Start by marking “Prada and Prejudice (Mr Darcy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Prada and Prejudice (Mr Darcy, #1)

Prada and Prejudice

(Dating Mr Darcy #1)

He’s a man in possession of a large fortune….but is he in want of a wife?!

It is a truth universally acknowledged that Natalie Dashwood loves to shop. After all, as the heiress to the renowned London department store Dashwood & Jones she’s been wearing designer shoes since she could walk! But a socialite’s life isn’t as perfect as you might imagine… Natalie’s spending
Published January 2nd 2014 by Carina

To ask other readers questions about Prada and Prejudice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prada and Prejudice

Start your review of Prada and Prejudice (Mr Darcy, #1)
Amy
Dec 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
I'm all for happy endings. Really. I love them. I am a hopeless romantic who believes that fairy tales come true.

Make of that what you will.

But when a happy ending seems so utterly and transparently manufactured, when it comes so easily that it wrecks the story, I lose that love.

Such is the case with this book.

Well, one of the cases. The other one is that Prada & Prejudice can't quite decide what book it is. Cheesy romance novel? Homage to Jane Austen? Rip off of Bridget Jones? Money grab?

Karen Mace
Aug 06, 2016 rated it liked it
This was book #15 in my #20booksofsummer paperback challenge pile!

I was really looking forward to this one as the blurb is quite promising - Natalie Dashwood seemingly has it all, especially a shopping spree habit which is handy when your family run a top London Department store that allows her shopping excesses to carry on. But when that store hits financial trouble then so does Natalie as she's never seemingly heard the word 'NO' before!

And this is where my problems began, as Natalie was just
Susan Buchanan
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Bridget Jones meets Shopaholic and then some!

I have to say I was drawn in by the cover and not by the name. Initially I thought it might be an updated version of Pride and Prejudice and was glad to find it wasn't, as I am not a massive Austen fan. The book is light, frothy, sexy, funny as hell, and was just the escapist read I needed with a young baby interrupting me. I read it over the course of a few days at every possible opportunity. By comparison it took me 3 weeks to read the new Bridget
Lisette Brodey
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I just loved this book from start to finish. As the story begins, department store heiress/socialite and shopaholic Natalie Dashwood waits on a very demanding (and good-looking) customer — who is much more than he appears to be. I won't re-hash the synopsis, but rather, will say a few words about why I enjoyed Prada and Prejudice so much.

The book has wonderful humor and multiple story arcs that feature the various characters who run the very old, dignified, staid (and failing) Dashwood and James
Becky Johnson
Sep 30, 2015 rated it liked it
This book has such a potential to be so much better if only it were proof read or "researched".
For one thing Aussies say crikey, not posh rich girls.
Another, there were far too many storylines going in this book, too many pov that were unnessecary.
If you don't know about medical stuff, please please don't pretend you do or research the correct diagnosis.

I enjoyed the main characters to an extent and am willing to read this authors other books to see how her writing progresses and where the
Dawn
Jan 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Prada and Prejudice. What a fab title and what a beautiful cover! I had an ARC of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review, which I'm more than happy to give.
The story revolves around Natalie Dashwood, heiress to Dashwood and James a beautiful but failing department store, in my eye it was very much like Macy's in New York! I do like to visualise a setting.
My first impression of Natalie was - spoilt brat!! She has never had to work and has managed to successfully wrap her
Suze Lavender
Aug 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Nathalie Dashwood doesn't really work. She's the future heiress of a large department store and she has a company credit card, so she can buy what she likes. She loves to shop and has a fabulous sense of style. Dashwood & James aren't doing as well as she thinks they are doing and her spending has to stop. When her boyfriend dumps her by getting engaged to someone else at a party in front of everyone they know Nathalie has to start thinking about the future. Rhys Gordon has been hired to ...more
Namratha
May 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit, romance
I really need to stop getting terribly excited every time I see a Pride and Prejudice adaptation at the bookstore. Because being terribly excited means I feel the terrible need to bring the book home and that eventually leads to getting terribly disappointed when the modern-day Lizzie and Darcy duo do not live up to my expectations.

Prada and Prejudice falls under this category. Except for the fact that the hero is a tough-talking, bossy good looker this book bears no resemblance to the
Rachel Gilbey
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Natalie Dashwood is the heiress to Dashwood and James, chain of department stores. Like most heiresses, she likes nothing more than spending as much as she can, and has little idea what anything is worth.

