Start by marking “Dead Time (The Murder Notebooks #1)” as Want to Read:
Dead Time (The Murder Notebooks #1)

Dead Time

(The Murder Notebooks #1)

When Rose was 12, her mother and stepfather went out for dinner and never came back. Now 17, she lives with her grandmother and goes to school in London. She's always wondered about her stepbrother, Joshua, who she only lived with briefly and who was also relocated after their parents' disappearance. When Rose and Joshua meet again, they find they have much in common, incl ...more
Published May 22nd 2012 by Walker Childrens (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Time, please sign up.
ForeverAnAuthor I'm a 13-year-old, and I find it perfect. As long as the 13-year-old you have in mind is okay with sudden deaths and murder, I'll recommend it. :D

Start your review of Dead Time (The Murder Notebooks #1)
Katy
Apr 14, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don't get it. I just spent the last couple of hours reading this book, and by the end, i don't feel like I got anywhere. I didn't get any further with the mystery behind Rose's mom and Joshua's dad, and I didn't get any further with Rose and Joshua. And the police will probably never get any further with Henry's murder. At least the other murder was solved.

I wasn't particularly crazy about the characters in this book. I couldn't sympathize with Rose at all. She purposely made herse
Dec 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book! I seriously could not put it down! It was so thrilling and it had so many twists too it, it was like nothing I have read before.

I'm usually the type of girl to go for a romance book with a lot of lovey dovey stuff, so I thought I wouldn't like this book. I was so wrong!

This book taught me that I can actually read a book without all the "romance this, romance that" stuff in it. Even though it did have hints to there being a romance (god, how many times hav
StarMan
VERDICT: 3.4 YA stars, or 2.8 Adult stars

PROS:
++ Set in the U.K.
++ Murders and multiple suspects
++ Imperfect but mostly likeable protagonist, with poor people skills
++ Mostly family-safe; no sex or flagrant cursing. Just some (view spoiler)

CONS:
-- TSTL*: Teens doing dumb things or putting themselves in serious risk
-- Incompetent police (why can't we have GOOD/SMART
Katie Ellis
So I saw this book in Waterstones and thought it sounded pretty good. I found it in the library a few days later and decided to give it a go.

The book was slow going at first. I found the writing to be a little flat. With that in mind I still found that I wanted to read on. Towards the middle it started to get more interesting. I was intrigued as to who the murderer was but was not expecting the answer to come so late in the book. It seemed like they were taking forever to get to the point.
ForeverAnAuthor
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I recently got a load of books from my cousin (currently halfway through university) who was just cleaning out his teen books. Apparently he's not interested in them anymore. Anyways, because of that, I got lots of books in... well, unusual genres (for me).
Truth be told, I have never read a true mystery novel. I'm easily scared by even the NOTION of creepiness (ugh in the dark a bolster could be a corpse and you seriously don't want to know what a closet could contain...), and I've s
Apr 04, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
I received an E-ARC of this via Netgalley. It sounded really interesting, so I picked it up to read. I get about 1/3 of the way through and have ZERO idea what the main plot line is. Oh, this person gets murdered, oh, my parents are missing, oh, he is my kind of step-brother who I haven't seen in 5 years, oh, this is my grandmother who I never knew. Please tell me where this story goes.

Maybe I would have finished it, if that were the only problem. But the writing is just poor. The di
Kribu
Actual rating: more like 2.5 stars. In other words, the sort of book that I never, at any point, thought particularly good, but .. it was readable, enough so that I finished it in a day and a half which is - considering how much effort reading books has been for me this year - pretty good evidence for me obviously caring enough to want to know what would happen next.

That said... the writing felt rather pedestrian (not that I want high-flying literary language, but it felt rather... too si
K.
Trigger warnings: murder, loss of a parent

So here's the thing: the blurb of this sounded GREAT. Parents go missing, five years later the stepsiblings reconnect after one of them finds a body, and they decide to look into the disappearance of their parents, leading them to find a notebook about murdery things.

