Start by marking “Disneylanders” as Want to Read:
Disneylanders

Disneylanders

Casey (short for Acacia, but don't call her that) is spending a few summer days with her parents at Disneyland. Just like they do every summer. Except this summer is different. Casey's best friend has dumped her. She starts high school in the fall, and she's tired of following her parents' rigid schedule and putting up with their embarrassing behavior. She's miserable. Eve ...more
Published December 4th 2013 by Orchard Hill Press (first published April 10th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Disneylanders, please sign up.
Jessica Where in the book is that mentioned?

Heather Scott Partington
Mar 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ages 9-12, Disneyland Fans
What a sweet, fun Disneyland story! This middle-grade novel is geared toward ages 9-12 but both my daughter and I enjoyed reading it.

What my ten year old daughter liked about it:

She said that it felt like the author really knows about Disneyland, and did a really good job of making you feel like you are there. She also felt like the characters were believable and the story was interesting.

What I liked about it:

Lots of Disney trivia and detail. My family has been taking nearly-annual trips to the
Jennifer Girard
2.5

It wasn't what I was expecting... I loved the setting, I'm a huge Disney fan so a book in Disneyland is always a good pick for me. This time however it wasn't ... It was just all too convenient and way too fast. I couldn't believe any of it.
ضحى الحداد
I've been looking for a book about a cute vacation in Disneyland and that was exactley it :))
This book is about Casey and her two days vacation with her family in Disneyland when she meets Bert and the adventure begins
It is a book about coming of age and being yourself .. it had a nice atmosphere but I didn't like the plot that much everything was moving super fast .. but it was a nice quick read
Brooke
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you have ever been 13, you will love this book. If you've ever experienced puppy love, you will love this book. If you remember how you felt being embarrassed by your parents and desperately wanting to pull away from them to assert your independence, you will love this book. If you've ever been dumped by a close friend, you will love this book. If you love Disneyland, you will love this book.

Kate Abbott does a splendid job of caputuring the voice of a 13-year-old girl and everything a summer
Erica
Mar 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Abbott's coming of age novel is a quick, entertaining read. Her heroine, Casey, is imperfect and likeable, with an internal voice that rings true. We see Casey's struggles with the transitions from middle school to high school, from childhood to early adulthood, as they unfold during her family's annual Disneyland vacation. Big real life lessons coexist in a fantasy Disney setting (although Abbott's descriptions of Disneyland are no fantasy; her information is impeccable). This is a good read fo ...more
Brett Jonas
What a magical read! I read this in preparation for my Disney World trip in a few days - I like to read something Disney related before I go to get me all hyped up, and thus definitely did the trick. The characters were well fleshed out - even the Bra-Strap girls. (I can totally relate to Casey's dislike of girls like that - I've had a few close encounters with some of them. lol) Bert was perfect, and Maggie was adorable. Who knows - maybe I'll find my own Bert while I'm in Disney! :)
Daniel Butcher
Jun 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: disney-fiction
“I wasn’t in the mood for a Dole Whip with a paper umbrella,” could this be the most offensive words in the history of Disney fiction? Okay, I jest, but they help show the tone of Disneylanders by Kate Abbott, the story of a girl who has problems big enough that even Dole Whip cannot solve them.

Disneylanders by Kate Abbott tells the story of Casey, a 13 year-old girl on vacation in Disneyland with her parents. Casey is going through a lot of changes in her life. She is getting ready to transitio
Redfox5
Jul 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After falling in love with Ridley Pearson's Kingdom Keepers series, I've been searching for some more good fiction set in the Disney Parks. I've been disappointed, finding both 'Disneyland Hostage' and 'Down and out in the Magic Kingdom' to be lacking in the Disney magic I love so much. Disneylanders has that magic. Kate Abbotts is obviously a Disney fan and her book is peppered with just the right amount of Disney trivia. Not to much to bore the casaul fan but enough to keep the Disney Geeks (M ...more
Andrea
May 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 out of 5 rating

I am a Disney fanatic. Big time. As in, I work there and got married there. So when the author contacted me so see if I wanted to review the book, I jumped at the chance. The only hesitation I had was that I don't like middle grade books. This one was portrayed as an upper-middle grade book, so I gave it a shot.

I do have to say that I don't think this is an upper middle grade book. I would feel perfectly fine with a fifth grader reading the book. And honestly, it was a little
Jen (Pop! Goes The Reader)
Did you find this review helpful? Find more of my reviews at Pop! Goes The Reader!

