Start by marking “We Will All Go Down Together” as Want to Read:
We Will All Go Down Together

We Will All Go Down Together

Every family has its monsters...and some are nothing but. In the woods outside Overdeere, Ontario, there are trees that speak, a village that doesn't appear on any map, and a hill that opens wide, entrapping unwary travellers. Music drifts up from deep underground, while dreams - and nightmares - take on solid shape, flitting through the darkness. It's a place most people ...more
Published October 28th 2014 by ChiZine

Start your review of We Will All Go Down Together
Mir
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Wow. This was such a strong book. So well-written, so rich, so complicated. I read it slowly (not as slowly as the dates indicate; I lent it to someone and got it back 6 weeks later) and took breaks to absorb the atmosphere. It gave me weird dreams.

If I have any criticism, it was that it was hard for me to keep some of the characters straight, especially the evil ones with similar sounding names. Well, possibly they didn't really sound similar, because there is a pronunciation key in back and I
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
Complimentary copy generously provided by publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I requested this book off of NetGalley a long time ago and kept putting it off...and now I'm actually kicking myself for doing so.

Why oh why did I find excuse after excuse to not read this...it started out with me being only a "cover whore" and requesting for that alone with the genre.

Then I saw some pretty decent reviews start popping up but I still kept it tucked away on my kindle.

Well, I finally
M.
This book was kind of uneven, and I almost abandoned it halfway through. For one, it's a book-length collection of short stories, not what I'd call a novel as I'd originally assumed. (Don't know if there's a formal definition for such things in literature.) Characters are introduced and reappear. There's a background story and resolution, but the weaker stories interrupted the momentum and didn't contribute much to the overall arc. It didn't help that I read this on my Kindle—with a very few exc ...more
Allison
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really want to give this 5 stars but a couple sections/stories took away from my overall enjoyment of the book, but I also LOVED the sections I loved so?

I would describe this as....?literary? urban fantasy? One of a pair of twins slowly turns into a Cthulhian monster. Mediums channel ghosts through their skin. Young women are possessed by Nephalem. MONSTER-HUNTING NUNS. Witches are burned! Changelings! Fae!

It's pretty neat and I absolutely love Files' writing style, her formatting, her use of
Tracy
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, horror
4.5 stars, rounded up just for the writing.

Human nature at its darkest and ugliest, forces and myths beyond human comprehension, witches, fae folk, a feud across generations with the strangest cast (including a washed-out former child medium, defrocked priest turned magic objects store owner, monster slaying warrior nun, ghostbuster, excorsee/formerly possessed, shaman, psychic with a twist on being afraid of his own shadow, bodysnatching ghost, a couple of regular people) mostly set in Toronto
A Reader's Heaven
Oct 23, 2014 rated it really liked it

A mosaic novel whose characters are gifted and semi-monstrous people linked by shared blood and a violent common history, a Five-Family Coven whose 500-year-long vendetta with each other is finally coming to a head. It's Alice Munro meets Clive Barker, with a cast that includes body-stealing witches, time-travelling changelings, monster-killing nuns and evil angels.

What an amazing book. It is a novel told in l
Lisa
Oct 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, sff, short-stories
Not my favorite of Files' books--they can't ALL be--but an intriguing mix of psychics, witches, fae, clerics, and angels/demons. These intersecting stories show Files' ability (compulsion?) to worldbuild on an epic scale. A scene may be claustrophobically intimate (say, a medium shedding ectoplasm in a decontamination chamber; or a witch locked in a room with his severed shadow) while still evoking centuries of family history over two continents. Impressive, and as comforting as curses get. ;)
Αταλάντη Ευριπίδου
A great idea which, at times, is also greatly executed while, at times, fails to deliver. Some stories are really well-written, whereas other stories are not very well fleshed out. Carra is probably my favourite character and my favourite story is Jude's. All in all, it's a good enough read - at times even amazing - but somewhat uneven.
Pam Winkler
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very good collection!
The Five: A Warning to the Curious is mostly an introduction, kind of written in character.
Landscape with Maps & Legends: Dead Voices on Air was nice and interesting. I don't tend to like the more sad stories as much.
Black Box was lovely.
History's Crust was interesting. Gemma Files loves the witches, and the nasty type of witches, and I have a hard time with that. Fae I can believe, but the witches tends to hit my suspension of belief pretty hard.
The Narrow World was r
Allison
Nov 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, horror
Well. First of all, I love Gemma Files. I used to read her columns in the free papers when I lived in Toronto, and when I started reading her fiction I was vastly impressed - it was really well-written and right in the genre I really enjoy. I don't think I've ever come across one of her stories in an anthology and not been blown away. I've also read several other mosaic novels - short stories all in the same universe - and liked them. But this was, I don't know - too much of a muchness, maybe. I ...more
Lorena
Oct 10, 2019 rated it did not like it
Tedious, disconnected, with unlikable protagonists and convoluted time and story lines.
What more can I say?

