Start by marking “Jeremy Poldark (Poldark, #3)” as Want to Read:
Jeremy Poldark (Poldark, #3)

Jeremy Poldark

(The Poldark Saga #3)

Cornwall, 1790. Ross Poldark faces the darkest hour of his life. He is to stand trial for the wrecking of two ships. Despite their stormy married life, Demelza has tried to rally support for her husband. But Ross Poldark has many powerful enemies.
Published March 1st 1996 by MacMillan UK (first published 1950)

To ask other readers questions about Jeremy Poldark, please sign up.
Rhea Courtney It shift stems from a couple of things. Primary is Julias death. Both are handling it separately as opposed to discussing their feelings. Then the tri…moreIt shift stems from a couple of things. Primary is Julias death. Both are handling it separately as opposed to discussing their feelings. Then the trial and money issues come into play. Ross not talking to Demelza about things leads to assumptions. Like not wanting another child. Or Demelza thinking Ross is interested in Elizabeth again. He questions her actions while he was in jail and on trial. Just a lot of disconnection due to pride and stubbornness.(less)
Sandra Visser Please, does someone have this edition? It should say on the back who the actor is who's picture is on the cover (for example says on the back of Deme…morePlease, does someone have this edition? It should say on the back who the actor is who's picture is on the cover (for example says on the back of Demelza that it's Eleanor Tomlinson). That might give us a clue who it's supposed to be. I agree that it's weird since he's still a child and it seems the publishers agreed as subsequent editions either have just a ship or Eleanor and Aidan Turner. But I'd really like to solve this mystery! Can't find anything on the internet. (less)

Start your review of Jeremy Poldark (Poldark, #3)
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I loved being back in this world!

As always, there is struggle and strife and Ross always in trouble. But it's mostly always for the good!

Demelza is wonderful as ever and strong in her way. And dear sweet Verity. I would love them both as friends ❤️

And now we have a new edition. But what new troubles await the Poldark's!

Wonderful series so far!

Happy Reading!

Mel 🖤🐺
Jaline
This novel illustrates yet again the cinematic quality of Winston Graham’s writing. The vivid descriptions, the turmoil and troubles of the characters, how their surroundings and their circumstances colour their lives and perceptions – for me, it was truly like watching a movie. Although I have not yet watched any of the specials that have been filmed based on these novels, I can only imagine how easy the film-makers’ task must have been thanks to Mr. Graham’s visual writing. The most difficult ...more
``Laurie Henderson
I found the third book in the Poldark series as enthralling as ever and I highly recommend this series. Can't wait for the PBS miniseries "Poldark" to begin at the end of June either.

Ross and Demelza are experiencing tough financial times thanks to George Warleggan and cousin Francis. Will Ross lose everything he owns to the rapacious George Warleggan? Can't wait to read the next book "Warleggan" to find out.

I'm beginning to strongly dislike Elizabeth who doesn't seem to be able to appreciate
Candi
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"It isn’t where you’re born in this world, it’s what you do."

If you’ve read my reviews of both Ross Poldark and Demelza, then you might be thinking here we go again… Candi’s set to get all fangirlish on us! Yep, you’re probably right! Jeremy Poldark is the third in this splendid series and just as riveting as the first two. In this one, the futures of some of my beloved characters are threatened, and I was worried indeed. Ross is faced with a dilemma and his thought process in determining the ri
Linda
Oct 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"He realized that all the struggle and anxiety of the next few months would not be his alone. She would bear her share of the burden. She was bearing it now."

Within the pages of Winston Graham's Book 3 of the Poldark Series, we come to see the strength and determination of the slight waif who won the heart of Ross Poldark......Demelza. An unlikely young girl who would become his wife. An unlikely frail figure who would cast a giant shadow on things to come.

Ross Poldark, who returned to his famil
Zoi
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've just finished the first three of the Poldark novels.

I'd never have considered reading them if I'd not had the opportunity to read the first one for free on kindle, mainly because I shy away from romance-novels-made-into-a-long-running-TV-series.

Pity that.

Winston Graham wrote the first four novels as a series in the 1950's, and then returned to them in the 1970's and wrote another five.

I've read the first three only, because the fourth is not available on Kindle. I will seek it out at th
Sara
The third book in the Poldark series. The farther into the series I go the deeper my feelings become for these marvelous characters. Demelza Poldark is one of the most finely drawn, enthralling women ever put to paper. She has become the heart of the books for me, and I feel that Winston Graham must have felt the same. She is open and honest and leads with her heart, and she puts the gentry to shame.

In this book we become better acquainted with Dwight Enys, a doctor ahead of his time, who feels
Samantha
Apr 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this riveting third book, Ross must face trial for the actions he took following the death of his infant daughter. The feud with the Warleggans threatens the entire community and the relationship with his cousin Francis remains strained. It is then that his wife Demelza makes an announcement that changes their lives in unexpected ways and offers a glimmer of hope for the family's future.
Ken
Jun 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m not sure if my introduction to the Poldark saga through the recent BBC adaptation means that these novels feel very episodic, but I found that I was quite content to read just a couple of chapters a day.

