Start by marking “A Hero's Guide to Deadly Dragons (How to Train Your Dragon, #6)” as Want to Read:
A Hero's Guide to Deadly Dragons (How to Train Your Dragon, #6)

A Hero's Guide to Deadly Dragons

(How to Train Your Dragon #6)

It's Hiccup's birthday, but that's not going to keep him from getting into trouble. To save his dragon, Toothless, from being banished, Hiccup must sneak into the Meathead Public Library and steal the Viking's most sacred book. But the Vikings see books as a dangerous influence, and keep them locked up and under heavy guard. To save his friend, Hiccup must brave the Hairy ...more
Published November 1st 2008 by Hodder Children's Books (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about A Hero's Guide to Deadly Dragons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Hero's Guide to Deadly Dragons

Sara Saif

Um...this particular GIF has no relation whatsoever to this review but I really liked it so that's why it's here.
So, the review:
Plot: Hilarious but predictable 3/5
Characters: Lovable as always 4/5
The Laugh Factor: There but a bit less this time 3.5/5
New Dragon(s): At least 4 notably Camicazi's Mood Dragon, Stormfly 4/5
Development: Vikings lift their ban on books 5/5

No wait! There is a connection; both the book and the gifs are DEAD cute!
Anna
Aug 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Anna by: Hiccup series
** read by David Tennant
app. 3 hrs

another 5⭐performance by David Tennant! 🎉💥🎉

the Hairy Scary Librarian: "Nobody borrows books from my library and lives to tell the tale!"
-Cressida Cowell, A Hero's Guide to Deadly Dragons

Toothless has gotten himself in trouble again!
It's Hiccup's 12th birthday, and instead of a party, he finds himself facing the perils of The Meathead Public Library!
Anne
Dec 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-copy
dwagon

To everyone who's only familiar with the movie/series adaptation of How to Train your Dragon, I can't emphasize enough on how the books are SO much better. I mean, the animated version isn't bad or anything, it's certainly enjoyable, but the books...the BOOKS!

toothless

Yes, one of the biggest differences involves Toothless. In the movies, Toothless is a Night Fury, a big, rare and dangerous dragon. In the books, he's a Common or Garden dragon, the smallest of all the hunting dragons around. He's a bit of
miaaa
If book #1 to #5 mostly about being adventurous and about being yourself, somehow I feel that Cowell tries to send a deeper message here in this book.

Let me share with you Hiccup's note:

"I myself grew up to be not only a Hero, but also a Writer. When I was an adult, I rewrote A Hero's Guide to Deadly Dragons, and I included not only some descriptions of the various deadly dragon species, and a useful Dragonese Dictionary, but also this story of hose the book came to be written in the first pla
The Flooze
Six books in and I'm still immensely entertained by this series. Though there's a common thread throughout all the stories - brain over brawn - each book brings with it related, worthwhile messages. (And a lot of boobie humour.)

A Hero’s Guide to Deadly Dragons centers largely on one of Hiccup’s favorite topics: the value of books. (This Viking is one of us, don’t you see?) Unfortunately, Hiccup lives in a world where books are banned ::gasp:: and the very idea of reading them - let alone writing
Deborah Pickstone
Further adventures of Hiccup, Fishlegs, Camicazi and Toothless. This was the least interesting so far.
Maricarmen Estrada M
In this fun and lovely episode of another of Hiccup's perils, he has the chance to make his father proud, to meet some amazing dragons, and the thing which I loved the most: to have a great adventure with books!
Kristen
May 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was worried I wouldn't enjoy this one as much as I did the first five, since this is the first one that I have read instead of listening to. (And if you follow my reviews, you know how amazing David Tennant is in the audio books.) Luckily, I could still hear Mr. Tennant's range of voices in my head, and the action and adventure were just as fun. I also got to enjoy the pictures, which ALMOST made up for missing out on the audio. I get a LITTLE frustrated that in every book Stoick doesn't trust ...more
Brigid ✩ Cool Ninja Sharpshooter ✩
For some reason it took me ages to read this one. I liked it, but it wasn't my favorite of the series so far. I feel like the books before this one had more compelling plots but this one was just kind of about the characters running around in a library (from an evil killer librarian, but still). At least Stormfly was introduced in this one though––YAAAY. :D

I might write a longer review eventually.
Ani Lopez
Jan 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
Thank Thor that you live in a time and a place where people have the right to live and think and write and read their books in peace, and there are no need for Heroes anymore ...

