Start by marking “Council of Peacocks (Activation #1)” as Want to Read:
Council of Peacocks (Activation #1)

Council of Peacocks

(Activation #1)

There is a dark world, hidden in plain sight, filled with vengeful djinn and shadowy demons. The Council of Peacocks, a group of ruthless wizards, has plans for the human race.

For centuries they have plotted and schemed. Now, the moment of Activation draws near.

Wisdom, an immortal sorcerer, has gathered a band of hybrid youths with extraordinary powers. They are tr

Kindle Edition, 1, 3359 pages
Published July 7th 2013 by Council of Peacocks Press

To ask other readers questions about Council of Peacocks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Council of Peacocks

Watchmen by Alan MooreSoon I Will Be Invincible by Austin GrossmanThe Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael ChabonBatman by Frank MillerHero by Perry    Moore
Superhero Fiction
727 books — 1,165 voters
Soon I Will Be Invincible by Austin GrossmanHero by Perry    MooreSteelheart by Brandon SandersonWild Cards by George R.R. MartinKingdom of Heroes by Jay  Phillips
Super Hero Books
281 books — 276 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Council of Peacocks (Activation #1)
Travis Luedke
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Paranormal Thriller Baddassary!!

I read this book twice over, as a beta ~ critique reader. The thriller intensity sucked me in, hook, line and sinker. My inner scifi/paranormal/horror geek was thoroughly satisfied.

This is precisely the kind of book I enjoy reading. It hits all the buttons: Epic battles, epic moments of self-discovery, epic tales of heroes and villains, and of course there's loads of angst ridden teenagers with badass paranormal/psychokinesis abilities, trying to find their way th
Christoph Fischer
Jan 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"Council of Peacocks (Activation)" by M. Joseph Murphy is a highly entertaining and clever paranormal thriller.
It is a fun read with some unexpected depth. Set between Canada and Greece it involves amongst other great ingredients time travel, djinns and wizzards.

While out camping a group of six youngsters get attacked and run from what appears clearly not human creatures.
As they are on the run we learn more about how they link to a much bigger picture.

The Council of Peacocks, a group of ruthle
M. Joseph Murphy
Jul 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Since I'm not going to review my own book, I decided, instead, to add the acknowledgements from Council of Peacocks.

Last year, if you’d asked me, I would have told you writing was a lonely, solitary activity. Now I know better.

First, a thank you to my beta readers: James Marentette, Rob Welch, Bronwyn Cair, Stephanie Parent, Craig McGray and Carey Heywood.

To Charles Ekeke a special thanks for being my harshest critic. You forced me to look at some of the largest weak spots in Council of Peacocks
Tiffany
Aug 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Council of Peacocks has it all, epic battles, conspiracy theories, romance, and a great story line. The first page will suck you into a complex and unpredictable, page-turning plot. Upon meeting the main character, Wisdom, immediately you feel the power and pain behind that power. Wisdom is an immortal that is traveling through time to make a future that he is happy with. His former protégé, Propates, is up to something dark and destructive and Wisdom will do anything that it takes to stop h ...more
Louise K.
Jul 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book begins as we meet to two very powerful characters on opposite sides of the conflict for Earth; Propates and Wisdom. Propates works within the Council of Peacocks, a group of practitioners of arcane powers, forcing the evolution of humans through a process he calls Eyeness, aiming to change the world. Wisdom, with his Djinn abilities, wants to prevent the council from succeeding in their plans and destroying the world as we know it.

We meet several Anomalies; people with EFHB’s, (Extraord
Drako
Jul 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting beginning to a series. Wisdom is a special kind of witty and jaded person because he's been alive for far too long. Like any immortal, he makes his share of mistakes over his very long lifetime. But he's insanely powerful, strong enough to overpower his father, a powerful Djinn.

Over the years Wisdom has made plenty of friends and enemies, and the lines can be blurred with both. Echo is a woman he took by force and made into an immortal, but he clearly has strong feelings
S Parent
Aug 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I beta read this book. It's thrilling, original, and filled with a dizzying (in a good way!) array of references to different mythologies and cultures.
L.A. Johannesson
Nov 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While this is not a genre I usually read, I was surprised by how engaging I found this story. Murphy has a tremendous imagination, a colourful vocabulary and has created an ensemble of equally colourful characters.

The pace of the story moved well and there were no real gaps in logic which can be challenging for me when reading the fantasy genre.

While it's a shade or two darker than my usual read, it's also very human and relatable. I found myself cheering for good over evil, rooting for the he
Sarah Morvay
Aug 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had me sucked in by the first page. I loved that the whole thing read like I was watching a movie. The descriptions were adequate enough for me to form a good picture of the characters and their actions in my head, but not so much that I became bored and lost the flow of the story. I found the story thrilling and the characters interesting. Looking forward to the next book in the series.
Dawn
Sep 29, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and very likeable characters. Fast paced exciting read. Enjoyed it far more than I expected since I'm not a true sci-fi gal. Very glad I read it and even more so that I had the chance to meet and discuss the book and his ideas with this very interesting author.
Mary Blakney
Jul 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Superman & Spiderman fans, paranormal fans
This is a fun, fast-paced paranormal fantasy with an action-comic feel.
Simon Okill
Council of Peacocks (Activation #1) by M. Joseph Murphy is an epic dark fantasy thriller full of nasty Djinns, Wizards, paranormal creatures and a wise sorcerer. I love the references to ancient Greek culture which gives this book a historical paranormal leaning that I found fascinating.
There is a dark world, hidden in plain sight, filled with vengeful djinn and shadowy demons. The Council of Peacocks, a group of ruthless wizards, controlled by the ruthless Propates, has dire plans for the human
Jim Roberts
May 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
With M Joseph Murphy's captivating, though challenging (and perhaps even a bit tedious) book, we have a true and utter original. Really, there is nothing else I can compare this book to and I can run out of verbs trying to describe it. The "Council of Peacocks" as the title refers to, are a group of mages (or wizards) engaged in a battle of monumental proportions with a chap named 'Wisdom' and his group of pals, the Anomolies.

One of the other reviews compared the book to X-men meets Clash of th
Shih-tzus Happens
Mar 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Oh what a great book. It has demons and creatures everywhere. This book is fast paced and never dual moment page after page. This Author can become one of my favorites real fast. Love his choice of names for his charters they are different and spot on. Will the evil prevail in this book or can the good guys win? And who and what are the good guys exactly?
The description of the different places and worlds is so well laid out it is as if you were there taking it all in. You will love his attentio
Michele
Feb 10, 2015 rated it liked it
A whirlwind of motion, this book follows the machinations of supernatural Titans as they battle for world domination. Caught in the crossfire are a group of gifted humans.

It was difficult to really like any of the characters. Most were blindly focused on mutual annihilation to the exclusion of all else.
Colleen
Although not the normal genre that I read, I enjoyed this book. It reads like a graphic novel and is very descriptive. It has a little bit of everything, wizards, epic battles, time/portal jumping, and even a little romance.
Melissa
May 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Mr. Murphy is a heck of a writer. I loved this book. A book you need to experience a page at a time. I found a new favorite author. Thank you Mr. Murphy.

Nicely done!
Emma
Oct 15, 2014
Pete
Jul 15, 2014
Joseph Murphy was born and raised in Ontario, Canada. He earned his geekdom at an early age. He read X-Men comics from at the age of 8 and it only went downhill from there.

As a teenager he wrote short stories and wanted to be the next Stephen King. Instead of horror, however, he kept writing fantasy stories. After surviving high school as a goth with a purple mohawk, he studied English and Creativ

Activation (2 books)