I’m used to these books being slow with this volume only just covering the next two years (1790-91) after the previous book.
As this is a continuation I won’t mention any plot points for spoilers, but I liked how Demelza handles the current situation.
She is becoming my favourite character of t
Diane Barnes
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The title of this book is a little misleading, given that Jeremy Poldark isn't even born until the last few pages, but that's a minor quibble. I enjoyed the third installment of this series just as much as one and two, and look forward to the next nine books. It's a source of comfort to know I can return to this corner of the world and these people I have come to love and appreciate. Good historical fiction always impresses upon me the fact that no matter how long ago or how far away, people rea ...more
Mary Durrant
Sep 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this even more for re-reading.
I would encourage others to read as there is far more in the book.
Loved the original series and had Robin and Angharad my mind as I read.
Had a walk around the coastal path yesterday with the dramatic music from that series also.
Very atmospheric!
debbicat
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series is simply amazing! This is the third book in the Poldark series. After a horrific tragedy in book 2, Ross is angry and fragmented. In his pain he does something that will bring him to trial later on. Demelza by his side - loving, supportive, unselfish...stands up for him at all costs.

These are some of the best written characters out there. A highly enjoyable read. I am reading this series as part of a buddy read. Most of my "buddies" are ahead of me, as I joined late. But, oh the di
QNPoohBear
(Goldilocks Reads) Jenna Vahue
Jeremy Poldark was very similar to the seaside town of Cornwall where it takes place: turbulent, complex infrastructures, and it was breathtaking. Considering the first half of the novel presides over a court case, I was surprisingly intrigued by the whole ordeal. I thought I would have been bored, but a small town filled with my favorite Poldark characters holds plenty of charm for me. Everyone was scattered around the village and it could have been a party despite the dire circumstances.

There
KOMET
Aug 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
It has been a long while since I've read a novel which has both excited and dazzled me in the way that this one has. As a writer, Winston Graham paints pictures with prose the way Michelangelo did with his palette. Not a word is wasted, evoking images of the windswept landscape of Southwest England abutting the ocean sea that is Cornwall, dotted here and there with a smattering of landed estates, villages, inns, mines, coves, and houses of varying kinds.

It is August 1790 and Ross Poldark finds h
Piper
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2016
Another fabulous installment in this Poldark saga that I am LOVING!!! On to book number four!!
Rebecca Huston
Third in the Poldark saga, this is one that resolves the final twist that occurs at the end of the novel Demelza. The first half of the novel is taken up with Ross' impending trial for disturbing the peace, striking an officer, and other assorted bits of mayhem. Ross for his part has turned dark and sullen, especially as if he is found guilty, he could quite well be executed. Demelza, his wife, is mourning the death of their daughter Julia, and is trying hard to keep Ross in line, and find a way ...more
Piper
Aug 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016, re-read
5 FABULOUS SECOND TIME AROUND STARS!!

Not by a hairbreadth would a single external circumstance move to accommodate him and his schemes—he knew that. As well ask, on the butterfly's behalf, for the postponement of sunset or tomorrow's gale.

Her face was preoccupied, thoughtful, intent, but not on what she was doing. He realized that all the struggle and anxiety of the next few months would not be his alone. She would bear her share of the burden. She was bearing it already.

He went to join her.

On
Tasha
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm giving this 3.5-4 stars. I thought there were some really good scenes and descriptions in this one but I am not head over heals for this series. I am looking forward though to seeing where this story goes and meeting up again with the characters.
Sotiris Karaiskos
In the third book in the series, Ross has problems with justice and is called upon to solve them in the midst of parliamentary elections, which of course makes things more complicated or, at least, too complicated to be able to do anything about them his beloved wife. This development gives the writer an opportunity to comment on these rather problematic institutions at that time. The end of this adventure marks for our protagonists the beginning of a long process of reconciliation with the past ...more
Emma
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
4 stars.

I love this series so much, the depth of the characters is amazing. All floored, all just trying to make life in a troubled time.
I. Love. Period. Dramas.
Francis is a lil bitch who loves his sis in law Demelza their brotp is almost as iconic as Demelza’s and Dwight’s! 😍💃
Lisazj1
4.5 stars. Loved the continuing saga, of Ross and Demelza and all the other lives that make up their story! Though I'm reeeeally not happy about what I see coming a mile away. (view spoiler) ...more
Maryanne
May 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Still obsessed with the Poldarks. If you haven't yet, do watch the BBC (2015). But advise DONT read Poldarks' Cornwall before you have read all the books - its FULL of spoilers for the whole series!
Bonnie
Aug 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-books-read
"Maybe it’s because I’m just of common stock, but I want the home about me: candles burning, curtains drawn, warmth, tea, friendship, love. Those are what matter to me."