And spare a thought for those who have not been so lucky."
Davis
Jan 23, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I dunno... it was just so short, much shorter then the others, and with much less substance and humor. I absolutely LOVED the Dragon Dictionary and Dragonese Finder in the back (and there's a funny piece of wisdom somewhere), but as for the story, meh.
Denae Christine
Reader thoughts: Again, such fun. Fishlegs points out that they're in trouble when they're trusting a dragon who is a pathological liar and amnesiac. Oh, and the floor is covered in some sort of stinging dragon worm. And the drillo dragons are drilling into the library, and the Hairy Scary Librarian is chasing them. And the murderous clan is hunting them, too.

But at least they have Hiccup, and he's learning that Vikings don't have to be afraid of books. Really, you'd think that, with all the dra
Carson Wolbert
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
King Haddock
It wasn't that this was a horrible installment of the "How to Train Your Dragon" novel series. However, it lacked much of the luster that has characterized many of the other books. In a typical novel, I expect to laugh over crude and silly humor, go on a high stakes adventure, and watch Hiccup magically pull out tricks to save himself in the nick of time. In all these areas, though, "A Hero's Guide to Deadly Dragons" does not fully deliver.

The Downsides

The humor was present but not quite as flam
Brandon Cronk
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another good entry which leaves you with a couple of questions but overall a nice distraction between longer books. Also a good roadtrip audiobook if you're looking for one.
Crisp
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: joseph, 4th-grade
GuineaPigFalconer
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fairly enjoyable read, and another down in this series. I particularly liked the message in the end about the importance of books.
Next up, How to Ride a Dragon's Storm!
Danielle
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
A birthday adventure for young Hiccup. I never get tired of seeing how he gets himself out of tricky situations.
Steve Weller
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Oh, man. Another winner in Hiccup’s adventures. And we finally get to meet the Hairy Scary Librarian, Of whom we’ve heard so much about. So much fun.
Abigail McKenna
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Gosh I love this one
Tarissa
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
'Deadly Dragons' gets bonus points from me because the story is about unlocking the magic of books for young readers. Books are banned in Hiccup's world, and he wants to change the rules on that (as he should!). It's a fun adventure to go on with Hiccup, and what a brave lad he is.

The only thing I don't like about this series is one character's name -- I find it offensive in a kid's book to name a certain woman after her body parts. I can imagine many parents finding this concerning.
Caleb
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes all a boy like Hiccup wants for his Birthday is to not be on the run from the many dangers that entails life on the Isle of Burke. So when he gets wrapped in stealing from the banned library that is patrolled by vicious driller dragons, an army of soldiers and the Hairy Scary Liberian, just to name three reasons to not do this dangerous task.

I really like reading this book; there were some new interesting additions to the overall storyline of the series that I especially loved.
Emily
Jul 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
This one isn't as long as the others because the last quarter of the book is made of up a "Book of Dangerous Dragons" and a "Dictionary of Dragonese". Still, the story that is there is a good one, especially since Stoick is finally proud of his son. At the beginning, it is Hiccup's birthday. However he is having a bad day, partly because of Toothless and partly because of Stoick. But his friend Camicazi suggests that he remedy the situation which of course leads the pair, along with Fishlegs and ...more
Robbie
Apr 06, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
This is #6 in the books on which the movie "How to Train Your Dragon" was loosely based. I loved the movie...not so much the book. This is the only one I've read but the excessive descriptive mentions of the character "Big-Boobied Bertha" turned me off. I can't say how many times Cowell talks about her excessively large bosum and its accomplishments but it was "a lot" too many. In the dragonese section in the back "piss-person" is used frequently...also a turn-off. I don't think my boys will be ...more
Miss Ryoko
This one may be my favorite storyline so far of all the books.

I really do love Hiccup as a character. While he's a bit less sarcastic in the books, he's still quite great. I also really love Camicazi!

Stormfly showed up in this tome, but just like everything else, she is completely different from the movie. She is not a Deadly Natter, she's actually a mood dragon, which was quite fun. And I liked the fact she spoke Norse.

