Start by marking “Too Big to Miss (An Odelia Grey Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Too Big to Miss (An Odelia Grey Mystery #1)

Too Big to Miss

(An Odelia Grey Mystery #1)

Too big to miss--that's Odelia Grey. A never-married, middle-aged, plus-sized woman who makes no excuses for her weight, she's not super woman just a mere mortal standing on the precipice of menopause, trying to cruise in an ill-fitting bra. She struggles with her relationships, her crazy family, and her crazier boss. And then there''s her knack for being in close proximit

Published October 8th 2013 by Midnight Ink (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Too Big to Miss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Too Big to Miss

Start your review of Too Big to Miss (An Odelia Grey Mystery #1)
Marfita
Jun 27, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fat, middle-aged paralegals
Shelves: mysteries
Disclaimer: I'm fat, middle-aged, and a former paralegal.
I devoured this in one day. Most of the ickier bits (the death is a gritty one that's revisited through retrieved screen captures) I skimmed over. Jaffarian has created some interesting characters, many of them plus-sized which is nice to see. The mystery was a good one and there is a spot of romance, where Jaffarian falls into the fatal blunder of making the sex "the best [Odelia] ever had." Writing like that makes me want to bang my hea
Morgan
I'm usually not too big on the whole cozy mystery thing, but something about this one just hit the right buttons and had enough in the way of humor to get me through. A cool dog and grumpy cat didn't hurt things either.

Odelia is overweight, middle-aged, and happily single and all of those things seem to be pretty rare in a lot of books. Now, there is some romance in the series, but Odelia isn't absolutely dying for companionship. She has her best friend, her bestie's husband and kids who all tre
Meg
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I often got rather sad while reading this one. The exploitation of women, especially large-sized women in this case, got pretty depressing. While there were other dark plot lines in the story, this happened to be the central theme. Justice was served in many ways, yet nothing can ever truly make up for what those poor souls went through.

There were definitely heartwarming aspects throughout, however: deep and abiding friendships; small, empowering victories (baby steps, baby!); and a sweet, prot
Olivia
Nov 19, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So, this one is quite difficult to review... I really liked the premise - larger, middle-aged woman who was comfortable in her own skin investigating the mysterious death of her good friend.

But it just wasn't terribly enjoyable. I wanted to get to the end so that it would be over! I couldn't just put it down without knowing the conclusion... but getting there was painful.

There was just too much extraneous description. So much fluffing wasn't necessary - I really don't need to know EVERY small de
Rajan
Very ironic and funny:

"From the first time Adam noticed shrinkage and explained it to Eve, men have been trying to tell women that size didn't matter when it came to their manhood. Small penis. Big penis. Made no difference. Both were good. The same men have been telling women that size does matter when it comes to breasts, butts and hips. To add to the confusion, big and small could also be good and bad at the same time. Big smile good. Big ass bad. Small waist good. Small tits bad.
     It was
Emily Dunbar
Okay, sooooo here’s the thing. I’m embarking on a project in 2020 where I research about and read as many books as I can with fat protagonists, and my goal will eventually be to have a shelf as exhaustive as possible!! For reference! This book was the first because I needed a win and a good jumping off point. But I don’t know if I should add it to the shelf!!

Here’s the good:
1. Our main character, Odelia, is undeniably fat, and so are all her friends
2. They are all part of a fat women’s group,
Lauren
Apr 18, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining read. Read the books out of order and it may have increased my liking this book. I like our intrepid protagonist - Odelia is plus-sized paralegal who stumbles upon a suicide that turns into a murder. Some of the outside plot details are a little outrageous. I like the sweet love story, the friendship, and the description. Our author is a fan of the details. Not bogging you down details but little throw aways that make the read enjoyable.

Not the tightest of tales but entertaining.
Betsy
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a great start to the Odelia Grey series! The book had me right from the start. A perfectly written character who is thoroughly entertaining. I cannot wait to read more in the series. 4 stars
Dawn Michelle
I cannot even review this excellent book right now because I just found out all the remaining books have no accompanying audiobook. I loved this book. And now I cannot read any more of them. I am angry and sad and am going to go sit in the corner for awhile and cry while the rest of the world just carries on.