“I concentrated only on the lyrics to ‘Grim Grinning Ghosts’ and looked for the next sign. Los Angeles was 175 miles away, and Anaheim wouldn’t be much farther. Even with my dad’s under-the-speed-limit driving, soon I’d be able to escape all my problems in Disneyland, my actual Happiest Place on Earth. I would feel like myself again there.”
“It would be better when I was in Disneyland. Everyone was happy in Disneyla
Nicole
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Such a cute read! I love Disney so I instantly clicked with the book. I think that if I ever visited Disneyland California, id be able to connect to the story even more! Definitely a cute, fast, and light read/
Kristen Jett
May 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Disney fans, MG readers, YA readers
Full review with formatting found at Pen and Muse

If you haven’t been to a Disney resort, they’re the happiest place(s) on Earth. I’m not even kidding. Disney is where you go to have that brief refuge of no concerns, no worries, and simply joy every single moment.
For Casey, Disney is the magical place you go to where bliss is always possible, no matter what is happening in her life.

It would be better when I was in Disneyland. Everyone was happy in Disneyland. I just had to get there.

She can for
Audra
Jun 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted to The Society's Bookshelf

As someone who became a massive fan of Disneyland a bit later in life, I knew I had to read this book as soon as I heard about it. Acacia, Casey for short, is on her annual summer vacation to Disneyland with a couple of big differences. This is her first Disneyland trip before high school. This is her first Disneyland trip without her former bff. This is also her first Disneyland trip where she meets a boy!

Overall this was a magical read that gave me e
Martha
3.5 stars.

This is a book set in Disneyland so it immediately earned some points from me. It is a story about Casey, who is attending her usual holiday destination with her over-protective parents - but not with her ex best friend, Kiley. Kiley's been acting differently at school and suddenly seems far too grown-up to care about Casey anymore...

I enjoyed the underlying theme of growing up and holding onto your past that run throughout this book. And you're never too old for Disneyland, Casey, don
Estelle
The main character might be 14 but I think DISNEYLANDERS is a great example of YA transcending age. If you ever went on a family trip with your family, or dealt with a best friend who outgrew you, you will find a lot to relate to in this book. Not to mention, fans of theme parks or people who are so connected to a place they have visited time and time again. Does the magic truly disappear as you grow up? Can you still hold on to it?

I have a lot of love for this book, especially after my second r
Hadessephy
Very cute coming of age novel taking place in a famous well known setting. I really enjoyed this,short novel about a young girl's first time hanging out with a guy going beyond friendship. While nothing ground breaking it was fun to see the main character experiencing some first life events. I wish more time was spent in California Adventure since that is one of my favorite parks out of all the Disney properties I have visited.
Katherine
Jul 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thirteen year old Casey struggles with her loving yet embarrassing parents as she experiences her first romantic involvement with Bert, who has parental issues of his own. Their short vacation in Casey's beloved Disneyland is the backdrop for their budding friendship which helps both of them navigate crucial road blocks in their growth into self awareness and young adulthood. Thanks heavens - no vampires, no paranormal. Just real people in real situations facing real challenges.
Sue
Feb 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute story aimed at young Middle school girls. The background of Disneyland only made the story more appealing, but I question the validity of parents who would willingly let their 14 year old daughter wander around the park all day with a boy she just met, but suspend belief and the characters are well developed and the angst of Middle school is real.
Stephanie
Jun 26, 2013 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
NOTHING WILL STOP ME FROM READING THIS BOOK OMG
Melissa
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book offered me not only the details and story type I love but also insight into a teenagers mind. Extremely well written. Made me long for Disneyland.
Lisa
Jan 18, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was cute, a fun, quick read that reminded me of family trips to Disneyland. Making me think I may need to make a return visit, been too long since I've been!
Nici
May 11, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It felt like a Disney movie O: Casey was too whiny though for my taste. If I was Bert I would have left the minute she started talking.
silver ☆彡
Just some things this book makes me want to do:
- go to Disneyland
- hug my parents
- befriend random grandmas
- meet a sweet guy who doesn't think I'm childish it's childish to love Disney and rides.
No but seriously, I'm feeling very nostalgic right now. Maybe it's the early 00s setting, maybe the fact that I'm not 14 anymore. And I wasn't even sure that I'd have enjoyed the story since it's a MG book masquerading as YA (or vice versa).
But here comes the surprise. I honestly can't believe
Faye
May 08, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a super cute little read. This is the kind of book that I would have absolutely loved when I was 13-14. What an ideal setting for a budding romance. I wish I could claim Disneyland as the setting for my first romantic experiences. What I didn't love, and don't about most novels written for young girls is the cycle of self-consciousness they all seem to get trapped in. The main character does overcome this in the end but I think it would be helpful if her journey to self understanding wa ...more
Danielle
How did I manage before this book? It was so adorably perfect and as a Disneyland lover this book felt alive. To be sure, the setting of Disneyland was a living character all its own.
If you like love stories, Disneyland, coming of age stories, or just good literature then this is the book for you!
I loved it and will so be reading it again!
Highly recommend.
Dawn
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a mom and Disney lover I adored all the Disney details and fun facts and jokes. On top of the story about a teenage girl and her fears and trying to find her way in a world that seems to scream one thing is acceptable but knowing in her heart it’s just not her thing.
Kayla D
A free paperback copy of this book was sent to me by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Originally seen on a href = "http://www.thebookishowl.net/?p=1569&... Bookish Owl