However Dashwood and James are possibly going under, so her grandfather, Sir Richard, hires Rhys Gordon to try and turn the stores fortunes around.

That is the most basic explanation of the main storyline, and although it may sound similar to many other books, you soon discover just how talented
Hannah
May 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
A lot of people called Plum Sykes 'Bergdorf Blondes' shallow, but this made that look like the Marina Trench compared that BB (which was a lot more enjoyable too). You go into the book thinking the plot was simple enough - which is what I wanted - but instead there was about six or seven different POV all clashing against each other, taking away from the central storyline - Natalie and Rhys' romance.

The only thing that kept me going was the sexual tension between those two, but even in the end I
Amanda
Mar 14, 2019 rated it liked it
I chose this book because I thought it would be a modern take on Jane Austen. It's not. It was still a light, easy read, with likable characters, but it's more of a beach read that I thought I'd be getting. The author was sort of all over the place with too many characters each having their own mini stories within the main story, but the main story carried the book.

For a first time author, it had good dialogue, though a bit too much foul language for my personal taste, and the characters were
Cat Gray
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2019
It was kinda silly.
Bryony
Aug 27, 2014 rated it did not like it
This book so should have been called HashtagFirstWorldProblems.

Pride and Prejudice. Where do I start? It is a book that I am infinitely better acquainted with than I would like - it being one of my GCSE texts and all. I will try not to degenerate into a full-blown rant. Honestly. Just it's quite hard not to when we are talking about an antiquated, dull, uninformative take on a tiny potion of the privileged classes of regency England, with no commendable characters, literary techniques or
Robyn Koshel
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Prada and Prejudice is loosely based on Sense and sensibility. There are familiar themes and even some familiar character and names, but the rest is all Katie Oliver's wonderful imagination.

The book starts off with Natalie, who is heir to a failing department store and London socialite. Spending more money than she can ever hope to make, her grandfather puts her to work on the sales counter.

After being dumped by her train wreck of a rock star boyfriend, she meets Rhys Gordon. I'd say more like
Shruti
Dec 21, 2014 rated it did not like it
Read it on an overnight flight. Badly written and trite.

I am struck anew by why I don't like the shopaholic books. "Girl likes shopping. Doesn't have a job. Meets dreamy SERIOUS man who falls in love with her flightiness. Shenanigans ensue. Everything gets tied up into a little bow."

Et voila.

Just stop it already with this kind of chick-lit that assumes women only like shopping and men who don't like them to shop.

Natalie Dashwood (no relation to Marianne and Eleanor) is a one dimensional paper
Elaine
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a light hearted chick lit which is definitely fun to read. Natalie Dashwood, "it" girl and heiress of the Dashwood and James department store chain, loves to Shop with a capital S. Her life is going to change however when it becomes apparent that the family business is in trouble and has to bring in Rhys Gordon to try and change its fortunes. For the first time in her life she has to work and, even more devastating, has to curb her spending. What follows is a really good read, one that ...more
Rebecca Raisin
Dec 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books that has you totally riveted from the get-go. The main character Natalie is hilarious and even though she came from 'old money' originally I still found myself relating to her antics, and her social life. (Well when I had a social life pre-kids!) There are a number of different story lines, and Katie Oliver weaves them seamlessly. I found myself eager to keep reading to find out how they all connected, and because they were really well rounded characters, believable ...more
Gina Henning
Jan 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow, I loved all the different story lines in this book. Each character was thoroughly developed and I enjoyed reading about them. The majority of the story revolves around Natalie Dashwood who has lived a sheltered life with her limitless charge card in hand, but things are coming to a dramatic halt for her.
Enter Rhys Gordon, he is tough(though very swoonable) and going to whip Dashwood and James(Natalie's family's failing department store) into shape, along with Natalie.

The banter between
MetLineReader
Aug 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
Needed a light, fluffy read to break up the tension from a couple of dark, intense thrillers... this did just the job.

As a Jane Austen fan with a particular love for Pride & Prejudice, this could have gone very wrong. Nice touch having the heroine of a P&P story called Miss Dashwood...

It is so loosely based on P&P that it really didn't need to be (misjudge a book by its cover etcetera) but was a good story that I haven't even remembered two days later.

Now before any of my highbrow
Katherine
Oct 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: meh, cute
This book was easy breezy. A light chick flick slightly funny at times.

Natalie, the main character is a young girl in London who grew up very privileged but is not a snob which is surprising given that shes London Posh. Her family business is going bankrupt and her grandfather has hired a new young, attractive young shark to fix things with whom Natalie must work with.

