Start by marking “The Practice of the Presence of God In Modern English” as Want to Read:
The Practice of the Presence of God In Modern English

The Practice of the Presence of God In Modern English

The Practice of the Presence of God in Modern English is modern translation of the timeless spiritual classic. Written over 300 years ago in French, The Practice of the Presence of God is here presented in language understandable to the twenty-first century English reader. Not a paraphrase or an abridgment, this version is a faithful rendering of the text in the spirit of ...more
Published October 16th 2013

Be the first to ask a question about The Practice of the Presence of God In Modern English

Start your review of The Practice of the Presence of God In Modern English
Doug
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: w-joan
This is a book I had attempted to read a long time ago but never finished. That’s a shame. It is a life-changing book!

The theme is simple, fully encapsulated in the title. The message is consistent with that theme. From a literature standpoint, perhaps it is even monotonous. But from an inspiration standpoint, the book stays faithful to one simple message throughout — we can and should cultivate a continual practice of being in God’s presence. Simple, but not easy.

The boo
Amy
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A book I have to read and re-read.
John Pannell
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Divine Presence

I have tried earnestly to read this spiritual classic in other translations and I found it quite difficult to understand. This modern English version makes it very clear and a relatively easy read. The practice of His Presence will however take a lifetime.
Dave Weiss
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So there was this guy in the 17th century who went off to war, came back injured and decided to change his life by going to the monastery. Without enough education to become a priest, he decided instead to serve by working in the kitchen and eventually as a cobbler. In the process he developed a relationship with God people are still reading about 500 years later. That's Brother Lawrence and this book, lovingly brought into modern English by Marshall Davis, is challenging and thought provoking. ...more
Angela
Apr 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
I felt the book had some excellent content but was often redundant. It is good historically but I am slightly disappointed that Brother Lawrence makes no mention of helping others or sharing his faith with others (than one person) in order to bear fruit.
He also makes the statement that the spiritual disciplines are unnecessary. This is a sweeping statement that could be damaging to new Christians who need to develop good spiritual habits.
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books that I have read many times and have several translations. When I heard that this was a simple, clear translation I had to check it out. The message is always powerful: we should try to live our lives with the awareness of God’s presence throughout the day. And when we fail, we should not be upset but merely try again as it takes time and patience to develop this practice. Blessings come from being in God’s presence throughout the day.
Cassandra Ewing
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Worth Reading

This book offers a lot of great and useful insight on the importance of practicing the presence of God. It is obvious that the material was written as a result of true experience in the Lord. It's not just common sense material that simply confirms what you already knew. It's more like an awakening to knowledge that has lived in the soul, but you didn't realize was there. Great resource that I know I'll be revisiting again and again.
Stacey Reid
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Stirs up a hunger for more of the Presence

I absolutely love how he communicates pursuing the Presence of God. To fall more deeply in love with the Creator is the best desire. ❤ I don’t agree with all that he had to say, but that sure doesn’t stop me from learning from his experiences!!
Kevin
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pretty cool. It's a clear translation of letters and such by this French monk, Brother Lawrence, from the 1600s. This is the first version of it I've read (so don't have any experience with the others), but I'm happy with this one.

Natacha Guyot
Aug 30, 2018 rated it liked it
It was interesting from a historical point of view, and I also enjoyed the parts of the text that discussed a love-based faith practice throughout the day. Yet I do not support the view of God as an abuser, with all the talk about how suffering is God's way of disciplining us / drawing us closer to him.
Kathy Vail
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is my second time reading this wonderful little book. We read it as a group at church. Each Sunday we would discuss. Much to think about, absorb, and implement. I love his word “practice “. We never master recognizing God’s presence in our lives all the time. Brother Lawrence tells us to just keep trying.
Gary
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book will be a continuing re-read.

I really enjoyed the format of this book. It was perfect for moments throughout my day. The wisdom provided throughout the book is to the point and yet has many available layers depending upon the reader’s own unique journey.
Liz Powell
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good translation!

Easy to understand translation that helps illuminate brother Lawrence's experience of the presence of God. I switched to this version half way through the original book and was much happier!
Nelida Benavides
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Precious book.

