Start by marking “La spada del destino (La saga di Geralt di Rivia, #2)” as Want to Read:
La spada del destino (La saga di Geralt di Rivia, #2)

La spada del destino

(The Witcher #0.75)

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  77,722 ratings  ·  4,271 reviews
Geralt di Rivia è uno strigo, un assassino di mostri. Ed è il migliore: solo lui può sopraffare un basilisco, sopravvivere a un incontro con una sirena, sgominare un'orda di goblin o portare un messaggio alla regina delle driadi, fiere guerriere dei boschi che uccidono chiunque si avventuri nel loro territorio? Geralt però non è un mercenario senza scrupoli, disposto a com ...more
Published January 19th 2012 by Nord (first published May 21st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about La spada del destino, please sign up.
Justyna There is a Kindle and paperback available now. It may only be a book of stories, but it is quite important transition from The Last Wish stories, to t…moreThere is a Kindle and paperback available now. It may only be a book of stories, but it is quite important transition from The Last Wish stories, to the books of the proper saga, explaining many crucial relationships between the characters. (less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Exposing This is Cahir. He was in the book.

·  77,722 ratings  ·  4,271 reviews

Start your review of La spada del destino (La saga di Geralt di Rivia, #2)
James Lafayette Tivendale
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Much like The Last Wish before, Sword of Destiny is a collection of short stories following a talented witcher called Geralt of Rivia. Although you can start the series with Blood of Elves which is where the full-length novels commence, I can't recommend enough that even though a handful of these short stories are hit-and-miss, that they will add considerable depth to the future narrative arcs.

The Last Wish featured mostly isolated stories with the Witcher tackling a certain monstrosity for a se
Miranda Reads

Teodora
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-app, fantasy
Full review on my Blog: The Dacian She-Wolf 🐺

In the Sword of Destiny, there is no The Voice of Reason chapters, but the action seems to flow somehow even without them because in this short stories book, there is no, let’s say, “time travelling” between the stories. They happen, thank God, at almost the same time, in a continuous present. Except for the last story that got me a bit confused (I don't really do good with stories that leap from one time to the other without telling me EXACTLY what t
Evgeny
Oct 02, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is a second collection of short stories featuring Geralt of Rivia. If I understand correctly it was written before The Last Wish, but chronologically comes after that one. The stories of this anthology are longer and less funny although one of them can be considered to be entirely humorous.

As most of the people already know Geralt is a witcher. This means he hunts monsters for living. He is also considered to be a mutant by many as his training included undergoing some chemical (herbs) an
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Uh-oh, I think my boyfriend Geralt is on strike. I mean, why else would the Most Deliciously Scrumptious Witcher Ever aka the Super Hot if Slightly Mutant Monster Slayer (MDSWEakatSHiSMMS™) butcher such a ridiculously low amount of supernatural beasts in this volume? Well, I guess it is also possible that his evil boring twin took over while I was, um, otherwise engaged with some of my other harem, um, boarders and stuff. Or maybe he was abducted by aliens, submitted to vigorous brain reprogramm ...more
Michelle
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: witcherverse
(Review of 2 books: “The Last Wish” and “The Sword of Destiny)

It’s been a while since I’ve indulged in some sword and sorcery, and I’m happy to have come upon a trailer of “The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt” on Youtube. It’s visually stunning and highly fascinating! I wanted to learn more about the game and, to cut this story short (I guess you know where this is going anyway), discovered Andrzej Sapkowski’s written wonders. I’m sure the games are awesome, but I’m quite glad that I can immerse myself in
Fredrik
Jan 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in swedish (called Ödets Svärd - Sword of Destiny) and let me just say;

WOW. Sapkowski, you f-ing rule.

It doesn't seem like the Swedish publishers will publish any more Sapkowskibooks, and all I can say is; Your Loss, man.

Luckily, the Witcher Saga is available in English!

Everything about this book is awesome, from the characters to the world, to the humor and the fighting scenes. Geralt is a true badass, although he tries not to act like one. And his, kind of tragic, love story w
Em Lost In Books
Collection of stories. Some were good, others not so good.
NAT.orious reads ☽
4 STARS, destined for great things ★★★★✩
This book is for you if… high fantasy with room for humour and modernised language suits your tastes. Be prepared for a lot of angsty romance and badass fighting scenes.

Preface.
Can we please, collectively, complain to Netflix for taking off The Witcher soundtrack of Spotify? I literally need to listen to Toss a coin to your witcher until I shout it from my grave.

