bread
Gorgeous whole grain breads.
Lea
Apr 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this one more than I did the Tartine Bread (3,5/5). Partly because it offers a wider range of flours and recipes, and partly because it seems slightly less pretentious than the previous one.

Problem is... if you are a domestic baker and not a professional one, you will struggle getting all of the ingredients. So a lot of recipes are again not targeting a beginner/occasional baker, but rather those who bake professionally or have a good source for all these ingredients (a local mill or
Rosemary Burton
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Romance with grains

Amazing collection of recipes for all things baked savory or sweet rustic to refined amazing travel and works of art from each local. The flavors and aromas jump off the pages ... I can't wait to bake my way through all theme books but I will be starting with this third one.
Dean
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book and a fun read.(I enjoy cookbooks)
This is for advanced bread bakers only. I would not attempt a lot of this stuff without practice.
some of the recipes are clunky, especially the latter chapters. I think again this is meant for advanced level bakers.
Ambur Taft
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
An absolutely beautiful bread book.
Will
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
I really struggled through maintaining a starter/leaven, and this book made me feel that it was doable. It might be difficult to cut one's teeth with these recipes, but they deserve repeated attempts. Nothing feels like pulling open an amazing loaf of homemade sourdough!
Patricia
Mar 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful primer for baking archival breads using whole grains. Many of the recipes Tartine has made famous have been revisited using sprouted and ancient or unusual grains, and the methods are very interesting. The writer uses wild yeast to leaven the dough, by mixing flours and water and lightly covering the batter so that the yeast can find its way in and make a sourdough starter. In addition to many bread varieties, there are a few pastry recipes. Not for the impatient or novice ...more
Melissa Shmish
Were I a bread baker, this book may have been more my cup of tea. Everything looked chewy and healthy--not that that is a bad thing, it's just the impression I am left with. In its favor, this book would be an excellent primer for bakers seeking to explore baking with whole grains, including some dessert offerings. Caveat: what the desserts lack in a sense of decadence, they make up for with a sense of fiber.
Eling
Mar 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
The recipes in this book are so far out of my current baking skills range that it's a little laughable, but I found the history/tradition bits & information about baking (tartine-style) bread with whole grains really interesting.

The breads & grains & process are really beautifully captured in the photographs. This is definitely a book I would want in my library in the future as I work on advancing my bread baking skills.
Daisy
So exciting.
Porridge breads. Sprouted breads. Seeded breads. Pastries like Buckwheat, Bergamot, Blood Orange Chiffon Cake...
And bread notes from Denmark, Sweden, Germany and Austria, France, Mexico.
I was thrilled to find out there's a Brotfest (Bread Festival) in Austria not far from my husband's house. I might be able to go!
typewriterdeluxe
Tartine No 3 is beautiful, and was obviously a massive project of love. The book has a strong aesthetic style and the results of the recipes all sound great. However, this feels like a thesis and not a cookbook. As a beginning baker (not a complete noob, but not an expert) I found it to be inaccessible.
Kirk Dobihal
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cook-books
An advanced continuation of Tartine Bread - you must be an advanced bread baker to appreciate the nuances of this book especially versed in the levain style natural fermented breads. The adage of whole grain explored in this book will tempt you to expand your bread making horizons.
Mark
Jan 21, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking
Inspiring but hardly adaptable to the baking standards of the average household kitchen in real time. You would need a personal assistant to keep up with the timing required to pull off any of these recipes. More of a retirement project than a usable cookbook for me at this stage.
Erik Waiss
May 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am definitely making a sourdough starter after reading this. I'll also be trying some of these 2 and 3-day rises with ridiculous amounts of water if I can get the same results.
Kate
I may never make this basic bread recipe. It's really involved. But by god I read this book.
Robert
Dec 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because I wanted more.
Alexandra
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the perfect compliment to the original tartine book. I love all the whole wheat spin offs to the original country loaf and the creative desert recipes. Can't wait to try them!
Ambur Taft
Mar 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Beautiful book - Great photos, love the font, love the feel of the book. Breads and desserts layed out simply, as if anyone could make them....a bread lovers dream book.
Beth Smith-moncrief
great book with recipes using different grain flours, many of them gluten free. my kids even like the recipes.
Doug Schmidt
Apr 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent but not for the beginner. Experienced bakers can learn from this.
Bruno
Apr 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking, non-fiction
Meer nog dan Tartine Bread is dit boek voor mij hét referentiewerk voor desembrood geworden.
Xin Tong
Sep 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has a variety of selection. The problem is the index system is somewhat confusing. Some. The recipes are not quite easy to perform.
Tom Mikkelsen
Jun 08, 2014
Joshua
Jun 11, 2016
Ryan
Mar 24, 2017

• Flour Water Salt Yeast: The Fundamentals of Artisan Bread and Pizza
  • Tartine (Baking Cookbooks, Pastry Books, Dessert Cookbooks, Gifts for Pastry Chefs)
  • Foundations of Flavor: The Noma Guide to Fermentation
  • Sourdough School
  • Jerusalem: A Cookbook
  • Plenty More: Vibrant Vegetable Cooking from London's Ottolenghi
  • The Art of Fermentation: An in-Depth Exploration of Essential Concepts and Processes from Around the World
  • The Bread Baker's Apprentice: Mastering the Art of Extraordinary Bread
  • Bread: A Baker's Book of Techniques and Recipes
  • The Elements of Pizza: Unlocking the Secrets to World-Class Pies at Home
  • The Sullivan Street Bakery Cookbook
  • Sourdough
  • Ottolenghi SIMPLE
  • Bien Cuit: The Art of Bread
  • Bread Revolution: World-Class Baking with Sprouted and Whole Grains, Heirloom Flours, and Fresh Techniques
  • Maangchi's Real Korean Cooking: Authentic Dishes for the Home Cook
  • Mastering Pizza: The Art and Practice of Handmade Pizza, Focaccia, and Calzone [a Cookbook]
  • Bar Tartine: Techniques and Flavors