Start by marking “The Griffin's Boy (The Griffin Riders' Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Griffin's Boy (The Griffin Riders' Chronicles, #1)

The Griffin's Boy

(The Griffin Riders' Chronicles #1)

In an alternative universe Britain remains an island of mists, populated by Celtic tribes and governed by feudal hierarchy. Evolution has taken a different path and mythical beasts exist. Only noblemen's sons are recruited into an elite troop known as the Griffin Riders. The best a nameless nobody like Neb can hope for is to become the equivalent of a stable lad.
But then
Published December 11th 2013 by Talon Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Griffin's Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Griffin's Boy

Adriana Dungan
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun and unique read

This book presented a unique take on mythology. It was a well paced and fun time throughout the book. It completes a story well but leaves enough for the series to continue.
Susan Anderson
Jan 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I lost myself in The Griffin's Boy by Julia Hughes. It is a fascinating story for readers of all ages where there are adventures and strange wonders on every page. The author transports us once again to Ella-Earth, a parallel universe where evolution has taken a different course and Britain remains an island clothed in mist. The date is unspecified, a time of yellow fields and thatched roofs, of griffins and griffin masters where evil villains lurk in unusual places.

The Griffin’s Boy is a comin
Rebecca Foster
Jul 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
The world was both vibrant and dark, dependent upon the given situation, and the environment felt true. Hughes didn't just create a world... she lived it.

But that's not all!

From minor characters that only spoke a few lines to those of prominence, every single person within this ebook was three dimensional. They had flaws and perfections, fears and dreams. Hughes didn't cut any corners. Even the griffins within the pages had individual personalities.

I was transfixed.

I started and finished The Gri
Cathrine
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Neb and Balkind

Neb wants to be a Griffin rider but is just a Griffin boy, someone who looks after the Griffins. Balkind, a gryffant, is chosen to be trained with the Griffin riders, but Bites his rider and is left behind. Neb, not wanting Balkind to be left behind, mounts up and follows the riders. Before he catches up with the others he is waylaid by a group of people if I can down and want him to rescue a young boy who has fallen down a sink hole that has opened in the river bed. This is only
Tanya
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful tale

He wanted to be a Griffin rider but would he be allowed? Follow his adventures to see if his Griffin and him have what it takes to a part of the Griffin riders.
Davidl Campbell'Sr
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Love It!!

finally read a story that put you into the adventure with the excitement and the romance without it taking hours. what comes next I don't know but this story I enjoyed
Deborah Klein
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
I liked the main character, but the story gets more and more confusing as it progresses. The writer greatly needs the help of a good editor.
Jessica Roe
Aug 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Griffin's Rider is an utterly enchanting read set in an alternative Britain about Neb, a peasant boy so lowly that he doesn't even have a real name, and the adventure he shares with the cheeky, disobedient griffin, Balkind, not to mention the trouble they get themselves into.

When Balkind's rider is unable to control him, Griffin Master Romulus unfairly leaves the griffin behind, and so Neb takes it upon himself to ride Balkind himself because he knows they both deserve a chance. Along the w
Doreen
For all who, like me, enjoy electrifying, mind-gripping stories, THE GRIFFIN’S BOY reverberates with excitement from beginning to end. This other-worldly fantasy about a fierce yet lovable griffin and his spirited young rider offers a heart-pounding adventure amidst feudalistic squabbles and evil doings by a sorcerer and demons. A sense of young, budding romance adds a sweet tone to the story.

THE GRIFFIN’S BOY is chockablock full of emotion-charging and intellectually stimulating scenes. There
Rabid Readers Reviews
Mar 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
There is a keen sense of life not being fair in the “The Griffin’s Boy.” There is desperation of circumstance that may be familiar to some readers. The Griffin Riders are children born into their elite circle. They don’t earn a place by skill or work but by the noble bearing of the family into which they’re born. Neb’s ambition seems hopeless if not a bit silly at the start of the work and therein lays the brilliance. Neb aspires in a way that will translate to young readers and succeed or fail, ...more
Intisar Khanani
Apr 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: indie-authors
I actually read this series out of sequence--for some reason, I thought "Griffin's Cryer" was Book 1, and frankly you can read it perfectly well without having read Book 1 (for which the author has my undying thanks!). I enjoyed Griffin's Cryer, and when I realized at the end of the book that the character known as Griffin's Rider had his own story--here--I snatched it up for free.

Sadly, I wasn't as happy with this book as I was with Book 2. The writing is decent, the pacing lags a bit here and
Rosie Amber
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Having previously read the Griffin Cryer, I was delighted to be able to read The Griffin's Boy, a companion book which tells us the story behind the Griffin Rider. Balkind is a young Griffin selected for special training, but a mishap with one of the new recruits put his training chances at risk. Neb is that boy who grooms the Griffins and he is determined to help Balkind.