The original story about the Five was quite good, I managed to pull through a few of the short stories on that alone but it got old pretty fast.

The point of giving up on the novel as a whole was during the story of the Asian guy without a shadow, God, he was unbearable. If it had been a book and not my Kindle, I would had hurdled it against the wall in frustration.

Do not recommend it. T
Billy Rubin
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, horror
I really enjoyed this book. It is constructed as a series of short stories, that progressively intertwine until the final chapter ties everything up. There are a number of interesting characters, and different situations that give this world a wonderful depth. I am now a big fan of Carra Devise and wish to read more about her in particular.

The only problem I had with the book was that at times I had a hard time differentiating the characters by voice. They didn't strongly differentiate for me, w
Dave Holwill
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A massive, ambitious sprawling set of seemingly separate stories, all interlinked by a common thread which comes together at the end for a massively good payoff.
The folk-horror equivalent of the Avengers movies, good stuff.
Daniel Daniel
Feb 13, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5
Megan Hex
Jul 18, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked the conceit and the characters, but the structure was harder to follow for me; maybe this was my own concentration issues, I don't know. I'd have preferred less breaking-into-stories.
Francesca
3.5/5

Nei boschi fuori Overdeere, in Ontario, ci sono alberi che sussurrano nella notte, un villaggio che non compare su alcuna mappa, luoghi inquietanti che intrappolano i viaggiatori incauti. Una musica sembra sprigionarsi dal sottosuolo, mentre i sogni e incubi prendono sembianze antropomorfe per serpeggiare nell’oscurità.
È un luogo mistico e agghiacciante, ma anche il centro dove le cinque linee di sangue di antiche famiglie potranno finalmente convergere.

Questa la premessa di We Will All Go
Bjorn
Apr 18, 2016 rated it liked it
If I could I'd give this book 2.5 stars out of 5. I liked parts of it, largely for the imaginative elements, but overall I found it a slog to get through. A few of the reviewers here on Goodreads have said they nearly abandoned the book halfway through but hadn't, and yet still gave the book four stars. Taking comfort in the fact that others felt similarly, I decided to power through and finish it. A part of me is glad I finished it in spite of the fact that I grew to dislike it more and more as ...more
Lady
Oct 05, 2014 marked it as technical-difficulties
This is a book of dark and horrific fantasy short stories woven together to create a tapestry of lore. They are all about the Five.

DEAD VOICES ON AIR

This story is about a girl who wants to write the ultimate folk song. She loves music and originality but folk music MUST be rooted in legend so she does research... Only to find more than she bargained for! Who is the strange man who seems to he following her?

(This story is written in blog and social media like form)

BLACK BOX

A super powered Medium
Robbie
Jun 08, 2019 rated it liked it
4/7 stars. Some of the stories were really good but some left a lot to be desired, although the writing in the ones that I didn't like was still pretty good. Some were more creepy than others, but I also felt that some of what was supposed to be creepy didn't impact me quite as intended just because of my somewhat peculiar perspective. As I read the final chapter that brings the stories all together, I figured that the ones that didn't appeal to me were written to flesh out a few characters to m ...more
Chess Pargeter
Sep 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm a massive Gemma Files fan. "The Hexslinger Trilogy" are my favourite books of all time. So when I saw another book by her about witches and fae, my response was "sign me up!" I got worried when I saw it was a series of short stories, but Ms. Files came through, like always.

