Start by marking “Loving God When You Don't Love the Church: Opening the Door to Healing” as Want to Read:
Loving God When You Don't Love the Church: Opening the Door to Healing

Loving God When You Don't Love the Church: Opening the Door to Healing

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  134 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Many Christians who experience hurt in the church don't just leave their own churches; they leave the church altogether. Whether they have been wounded by pastors or people in the pews, these believers have had enough and are jumping ship in massive numbers.
Pastor and churchgoer Chris Jackson is honest about his own failings as well as those of the church at large. He iden
Published September 1st 2007 by Chosen Books

To ask other readers questions about Loving God When You Don't Love the Church, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Loving God When You Don't Love the Church

Stuart Smith
Aug 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian-living
I have heard it said that if you have never been mad at your church, you are probably not very involved. The author speaks in what seems to be a very transparent manner about is life experience as a church member and as pastor. He has alot of great advice and insights into how not to let the root of bitterness grow in the soil of hurt. The author encourages us to allow our hurts to make us broken before God and not to allow ourselves to descend into and become mired in woundedness. This is a ver ...more
blondemummy
3.5*. Starts really well but then tapers off. A really good read though and so many of the same experiences occur everywhere, I've certainly been there! Interesting points about how many leaderships have strayed from conflict resolutions in the Biblical way as I have also been there and can relate.
John Hately
Starts solid, later gets lost
I was hoping this book might provide another insight as to Loving God without mainstream Church attendance, but it didn't! This is really something I need to work out with God himself...

Godspeed
Erin
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book started out really strong, but then it just seemed to fall apart. I noticed that he repeated a lot and it was really hard not to lose interest.
Cornell
I enjoyed reading this book. It was refreshing and intensely personal. The author chose to take a more personal and pastoral approach, so most of the examples used are from his own life. I found his approach effective because he managed to stay objective even while sharing his subjective experiences. He capitalized on the fact that human beings are not very different. If there's anything in which we find common ground, it is in our struggles and challenges.

This book was not very doctrinal, it wa
A.C. Bauch
all right. there was a lot of wonderful info in this book, both for people who have been hurt by the church, and for those trying to understand people who have been hurt by the church. however, i don't necessarily feel that this book does the best job of helping people heal. although i don't know if that's the intent, as the subtitle says that it will merely "open the door to healing." also, the author often seemed interested in relating his personal experiences, and i felt that the content coul ...more
Rex Libris
Mar 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book starts off slow, but once you get past the the first third ofthe book things really pick up. Pastor Jackson has a lot of wisdom to share about human relationships and the church.

Pastor Jackson discusses how churches can wrong and hurt the parishoners, and why these hurts tend to be the most severe hurts people experience. As the name suggests, he lays out a path for spiritual healing and how to rejoin the church one is a member of, or how to quietly move on to a new church that is less
Kendra Vaughan Vaughan Hovey
The first 75% of the book (Kindle) was a worthy read. The author is humble and shares some very worthwhile ideas about how Christians can heal through the pain of spiritual abuse. In addition, he offers some wise observations about why Christians are abusing one another and how to stop. Beyond that, when the book turned to mission, I was hugely disappointed and could not finish reading it. Sadly, in my personal opinion, the Great Commission is a huge factor in why so many are spiritually abused ...more
Ella
Mar 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The lessons were not all easy to get through. Learning from past experiences and growing because of them, isn't always easy. So it took me a while to get through this book. For me, this was a good read. I'm very likely to reread some parts from time to time. My advice to anyone who is going to read this or is reading this now, don't rush it. Read as slow as you need to. Focus on what you are learning about yourself and what God is doing in your life.
Rachel
Mar 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
This author does a good job showing our responsibility to be the healing influence among believers, both those within and outside of our own body of believers. He challenges us to overcome our hurt in order to draw closer to God and to be the image of Christ to others.
Greg Edwards
May 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Healing

I gave this book 5 stars because I have been hurt in the church. I'm currently looking for a new church.
Pam
Feb 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This looked interesting when I bought it in November. I had no idea that I would need it just two months later. It has helped with my healing process.
Jan
Apr 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very interesting
Grant Davis
One of the best books I've ever read. If you ever are in need of healing from pain...especially from the church...THIS IS THE BOOK FOR YOU!!!
John Penner
May 08, 2014
Laura Kahn
Jul 18, 2015
Sara Tusek
rated it did not like it
Apr 02, 2017
  • God Can't Sleep: Waiting for Daylight On Life's Dark Nights
  • Secondhand Jesus: Trading Rumors of God for a Firsthand Faith
  • They Thought They Had More Time: I Saw the Day of the Lord
  • Kingdom Journeys: Rediscovering the Lost Spiritual Discipline
  • Creating an Intimate Marriage: Rekindle Romance Through Affection, Warmth and Encouragement
  • NIV Once-A-Day 31 Days of Wisdom
  • Real Peace: Freedom and Conscience in the Christian Life
  • The Power of Persistent Prayer: Praying With Greater Purpose and Passion
  • The God Who Sees You: Look to Him When You Feel Discouraged, Forgotten, or Invisible
  • The Jesus Experiment: What Happens When You Follow in His Footsteps?
  • Healing for Damaged Emotions (David Seamands Series)
  • The Secret of the Stairs
  • Truth Seekers: Ten Amazing People Who Found It!
  • Define Your Destiny Through Prayer: Your Journey to Divine Revelation

$7.74 $1.99
  • The Autobiography of Malcolm X
    $7.99 $1.99
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All Over But the Shoutin'
    $11.99 $2.99
“Despite His sovereign ability to do whatever He wants in the universe, and despite His ability to work signs, wonders and miracles in any situation, His primary means of answering prayer seems to be through people. If we read the Bible from a big-picture perspective, we will notice that when God answers prayer, far more often than He performs a miracle, He sends a person. People are the most common form of answered prayer.” 0 likes