Instead what happens is that the book starts in the present day, and the information about the parents disappearing is trickled out through the course of the story. And yes, Ros
15CatterfeldD
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. I accidentally read its sequel, Killing Rachel, so had to come back to read this one and was not disappointed. Really enjoyed the whole book and it was exciting and thrilling the whole way through. I look forward to reading its sequels and seeing what happens next. Make sure you get more than one at once because you want to read the next one right after!
Michelle
Anne Cassidy's Dead Time has been an odd sort of beast for me to review. I had a lot of different problems with it -- a few were a matter of taste, some are writing-style, others are problems with plot...suffice it to say they are many and varied. However, I read it ages ago and still occasionally think about the mystery and what is going to come next. Obviously, it wasn't all bad. Since I've been struggled for so long with this review, I'm going to do it in lists:

The Bad:

- I
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
Book One of a new young adult mystery series, Dead Time is set in London featuring common law step siblings Rose and Joshua. Five years ago, Rose's mother and Josh's went out to dinner and never returned. Separated, Rose and Joshua have had little contact in that time but now Josh is in London attending university where Rose lives with her grandmother and attends college but renewing their relationship is proving complicated. While Rose accepted the official explanation for her mothers death, Jo ...more
Amber at Fall Into Books
This book was another Mara Dyer for me. I read the whole thing, and at the end, I didn't feel like a single question had been answered. I know this is the start of a series, but when authors do this, it makes me not want to continue a series. The main plot didn't seem to advance at all. I felt like I ran in a giant circle for a few hours. Not fun. At least answer the major question posed by the book, you know? It's frustrating, and it turns readers off. It turned this reader off, anyway. Also, t ...more
Kim
Mar 13, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was really excited to read this book. I thought it was going to be fantastic. Disappearing parents and a couple of murders thrown on the side. But the blurb on the back of my book described a story that NEVER happened.

I was told notebooks were going to be found that might point to Rose and Joshua (step-siblings desperate to find their missing parents) stumbling on a secret disappearance that could put their lives in danger. Well, the only danger I saw to their lives was that Rose was an idiot
Suspense Magazine
“Dead Time” is the first of the Murder Notebook series by Anne Cassidy. Cassidy has penned over thirty books during her career and her latest series follows two teenagers, Rose Smith and Joshua Johnson.

Twelve-year-old Rose’s mother and fourteen-year-old Joshua’s father live together happily until one night the kids’ parents go out to dinner and never come back. Nothing is heard of them again and the two are sent to live with different relatives.
Five years later, Rose and Joshua are
~+-+Vanora+-+~
Score: 3/5 stars

Mum picked this book off the new arrival shelves in the public library and I finally got around to read it today.

Premise is interesting but writing was a bit flat. With such a premise, by right, I should be kept right on the edge of the seat, wanting to know what will happen next but I didn't feel the strong urge to do so as I do for some other books.

That being said, it was still interesting enough for me to keep reading. Clearly first book of The Murd
Emma
Jul 25, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: guest-reviews
Review by Madison

Rose is a witness to a brutal attack on one of her classmates and is unwillingly dragged into the whole messy business. the attack coincides with a visit from Joshua who Rose hadn't seen for 5 years. The 5 years since their parents went missing. Rose finds herself wondering if the recent events are some how connected to Joshua's investigation into the disappearance of their parents.

When Rose is witness to another attack; she quickly realises that she has to take act
This is the 1st book in The Murder Notebooks series. I can't say that I enjoyed it all that much, but the plot was very compelling.

The main character, Rose, is sent to live with her grandmother after her mother and her mom's boyfriend disappear after a dinner date. She still feels a powerful attraction to her almost-stepbrother Josh and makes efforts to connect with him again now that she's 17 and back from the boarding school her grandmother sent her to after the event.

Rose is an i
Ally
As a librarian, the most-requested genre in my young adult collection is mystery. My patrons love it and can't get enough. So I jumped at the chance to read this one. Set in modern London, Rose's mother and stepfather disappeared without a trace five years ago. She hasn't been quite the same since, and she hasn't seen her beloved stepbrother Joshua in all of that time, either. Finally, finally, they're going to reunite, and maybe make some sense of what happened to their parents. But before that ...more
Abigail
Dead time is a great, but sad book. It follows a girl, Rose, who has gone through more in her 17 years, than most people have to go through in their lifetime. When Rose was 12 her mum, Kathy and Joshua's dad, Brendan, went out for dinner; they didn't return. Joshua, Brendan, Rose and Kathy had been living together before the incident, but with losing their parents Joshua and Rose lost each other too, that is until 5 years later. Joshua and Rose had been emailing each other for 6 months before th ...more
Molly
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Anne Cassidy succeeds with me again :) This is a book I took my time with because I was into it the entire time. I never got bored with it. Each time I came back to read more, it always got more and more interesting. I liked finding out more of the bits and pieces of the mystery as it unfolded. A good way to spend time and a great distracter from your worries in life.