Alright, this is possibly my favorite one yet. In the third book of the Poldark series, Graham changed the creation of his incredible, atmospheric setting away from the overwhelming, sweeping landscape of Nampara and brought us down to the small details in each scene - the rain falling, smoke curling, smells and sounds that reall
Aleya
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It has taken nearly a month to finish this book. These books take me a while to get through because it's so dense. Graham does a great job getting the language of the time down and keeping up the tension. I really enjoyed getting to read this one and notice the differences between the book and the show. I still really enjoy both book and TV show. Can't wait to get into book 4! After I finish that one I'll be past the content in the shows and in new territory.
Laura Tenfingers
I inhaled this book. It seemed a bit quicker and more to the point than the first two. Ross is up to no good again but of course, for very principled reasons. A few dramas and their conclusions, and a new favourite, Caroline Penvenen. Loved her. The communication breakdown between Demelza and Ross is causing me angst. And of course (view spoiler)

Lots a fun and definitely off to dive into the next one.
Lauren Stoolfire
This series is so addicting! Bring on book four!
Shelli
Nobody could have convinced me prior to August 30th 2017 that I would be HOOKED on this series! Seriously...even though I had added the first one to my TBR and have been hearing about the new series on PBS, I wasn't in any hurry to get started. I have plenty of books I want to get to. Plus....who wants to start something with 12 books? I surely didn't think I wanted to. Well, that was me then....almost a month ago. NOW? There are ONLY 12 books? What? I'm already on #6!!!! I MUST slow down! What ...more
Edwina " I LoveBooks" "Deb"
WRONG TITLE FOR BOOK!! IT SHOULD BE TRAIL OF ROSS POLDARK!!

Jeremy Poldark is another well written story in the continuing Saga of the Poldark family. The story picks with Ross Poldark on trial by the Crown for attacking and causing the raid of two washed up ships and the stealing of its it contents. The trail takes up 50% of the story. It is well written and interesting, but it was just to much to keep track of. We find Ross in a state of depression at the loss of his baby daughter Julia and a b
Tanya
Aug 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Winston Graham once again highlights the plight of the poor in 1790's Cornwall, first through Ross and then through Dr. Dwight Enys. As Ross must focus more of his energy on his trial and then his own financial problems, it is Dwight that seeks to become the champion of the lower classes. An argument between Dwight and the alluring Caroline Penvenen, written as historical fiction in 1950, sounds similar to arguments about income inequality taking place in the 21st Century. It doesn't matter that ...more
Madison Mega-Mara...: #154 Jeremy Poldark by Winston Graham 1 2 Dec 10, 2017 07:36PM
Poldark Saga - Wi...: Reviews 5 42 Apr 17, 2017 10:04AM
Poldark Saga - Wi...: Favorites 9 45 Mar 19, 2016 11:05AM
Poldark Saga Discussion Group 1 2 Dec 31, 2015 03:08PM
Poldark Saga - Wi...: Synopsis and Major Events-SPOILERS! 4 86 Nov 25, 2015 03:31PM
Poldark Saga discussion group 1 11 Nov 24, 2015 12:03PM

• The World of Poldark
  • The Young Victoria
  • Winston Graham Reading Order and Checklist: The guide to the Poldark books and all standalone novels by Winston Graham
  • Desperate Romantics: The Private Lives Of The Pre Raphaelites
  • The Game with Minutes
  • Nowolipie. Najpiękniejsze lata
  • Todos os Sonhos do Mundo
  • Wybór opowiadań
  • Louisa May Alcott's Christmas Treasury
  • Pukija (Syrjästäkatsojan tarinoita #8)
  • 28 Grams
  • Gli eroi perduti. Il ritorno del mare
  • Gli eroi perduti. Le mura di Cartavel
  • La loba blanca
  • O Signo de Afrodite (Memoirs of Cleopatra #2)
  • Reckless (Age of Conquest, #5)
  • A Pretty Deceit (Verity Kent #4)
  • Millennio di fuoco: Raivo (Millennio di fuoco, #2)
Winston Graham was the author of forty novels. His books have been widely translated and the Poldark series has been developed into two television series, shown in 22 countries. Six of Winston Graham's books have been filmed for the big screen, the most notable being Marnie, directed by Alfred Hitchcock. Winston Graham was a Fellow of the Royal Society of Literature (FRSL) and in 1983 was invested ...more

The Poldark Saga (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Ross Poldark (Poldark #1)
  • Demelza (Poldark, #2)
  • Warleggan (Poldark, #4)
  • The Black Moon (Poldark, #5)
  • The Four Swans (Poldark, #6)
  • The Angry Tide (Poldark, #7)
  • The Stranger from the Sea (Poldark, #8)
  • The Miller's Dance (Poldark, #9)
  • The Loving Cup (Poldark, #10)
  • The Twisted Sword (Poldark, #11)