Overall.
Different from The Last Wish in its style of adventures but still very en
Sara
Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, fantasy, adult, audio
The Bounds of Reason - ⭐️⭐️⭐️ DRAGONS and a shocking twist
A Shard of Ice - ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Yennefer and Geralt angst (with hints of a certain infamous stuffed unicorn 🦄 )
Eternal Flame - ⭐️⭐️⭐️ An intro to Dudu and Dopplers.
A Little Sacrifice - ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Mermaids, love and sea monsters
The Sword of Destiny - ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ A lost princess, Dryads and the bonds of destiny
Something More - ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ The fall of a kingdom, and a law of surprise

I really enjoyed this short story collection, more so than the first The
Markus
This second short story collection is unfortunately the weakest part of the Witcher universe that I have read. It is not on the level of The Last Wish, the stories feel mashed together without the same sense of purpose as in the other book, and they are less exciting, less symbolic and less epic.

However, I love experiencing the world of the Witcher and following Geralt of Rivia and Yennefer of Vengerberg on their adventures (even though Yennefer is dreadfully annoying in this book compared to ot
Will.J.R. Gwynne
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, reviewed
My expanded review has now been placed on BookNest - BookNest - Sword of Destiny

So Sword of Destiny is the second book in The Witcher Saga, but dates before The Last Wish. Many of the same characters are encountered as are many new monsters, one being a doppler.

Some stories were great, such as the one that seems to be a bit inspired by the little mermaid. It was surprisingly emotional and showed a completely different side to Geralt of Rivia that I have longed to see.

The story of a mimic who can
TS Chan
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5 stars.

The compelling characterisation of Geralt and the imaginative world of Slavic lore and fairy-tale retellings continue in Sword of Destiny, the second collection of prequel short stories.

Sword of Destiny was published after the first three full-length novels of The Witcher series. As a new reader to the series, however, I was able to read the books in chronological order which is quite essential as this instalment served as the bridge between The Last Wish and Blood of Elves.

I found
Bradley
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2020-shelf
Okay, so I've arrived very late to the Witcher party. I feel like I really ought to be embarrassed or something, too, but I've decided just to roll with it.

I... might have become a fanboy.

I mean, shoot, I've got Cavill in my head as the penultimate Geralt. Yennifer is someone I think I'll always love. I've got that whole season stuck in my head, and reading these two collections preceding the first official novel has made something very clear to me.

The first season IS these to books.

Maybe not
Deborah Obida
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, fantasy

Chaos is aggression, Order is protection against it.

Still awesome! I was so scared this won't live up to the first book/novellas but I was wrong, I so do not agree with most folks on this, this book is as good as The Last Wish, some characters like Dandelion and Yennefer that was introduced in that novella made more appearances here. Not to mention Ciri the child of promise, I cannot wait to see what happens in the next book.

Just like the first book this book is written jn Geralt's narrative
Edward
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
Check out my review for Sword of Destiny by Andrzej Sapkowski on Grimdark Magazine here: Grimdark Magazine

Sword of Destiny is a slavic fantasy book that contains the brilliance captured by the video game series, as well as the repertoire of characters that Andrej Sapkowski has at his disposal. This second collection of short stories in the world of the Witcher is a book that those who enjoyed the first collection, will love, as it brings more of the same.

’What a hideous smile I have, Geralt thou
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2015/12/17/a...

Sword of Destiny is a collection of short stories featuring Geralt of Rivia, and it is actually the second book in The Witcher sequence. But because the English editions of the series’ first three full-length novels were released before this one (not to mention I was also pretty adamant about waiting for the audiobook, which wasn’t released until December 2015), I had to read it out of order.

Now that I’ve completed the boo
Laura ☾
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE THIS WORLD

full review to come
Prongs
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Humans and Elves and Dwarves and Trolls. Oh, and Women.

That's what parts of this book felt like. Like women are a different, lesser race. I think the way women are depicted in this book is problematic. To have a medieval world behaving in a medieval way about women is something, to have clever and heroic protagonists going along with it is something else entirely. I really don't have anything against a hero who has lots of sex with lots of women. As a guy, I get why this is appealing to a Fantas
Althea Ann
Jan 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Bounds of Reason
Rumor has quickly spread of a dragon on the loose, and an assorted group of warriors, wizards and scoundrels have assembled. Many are clearly there to slay the dragon and gain reward and treasure - but Geralt the witcher is also there, and he says he doesn't kill dragons. As the story unfolds, we discovers that others' motivations are also more varied than we might've guessed.

A Shard of Ice
In a dingy midden heap of a town, Geralt must compete with a powerful wizard for the af
Mili
Jul 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-the-book
It started out way too boring, its not that the characters are not interesting but it lacked a plot. Im not a short story person perse. After the mermaid chapter it got more intense and interesting. Thats when it picked up my interest (Brokilon, cool amazonian chicks and Ciri ) and I went through it quickly. Really cool ending, got me a wee it emotional xD
Natalie Monroe
“The only thing that everyone is destined for is death. Death is the other blade of the two-edged sword. I am the first blade. And the second is death, why he dogs my footsteps.”

Unpopular opinion: the show is better than the books.