There are basically two stories going on in here (and it takes a while to find out how they’re connected): one, one of
JeanMarie
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cassidys Dead Time is a Heart Stopping Story

If your parents suddenly disappeared and you had no idea where they went would you go out and look for them or would you try to put it behind you and accept that their dead? Your mom and dad give you the support and love that you need without them who knows where you would be. In Cassidy's fictional novel, Dead Time, she shows us how important it is to never give up on the people we love.

The book starts out with rose at her grandmother's h
Eve beinguniquebooks
Step brother and sister, Rose and Josh haven't seen each other since they were split up and sent away to real living blood relatives and not just being in care together anymore they obviously miss each other.

However as Rose witnesses a bully get stabbed and later a person linked to her again from school, she wonders just what happened to her mum whom disappeared with fellow police officer Josh's dad.

As Rose and Josh embark on finding out they won't
Lisa Regan
Sep 12, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I confess, I haven't finished this book at all. It was just too awful. The writing was so poor: facts don't add up, characters don't make sense or act anywhere near realistically, and the overall writing style is abysmal. I usually plough through and speed read so I at least know what happened but I couldn't even bear to do that. What I find really sad is that this book might lead young adult readers to believe it's the best they can expect, or the standard that other books achieve, when it's cl ...more
Jaquelynn Rondell
My opinion about the book is that it should have more than two books so far. The author should write more books to go with them.
In the story the main character starts out with blood on her hands.
What I liked about the book is the characters friend said he could bring people back to life but I don't think he actually can. What I didn’t like was when the book started with the character having blood all over her.
What I like about my character is that she deals with things on her
Marz
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The most annoying thing about this book was how basic the names were like Anna, Rose, Joshua, Katherine and Emma etc. through the first half of the book i always confused the names. The english was pretty bland but i must admit the second half of the book was pretty interesting and i couldn’t put the book down. Im going to read the next book in this series and hopefully it gets better.
Jessica
Dec 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: currently-own
This book was quite good and had a fairly developed mystery plot throughout. However, some parts of the story were slow and- I felt- unnecessary. Overall, the writing style had a really good flow and I did enjoy the book.
Elizabeth Ann Cyrus
I found this book really irritating, I'm not too sure why I stuck it out till the end. I didn't seem to gel with any of the characters and there was no real content to the book. I have the last book to read but I don't really care what happened to their parents.
Not a fan
Audrey
Mar 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Action, mystery, and family dysfunction abound in this teen novel. There are almost too many threads to the story; however, the author solves two of the three mysteries so at least there is a sense of completion, if not total satisfaction.
Alex Alfredo
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sumaya
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing this book has great suspense
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
9B Blogs: Dead time by Anne Cassidy- Darci w 2 5 Nov 28, 2017 03:51PM

• Girl, Missing (Girl, Missing, #1)
  • Born to Run
  • Shadow
  • Missing Parts
  • The Family
  • The Butterfly Lion
  • I Know You Remember
  • Shattered (Slated, #3)
  • The Tyrant's Tomb (The Trials of Apollo, #4)
  • Cherry Crush (The Chocolate Box Girls, #1)
  • Saving Noah
  • Viper (Isles of Storm and Sorrow #1)
  • Burn Bright (Night Creatures, #1)
  • The Roommates
  • Fractured (Slated, #2)
  • The London Eye Mystery (London Eye Mystery, #1)
  • Capturing the Devil (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #4)
  • Who Runs the World?
  • Last Girl Gone (Laura Chambers Mystery, #1)
  • My Love Lies Bleeding (Drake Chronicles, #1)
  • Witch is How Bells Were Saved (A Witch P.I. Mystery Book 33)
  • Sapphique (Incarceron, #2)
  • The Crowded Shadows (Moorehawke Trilogy, #2)
  • Hollowmen (The Hollows, #2)
  • Abducted
  • The Poison Throne (Moorehawke Trilogy, #1)
  • Human Remains
  • The Tail of Emily Windsnap (Emily Windsnap, #1)
  • Split Second
  • The Sleepover (Detective Natalie Ward #4)

The Murder Notebooks (4 books)
  • Killing Rachel (The Murder Notebooks, #2)
  • Butterfly Grave (The Murder Notebooks, #3)
  • Dead and Buried (The Murder Notebooks, #4)