Start by marking “Anleitung zum Unglücklichsein” as Want to Read:
Anleitung zum Unglücklichsein

Anleitung zum Unglücklichsein

Paul Watzlawicks kleiner Band Anleitung zum Unglücklichsein bricht rigoros mit der Vorstellung, Ziel des Menschen sei das Streben nach Glück. In Form von Metaphern, Aphorismen, Anekdoten und hintergründigen Geschichten beschreibt Watzlawick in amüsanter und ironischer Art die vielfältigen Möglichkeiten, den eigenen Alltag unerträglich zu gestalten und trivialen Ereignissen ...more
Paperback, Serie Piper 2100, 132 pages
Published January 1st 1988 by Piper (first published January 1983)

Philipp
Jan 16, 2018 rated it liked it
A very short, funny intro into how to be unhappy; as per the author, there are enough books on how to be happy, and nobody can define happiness anyway, unhappiness is much easier. Great literature is not produced by happiness.

In short chapters you read through the mind traps people set themselves, things like glorification of your own past (Uncle Rico: 'I could've gone pro'), or 'warning of arrival' (what you imagine a goal to be always falls far short of what it's actually going to
Tooba
Pursuit of unhappiness is not easy. It takes blood and sweat to become an unhappy person. It takes heaps of misunderstandings, overthinking, and tons of false judgements to make one’s life living hell. It requires bad assumptions, negativity, and continuous struggle to ruin simple things with undesired complexity.
Yet, if you want to learn some proven techniques in this pursuit, this book is for you. It is hard to hold the book till it is finished.
Ingrida
Apr 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
I appreciated the whole ironic paradoxical take on the self-help literature, but on the whole it left me a bit disappointed with a feeling in my hands that only the surface of unhappiness was barely scratched. It must be a good read for those who need to be shown for the first time through the magnifying glass the ways we trip and stumble on faulty thinking. For those who are looking for a deeper approach on solutions for those faulty ways, this book might be too pop. So 3/5.
Eleni Antoniou
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brilliantly puzzling, and puzzlingly humorous.
Clementine Sunshine
WOW.
Maria Athanasopoulou
I was hypnotised by the book. So much fun and irony....to describe techniques making one miserable...and really, these are techniques that may be used everyday and meticulously by many, even the “less talented ones” :) I also liked his description of "nevrosis", seems very straightforward definition and easy to understand.
Erick
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you really want to be miserable on life this book is a excellent guide to, with daily examples you will be identify in one or more of them, its funny how the author makes you jokes about our personal way of ruin our lives and how we do not want to do anything to change that, instead we prefer to continue with our daily embittering attitudes.

