Start by marking “Skin Game (The Dresden Files, #15)” as Want to Read:
Skin Game (The Dresden Files, #15)

Skin Game

(The Dresden Files #15)

4.56  ·  Rating details ·  67,289 ratings  ·  4,537 reviews
Harry Dresden, Chicago's only professional wizard, is about to have a very bad day…

Because as Winter Knight to the Queen of Air and Darkness, Harry never knows what the scheming Mab might want him to do. Usually, it’s something awful.

He doesn’t know the half of it…

Mab has just traded Harry’s skills to pay off one of her debts. And now he must help a group of supernatural v
Published May 27th 2014 by Roc

To ask other readers questions about Skin Game, please sign up.
Shanna You really need to start from the beginning or you will have no idea of what is going on. And they are so good why deprive yourself
…more
(less)

·  67,289 ratings  ·  4,537 reviews

Start your review of Skin Game (The Dresden Files, #15)
Patrick
May 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It occurred to me today when I sat down to write a review of this book, that I've never gone into detail about my Dresden Files obsession online.

That said, it's certainly there, in bits and pieces, pretty obvious for anyone who is willing to read between the lines.

And I've talked about my love for the series in public many, many times. Usually in response to the question, "So what are your favorite books?" Or "What should I read while I'm waiting for book three to come out?"

But I've never rea
Jeremy
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Shelves: fantasy
Loved this book, as usual.

I want to start with a quote from Jim Butcher:

For me personally, CHANGES – GHOST STORY – COLD DAYS is the big three-part special episode that comes in the middle of the season like they used to do in the old shows, like in the 70s and 80s. “This is the HUGE, EPIC episode!” and they’d occasionally pre-empt the whole evening to show it to you. That’s what those three books are to me. This will be getting back to what we’ve done before. Harry’s been kind of in isolation fo
Eric Allen
Nov 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Skin Game
Book 15 of The Dresden Files
By Jim Butcher

A Review by Eric Allen

Soooo... I understand that there are a lot of Dresden fans that have been rather abhorred over the very dark turn that the series has taken during and after Changes. I, for one, don't really understand why these people didn't see it coming. I mean, in the very first chapter of the series he goes to a murder scene where two people had their hearts exploded out of their chests with black magic. That should have been a pretty
Nataliya
Aug 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My love for this series is now almost unprecedented, and quite irrational. My objectivity makes a mad dash for the nearest exit any time Harry Dresden is concerned. Because Harry and I? We have been through some tough shit together, and that is the friendship that's truly unbreakable.
“Well, hell,” I said. “What’s the world coming to if you can’t trust Santa Claus?”
Yes, I know there are probably many reasons why I should be critical of these books. The savior complex. The not-so-rare deus-ex-
Em Lost In Books
Jul 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star, 2019, 2010-19, 2015
Another entertaining installment. Sadly, there are no new books in series to read now.
Mike (the Paladin)
Okay....listen very carefully, or if you're a stickler for accuracy...read very, very carefully:

If for some reason, curiosity, accident or whatever you have decided to look at this review and you HAVEN'T read Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden books, stop whatever you are doing...reading this review, eating a meal, pretending to work as you browse the internet, surgery, having sex, whatever it takes, disconnect your IV tubes, put your oxygen tank on wheels NOW. Pick your favorite way to read a book, E-
Luffy
Jules
New book this year!!

Update: 13 Nov 2013, uh, what?! It's not going to be released Dec 3rd?

So I've been lied to for months now?!!!

Someone's gonna have to die for this treachery!

Update: 6 Jan 2014...... WOOHOO. Official release date May 27th.

Update & review: 1 Jun 2014.
Well, well, well. What a game. Mab, you wicked faerie. This book was very good, plenty of action, development for the series, and for Harry in particular. It made it me cry at least twice, maybe three times. Hard to do.

My only c
Evgeny
Mar 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Mab a fairy Winter Queen gives Harry Dresden as assignment he cannot refuse for numerous reasons. Not only it is highly dangerous, but poor Harry has to work with one of his worst enemies helping the latter. If you read the blurb for this book, you might as well skip reading the real thing altogether as it gives away practically everything - who the heck wrote it???