Disobeying orders, Neb and Balkind set off to follow Griffin Master Romulus, but on the way they end up making a daring rescu
Angie Martin
Jan 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
**I received a free copy of the book from the editor in exchange for my fair and honest review**

"The Griffin's Boy" by Julia Hughes is part of the Griffin Riders' Chronicles. Although it is the second book, it is written in such a manner that it can stand alone. This fantasy book is wonderful for any lover of the genre. It is full of hope and wonder and brought me a feeling of childlike fascination. Neb (aka, the nameless boy) is such a great main character. I found myself rooting for him from p
Shelly Hammond
Aug 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Griffin's Boy is an excellent story for the young and not so young alike. I notice a lot of reviewers are saying that very same thing, but it's just so true! This isn't one you want to pass up!

The story has a beautifully designed fantasy world that is similar, yet different, from the world we live in and know. The characters have great depth and each and every one of them has very distinct personalities. In other words, the author did an excellent job and the characters within the pages are
A.K. Michaels
Jun 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I've not read any stories with Griffins in them before and I have to say - I wonder why not - as it was enchanting and magical. I want one! I loved Balkind, Neb and Samara and the grumpy Griffin Master, Romulus! The story kept me entertained from start to finish and I read it in two sittings, if I'd had the time I would've done it in one but alas I didn't. Neb's character is easy to love and I sincerely hope his life improves now he's got his own Griffin tho I think Balkind will take him on some ...more
Eric Neill
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This was much better than I expected.

I was looking for a simple storied book to fill some down time without demanding I pay close attention as I waited impatiently for my wife to finish her many appointments that I have to take her to and wait indefinitely.

This book did meet my simple story with few characters to keep straight due to the random reading opportunities I deal with, but it did a great job of filling the story framework with both necessary detail and relevant description of the
Todd
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great read

Well written and a great read.
I recommend to all who enjoy new concepts of fantasy. I hope you like it as much as I did.
Monica Porta
Mar 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved The Griffin Cryer and the character of Frankie, and I equally loved Neb’s story. I am a great fan of dedicated point of views in books, and I like when an author writes companion stories to let the readers explore more of one character. Neb was already lovable in The Griffin Cryer, but in The Griffin’s Boy we discover how painful his journey to become a rider was. I loved the world building, the secondary characters, and the pace of the story. I especially like how Ms. Hughes mixes fanta ...more
Emmy
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
An astonishing new world with incredible characters touching on the complexities of young adolescent relationships.

It drags periodically, but not to the point interest is lost.

I loved the flight scenes with the griffin ... erm gryffant? Idk the difference...
Julie Powell
Mar 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was given this book for review and found it a good fantasy adventure with lessons on 'you can do it, regardless of your station in life' - albeit a fantasy life where orphan, Neb, dreams of becoming a griffin rider.

Read this well written story and see if he manages to fulfill his dream and the many obstacles in his way.

Recommended.
Amanda Kern
Feb 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book

I read the Griffin fryer first. it was a little confusing. then I read this one. it is awesome. we still do not much about the main character. I want to to know more about him and his Griffin. I will be watching out for new books.
Lanelle
Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: loanable
I thought the story was going well until about the middle of the book, and then it seemed to change direction. And then it got weird.

Overall, an okay read. I'm not sure if I'll buy the sequel, though.
Bill Tillman
Griffin Riders Chronicles

Would, wo, wo, what a great adventure! Neb turns out to be a great fit for a reluctant hero. And the strong minded Griffin an equal sidekick. Non stop action, suspense and danger till the very last page. Hard to put down.
Pat Armstrong
Mar 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Quick read.. predictable
Pam Bales
Jan 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This was a good fantasy read. It's a good read for all and okay for middle school and up..
P. Reads
Jun 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Review to follow...
Jan
Jun 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
A fantasy that would definitely appeal to the middle school age group (and adults that would secretly like to fly on a griffin).
Feb 13, 2017
laurie moore
Dec 28, 2016
Velvetsky
Apr 02, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Dragoneers (The Chronicles of Susah, #1)
  • Guardian's Rise (The Sons of Masguard, #2)
  • Dragon Killer (Reckoning of Dragons #1)
  • Of the Persecuted (Legends of the Woodlands, #1)
  • The Curse of the Thrax (Bloodsword Trilogy, Book 1)
  • Sentinel (Sentinel Trilogy, #1)
  • Haunted Tree (The Magus Family Chronicles, #1)
  • The Dragon Lantern (The League of Seven, #2)
  • Dragon Fire
  • Reader and Educator Guide to "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings"
  • Mason McQueen and the Gargoyle's Curse (book 1)
  • Anni Moon & The Elemental Artifact
  • Behold the Dawn
  • Quest for Celestia: A Reimagining of the Pilgrim's Progress
  • Song of the Mountain (Mountain Trilogy, #1)
  • The Serpent Kings
  • Out of This World
  • Angels All Around Us: A Sightseeing Guide to the Invisible World
Quick update! The new DI Crombie title is out: "Everybody Lies" can be downloaded exclusively from Amazon, for the special early bird price of 99p. Or download an excerpt right here, from Goodreads - just navigate to the book title.
An additional Christmas bonus!
Crombie's Christmas will be free to download from Amazon from 23 Dec - 27th December.

Author of The Celtic Cousins' Adventures: (A Rauco