Start by marking “Dan Poynter's Self-Publishing Manual, Volume 2: How to Write, Print and Sell Your Own Book” as Want to Read:

Book publishing is changing. The Self-Publishing Manual, Volume 2, the sequel to the best selling Self Publishing Manual describes how to use new techniques to write your book even faster, use new technology to publish it for less, and how to use social media for promotion.
Published March 25th 2009 by Para Publishing (first published February 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Dan Poynter's Self-Publishing Manual, Volume 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dan Poynter's Self-Publishing Manual, Volume 2

Start your review of Dan Poynter's Self-Publishing Manual, Volume 2: How to Write, Print and Sell Your Own Book
Mike Kowis
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has LOTS of practical tips for newbie authors / indie authors. However, it was written a while back and some of the advice is outdated (e.g., reference to myspace in the social media section) and several of the links no longer work. In any case, I still recommend this book for newbie authors as it has lots of great tips.

Another great book on the same subject that I recommend is "14 Steps to Self-Publishing a Book" by Mike Kowis, Esq. While it doesn't have as many marketing tips as the
Gwyneth E.R.
Extremely helpful. Provided many good pointers, and made me realize just how MUCH there is to it....
Carol Ghattas
Having already published several books, I wasn't sure how useful this recommended read would be, but I did find some good helps for myself, especially in the area of promotion.

This is a good resource for new or impending authors. Though dated, the basics are still very useful.
David Goodberg
I already read two different editions of the Self Publishing Manual and loved every minute of it. When I saw this book for sale, I bought it, no doubt in mind. It was a good read despite being a very quick read, but ultimately I was not thrilled with it. It was filled with good advice and tips, but much of the book overlaps with the regular manual. I don't know why he didn't just tack on the non-similar information into his regualr book - ti wouldn't add that much thickness.

For the most part, o
Michael Holley
Sep 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Dan Poynter's is the Godfather to the self-publishing world. If you ever even thought about writing your own book and/or self-publishing your book after writing this Dan's series of books are a must read. I recommend this book first to give you a good over view of the publishing world. I would have never or could have ever written my first book without Dan's help. Again, a must read for anyone who aspires to write his or her own book. Self-Publishing Manual, Volume II: How to Write, Print, and S ...more
Karl
Sep 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dan is THE self-publishing Guru - if you are self-publishing, get this book-I think this summarizes my views on this book; however, to add some verbiage, I will say that this book is filled with wisdom from MANY years in the industry and the links and resources Dan provides will save you hours of searching. Dan also provides LOADS of information and a newsletter, free of charge, on his website.

If you are looking to self-publish, do yourself a favor and get this book, and the others that Dan has
HealthCastleGlo
Jan 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It does have some good, unique information about self publishing and marketing. However, the formatting is pretty horrendous. It is hard to look for information and it feels like it's just a compilation of articles with different authors. I didn't read volume 1, and I have a feeling that would probably be a better read than this volume 2. ...more
David Katzman
Dec 13, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone looking for a quick overview of self-publishing
Shelves: about-publishing
Essentially a cliff-notes version of Volume 1. The "new media" highlights are nearly worthless. It does present a decent overview of the entire process if you are looking to get a quick peek into self-publishing. But if you are actually planning to self-publish, then this is a waste of your time. I get the feeling this was ghost written on Poynter's behalf. :-( ...more
Thomas
Dec 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WhenI found this most intriguing book, I later realized it has good information to publish my fantasy novels. I guarantee whoever wants to get published with their books is to use book. Thanks to Dan Poynter!
Aleshia Robinson
THIS BOOK WAS THROWN TOGETHER BY THE AUTHOR. WHILE VOLUME 1 WAS HELPFUL, THIS BOOK IS PRETTY MUCH PAGES OF LISTS AND LINKS. ALL OF WHICH HELPFUL BUT BUY THIS ONLY IF YOU WANT A MORE OF A RESOURCE GUIDE AS OPPOSED TO A HOW TO GUIDE.
Tamela Rich
Mar 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: publishing
It's time to update this book, but it's a great resource. I am a big-picture person who doesn't usually sweat (or sometimes even notice) the details, but sometimes I was distracted by the quirky way the ebook rendered on my screen. ...more
Mark Polino
May 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, 2010
Dan Poynter's Self Publishing Manual, Volume 2 provide some useful self publishing advice if you've done no research and don't have a clue. If you've started researching self publishing a book, then the big benefit to this volume are the lists of resources embedded in this small volume. ...more
Evan
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dan Poynter does an outstanding job of breaking down the complex aspects of self-publishing into a useful, succinct, play by play manual. I found this book insightful and the ideas easy to implement.
Carole  Crosby
Jun 05, 2011 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This edition of Self Publishing Manual is way more up-to-date, so I am finding it far more relevant in my research for my work.
Emmanuel Donkor
Apr 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like the volume 2, this one does not disappoint. Full of good advice for anyone thinking of going solo.
Kitty Bucholtz
Jul 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful information and links. A good addition to Volume 1. Lots of information for nonfiction writers, and much of it can be applied to fiction writers, too.
Salem Lorot
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writer-s-craft
The second volume builds up on helpful suggestions on self-publishing. I am implementing them. I will share my experiences on what works and doesn't for me. ...more
Daniel Wieser
Out of date information.
Would not advise to read for SP
Andrew Hunkins
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Has some great resource material but the format is sloppy, as if the author did not follow his own advice.
kathie
May 08, 2016
Sonya
Aug 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Hook 'Em In Ten! (Screenwriting Blue Books Book 6)
  • Women Who Risk: Secret Agents for Jesus in the Muslim World
  • Where Do We Go from Here:  Chaos or Community?
  • The Harbinger: The Ancient Mystery that Holds the Secret of America's Future
  • The Life You Long for: Learning to Live from a Heart of Rest
  • 5 Secrets of Story Structure: How to Write a Novel That Stands Out
  • Drawing on the Artist Within
  • Visual Storytelling (Screenwriting Blue Books)
  • Scriptshadow Secrets (500 Screenwriting Secrets Hidden Inside 50 Great Movies)
  • Complete Creative Writing Course
  • Screenwriting Down to the Atoms: Digging Deeper into the Craft of Cinematic Storytelling
  • Get Started in: Writing Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • Structuring Your Novel Workbook: Hands-On Help for Building Strong and Successful Stories
  • The Harbinger II: The Return
  • The Strange Death of Europe: Immigration, Identity, Islam
  • Chance or the Dance? A Critique of Modern Secularism
  • Humility: The Journey Toward Holiness
  • Fish Out of Water: A Search for the Meaning of Life
Since 1969, Dan Poynter has written and published more than 100 books including Writing Nonfiction, The Self-Publishing Manual, and The Skydiver's Handbook.

Dan Poynter's seminars have been featured on CNN, his books have been pictured in The Wall Street Journal, and his story has been told in U.S. News & World Report. The media comes to Dan because he is the leading authority on book publishing.

D