Start by marking “The Amish Blacksmith” as Want to Read:
The Amish Blacksmith

The Amish Blacksmith

(The Men of Lancaster County #2)

Published August 1st 2014 by Harvest House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Amish Blacksmith, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Amish Blacksmith

Start your review of The Amish Blacksmith
Jerry
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
A touching story of love and triumph over tragedy.

This book is told from the perspective of Jake, the nephew/"brother" of Tyler, the first novel's protagonist/narrator. (If you read the previous volume, you know what I mean.)

Priscilla's life was rather tragic; I myself have been struggling with some issues lately, so, her story inspired me to be more respectful of others...even if I disagree with them.
Ashley Daviau
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was given to me by my aunt and although it's really not something is typically pick up on my own, I did thoroughly enjoy it. I've always found the Amish way of life very interesting and it was fascinating to learn more about it albeit in a fictional setting. I also very much enjoyed that the story featured horses prominently and I loved learning more about them as well. The love story was really cute as well, even though I did predict it from the very beginning. All in all, a very inte ...more
Wendy Hines
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second book in the Men of Lancaster County is about Jake. Jake is Tyler's (Book 1) uncle, but they grew up as brothers. Jake left his father's buggy shop because he wanted to be a farrier. He has a kinship with horses and yearns to open his own blacksmith shop one day. He's been apprenticing as a blacksmith shop and things have been going well.

Then one day the family welcomes home Priscilla. Priscilla's mom died years ago and Priscilla couldn't handle the grief so she was sent to live with
Andrea Guy
This was a really unique bit of Amish fiction/romance.

Why, you ask?

Because the authors give you the story from the hero's perspective, and Jake Miller is such a wonderful Amish guy.

There are actually two aspects to this story; the relationship with Priscilla and his job with horses, he's a Blacksmith/Horse whisperer.

The dealings with the horses is actually the more enjoyable part of the story, as is getting Priscilla's back story.

Jake's romances were a little bit too predictable. You knew what w
Virginia
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book. The Amish setting gave a basis for the characters that I found believable and satisfying. I especially loved the characters interaction with th horses and how they learn about each other from the way they treat the horses. a well researched book with characters who resonated with me. if you have read Amish fiction before, this is one you will love. if you haven't read Amish fiction, this is the book you want to start with. it's good!
Rachel
Mar 23, 2017 rated it liked it
This is the second novel of the series: The Men of Lancaster County by Mindy Starns Clark and Susan Meissner. It was a fairly well-written Amish novel with interesting characters, most of which were well drawn. I found the plot to be reasonably unique for its genre, but I liked the first book of the series, The Amish Groom, a lot better. I will likely finish the series at some point. ...more
Loraine
Aug 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
SUMMARY: Apprenticed blacksmith Jake Miller is skeptical of Priscilla Kinsinger's innate ability to soothe troubled horses, especially when he has own ideas on how to calm them. Six years earlier, Priscilla's mother died in an awful accident at home, and Priscilla's grief over losing her mother was so intense that she was sent to live with relatives in Indiana. She has just returned to Lancaster County.

Not that her homecoming matters to Jake, who is interested in courting lighthearted Amanda She
Nov 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Genre: Amish

Apprenticed blacksmith Jake Miller is skeptical of Priscilla Kinsinger
Amy
Jul 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Amish Blacksmith is a different piece of Amish fiction to me because it tells the story through a male's eyes. I thought it was a pretty good story. There are times where my heart just ached for the characters but a wonderful way of learning of God's grace.
4 stars.
Greg
Feb 05, 2015 rated it did not like it
Good Christ, the shite I read for work.
A.G.
Jul 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Jake Miller practically has it all—a job he loves, a beautiful girlfriend, a promising future. After a little while longer as an apprentice blacksmith, he’ll finally be able to start working in his dream of owning a blacksmithing/horse-gentling business. But when his boss’s niece, Priscilla Kinsinger, arrives after a lengthy absence, she challenges his methods, and soon his character. Jake is confused by her accusations that he doesn’t “feel anything”, but he starts to wonder if she might be rig ...more
Cherese Akhavein
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is book 2 in The Men of Lancaster County Series by Mindy Starns Clark and Susan Meissner
"The Amish Blacksmith"
Jake Miller is a talented blacksmith and horse-gentler, he works for Kinsingers and within a year will be finished with his apprenticeship. Life is good. He has been courting the beautiful Amanda and his dream of owning his own business will happen soon.
Priscilla Kinsinger's life started to unravel the day her dad died, then her mother passed several years later and this young gi
Vera Wilson
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jake is a apprentice blacksmith, but also finds he enjoys working with helping to gentle troubled horses. Think he has his life pretty well planned out, work for awhile, and then open his own business. Even courting Amanda and thinks will marry and have a family.

But when Priscella back his boss ask him and Amanda to help her adjust back in to the community. Been away for 6 years, and just needs lots of help.

He loses his job due to the boss's family plans change and just can't afford to pay him.
Cara Ross
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amish Blacksmith is a smashing book! and to say that I really enjoyed it might be an understatement. I love the cute romance that develops between Jake and Priscilla when she returns to Lancaster County. And while most Amish romances follow the same sort of trope, to which The Amish Blacksmith is no exception, it is written in such a way that the storyline seems fresh and new.