This is a must read book.
Angel
Jul 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick lighthearted read, became a little repetitive by the middle of the book.
Regardless, some good points on human behaviour and short, so great for reading on a flight. 🤓
Bartelomeo
The situation is hopeless, but not serious.
SecondMe80
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A classic of practical philosophy, using the paradoxical approach to demonstrate ways for us readers to avoid unhappiness.
Bernard
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice little read that reverses the logic of becoming happy by showing how to become an expert at creating unhappiness. Makes it easier to recognize oneself s behaviours ...more
Oliver Osterbrink
That was a short read with nothing too new for me. But it was worth reading for having it compiled in one place. It definitely helped me to understand myself a bit clearer.
Gapag
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short and funny. What else are book for?
Alexander Tomislav
A rather short book (125 pages), with a tongue-in-cheek attitude, great wit and chosen anecdotes, examines the fascinating spectrum of techniques people use in making themselves miserable. " Happiness" is not well defined, is actually poorly understood, means different ideas to different people and has a much bigger accent in our culture than in others. BE HAPPY! A casual look at world art and culture shows us we're much better at imagining terrible things than joyful ones. Medicine, culture and ...more
Fumi
Oct 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I kept thinking what it is that frustrates me when talking to Japanese women with a few exceptions. While I go through my old teenager literature I was reminded by a book I read when I was 16. It was in early Summer, and I was sitting on the blue Hollywood chair of our weekend-house in Chiemsee, when my then-friend I forgot her name told me she has just finished reading "The Pursuit of Unhappiness" by Paul Watzlawick. Despite her conjunctivitis she enjoyed it so I knew it must be entertaining. A ...more
Christophe Addinquy
The author is a famous name among the "Palo Alto School of philosophy". It's a short but dense book and not so easy to read. It's all about unhappyness. The author is going through the long list of reasons to be unhappy. But in the end, it's our decision to be unhappy, and it's up to us to decide to stop it. The author conclude by "the situation is desperate, but the cure is disperatly simple".
Ma note de lecture en Français ici
Bloodhound_omega
Jul 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charming and refreshing, but it could have been a bit more snappy for my taste. Nonetheless I enjoyed the rather inverted approach of showing how we all are prone to make the very worst of every day situations. I found myself in many described passages, which in itself alone is a healing and positive experience. Actually a book I would recommend to people who usually are against "self-therapy" literature.
Robert
Jul 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great Book. The author shows how to ruin your relationships. He takes one step after the other. From perception over communication over behavior to the view of the world. I liked it very much. I will use it as reminder to maintain healthy relationships.
Ignacio Usaola
Oct 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good. Not ever double means better.
Sanna Ghamri
Apr 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An Intresting and funny book about The pursuit of unhappiness.with many ironic stories, would definitely like to read again.
Andreas
Mar 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Exceptional as all books by P. Watzlawick. My Opinion. A MUST READ (& reflect). Kindest Regards, A.
Catty
Feb 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, books-i-own, 2014
Still my favorite book in the world, I recommend it to everybody.
Heiki Eesmaa
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A satire about psychological defense mechanisms. A small and an enlightening book.
Nina
Mar 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fascinating and amazingly true. It opened my eyes concerning many things.
Sandra Lensen
Interesting quotes and some funny stories help us realize behavior we may be exhibiting. An entertaining read, though I expected more of it. No real eye openers, but still worth it.
Erika Orozco
Mar 04, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Boring and extremely confusing. Sometimes it seems that you are reading a completely different book, because it doesn't show any relation between the title and and description.
Ed
Mar 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the greatest books i've ever read in my whole life.
Pat
Jun 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
Very readable thoughts about paradoxical communication with others and yourself.
Eryne Miganet
Jan 23, 2016 rated it did not like it
Boring stuff, mingled with a few anecdotes in-between to pretend a measure of liveliness that the book just doesn't have overall. I did not like it. At all.
Axel Beyer
Jul 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Loved the irony and sarcastic undertone. Raises some good questions that seem to be obvious but people tend to overlook. Certainly a recommendation!

• Grundformen der Angst: Eine tiefenpsychologische Studie
  • Irre! - Wir behandeln die Falschen: Unser Problem sind die Normalen - Eine heitere Seelenkunde
  • Ä
  • Dinge geregelt kriegen - ohne einen Funken Selbstdisziplin
  • Ganz unten: Mit einer Dokumentation der Folgen
  • Poems of Friedrich Hölderlin
  • Der Dativ ist dem Genitiv sein Tod: Neues aus dem Irrgarten der deutschen Sprache (Der Dativ ist dem Genitiv sein Tod, #2)
  • Miteinander reden. Störungen und Klärungen. Allgemeine Psychologie der Kommunikation, Band 1
  • Kindergeschichten
  • The Minimal Self: Psychic Survival in Troubled Times
  • Theorie der Unbildung. Die Irrtümer der Wissensgesellschaft
  • Bildung. Alles, was man wissen muß
  • Die philosophische Hintertreppe
  • Komm, süßer Tod (Brenner, #3)
  • Klein Zaches genannt Zinnober
  • Perché non possiamo essere cristiani: e meno che mai cattolici
  • Der Keller: Eine Entziehung
  • Neue Vahr Süd
Was an Austrian-American psychologist and philosopher. A theoretician in communication theory and radical constructivism, he has commented in the fields of family therapy and general psychotherapy. He was one of the most influential figures at the Mental Research Institute and lived and worked in Palo Alto, California, until his death at the age of 85
“la vida es un juego cuya primera regla es: esto no es un juego,” 0 likes
“Si nosotros lo creyéramos, sabríamos que no solo somos los creadores de nuestra desdicha, sino que también de nuestra felicidad.” 0 likes