Start by marking “Olinguito Speaks Up” as Want to Read:

Olinguito Speaks Up

Olinguito is a shy and furry animal that sucks his thumb all day long and hides in the treetops of the Ecuadorian cloud forest. No one in the whole world knows that he exists. Olinguito is too shy to let the other creatures know that he has been listening and watching them, and enjoying the tales told by Tomas, an ancient Galapagos tortoise. Tomas loves to tell fantastic s ...more
Published December 17th 2013 by Libros Publishing LLC

To ask other readers questions about Olinguito Speaks Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Olinguito Speaks Up

J.
I received an electronic reviewer's copy from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by this book, which I only found via the publisher's invite on Netgalley. I speak a little Spanish, and I really enjoyed the format of short pages in English, followed by the same text in Spanish--it seems like it would be enjoyable and helpful both for native Spanish speakers learning English, and vice versa. Sometimes, this format did mean that I lost t
Suzanne
Feb 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, ya-kid-lit
Olinguito resembles a stuffed animal with his round cheeks and his thumb always in his mouth, but there really is such an animal in the cloud forests of the High Andes. In this story he listens from his perch in the trees as the other animals talk. When he hears them teasing Tomas the turtle about the stories he tells, Olinguito come out of hiding to ask that Tomas continue his stories. Tomas tells of animals he knew in the Galapagos Islands, and others he has seen in his travels. Many of the an ...more
DelAnne Frazee
Title: Olinguito Speaks Up
Author: Cecilia Velastegui M. S. Ed.
Illustrator: Jade Fang
Publisher: Libros Publishing/Bookmasters, Inc.
Published: 12-17-2013
ISBN: 9780985176983
E-Book ASIN: B00HYELB58
Pages: 36
Genre: Children's Fiction
Tags: Fairy Talks, Folk Tales, Animals
Overall Rating: Great

Thomas is mocked by the other animals in Cloud Forest and told he talks to much, because he likes to tell stories of what he has seen and experienced through his life. Those who have heard his stories so not belie
zapkode
Mar 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
{my thoughts} – Olinguito is a really lovable animal that likes to hide and stay out of sight due to his shyness. He does however, come out of hiding and talk to Tomas a tortoise that likes to tell stories to all his forest friends. Tomas however, ins’t very liked for his story telling at first but once Olinguito gets him telling some stories all the other animals start to listen and like him. Tomas is an old tortoise and has many stories to tell for all his years he has been alive. However, he ...more
Andréa
Overall, Olinguito Speaks Up is a cute, bilingual picture book about some less well-known animals. (I don't actually read or speak Spanish, so I can't comment on the Spanish portion of the book.)

I was surprised at how much darker the interior illustrations seemed to be in comparison to the cover. That's not to say they're bad; they just weren't quite what I was expecting.

While I appreciated the information provided about some of the animals, I found it disconcerting that some animals were referr
Meagan
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
The pictures are what sold me on this story! I also like the bilingual English-Spanish element (though the designer in me found the different fonts distracting, although I suppose it added clarity that "yes, these are intentionally two different languages" - good for kids in particular).

"Olinguito Speaks Up" is a good way to introduce kids to foreign languages, environmental conservation, animals, the Galapagos, and more. Recommended for younger children and those learning either English or Span
Dolores
Apr 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: ntg-arc, azr
I have mixed feelings about this book. It felt a little disjointed to me. Every time Tomas told a story, it seemed to be left unfinished. Though, I guess, part of the storyline is that he is getting old and forgetful.

I liked the messages it conveyed...animal conservation and the fact that one should ALWAYS speak out against injustice; one small voice CAN make a difference.

Colors in the jungle are lush and vibrant and I loved the stunning illustrations. My students will delight in perusing this b
Beyond the Pages
Feb 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Olinguito Speaks Up was a wonderful book that was educationally rich and delightfully colorful. Filled with fun facts, English and Spanish words, and a resource listing, it creatively presented a story about animals, respect, finding one's voice, and the importance and value of history, as well as friendship.

I loved it!

Rating: 4/5
Recommend: Yes
Options: This book would be a great addition to any library. It would be a good tool to use to facilitate research.

This title was made available by the p
Maryam
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this book more. I really did. I think it's extremely interesting that this little mammal has just recently been discovered in the Ecuadoran cloud forest. However, for me, the conceit of having the Galapagos turtle tell his story in the middle of this story made for a plot that did not "flow," and an abrupt ending. Ultimately, I was disappointed that I could not recommend it for Luminarias this year.
Michelle
Jan 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: spanish-language
I was very excited to learn about this new animal, the Olinguito. Unfortunately, the book is about a tortoise telling a story to the Olinguito. What? Ah well.

The constructs seemed forced. The interactions between the animals were only there to keep the tortoise's story moving along. Not very convincing.

However, there was a lot of good information about the animals from the Galapagos Islands.
Stephanie
Feb 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is a wonderful story of a little creature on the Galapagos island, written in English and Spanish. The illustrations are beautiful. This book would be a great edition to any school library. It would especially be useful when teaching a unit about South America or animal species.
Theresa
Feb 07, 2014 rated it liked it
by Cecilia Velastegui
story of a Galapagos tortoise and his travels to the cloud forest of Ecuador. Bi-lingual book. look at a new animal discovered in the cloud forest some actual pictures of the animal good resource for classrooms on bi-lingual text.
Michelle
Mar 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, fiction
The story was engaging from start to finish, and the illustrations were simply gorgeous and sure to help hold a child's attention. Moreover, it's great to see a bilingual book at a slightly higher than beginner level. Great addition to your child's library!
Fungi From Yuggoth
Mar 21, 2014
Kevin
KB
Cecilia Velástegui
May 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Victoria
Divya
Dec 30, 2016
Pravin
Dec 30, 2016
Cecilia Velástegui was born high up in the Andes mountains in Quito, Ecuador, where she spent her childhood. Although she now lives at sea level in Monarch Beach, California, she still has two friendly alpacas, Tupac and Khipus. Cecilia was raised in California and France, and has traveled extensively in over 50 countries. Her favorite country is always the most recent country she visited.

She rece