Start by marking “Puff, The Magic Dragon (Book & Cd)” as Want to Read:
Puff, The Magic Dragon (Book & Cd)

Puff, The Magic Dragon (Book & Cd)

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  3,784 Ratings  ·  246 Reviews
Welcome to Honalee, an enchanted land of imagination and love. In this special place, you can share in the playful adventures of Jackie Paper and his childhood friend, Puff, the magic dragon.

Peter Yarrow of the beloved musical group Peter, Paul and Mary and co-writer Lenny Lipton present their timeless song in an unforgettable children's book. Become lost in artist Eric Pu
Published by MacMillan Children's Books (first published August 1st 2007)

Karly *The Vampire Ninja, Luminescent Monster & Wendigo Nerd Goddess of Canada (according to The Hulk)*

y, is for Yarrow

5 Stars

Oh man, I can't believe I never wrote a review for this one! This was my absolute FAVOURITE childhood story. Nothing, to this day, brings instant childhood nostalgia to my eyes quite like this story/song.

I remember my tone-deaf father singing me this song, I remember the lilt of his imperfect voice, the feel of his hand running through my hair, EVERYTHING!

I think everyone is familiar with this one, I don't know that I need to go into what this is all about.

I have had the
Dorcas
Jun 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I loved this book as a child of 6 being read to by my mum.

But....

It is soooo sad and I remember howling my eyes out til I could hardly see straight. I wouldn't let her stop reading though; I had to know what happened (even though I knew what happened because hey, what kid born in the seventies didn't grow up being lulled to sleep by Peter Paul and Mary, right?)

Anyway, as an adult, we know that Puff is a metaphor for childhood imagination but as a kid it goes whoosh over your head and all you k
Lorraine
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone.
Love it! Love it! Love it! What marvelous memories I have that are attached to this song! Beautifully illustrated! So well done, Mr. Yarrow, and I thank you! There is a four song CD of Peter, Paul, and Mary with Bethany and Rufus. Truly divine!
Linda
Apr 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This 50TH BIRTHDAY edition of the song written in 1959 by Peter Yarrow and Leonard Lipton is a delight for the eyes in this wonderful picture book. It is a special reminder of a song that many (in my age bracket) sang and sang again and still do today. Although the song has some sadness to it, this storybook version has a new ending. Puff, the Magic Dragon was originally sung by Peter, Paul, and Mary in 1960. They continued to sing it at concerts for years and years to come.

The song is the stor
Gerry
Nov 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'Puff the Magic Dragon, lived by the sea, And frolicked in the autumn mist in a land called Honalee' sang Peter, Paul and Mary in a 1963 recording. Well, here is the song presented in storybook style with absolutely delightful paintings by Eric Puybaret.

It is a story of an ageless dragon, Puff, and his playmate Jackie Paper, a little boy who 'loved that rascal Puff' and bought him presents as they 'frolicked in the autumn mist in a land called Honalee'.

Despite Puff's gigantic tail they managed t
Jared Burton
May 23, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english-353
Yarrow, Peter. & Lipton, Lenny. Puff the Magic Dragon. New York: Sterling Publishing Company Inc., 2007.
Genre – Fiction, Dragon Tale.
This book is based off the old song known by most, Puff the Magic Dragon. This version tells the tale of a dragon who plays with his friend Jackie Paper. They do everything together until Jackie Paper grows up and Puff the dragon. In this book however it seems that Jackie Papers daughter comes to take Jackie’s place as the dragons best friend.
This book is a v
Daryl Rothman
Nov 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this story because of the beautiful illustrations and text that tell the same story as the song made famous by Peter, Paul, and Mary. The song beautifully depicts the cycle of childhood imagination and provides a singable melody for young toddlers and children. The singable melody and enchanting pictures in this storybook tell a beautiful ongoing story of childhood fantasy. After recently rediscovering this classic childhood story, the book took on new meanings for me since reading it as ...more
Jo Woolfardis
Peter, Paul and Mary had a folk song in 1963 called Puff the Magic Dragon, which this book, written by two members of the band, is based on.

It's a very short story with a lot of repetition; having not heard the song I can't rightly compare and contrast, but it didn't flow quite right in the book as I'm sure a song would. The art work is absolutely lovely, though, in such a vivid style that it is more captivating than the words were.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Pinterest | Shop | Etsy
Michelle
Aug 09, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I know this is a classic (or whatever) but I just didn't like it. The illustrations were beautiful paintings, but it's such a sad story! This magical dragon gets forgotten by his friend because his friend grows up. Judging by the pictures, it seems that another child comes along soon to play with him, but it never even says that in the story. It's sad and not fun to read. The copy we got from the library had a CD in the back, but as soon as the song started, my toddler told me to stop it because ...more
Ruby Patel
Jun 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Puff the magic dragon - even the title gets a child excited! Magic AND dragons?! This story is taken from a song which I remember singing quite joyfully as a child! The story has followed through from here and tells the story of a dragon named Puff who lives by the sea, he and a little boy go on a variety of magical adventures, but when the little boy grows up Puff is left feeling lonely but when a girl comes along curiously looking into the cave it all changes. The artwork is lavished in dark g ...more
Cara
Sep 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this! I love the way that the book ends. The song ends so sadly, yet the book's illustrations paint a totally different (and sweet) ending! There is a CD that you play while you flip through the pages and it is just so sweet. I think (actually, I know) that I loved it even more than the boys did! This was a great, random find at the library.
Elizabeth
Nov 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Both of my kids (five and 18 months) loved this one immediately. I love it because the pictures give a happy ending to what is otherwise the saddest song in the world.

