Start by marking “The Alamo ” as Want to Read:
The Alamo

The Alamo

"The majority of the stories of the Alamo fight have been partly legendary, partly hearsay and at best fragmentary. It has been left to John Myers Myers to present an exhaustively researched book which reveals the chronicle of the siege of the Alamo in an entirely different light. . . . Myers' story will stand as the best that has yet been written on the Alamo. . . . It's ...more
Published June 1st 1973 by University of Nebraska Press (first published 1948)

To ask other readers questions about The Alamo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Alamo

Start your review of The Alamo
Hank Hoeft
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
For such a short, concise work, John Myers Myers' account of the siege of the Alamo is surprisingly wide-ranging, but I suppose this must needs be the case, as the actual siege only lasted ten days and the climactic battle--the actual storming of the mission--was over in about five hours. And indeed, the actual battle only comprises one section--the final one--in a three-section book.

The first section chronicles the history of Spanish, Mexican, and North American involvement in Texas. This
Andy Zach
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
What a great history book! I say that, totally biased as I am, toward historians that tell stories, such as John Myers does. He tells the story of all the major figures: Sam Houston, Travis, James Bowie, Davy Crockett and Santa Anna. Furthermore, he gives you enough of the history of the US and Mexico to understand their respective positions and why they did what they did.

It's not merely that Mr. Myers gives you an entertaining historical context to this famous battle, he provides great historic
George
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: alamo
Certainly not the best book I have read on the subject.

Too much on the “ history” of the Mexicans and Spanish in NA and too little on the subject in the title....the Alamo

The only redeeming feature was it was well researched considering its 1948 publication
Wally
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
An astounding tale of real valor by real men that knowingly faced their certain destruction for a cause. Meticulously researched and well described this is a story that should be told to our children and grandchildren. What an incredible story!
P.S. Winn
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
One of the better stories of the Alamo and a look at history.
Erin
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Definitely worth a read. I loved it!
Tim Johnson
This book convinced me that the screwiness of Texas politics is nothing new. From the very beginning Texas was confused about whether it was part of the US via the Louisiana Purchase, or if it wanted to be its own independent republic, or if it wanted to stay part of Mexico.

It was surprising to me, having lived in Bexar county most of my life, just how many battles actually occurred here. I was also never aware of how Sam Houston, purportedly, wanted to blow the Alamo up. Then there's the fact
Theo Logos
May 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
John Myers Myers, in the last sentences of his book, The Alamo, perfectly captures the essence of what this story means to America. He writes, "The Alamo isn't a structure now; it is a symbol of valor in the minds of men. It can never fall again." Though he closes with that thought, it is obvious that he wrote this history with the knowledge that this particular event is just as important as myth as it is as history, and that it presents unique challenges to the historian to distinguish between ...more
Mark
Aug 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very decent history of the Alamo. Myers gives enough of the backstory to make it interesting. It is a conventional rendering but with good scholarship. He dose discuss Bowie's slave smuggling, over all gives very short shrift to an issue which did play a bigger part in the factors that led to the war with the Mexicans.
Jim Nirmaier
Oct 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Very informative historical account of the famous siege of The Alamo and the events leading up to the confrontation that changed the course of history for the Lone Star State and the United States. Central casitng could not have come up with a more colorful and compelling cast of characters than Jim Bowie, William Travis, Santa Anna, and Davy Crockett. Learned a lot!
Joe
Nov 04, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nice detail and history but a little on the dry side. I was hoping for a little more excitement from this book about the Alamo. We are talking about Jim Bowie, Davy Crockett and 183 against Santa Anna and his army of 5,500.
Terry
Jul 12, 2008 rated it liked it
This is an excellent historical book on a sentinel American historical event. The Alamo ultimately had a profound impact on what the USA ultimately became. I found many of the historical details rather fascinating. It is an excellent book.
James Wataba
Jan 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Read this as a kid for a 5th grade history project. Since then, I've been hooked on the story of the Alamo. Once every 4-7 years or so, I often find myself picking this up and reading it again.
Jeff Beland
Apr 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: good-ol-usofa
short but sweet history of the Alamo. A truly must read!
Don
Nov 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
Great story, told decently.
Thom Foxlee
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Creating the Mania: An Inside Look at How Wrestlemania Comes to Life
  • Crazy Horse and Custer
  • No Is a Four-Letter Word: How I Failed Spelling but Succeeded in Life
  • Bloody Jack (Bloody Jack, #1)
  • A General History of the Pyrates
  • The Man with No Face
  • Not Afraid: The Evolution of Eminem
  • Northlanders, Vol. 1: Sven the Returned
  • Stieg Larssons erfenis: Zijn jacht op de moordenaar van Olof Palme
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 13: Too Far Gone
  • Ghettoside: A True Story of Murder in America
  • The Shadow, Volume One: The Fire of Creation (The Shadow, #1)
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 12: Life Among Them
  • The Red Headed League (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, #2)
  • The Adventure of the Stock-Broker’s Clerk (Annotated)
  • The Adventure of the Copper Beeches (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, #12)
  • The Speckled Band
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 14: No Way Out
Myers was born and grew up on Long Island, New York. He attended the University of New Mexico briefly, but was expelled for being one of the writers in a rebel newspaper, The Pariah. After extensive travel through Europe and the United States, Myers worked for the New York World and San Antonio Evening News. He was also an advertising copywriter. Myers served a short term in the U.S. Army during ...more