Start by marking “The Stranger from the Sea (Poldark, #8)” as Want to Read:
The Stranger from the Sea (Poldark, #8)

The Stranger from the Sea

(The Poldark Saga #8)

Cornwall, 1810-1811

Stephen Carrington's arrival in the Poldark household changes all their lives. For Clowance and Jeremy in particular, the children of Ross and Demelza, Stephen's advent is the key to a new world—one of both love and danger. This novel is set in early 19th-century Cornwall.
Published May 1st 1996 by MacMillan UK (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Stranger from the Sea, please sign up.
QNPoohBear His full name is John Conan Whitworth. Conan is the grand relative. Morwenna miscarried her second child with Ossie. He had two daughters from his…moreHis full name is John Conan Whitworth. Conan is the grand relative. Morwenna miscarried her second child with Ossie. He had two daughters from his first wife who seem to have disappeared from the novels.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Fiona
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of The Stranger from the Sea (Poldark, #8)
Jaline
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Time marches on for the Poldarks and all of their neighbours. This story begins 11 years after the ending of the previous novel. Elizabeth Warleggan’s eldest son, Charles Geoffrey, is a soldier in the Peninsular war – another long-term confrontation between the aggression of Napoleon’s empire in his attempts to take control of all of Europe, and the defense of the English and Irish - in this case, to aid Portugal in their struggle to maintain control of the Iberian Peninsula.

Ross Poldark, in his
Candi
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Save a stranger from the sea, and he will turn your enemee." - Old Cornish saying

In Book 8 of what is one of my favorite series of all time (in close running with Mary Stewart’s Merlin series), a stranger is rescued from the sea and inserts himself into the lives of the Poldarks. This handsome young man, to my surprise, is quickly accepted by the inhabitants of the surrounding close-knit communities. He is amiable, daring, a bit of a ladies’ man, and rather mysterious. Can we and the people of
Helen White
Jul 12, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Let's be clear this was still good but for me more of a struggle. Two problems - it's all about the kids; Jeremy, Clowance, Valentine etc and there's a lot of social history. The first half is Napoleon and politics the second half is steam engines. I miss all the miners and minor characters like Zacky and Jud and Drake and Sam. Plus I don't like Stephen Carrington - he can go straight back in the sea.
Diane Barnes
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The year is 1811, twelve years after the action in book seven, and along with the changes of a new century, changes abound in the Poldark family. Ross and Demelza have settled into a mature marriage, and while they still love each other passionately, the fiery jealousy and emotions of their younger years have quieted. Now they are also the parents of grown children, Jeremy and Clowance, along with 8 year old Isabella. As with all parents, they watch them make mistakes in love and life, without ...more
Sara
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book Eight of the Poldark Series, The Stranger from the Sea takes place ten years after Book Seven, The Angry Tide. I was concerned that this would mean an abrupt transition from the story of Ross and Demelza to that of the next generation. I have had this happen with other sagas and found it disconcerting. Not to fear, Winston Graham knows precisely how to tell a story with continuity and progress mixed in perfect proportions.

Life has continued apace since we left Ross at a moment of sadness,
Juli
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
**This review actually refers to five books in this series: Stranger From the Sea, The Miller's Dance, The Loving Cup, The Twisted Sword & Bella Poldark**

I really have no clue what rock I was living under....I have no excuse. But, up until recently, I had no idea the Poldark series on television is based on a series of books! I love sweeping historical family sagas. I have no earthly clue how I missed this one! Rectifying the situation immediately!

There are 12 books in the Poldark Saga,
KOMET
Aug 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this novel. I had had some recollections of the PBS Poldark Series when it was on TV back in the 1970s. But beyond that, I did not know anything else about Ross Poldark and his family. That is, until I read this novel, the first of the series for me.

In this novel, Winston Graham provides rich character sketches of Clowance and Jeremy, two of the Poldark children. Clowance is a free-spirited, sensitive, yet sober-minded kind of young lady. You see her becoming
Tanya
"Save a stranger from the sea and he will turn your enemee."
The Stranger from the Sea (book 8 of the Poldark saga) begins ten years after book 7, The Angry Tide, ended. Life has continued for our familiar inhabitants of Cornwall. Children have grown and more children have been born and the author cleverly catches us up on all the occurences by a chance reunion and conversation in Portugal on the eve of a battle between French and British forces. My knowledge of historic events during this time
Marilyn
SPOILER ALERT!