(view spoiler)
Janka H.
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
Once there were 5 people (?) with evil in their souls. Now their heirs are living amongst us. This books contains the stories about their meetings, deeds, recognizing each other and fights. And about people (?) who are willingly/unwillingly connected to them.

Well, this is a strange book (as the horror books should be!). Let´s start with the praise - the authoress is obviously an intelligent, well-educated person with vivid imagination (even if her mind seems to wander the nonconventional paths
Teresa
Oct 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: did-not-finish
So... I did not finish this book. And not because I didn't enjoy the 200 pages I read, but because my reading license expired before I could get to the end. I'm an awfully slow reader when it comes to reading on the computer (average of 150 pages per month), and sadly that was my only option here. Having said that, I am very likely to get a copy of this book in the future, but I don't know when that will be. And so, I thought of sharing with you my thoughts on the first half of the book.

We Will
Jesse
Jul 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Witches, Fae, twisted family trees, ancient magic, and old blood abound in this novel from Gemma Files. This collection of connected novelettes is her attempt at creating a distinctly Canadian brand of horror, and she succeeds, for the most part. As always, her prose style is gorgeous and sumptuous, with long, poetic paragraphs reminiscent of Peter Straub. Likewise, her characters are diverse and interesting, and the way she connects them all together feels organic and satisfying. The best thing ...more
Ashley Steiner
Jan 05, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: netgalley
I received this book for free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

So, I did not finish this book. I was very excited when I first requested it, but didn't realize the novel was a series of short stories. I know there are other reviewers who really liked this style, but for me it just didn't work. I think I only managed to get about 10% in when I decided this was not the right book for me. I LOVE the cover and th
Josef Hernandez
Nov 30, 2014 rated it liked it
A well written novel and an interesting read but one that I fell could have been so much more.

For a full review, please go to http://www.examiner.com/review/we-wil... and follow me on Twitter @josenher
Alexander Páez
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Reseña completa: http://ow.ly/BYBT8

Un fix-up muy interesante y original que recomiendo sin duda. Ángeles cabrones, brujas, clanes de linajes antiguos en guerra, monstruos indescriptibles y una batalla en ciernes.

Max
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Gemma Files has created a quintessentially Canadian saga of weird, a magisterial collection of interrelated stories exploring family histories of magic, monsters, angels, and demons. It's bizarre, it's twisted, it's scary, and it's totally awesome.
Dorianne Emmerton
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Some of the individual stories are excellent (Cara and Jude especially) but the attempts to pull them together are messy. Absolutely worth it, though.
Angela
Feb 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
That was intense and awesome. with an end I did not see coming. Also I think more urban fantasy or horror should be set in Canada.
Vilde
Sep 03, 2014 marked it as to-read
Shelves: disclaimer
Read through netgalley.com ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• In the Valley of the Sun
  • The Ruins
  • Growing Things and Other Stories
  • Blood Standard (Isaiah Coleridge, #1)
  • The Secret of Cold Hill (House on Cold Hill, #2)
  • The House on the Borderland
  • The Great God Pan
  • Streets of Anger (Tormented Souls #5)
  • Feast of Fear (Tormented Souls, #3)
  • Bloody Anger (Tormented Souls, #4)
  • The House on Cold Hill (House on Cold Hill, #1)
  • House of Many Shadows
  • Teatro Grottesco
  • Anger and Death (Tormented Souls, #2)
  • There's a Giant Trapdoor Spider Under Your Bed
  • The Remedy
  • The Sleep Tight Motel
  • The Tangled Woods
Previously best-known as a film critic for Toronto's eye Weekly, teacher and screenwriter, Gemma Files first broke onto the international horror scene when her story "The Emperor's Old Bones" won the 1999 International Horror Guild award for Best Short Fiction. She is the author of two collections of short work (Kissing Carrion and The Worm in Every Heart) and two chapbooks of poetry (Bent Under N ...more