You must read it, it will change your life. I asked God to give me knowledge to a deeper relationship with Him and He brought me to this book. I’ll read it over and over.
ANGELA FORD
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love to learn

There is quite a bit to think about and practice to help us live in a higher communion with God. This book is a wonderful guide to help us achieve a new level with our maker.
john t. butler
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The unattainable presence of God, placed in my hands to read, as though God Himself penned it for only me.
Roxanne Holloway
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow

I'm left speechless and hushed after completing this book. How beautiful to glimpse what a full life for God looks like.
Bryan
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
KISS- Keep It Simple Stupid

Simple guidelines on how to constantly be in the presence of God. Easy quick read that will lead to, hopefully, lifelong application.
Andy Dessie
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good Reminder

Certain points were repetitive, but this is a good reminder to acknowledge God in all of our activities and planning.
Jim Rickard
Aug 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Pretty good book

I chose three stars for I didn't agree with all that was written and would stay away from some of his practices.
ger
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Superbly simple soteriology. A Christian, Tao, Zen Classic.
Karyn Keene
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good Translation

Great translation of this beautiful work. The English is accessible to those who don't have a background in medieval literature, yet doesn't lose the message of the original work.
Caleb Stober
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion
Amazing little book on being one with God
Chris
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Perfect Thoughts from Long Ago

This is the devotional with lessons everyone needs. With what is occurring now in the world, and obviously all through history, there is one power to sustain us. Every chapter has a moral which, even though written about 700 years ago, the world still needs today.
There were tornadoes all around this area last night but whatever happened was in Gods hands. No matter how evil this world can get, it is in Gods hands in the end.
Carol
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An excerpt

We should commit ourselves unceasingly to this one goal: that everything we do be little acts of communion with God. This must be natural and not artificial, coming from the purity and simplicity of the heart.
Phyllis Rummel
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hearing God

Enjoyed reading this, learning and understanding how a man of God worshiped God long ago. Kept God in his life in all things daily.
Claudia Sanabria
Dec 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Inspirational

I hace chosen this book because of my desire tho have more from God. It definitely is a must read if somewhere inside the soul there is a desire to be closer to him.
Christina
Jan 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Focused more towards those following a Holy Order

More focused to those who are or have become priests or nuns. Nice pieces of truth laypeople can apply to daily life.
Patricia A. Sjöberg
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Concise

Bro. Lawrence keeps his advice simple. Yet he warns the reader that the practice of the presence of God is not an easy thing to do. I plan to re-read this often.
Benjamin Barnes
Nov 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful.

All I have to say about this book is wow! This is one of the best Christian books that I have read!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Abandonment to Divine Providence
  • Treasure in Clay: The Autobiography of Fulton J. Sheen
  • Paul: A Biography
  • The Gift of Being Yourself: The Sacred Call to Self-Discovery
  • The Practice of the Presence of God
  • Spiritual Direction
  • The Universal Christ: How a Forgotten Reality Can Change Everything We See, Hope For and Believe
  • The Sin of Certainty: Why God Desires Our Trust More Than Our "Correct" Beliefs
  • Healthy Gut, Healthy You: The Personalized Plan to Transform Your Health from the Inside Out
  • Heartfelt Discipline: The Gentle Art of Training and Guiding Your Child
  • Boundaries in Marriage
  • Unconventional Medicine: Join the Revolution to Reinvent Healthcare, Reverse Chronic Disease, and Create a Practice You Love
  • Fat for Fuel: A Revolutionary Diet to Combat Cancer, Boost Brain Power, and Increase Your Energy
  • Introverts in the Church: Finding Our Place in an Extroverted Culture
  • Spring's Promises
  • MISSING IN THE ISLANDS (A MIDWEST COZY #9)
  • Half Court Press (Miami Jones Florida Mystery Series Book 11)
  • Your Four-Year-Old: Wild and Wonderful
“When he was troubled, he consulted no one. He knew by the light of faith that God was present, and he contented himself with directing all his actions to Him. He did everything with the intent to please God, and did not worry about consequences. “Useless thoughts spoil everything,” he said. All trouble began there. We ought to let go of such thoughts as soon as we are aware of them.” 2 likes
“All that is needed to bring us to union with God is love. He had pondered this subject much, and concluded that the shortest way to God was to go straight to Him by a continual exercise of love and doing everything for His sake.” 2 likes