Show Yennefer is my favorite character. A friend of mine complained that she's too greedy and entitled and is never satisfied however much power she gains. I view her as ambitious and that can turn people off because she is absolutely unapologetic about it. She's a
Mari
May 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
[March 18, 2017] Marking for reread and also *fanfare* upping my rating to a full 4 stars. Do I think it's a 4 star book? I don't know. I just know that this world and these characters keep growing on me more and more. I've read these stories before (obvs) but that doesn't make them a bit more interesting, entertaining or edge-of-your-seat worthy. Part of my grading comes from rereadability. I hold stories that you can visit again and again in high esteem, and this is certainly a collection that ...more
exploraDora (Dora Guta)
***3,5 stars***

This is the second collection of short stories in the universe of The Witcher.

I have to say that for people like me, who really enjoyed The Last Wish - you may also end up having mixed reactions to Sword of Destiny. Most of the same narratives are present in this book, but the author also goes into flashbacks, dream sequences, and more serious themes, so this can get a bit confusing at times. The stories are sort of darker and more intense than the ones in The Last Wish and some
Mark Halse
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The more stories I read about Geralt of Rivia the more I love him. The best thing about these stories is that the characters are so very real despite living in a fairy tale world.

I liked this set of short stories a little better. In THE LAST WISH the only thing holding the stories together was that they all starred Geralt. In this book the stories were connected by more and seemed to lead to something.

The thing I love most about Geralt is how honest he is as a character. Sometimes he's a selfis
daisy
Nov 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
y'all I actually wrote a review instead of sticking RTC in the little text box and then forgetting about it - it's a miracle!!

I'm gonna be completely honest - I didn't really love most of the stories in this one. Those featuring Ciri were by far my favourites, the last one in the little collection was my fave of the lot, but the rest were kind of just? okay? Which is a shame because I do quite like Geralt and find the magic and monsters and all of that jazz enjoyable + interesting.

Something tha
Claudia
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I keep wondering why I disliked this book so much the first time I tried to read it that I abandoned it… I have no idea, however I’m so glad I gave this series another shot, because this time I simply loved it.

The first one I liked a lot but this one ripped my heart apart as much as it made me laugh.

The change of focus from killing monsters to introspection and interaction with others gave the stories an unexpected depth, which really touched me.

We finally get to meet Ciri and what a delight s
Patremagne
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, audiobook
"It's like they said! Geralt! it's like they said! Am I your destiny? Say it! Am I your destiny?"

"You're much more than that, Ciri. Much more."

Fuck. Too many feels in these past two audiobooks.
Gavin
Dec 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I was not a big fan of The Last Wish so was not going to bother continuing with this series. I found The Last Wish to be an average fantasy book that was damaged badly by having a lot of problematic issues. I'll not bore you guys with the details again as I mentioned all those problems in my review for the first book. Netflix's The Witcher TV adaptation of the story was pretty good though so that inspired me to give this second collection of short stories a go!

I have to say I probably enjoyed t
Marianna Neal
Two books down, five more to go! OK, six, if you're counting Season of Storms, but I'll deal with that story collection last.

Either way, I'm really enjoying my re-read so far. Compared to The Last Wish, Sword of Destiny focuses much more on personal relationships and character development rather then the monster slaying. If you needed more reasons to love Geralt—you'll find them here. You will also get a lot more of the complicated Geralt/Yennefer dynamic, which is something I'm always down for.

• Wiedźmin. Ostatnie życzenie (Wiedźmin #5)
  • The Witcher, Vol. 1: House of Glass
  • Starsight (Skyward, #2)
  • The Witcher, Vol. 2: Fox Children
  • The Witcher Library Edition Volume 1
  • Before They Are Hanged (The First Law, #2)
  • The World of the Witcher
  • Кровь эльфов. Час Презрения
  • Last Argument of Kings (The First Law, #3)
  • Metro 2033 (Metro, #1)
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
  • The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2)
  • Zwierzenia popkulturalne
  • The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3)
  • Ostatnia godzina
  • The Witcher, Vol. 3: Curse of Crows
  • The Witcher, Vol. 4: Of Flesh and Flame
  • The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1)
Andrzej Sapkowski, born June 21, 1948 in Łódź, is a Polish fantasy writer. Sapkowski studied economics, and before turning to writing, he had worked as a senior sales representative for a foreign trade company. His first short story, The Witcher (Wiedźmin), was published in Fantastyka, Poland's leading fantasy literary magazine, in 1986 and was enormously successful both with readers and critics. ...more

The Witcher (6 books)
  • Blood of Elves (The Witcher, #1)
  • Czas pogardy (Saga o Wiedźminie, #2)
  • Chrzest ognia (Saga o Wiedźminie, #3)
  • Wieża Jaskółki (Saga o Wiedźminie, #4)
  • Pani Jeziora (Saga o Wiedźminie, #5)
  • Sezon burz (Saga o Wiedźminie, #6)