Surprisingly NOT they have a fling that turns into a thing and everyone gets a happy ending.

Not the best review written ever
Amanda
Nov 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
I tried this book awhile ago and DNF'd it. I usually adore P&P retellings so I decided to try it again. I am glad I did because I ended up really enjoying it. Of course I loved Rhys, he is Mr. Darcy. Natalie reminds me more of a cross between Bridget Jones and Becky Bloomwood. There's a large supporting cast with a few side stories which keep the story interesting. All problems tend to work out easy and neatly, which isn't reality but I like a lack of reality sometimes. I will read the rest ...more
Julie Stock
Mar 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Sometimes, what you're looking for is a nice, easy chick-lit story and this book fits that bill perfectly. I liked the setting and thought the author did really well to capture the Englishness of it all, given that she's American. I liked the main characters and followed their path towards their inevitable happy ending with enjoyment. I thought all the sub-plots were well-drawn too. I would recommend this as an easy-to-read rom-com that will keep you reading on to the end without any problem at ...more
M. Cavani
Dec 06, 2015 rated it did not like it
Omg, I don't know how I came to the end of this stupid book and how I waste my precious money buying this digital copy. Agh! First of all, you shouldn't name your book after a famous author if the book doesn't have ANYTHING in common with one of the most popular classics in literature, and second, don't keep doing it. Please, save yourself from this stupidity, characters are weak and the story is poor. I found myself more jumping pages than reading them
Book-shelf Shelf
Jan 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
The way this story starts reminded me of 2 other books about department stores.but the story soon takes on a life of its own and takes the reader on a journey like no other.

The story of Natalie and the store is brilliant with many colourful characters adding lots of flavour and fun. along with some sharp shocks. The action never stops and this is definitely an un-putdownable book!
Gemma
Jan 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-s, ebook, chick-lit
I do wish that goodreads would add half stars. this book is in that camp od above average but not great.

For me there was too many plots going on and that meant that the main plot was not explored properly. This meant that the characters suffered.

Like others, I was confused if this was a homage to austin. shame cos there is a good book and great characters in there
Susanne
Nov 03, 2015 marked it as dnf
DNF at 25 percent.

There was nothing wrong with this book, but it didn't stoke my reading fire either.
Ján Bryndza
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love Katie and I love Natalie Dashwood! The story is very well written. So much fun and full of surprises :-) Can't wait to read next book from Katie!
Ailish Sinclair
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed reading this over the new year. I loved the London setting, the characters were likeable and the ending satisfying.
Jean
Jan 25, 2015 rated it did not like it
At some point, I'll learn my lesson and realize you get what you pay for. Need to stop buying $0.99 and $1.99 chick lits! This was so hard to read, I thought the end would never come.
sarah_ekm
Dec 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fun fast read, reminds me of Sophie Kinsella books. Plus I miss London so I enjoyed having it as the setting.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Author Interviews...: PRADA AND PREJUDICE, by Katie Oliver 1 1 Jan 24, 2015 05:30AM

• This Charming Man
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • Moranthology
  • Shortcake
  • Shopaholic to the Stars (Shopaholic, #7)
  • Tennison (A Jane Tennison Thriller #1)
  • Hot Dog Girl
  • Johnny Be Good (Johnny Be Good, #1)
  • Little Sister
  • Strangers She Knows (Cape Charade, #3)
  • Pictures of Lily
  • Chasing Daisy
  • Always the Wedding Planner, Never the Bride (Emma Rae Creations, #2)
  • The Meanings of Dress
  • A Royal Pain (Unruly Royals, #1)
  • The Dating Proposal
  • Hidden Killers (Tennison, #2)
  • The Perfect Hope (Inn Boonsboro Trilogy, #3)
Katie Oliver loves romantic comedies, characters who "meet cute," Richard Curtis films, and Prosecco (not necessarily in that order). She currently resides in South Florida with her husband, two parakeets, and a dog.

Katie has been writing since she was eight, and has a box crammed with (mostly unfinished) novels to prove it. With her sons grown and gone, she decided to get serious and write more

Dating Mr Darcy (4 books)
  • Love and Liability
  • Mansfield Lark
  • The Dating Mr Darcy Trilogy: Prada and Prejudice/Love and Liability/Mansfield Lark
“If you want something badly enough, no matter what it is, you find a way to get it.” 0 likes