This book was a gross disappointment after the other delightful Poldark books, mainly because:

a. it focuses too much on war and especially politics; and
b. it leaves out so many characters we've come to love.

After all the time spent on Drake in past books, we get a one liner that he and Morwenna are living away, have one child (guess she got over being touched), and work in Ross' boatyard? And Sam has wooed and won Rosina Hoblyn, but that's about all we hear about them? Almost
Tasha
Not a favorite but I definitely plan on continuing. I found it to be somewhat boring compared to the others in the series but shouldn't be skipped because there are stories being laid that I'm sure will become more interesting in the next book, at least I hope so. ;)
Jeanne Johnston
May 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is more about the kids than anything. Jeremy is obsessed with steam and a girl he can't have. I suspect he'll become famous for the first train or horseless carriage in the end. Clowance (ugh, that name...) has suitors from every walk of life, including Stephen from the title, who just makes me uncomfortable in every way. Something slippery and unreliable about him, and there was a little throwaway line from Dwight Enys about rescuing a man from sea, he'd soon become your "enemee." No doubt ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Stranger from the Sea (Poldark, #8), Winston Graham
Lori
Andrew
Unlike the previous books, this one does not start in the year the year the last one finished. It opens a decade later, in 1810. The first chapters are set not in Cornwall, but find Ross in Portugal where he is once again fighting in a war. This time it is against the French army led by Napoleon.

He meets up with Geoffrey Charles, son of Elizabeth. On the eve of a battle.

In Cornwall the story opens with widower George wooing Harriet. Clowance is now in her late teens.

This, the 8th in the series
Cindy
Aug 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I cannot quit the Poldarks!
QNPoohBear
Cornwall 1810-1811
Ten years has passed since we last saw Ross Poldark.
After his duel with Monk Addlerly and Elizabeth's death, Ross felt discontented with Parliament and wanted to quit. Lord Falmouth wouldn't hear of it but they found reasons to send Ross abroad to do some information gathering. His missions have been dangerous and he longs to return to the arms of his loving Cornish wife yet his spirit is still a bit restless. The children have grown up and are trying to find their own
Stephanie
Oct 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoying this series. I would have given this 3.5 if I could. Definitely setting the stage for upcoming events. Love these characters! So well developed.
Pat
Difficult read for me. Too many new characters introduced without continuity from the previous book IMO.
Rick Slane
The industrial revolution begins surrounded by "soap-opera" like plot lines.
Jamie Collins
3.5 stars. Although this book marks a significant transition to the younger generation of Poldarks and Warleggans, there’s still a satisfying number of pages with Ross and Demelza and George Warleggan.

It’s 1810 and the king’s madness has returned. There is rampant speculation that a Regency will bring about a change of government and an immediate end to the war. Warleggan is one of the speculators, and his unwise investment marks one of the few times we see him stumble.

Warleggan is a bastard,
Nooilforpacifists
Clearly a "set-up" for events to come, this book hops over a decade or so to start the stories of the second generation. To be fair, after the ending of the near-perfect book seven, I fully understand that temptation. Yet -- although most of the previous characters still are around -- the personalities of the children need to work up a head of "steam" before any of them become quite as distinct.

As a result, only one thing of consequence (brilliantly slipping Ross into early 19th Century high
Nicole Wagner
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Winston Graham can do no wrong! This novel comes after a 10 year chronological gap in the story timeline, and yet the author manages to make it a natural progression. Ross and Demelza's children, of course, have taken on different aspects of each of their parents, as well been colored by current events and social trends. The lens is impeccably shifted to the goings-on of this next generation, courting the returning reader to be interested without neglecting our longing to learn more about the ...more
Sotiris Karaiskos
More than 10 years have passed since the events of the previous book, and things in this 8th part of this amazing series seem to be quiet as our well-known protagonists of our istory seem determined to move on with their lives, stopping stirring the old passions. Of course in the midst of the Napoleonic wars, quiet is a relative term, and inevitably developments on the battlefield have an indirect or direct impact on people's lives, especially when they tend to want to be at the heart of events. ...more
Suz
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, historical
It's all new content for me as book 7 seemed to catch up with where the TV show is now. I found myself stopping and replaying things often because I didn't want to miss any of it.