I thought it would be fun to make a short quiz about the book instead of forcing people who will be unlucky enough to read this revi
Adrienne
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Anyone else really looking forward to Dresden's next encounter with Kincaid? I think as moments go, 'priceless' would be an understatement :)
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
[4.5 stars] Following my two (okay, three) least favorite books of the series, I went into Skin Game fearing Jim Butcher had lost his touch and had dragged the story on too long. What a delightful surprise when Skin Game turned out to be one of, if not my favorite Dresden book so far. It had a strong plot (complete with an interesting bad guy), a good integration of the many fantastic side characters, and, of course, a ton of that snarky humor. It quickly turned a novel I was determined to “get ...more
Anne
May 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Also reveiwed for Addicted2Heroines

Wow.
Book 15, already?
Huh. Well I guess since I've been reading these books for years now, that sort of makes sense.
So.
How did Skin Game hold up to scrutiny?
It was classic Dresden.
And you can take that whichever way you want.
If you're a die-hard fan of this series, and you still enjoy Butcher's books about the wacky (but lovable) wizard, who can't help getting himself in over his head...then you'll love this one.
However, if you were hoping for something differ
Nana  Devourer of Tomes
May 28 2014

HOLY.

FUCKING.

SHIT.

I knew this book was going to be good but I never expected it to go to that level of epic. It had EVERYTHING I wanted, resolved a lot of stuff, advanced several things that have been stagnant for a while and we had DENARIANS again. God, I love them. They're the creepiest, nastiest villains I've come across in literature lately (bar the Naagloshi). The only thing that I was a bit disappointed at was the lack of Toe-mas.

Be prepared for loads of feels btw. Might be the
Brandt
May 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Butchers description of Skin Game
"The next novel is called Skin Game. In it, we find out that Mab has various debts which she has incurred over the years and Mab is very keen on getting her debts paid, and when one of the people she owes shows up and asks for a favour, she loans him Harry Dresden in order to help him. So Harry is going to find himself, by command of Queen Mab, assisting Nicodemus Archleon in a heist. They’re going on a bank job, and they’re going to knock over the vault of Hades
Experiment BL626
Book 15 was enjoyable but it was not one of the best books of the series. I had several issues with the characters.

The Characters

+ Dresden

I'm sick of Dresden's self-reproach. I know it's a personality flaw and it's never leaving because it's book fucking 15 and still no sign of self-esteem growth but I really wish it would. I'm tired of Urban Fantasy protags hating themselves for simply existing.

Secondly, he spent a year in Demonreach and all he learned was parkour. Granted, he did display a fe
Emma
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Parcour! If anyone was new to urban fantasy this is the first series I’d recommend. It was what I started with myself. As many before me have said, this series just gets better and better. I know that many didn’t like books 13 and 14 as much, but I’ve loved them all!
One of the things I love is the payoff from previous books. Character development over the series is phenomenal, not only for Harry Dresden, but all the rest of the cast too. With each book, more of the back story is threaded in. The
Heidi The Reader
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Harry Dresden, wizard-for-hire and Winter Knight, joins a group of unsavory characters to pay off a debt owed by Mab and to steal something incredibly valuable from a god. And he thought he had bad days before this. At least he still has a way with words.

"... Nicodemus is a murderous murdering murderer," I said. "And if he's picking a crew, they're going to be just as bad." pg 26, ebook

Is there anyone he can trust? Can he even trust himself with the strange "parasite"-thing growing in his head?

"
Carly
This is Harry Dresden. This is Harry the Bolshevik Muppet.*
. .
Put them both in dusters and there really isn't much difference, especially now that Mab is pulling Dresden's strings. They even have the same hair.

*by the way, if you're not up on muppet pop culture, the Bolshevik muppet's name really is Crazy Harry. He is described on the wiki as, "An unkempt figure with wild eyes and a mad cackle, he delights in blowing things up."

Well, shoot. I dropped by to see if it came out in the next few
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

*4.5 stars*

Though this wasn't my favorite Harry Dresden book, it was still amazing. Part of that is because the audio of this book is so good I could cry. The audio of this series, especially the later books, is simply the gold standard of what an audiobook can be. The audio for this book was astonishingly good, and I think even if the book was terrible, I could never do anything but love it.

The story was exciting, Harry was impressive, and the audio was divine. Now I just have to suffer and wa
Emma
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reread
By far the best of the series, this book doesn’t have a single moment that’s not totally freaking awesome.

The countdown to Peace Talks starts now...
William
Apr 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
it's Dresden, how can it be anything other than five stars.

just finished the book...Holly Crap!!!!!!!!!!!!
Regina
Giveaway of this book here.

Skin Game is really good. I mean really good. Jim Butcher gets better with every book. It had a little hit of Murphy and a little but of Michael. This is one of the best books I have read this year. Skin Game is brilliant, it is amazing and so worth the long wait (18 months!). The main problem with reading Skin Game is the wait for the sequel (Peace Talks #16), which as of right now has an estimate of an August 2015 release. At this point, while Goodreads has August 20
Planchette
Nov 04, 2013 marked it as to-read
I should have a whole new category for this. 'To Read' doesn't quite cover it. Maybe, 'Must Read'?
Ginger
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, audio
Damn!!! This just got so good at the end and now I have to wait for new books in the series!
All the plot twists at the end were excellent. I didn't see them coming. I loved the addition to Hades in this book as well.