We've had the book in our house for about eight hours and I have already lost my voice from reading/singing it over and over. It's a hit.
Michael D.
This a great read for teaching phonemic awareness in the category of rhyming. It is also an excellent read for teaching the value of friendships. This fantasy poem is wonderful for addressing standards which focus upon phonemic awareness.
Emerson John Tiu Ng
...one of my favorite song... my Dad always play this song when I was young... Peter, Paul and Mary...
Dee
Apr 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
I have not listened to the cd yet but the book was beautiful. I still wonder about Little Jackie Paper though.
Sue
Nov 04, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Couldn't read the words because the song kept screaming out--very popular in its day [1963] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7lmA...
Jose
Jul 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pure amazingness! I love the story and every time I read it I end up singing the song...
 Linda (Miss Greedybooks)
My mom went to high school with Paul Stookey, of Peter, Paul & Mary who wrote & sang this song. I think everyone knows the song.
S.S.
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
I remember my mum singing this song to me a lot when I was a wee dragonet (about thirty-odd years ago) and was reminded once again of Puff, through seeing a picture of the book's cover on Pinterest! I then went on YouTube and watched a video (created by Nana Kate's Corner) where the story was read aloud. I picked this version as I liked Nana Kate's accent! :D I loved the story, and the illustrations of the dragon were gorgeous. I felt sorry for Puff when his little friend grew up and left him be ...more
Maria Thompson
Dec 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: d-songs
Awards: None

Grade Level: Prekindergarten-1st

Summary:
There is a dragon that lives by the sea near a land called Honalle. A little boy comes to visit him and brings him food. Puff is a nice dragon and does not harm anyone, he just enjoys frolicking by the sea.

Review:
The song in this book has such a nice melody. Even humming the words to the song, I feel can be soothing. The illustrations were vibrant and appealing to the eyes.

Possible In-class Uses:
1. Teacher can teach the students the words to th
Beyondthebookends
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite songs to sing to my kids.  What I love about the book so much are the wonderful illustrations that leave the story with a positive feeling at the end.

More Dragon Books at https://www.beyondthebookends.com/201...
NK
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the first song on the CD featured in this book and this is one of the cutest dragon reads I've read 👐😊😎-NK
Roger
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Of course, the words are familiar but the artwork was new and excellent, inviting exploration. Also, the origin story for the song in the notes at the end is memorable.
Cat
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this song as a kid! Always made me cry. I loved this story book, but can't read it to kids as it still makes me cry. Great song tho!
Melinda
I picked this up today from my local Op-Shop and decided to give it a read. I loved the song when I was a kid, I even learnt to play it on the piano, and this brought back all the nostalgia. The artwork in this book is adorable! I just want to be friends with Puff the Magic Dragon! :)
Nicole Raabe
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: song-books
1) Awards: None

2) Age Range: Prekindergarten+

3) Summary: This song follows Puff, a magical and kind dragon, on a journey of friendship. He befriended a boy, Jackie, and together they did different activities. When Jackie disappeared, Puff grew very sad and hid in his cave. Then, a young girl came and he became happy again.

4) Review: I remember this tune in my head, but did not know the words until reading them. The book is cute, portraying a big friendly dragon, instead of the typical portrayal
Bree
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Let me start by saying I really can't stand Puff, the Magic Dragon. I think it really stems from just hearing it way to many times. For some reason this song I like a go to in church camp when you're a kid. So my dislike is really just coming from that. I've just never been a fan. I will say reading the book the pictures are just extraordinary. They are really just some of the most beautiful I've seen. I could see someone attempting to paint them in a children's room.
Mar 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Puff the Magic Dragon was one of my favorite stories as a child, though the version I had was that by Romeo Muller (Avon Books, Oct. 1979). My dad would sing the words to me as he flipped through the pages of the book. As a child I found the fact that the story ended sadly intriguing. In fact, as a 5-6 year old, my interpretation of “[o]ne gray night it happened, Jackie Paper came no more,” was that the Jackie Paper had died – a much more tragic conclusion than actually intended (that Jackie gre ...more
Rachel Devine
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: songs
1) Awards: None
2) Grades: Kindergarden-3
3) This book/song is about a boy named Jackie Paper who goes to a land called Honalee where there is a dragon named puff. The book talks about their adventures until Jackie becomes too old to play. The song ends there but the pictures imply another child finds the land to play with Puff.
4) I love this book! I grew up listening to this song with my parents so it brings back nice memories for me. I really like this book because of the pictures, they are be
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
In the 1960s Peter Yarrow and Lenny Lipton wrote the song "Puff, the Magic Dragon", and it has become embedded in white western culture ever since. I can still remember sitting on the carpet in kindergarten, singing the lyrics while someone played it on the piano. Not until 2007 was this book version created, though, which surprises me. I guess I had always assumed it was a book first.

It's a sad tale, though there's hope in it too. Puff and his friend, a human boy called Jackie Paper, sail the w
  • Over the Rainbow
  • I'm a Manatee
  • Truckery Rhymes
  • The Peace Book
  • The Cloud Spinner
  • Who Took the Cookies from the Cookie Jar?
  • Mary Engelbreit's Mother Goose: One Hundred Best-Loved Verses
  • A Pirate's Night Before Christmas
  • The Eensy-Weensy Spider
  • Lost in the Woods
  • There Was a Coyote Who Swallowed a Flea
  • King Jack and the Dragon
  • What a Wonderful World
  • The Tale of Custard the Dragon

“Puff, the Magic Dragon, lived by the sea, and frolicked in the Autumn Mist in a land called Honah Lee, little Jacky Paper loved that rascal Puff, and gave him strings and sealing wax and other fancy stuff.” 35 likes