This book jumps ahead 10 years, though, so the grown characters is an interesting change.
Mrs Kelly Benning
Sep 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another winner! This time we delve into the lives of Jeremy and Clowance, Ross and Demelza's older children. Jeremy is now 19, Clowance 17, and they are experiencing life as people on the brink of adulthood. I absolutely adore the warm, friendly relationships that the children have with their parents. I'm so tired of the worn-out trope of the angst-ridden, rebellious, misunderstood teen with the parent who is either distant (or not distant enough), oblivious, unloving, or just plain stupid. It's ...more
Mech
Oct 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Cynthia  Scott
Nov 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very good continuation of the saga of these Cornwall families. Story begins ten years after the prior book in the series so the second generation family members are the center characters. Very good background of the history of the late days of the Napoleonic wars too.
Lindsey
Oct 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Ahh this is my least favorite in the series so far, just because it was 80% war political commentary and 20% typical Cornish drama. I was a bit disappointed about the transition from the last book and it’s shocking death ending and the minor mention of it in the big time jump in this one.
Anniek
Again a wonderful novel in the Poldark-series! At the beginning I had a little difficulty coming into the story, because a period of 10 years had to be covered. To the end however the story took me completely and I can't wait to read the next book!
Barbara Peters
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
number 8 in the poldark series. Ross and Demelza are growing up, as are their children. The book is more about them and coming of age of the steam powered engines.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Poldark Saga - Wi...: New characters introduced in this book 8 89 Dec 24, 2017 10:42AM
Poldark Saga - Wi...: Change in Tone? 1 46 Dec 08, 2015 07:36AM
Poldark Saga discussion group 1 8 Nov 24, 2015 12:10PM
Poldark Saga - Wi...: Synopsis and Major Events-SPOILERS! 1 67 Oct 09, 2015 08:40AM
Poldark Saga - Wi...: Favorites 16 51 Oct 08, 2015 07:33AM

• Winston Graham Reading Order and Checklist: The guide to the Poldark books and all standalone novels by Winston Graham
  • The World of Poldark
  • Bibliostyle: How We Live at Home with Books
  • Carrie Fisher: A Life on the Edge
  • Thread Folk
  • Home Made Christmas
  • Charley Harper: An Illustrated Life
  • A Garden Can Be Anywhere: Creating Bountiful and Beautiful Edible Gardens: A Guide to Growing Bountiful, Beautiful, Edible Gardens
  • The Crown: The Official Companion, Volume 2: Political Scandal, Personal Struggle, and the Years That Defined Elizabeth II (1956-1977)
  • Big Ideas for Small Spaces: Creative Ideas and 30 Projects for Balconies, Roof Gardens, Windowsills and Terraces
  • The Little Shop on Silver Linings Street
  • Poldark BBC Series 1-2 Episode Guide
  • Container Gardening Complete: Creative Ideas and Essential Knowledge for Small-Space Growing
  • Creative Family Home: Imaginative and original spaces for modern family living
  • Nordicana: 100 Icons of Nordic Cool & Scandi Style
  • The Culinary Cyclist: A Cookbook and Companion for the Good Life
  • The Making of Outlander: The Series: The Official Guide to Seasons Three & Four
  • Charles Harper's Birds and Words
Winston Graham was the author of forty novels. His books have been widely translated and the Poldark series has been developed into two television series, shown in 22 countries. Six of Winston Graham's books have been filmed for the big screen, the most notable being Marnie, directed by Alfred Hitchcock. Winston Graham was a Fellow of the Royal Society of Literature (FRSL) and in 1983 was invested ...more

The Poldark Saga (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Ross Poldark (Poldark #1)
  • Demelza (Poldark, #2)
  • Jeremy Poldark (Poldark, #3)
  • Warleggan (Poldark, #4)
  • The Black Moon (Poldark, #5)
  • The Four Swans (Poldark, #6)
  • The Angry Tide (Poldark, #7)
  • The Miller's Dance (Poldark, #9)
  • The Loving Cup (Poldark, #10)
  • The Twisted Sword (Poldark, #11)
“People who brag of their ancestors are like root vegetables. All their importance is underground.” 7 likes
“It is hopeless for older people to tell younger ones – particularly their own children – that they have been through the same thing. Such information is no use at all! It bounces off one’s own grief – or jealousy or distress. If we are all born the same we are also all born unique – we all go through torments nobody else has ever had.” 3 likes