The Dresden Files has been a favorite urban fantasy series of mine for years.

I finally decided to catch up to the series by doing the audiobook on Skin Game. James Marsters did such a great job that I plan on doing this type of format moving forward when Jim Butcher releases anot
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.blogspot.com/201...

Let’s face it, there’s really no such thing as a bad Dresden Files book – but some are better than others. For me, this series reached its peak round book 5 or 6. I loved Death Masks and Blood Rites, and though everything since has been very enjoyable, there are still times I get nostalgic for the days where Harry’s life was a lot simpler. Well, relatively simpler. The point is, each installment has added another layer of
David Sven
Another decent entry added to the Dresden Files and another excellent audio performance by James Marsters.

This book will see a much powered up Harry taking on the underworld - no the other underworld - THE underworld. Yes, Mab has her Winter Knight teaming up with some of the most evil characters we've come to loathe over the series to help them rip off a treasure trove from the very jaws of hell - or the Greek version of hell.

Hell's Bells! How is he going to that? Well let's check the list -
Marielle
Apr 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books-own
I think this was the best one in the series so far. Mab scares the s**t out of me! Can't wait to read #16!
Tim The Enchanter
Review Posted to The Literary Lawyer.ca

Silver Gavel for Best Novel of 2014

My #8 Read of 2014

Oceans 11, Harry Dresden Style - 5 Stars

Just when I thought the series had "jumped the shark" and was on a express trip down the crapper, Jim Butcher pulls off a magnificent effort with his latest and greatest. For my money, Skin Games is one of the best three in the series. The story is one of the best thought out, organized and exciting in many years. I hang my head in shame for uttering th
Tammie
Harry Dresden, Chicago’s only professional wizard, is about to have a very bad day….

Isn't that the way it always is for Harry?

This is simply the best urban fantasy there is. 15 books into this series and I am not even a little bored with it, nor am I tired of reading about Harry Dresden. I loved that Michael was back in this one and that Harry seems to be almost back to himself again after the events of the last three books. The visit with Michael and Maggie were long over-due. There is also
Becky
Pretty much amazing. That is all.

...Ok, that's not all. I have been having an iffy run of books lately. They take me ages to read, and then I like them overall, but not like engrossingly LOVE READING them. I can only think of two off the top of my head that I've read this year that I actually loved the whole process, from start to finish, of reading. That would be The Martian by Andy Weir, and this book right here.

This book is everything that I've come to expect from the Dresden series. Excitin
SkinBliss Skin Cream Ingredients 1 1 Feb 19, 2020 12:56AM
emylia-skin-cream 1 1 Nov 05, 2019 05:32AM
Ultra Keto Fuel IS IT SAFE OR NOT?? Must Read & LEGIT REVIEWS? 1 1 Oct 30, 2019 12:38AM
Evaria Face Serum- Beautiful Skin Without The Botox! 1 1 Oct 29, 2019 03:49AM
SlimWorks Keto IS IT SAFE OR NOT?? Must Read & LEGIT REVIEWS? 1 1 Oct 29, 2019 01:39AM
Insta Keto 1 1 Oct 27, 2019 04:58AM
Being A Rockstar In Your Industry Is A Matter Of Keto Power Boost 1 1 Oct 26, 2019 01:26AM

• My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding
  • Blood Lite (Hellchaser, #0.5)
  • Chosen (Alex Verus, #4)
  • Cursed (Alex Verus, #2)
  • Fated (Alex Verus, #1)
  • My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon
  • Hidden (Alex Verus, #5)
  • Taken (Alex Verus, #3)
  • Hounded (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #1)
  • Veiled (Alex Verus, #6)
  • Burned (Alex Verus, #7)
  • Bound (Alex Verus, #8)
  • Many Bloody Returns
  • Under My Hat: Tales from the Cauldron
  • Hexed (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #2)
  • Hunted (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #6)
  • Hammered (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #3)
  • Trapped (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #5)
Jim Butcher is the author of the Dresden Files, the Codex Alera, and a new steampunk series, the Cinder Spires. His resume includes a laundry list of skills which were useful a couple of centuries ago, and he plays guitar quite badly. An avid gamer, he plays tabletop games in varying systems, a variety of video games on PC and console, and LARPs whenever he can make time for it. Jim currently resi ...more

The Dresden Files (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1)
  • Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2)
  • Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3)
  • Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4)
  • Death Masks (The Dresden Files, #5)
  • Blood Rites (The Dresden Files, #6)
  • Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, #7)
  • Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, #8)
  • White Night (The Dresden Files, #9)
  • Small Favor (The Dresden Files, #10)