I never really expected to get so much feels about Disneylanders. Truth be told, I expected it to be a touching and light tale of a girl’s adventures in Disneyland. But wow, what I got was a bucketload of Disney feels and the insatiable urge to watch Disney films and fly to Hong Kong where the closest Disney theme par
Katie Fitzgerald
Casey is thirteen, and, as she does every summer, she is visiting Disneyland with her parents. Everything is pretty much the same as always, except that Casey’s best friend chose not to come on the trip for the first time ever, because she and Casey and are no longer best friends. This means that Casey is on her own with her dorky, overprotective parents, surrounded by memories of happier summers spent in the happiest place on earth. To Casey’s surprise, though, there is one bright spot in the v ...more
Jillian (PidginPea's Book Nook)
{ I received an ebook copy of this book from the author, which was very kind but did not influence the following honest review. Review originally posted on my blog, PidginPea's Book Nook. }

I'm a huge Disney geek. My family vacationed there at least twice a year while I was growing up, I fell in love with a fellow Disney geek, we got engaged in Disney World, we both worked in Disney World... So needless to say, I'm coming into this review with just a *bit* of a personal bias. :)

I do think that ha
Marissa Burt
Reviewed for Project Mayhem:

I had the fun of reading DISNEYLANDERS a few weeks ago. I found it to be a bit of a coming-of-age story, a peek at a few summer days in Casey Allison's life. We meet Casey on the way to her family’s annual summer vacation. She’s an almost-fourteen-year-old poised on the edge of teenager-dom, about to step from the confusing (and oh so familiar) pain of changing friendships into the realm of high school, boys, and parental conflict.

At first, I found it easy to brush a
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Disneyland Quest (Disneyland Quest #1)
  • Heirs of Prophecy (The Prophecies, #1)
  • The Imagineering Field Guide to Disney's Hollywood Studios at Walt Disney World
  • The Disneyland® Encyclopedia: The Unofficial, Unauthorized, and Unprecedented History of Every Land, Attraction, Restaurant, Shop, and Event in the Original Magic Kingdom®
  • Macbeth #killingit (OMG Shakespeare)
  • Our Kingdom of Dust
  • Hollywood Car Wash
  • Outward Blonde
  • The Possession of Cassie Quinn
  • Secrets: Diary of a Gutsy Teen
  • Realityland: True-Life Adventures at Walt Disney World
  • The EPCOT Explorer's Encyclopedia: A Guide to the Flora, Fauna, and Fun of the World's Greatest Theme Park!
  • HIDDEN MICKEY: Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales! (Hidden Mickey, #1)
  • Apparition (The Apparition Series, #1)
  • Scary School
  • Ultraviolet Catastrophe
  • My Girlfriend Bites
  • It's Kind Of A Cute Story
Kate Abbott’s writing includes the young adult novel DISNEYLANDERS, published in 2013 by Orchard Hill Press; the memoir WALKING AFTER MIDNIGHT: INTO AND OUT OF POSTPARTUM DEPRESSION; and various essays appearing on The Billfold, Role Reboot, and the Brain, Child blog. She earned her MFA in creative writing from UC Riverside—Palm Desert. Find her on Twitter @kate_abbott_, write to her at hellokatea ...more