Start by marking “Arnie and the New Kid” as Want to Read:
Arnie and the New Kid

Arnie and the New Kid

(Arnie)

"Top cat Arnie teases Philip because he is confined to a wheelchair. Yet when Arnie falls down the school steps and breaks a leg, twists a wrist, and sprains a tail, he begins to see life from a different perspective. With few books about mainstreaming available, this entertaining story should be welcome".--Booklist. Full color.
Published June 1st 1992 by Puffin Books (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Arnie and the New Kid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arnie and the New Kid

Juli19
Nov 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the story of Arnie and Phillip. Phillip is a new boy who is different from other boys. He need a wheelchair to move around the school. At the beginning of the story Phillip does not have any friends and other kids like to tease him, specially Arnie. One day Arnie was making fun of Phillip and he fell down the stairs. He had to go to the hospital and he ended up with a broken leg and sprained tail. Now he was different from the other kids like Phillip, Arnie was using crutches and he was ...more
Luda Gogolushko
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
The feel of this story felt boring and sad, really it was all about more about the ability status and not on the relationship/friendship aspect, and read like a lesson versus like a story for kids. The thing that bothered me the most was that someone can only be friends/understand if you experience the same issues as the person in a wheelchair, and only include them after they know what it's like being in a wheelchair. I prefer A Very Special Critter by Mayer over this one.
Sinthia Burgos
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: exceptionalities
This is a great book to read. It’s about a new kid who is different because he uses a wheel chair. He needs help doing things at school. The book tells how he didn’t have friends at school because no one new how to play with him. Arnie would bully Philip all the time. Making fun of him because he used a wheelchair. Arnie than has an accident and breaks a few bones. He needed help doing normal activities. Philip and Arnie become friends and find ways to play and have fun together.
Robin
Mar 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: cbb
What I liked: A story that helps a more-abled child understand by first hand experience what it might be like to be less-abled. And that the two became good friends. What I didn't like: The mean-spirited treatment of the less-abled child. Why do kids (we) feel the need to behave like this in the first place?
Ronyell
“Arnie and the New Kid” is one of the first “Arnie” books that I have read from Nancy Carlson’s popular animal series. In this book, Arnie learns the hard way about the consequences of teasing other people for their differences. “Arnie and the New Kid” is definitely a great book for children who are huge fans of Nancy Carlson’s popular series.

Nancy Carlson has done an excellent job at both illustrating and writing this book. Nancy Carlson brings out the message of respecting other people’s diffe
Mallori
Mar 25, 2010 rated it liked it
Summary: Phillip is new at school and in his wheelchair. Arnie would always make fun of Phillip until he fell, broke his leg, twisted his wrist, and sprained his tail. He ended up needing help doing things like Phillip. Phillip and Arnie began doing everything together until Arnie got his casts off. Even though Arnie did not need help anymore, he remained good friends with Phillip.

Reading Level: Ages 3-8

Genre: Picture Book

Uses: Guided Reading, Independent Reading, Read-Aloud, Shared Reading

Soci
Natalie Strong
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Arnie and the New Kid by Nancy Carlson discusses the sensitive topic of those who are handicapped with disabilities. The story begins when a new kid, Philip, arrives at Arnie’s school. Philip is physically disabled and uses a wheelchair to remain mobile. Arnie does not comprehend his impairment and instead of choosing to learn about it, he makes fun of him. The teasing and taunting continues until one day, Arnie is injured. Through this injury, Arnie is able to sympathize with Philip and the dai ...more
Julia
Feb 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Arnie, the class bully, makes fun of the new kid in a wheelchair. His teasing becomes out of hand and he has an accident that causes him to have to use crutches. Arnie realizes that life is not so easy when you don't have full use of your legs. He and Philip become friends. Carlson gives Arnie the ability to see life through Philips eyes, even if his disability is not permanent. Sometimes it is not until we are faced with a disability that we are able to be compassionate toward someone who has o ...more
Sarah Owen
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rdng-350
Arnie is the main bully in his school. He likes to pick on Phillip, who is in a wheel chair. Arnie ends up having to be on crutches, and the two boys become best friends. They realize that they aren't that different and that just becasue Phillip is in a wheel chair, that doesn't mean that he cant be a really fun best friend.

I liked this book becasue the message was really impactful. I didn't like the illustrations as much as the other books I've read.

I would use this book to show that bullying
Yiovana
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book because it gives children a look in the topic of bullying and making fun of others for their disabilities. Arnie teased Phillip (the new kid) for being in a wheelchair, but later Arnie had an accident and ended up using crutches. Arnie felt how he was making Phillip feel, it made him realize that it wasn't a good feeling so later they became friends. Children can react to this in a positive way and might even get engaged by asking questions such as "how do you think Phillip fee ...more
Hana Sm.
Apr 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book has 28 pages. It shows how people with disabilities feel when they are mistreated but it doesn't patronize them. In the story, Arnie is a rotten student who makes fun of Philip in obvious and underhanded ways.
(view spoiler)
I would have students point out the things that Philip c
Siomara
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is great. It was about Philip who was new at school, and would get teased on for being different. Arnie was one of his bullies and an accident happened to him which lead him to be at the hospital. Philip showed his care and worry for him and Arnie realized that Philip was just like him and they could be great friends.
Robin Giacomelli
This book was wonderful. It really explains that special needs children are just like everyone else. The story was touching and it made me want to read it to everyone. As a teacher of special needs children I would highly recommend this book to anyone that is having a hard time with fitting in.
Elise Xuereb
Feb 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bullying
Arnie and the New Kid is a book with many colors and vivid illustrations. It teaches children about compassion and what it is like to have a disability. Teasing and bullying is NEVER ok. I think children ages 3 and up would benefit from reading this book.

Genre: Children
kelly
Sep 26, 2008 rated it liked it
Liby has had me read this book over and over. I think she likes it because she's not used to people in wheelchairs and it introduces her to that. Which is why I like this book as well. This book is also by the same author of "I like me" another favorite of Liby's.
Valenza Whitaker
I like this book. It shows that just because you are different doesn't mean other people should treat or be ugly towards you. But at the end of this book Arnie became friends with the boy who was picking on him.
Lauren
Nov 07, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: friendship
People with Disabilities. Wheelchairs.
Betsy
Oct 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
great story that isn't usually a children's topic for books...helping
classmates that are physically different than themselves.
great story and characters.
Felishia
rated it it was ok
Mar 23, 2019
Julie Kirchner
May 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Lots of thoughts from my first graders on this one. They thought Philip should have been included earlier, that George should have been a lot nicer, and that children who are in wheel chairs have lots of options for playing. It was interesting to me to see such young minds sharing their thoughts about how George should have acted. Now I'm not sure if these kids would behave better, but they certainly were shocked by George's actions. It was a good reminder about how we treat children who are dif ...more
Marcia Peterson

Arnie (5 books)
  • Arnie And The Stolen Markers
  • Arnie Goes to Camp
  • Arnie and the Skateboard Gang
  • Hooray For Grandparents' Day! (Arnie)