I have to say that if you haven't read an Amish Romance before, The Amish Blacksmith is a great introduction to the Amish
Ellen White
May 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
A story told.by Jake, of finding the path he wanted for his life work. It was expected to follow his father in the making of buggies. His love was with horses and being a farrier, and a horse whisper. Priscilla comes back in the area after six years. She too has a gift with horses, and preferring the to people. His mother’s advice on who to marry, for God to chose, not him.
A good story of the young finding their place,in love and work
Mrskron
Jun 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful Read!

I am a fan of Mindy Starns Clark, butv am a bit leery of some Amish fiction. Sometimes I think the people don't have a relationship with God, but focus is on the Bishop and rules like shunning? I so appreciate the real life spiritual emphasis in these books. I finish being encouraged in my own Christian walk! Truly a gift of a good Christian writer. Can hardly put these books down!
Nicole
Jan 10, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the first half of this book a lot. I got a little annoyed at all the accusations that the main character needed to look into himself and break down walls. Otherwise he wasn’t good enough. The last half of the book was annoying to me.
Mrs. Doglvrs
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, amish
A lovely story that really gets to the heart of love - literally.
Eleanor
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable series. Amish life explained very well and good development of characters.
Hope Garfield
Jun 26, 2019 rated it liked it
A lot of the slang and verbiage used by the characters seemed pretty unrealistic.
Melissa James
Sep 24, 2019 rated it liked it
I would rate this a 3.5. This was a relaxing read with an interesting storyline. I found it also had a good amount of spiritual depth which gave me some things to ponder over.
Kelly
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book shows us how God can show us thinks and heal us. I can relate to what Jake told Priscilla, that she basically wasn’t allowing people to be her friends.
Penny Clawson
Apr 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Even though this was a sequel it stood alone very well. Since Clark and Meissner are among my favorite authors, it was no surprise that I truly enjoyed this one. I just might go back to book 1. 😀
Carlene
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A good story following the first book. Telling about Jake and Priscilla, showing their love for horeses. And by following God, he blessed them with more then they thought possible.
Debbie
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fast-paced; couldn't put it down. Thought-provoking, too!
Lis K
Jul 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This is the second book in the Men of Lancaster County series, with Jake Miller as the main character. I had not read the first book in the series, The Amish Groom, but I did not have any trouble following this story. (As a side note, the hero in book 1, Tyler, is Jake's nephew/best friend. Tyler makes brief appearances in this story and his backstory is summarized in this book.) Jake is in his last year of blacksmith apprenticeship although he also works as a horse gentler in his spare time. He ...more
Lisa
Sep 11, 2014 rated it liked it
I liked "The Amish Blacksmith". The book was interesting with lots of information about a culture that is intriguing and relatively unfamiliar to me. I enjoyed the world-building that occurred and getting to know the relatives and friends of the main characters.

The story is told from the perspective of Jake, a young man on the verge of starting his career and looking to get married. His girlfriend, Amanda, is a fun, vivacious girl with an easy-going personality that Jake admires. Jake is a nice
Robin
Aug 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Amish Blacksmith
Mindy Starns Clark and Susan Meissner
Book Summary: New from bestselling authors Mindy Starns Clark and Susan Meissner, The Amish Blacksmith (Book 2 in The Men of Lancaster County series) explores the men of an Amish community in Lancaster County, how their Amish beliefs play out in their unique roles, and the women who change their lives. Apprenticed blacksmith Jake Miller is skeptical of Priscilla Kinsinger’s innate ability to soothe troubled horses, especially when he has own i
Christian Fiction Addiction
Oct 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was completely blown away by how good "The Amish Blacksmith" was! It's not that I wasn't aware that Clark and Meissner make a powerful writing duo, for I thoroughly enjoyed their first book in this series (The Amish Groom). However, I certainly wasn't expecting to be so completely absorbed in the book that I ended up ignoring the world around me until I'd raced my way to the final page. And I absolutely was NOT expecting to be near the end of the book and find tears streaming down my face! The ...more
Jennifer Clausen-greene
Jun 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have fallen in love with Amish fiction. The life style, the simplicity and complexity of the life that seems so strange and wonderful at the same time you cannot help but fall in love with it. Even though this is the 2nd book in the series it stands alone easily.

I would not necessarily describe this book as a love story, even though parts of it center on relationships. The central themes are more of learning to hear Gods voice for your life, forgiveness of self, letting go of past pains, heal
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Amish Widower
  • Abraham (The Petersheim Brothers #2)
  • A Plain & Simple Heart (The Amish of Apple Grove, #2)
  • The Tinderbox
  • Amish Promises (Neighbors of Lancaster County, #1)
  • Stitches in Time (The Deacon's Family, #2)
  • Never Say Never (Daily, Texas #3)
  • The Atonement
  • Aiming for Love (Brides of Hope Mountain, #1)
  • The Quilter's Daughter (Daughters of Lancaster County, #2)
  • Listening to Love (An Amish Journey #2)
  • The First Love
  • The Imposter (The Bishop's Family #1)
  • The Farmer's Bride (Amish Brides of Birch Creek #2)
  • Winter of Wishes (Seasons of the Heart #3)
  • The Bishop's Daughter (Daughter of Lancaster County, #3)
  • The Proving
  • Christmas at Rose Hill Farm: An Amish Love Story (Stoney Ridge Seasons, #4)
Mindy Starns Clark is the bestselling author of more than 30 books, both fiction and nonfiction, and has received numerous literary honors, including two Christy Awards and RT Book Review Magazine’s 2012 Career Achievement Award. Mindy and her husband, John, have two adult children and live near Valley Forge, Pennsylvania.

The Men of Lancaster County (3 books)
  • The Amish Groom