This book also had pretty much the greatest literary line every written in
Samantha wickedshizuku Tolleson
Jun 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mommy's, Children 5th grade and up
Recommended to Samantha wickedshizuku by: previous books
Not only is it leap year, which comes only once every 4 years, it's also Hiccup's birthday.
funny gifs
Toothless has been a very naughty dragon, and ate Stoik the Vast's (oh hear his name and tremble. Ug.Ug.) brand new throne, and his edition of the How to Train your Dragon book.
It's up to Hiccup and his friends to break into the Meathead Public Library to burglar another copy; before his father finds out what Toothless has done. This is where we get to meet Stormfly, Camakazi's hunting dragon, a mood dra
StorySnoops
May 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The sixth installment of this wildly popular series is just as entertaining as its predecessors, with lots of action, adventure, humor, and a cast of endearing characters to grab the attention of reluctant readers. Readers can't help but root for Hiccup, an underdog with... (click for full review http://www.storysnoops.com/detail.php...)
Nilsson
First off, may I wish him a happy birthday. And second, I don't think I've ever said how much I admire his artwork. A gripping tale about robbing a library that won't let you get books out. A lot of methods to think about.
RCEII Elliott
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
it is AMAZING. this one is my favorite of all. i love how after there's all the dragon breeds, and the how to speak dragonese. it's just really cool.
Haley Judi
Apr 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This wasn't keeping my attention at the start, but by the end it had made up to give it those 4 stars.
The Dragon's Lair: A Hero's Guide to Deadly Dragons 1 2 Apr 21, 2013 07:14AM
  • How to Train Your Dragon: The Chapter Book
  • The Sandman and the War of Dreams
  • Revenge of the Dragon Lady (Dragon Slayers' Academy, #2)
  • Black Dragon Codex (Dragon Codices, #3)
  • Rise of the Guardians Movie Novelization
  • The Dragon Diary (Dragonology Chronicles, #2)
  • Gauge (The Dragons of Wayward Crescent, #2)
  • The Art of How to Train Your Dragon
  • Revenge of the Horned Bunnies (Dragonbreath, #6)
  • Potterwookiee (The Creature from My Closet, #2)
  • Attack of the BULLIES (NERDS, #5)
Cressida Cowell grew up in London and on a small, uninhabited island off the west coast of Scotland. She was convinced that there were dragons living on this island, and has been fascinated by dragons ever since. She has a BA in English Literature from Oxford University, a BA in Graphic Design from St Martin's and an MA in Narrative Illustration from Brighton. Cressida loves illustrating her own w ...more

How to Train Your Dragon (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • How to Train Your Dragon (How to Train Your Dragon, #1)
  • How to Be a Pirate (How to Train Your Dragon, #2)
  • How to Speak Dragonese (How to Train Your Dragon, #3)
  • How to Cheat a Dragon's Curse (How to Train Your Dragon, #4)
  • How to Twist a Dragon's Tale (How to Train Your Dragon, #5)
  • How to Ride a Dragon's Storm (How to Train Your Dragon, #7)
  • How to Break a Dragon's Heart (How to Train Your Dragon, #8)
  • How to Steal a Dragon's Sword (How to Train Your Dragon, #9)
  • How to Seize a Dragon's Jewel (How to Train Your Dragon, #10)
  • How to Betray a Dragon's Hero (How to Train Your Dragon, #11)
“But how can we know that dragons did not exist? We have never actually BEEN to the Dark Ages.” 46 likes
“I myself grew up to be not only a Hero, but also a Writer. When I was an adult, I rewrote A Hero's Guide to Deadly Dragons, and I included not only some descriptions of the various deadly dragon species, and a useful Dragonese Dictionary, but also this story of how the book came to be written in the first place.

This is the book that you are holding in your hands right now.

Perhaps you even borrowed it from a Library?

If so, thank Thor that the sinister figure of the Hairy Scary Librarian is not lurking around a corner, hiding in the shadows, Heart-Slicers at the ready, or that the punishment for your curiosity is not the whirring whine of a Driller Dragon's drill.

You, dear reader, I am sure cannot imagine what it might to be like to live in a world in which books are banned.

For surely such things will never happen in the Future?

And spare a thought for those who have not been so lucky.”
38 likes