Hmph!
Liadan
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like Odelia Grey. I wasn't sure if this book would be my cup of tea - I don't tend to read amateur sleuth mysteries - but this was a great cup of tea. Solid writing, memorable characters, a good mystery, and a protagonist I just fell in love with. I think I'll get the next one!
Maureen
Oct 24, 2020 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Very funny and liked the main chacacter
☺Trish
Too Big To Miss by Sue Ann Jaffarian is definitely not a true cozy mystery, although It does feature an amateur sleuth in BBW paralegal, Odelia Grey. It is more of a chick-lit/romance/murder mystery hybrid that reveals some pretty shocking and grisly secrets.
Vanessa Lehan
Aug 28, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had really high hopes for this. I love a cozy mystery and the premise sounded interesting. The biggest problem that I had here was the bland prose (sometimes described as an "easy read" but to me just feels like reading something written by a sixth grader). I also found some of the character descriptions (of the "trailer trash" and Odelia's family specifically) to be insulting, lazy, and classist.
Ellen
A gifted author-Bravo, October 9, 2011
By Ellen Rappaport
This review is from: Too Big to Miss (The Odelia Grey Mysteries) (Paperback)
I've previously read 2 of Jaffarians other series and loved them. This was my first book in her Ophelia Grey series and Jaffarian does it again. This author included all the characters most writers wouldn't dare to include. Thank-you Sue Ann for your consideration of all of us.
This story opened up more of each character with each passing page. I became one of t
Judy
Oct 10, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh yes, Odelia Grey is large--like 5'1" and 215 pounds. She is also middle aged and the way she looks at it, if you don't like it, you can kiss her big you-know-what. Odelia is comfortable in her own skin, however, she would like to be able to stand up for herself more. In her professional life, Odelia is a corporate paralegal who is highly regarded within her law firm--which leads to her being assigned to an attorney she can't stand. She also has relationship issues, a family that is beyond dys ...more
Elaine
Jul 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this one. And that says a lot.

Instead of the svelte beauties typical of murder investigations in this genre, we have an overweight perhaps average-looking woman in Odelia trying to piece together an apparent suicide of her close friend Sophie.

Not only is inspirational and successful Sophie one of the last persons one would expect to commit suicide, there are other details about her that only come to surface after her death, throwing Odelia into a tailspin.

There’s much suspense i
Sandy
This book was a free kindle download and I had never heard of it, so I didn't come into it with any particular expectations. But I like mysteries, so why not?

I was quite pleasantly surprised - this was a fun read. I liked the characters, I thought the plot was interesting, and the whole background - the relationship of overweight women to society - was so true!

Another thing I enjoyed was the relationship between the amateur detectives and the police. The primary police officer on the case was sm
Linda
May 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ever since I read two of the later books in this series I've been eager to find earlier titles. This is book #1. In it we meet Odelia Grey, a 40 something single paralegal who is a plus-sized sassy woman. In this first story Odelia gets involved in the whys of the suicide of her good friend, Sophie London, a large beautiful woman who is the advocate for overweight women everywhere. But something doesn't seem right that confident Sophie would kill herself, even though she did so on camera in fron ...more
Diane
Sep 12, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was at a BBW Bash, and happened to meet the author. In fact, after I bought a copy of her book and had her sign it for me, I won another during a lecture she was giving. Luckily for me, the copy that was later stolen was NOT the signed one!

I haven't gotten to read her other books yet, but they are on my list of books to get soon!

–--------------------------------------

Since I wrote this review in 2007, I've read each "Odelia" and "Granny Apples" books as they came out. I still love them, and wi
Shawn Elisabeth
I enjoyed this murder mystery. Odelia Grey is a great character. I loved that she is plus sized. I felt that Sue Ann Jaffarian had the insecurities of a plus size woman down pat. Even though I figured out who down it halfway into the book; I still was not sure until the end. There are alot of suspects that I was left wondering to the end. I loved this positive role model for women of any size and of any age. I have the next book in this series on order at the libray and I can't wait to get.
Mark Baker
Mar 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, 2009
How have I missed this series before? When plus size paralegal Odelia Grey's friend kills herself with a gun, the police think it is an open and shut case. But Odelia isn't so sure, especially when all kinds of secrets begin to come to light. There was a bit more about adult web sites and Odelia's love life then I truly wanted to know, but I definitely plan to read more.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Jan
Sep 02, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting start to a series. I just saw it at the library and decided to try it on a whim.

Odelia Grey is a large lady, a paralegal whose best friend has just committed suicide. Odelia doesn't think he friends would have done that and so starts digging into her friend's background. She uncovers a large can of worms - adult websites, sleezy businesses and practices, prostitution - and finally sorts out what happened.

The characters were very good, and there was quite a bit of humor
Jan 17, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, Was I surprised by this book! This is the first of a series of 4 by author-Sue Ann Jaffarian and boy was I on end trying to discover "who dun it", in fact I even tried reading the end of the book and the answer wasn't at the end but mixed-up or mixed with the "near end?"
Anyhow...I was impressed!
Maria
Sep 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paralysis-sci
A really good read. I liked the main and secondary characters - many seem the kind of people you usually meet -, the humour, the focus on a variety of feelings and emotions that surpasses the romantic couple.
The heroine and the hero, both physically not according to the canon, are witty and heartwarming and very interesting from the human point of view.
Sue Ross
Apr 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So good I had to read the second one....Bet you can't read just one.
Rachel
Jun 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this mystery series. Odelia makes me giggle :)
Dru
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Funny and good. Will probably try to find more in this series and by this author.
Laura Edwards
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I thought this book would veer toward the silly and cartoonish given the cover, but I was pleasantly surprised. The story was more serious than I expected. Odelia Grey is a likable enough character and the secondary characters are also well-drawn. The mystery was also fairly interesting and complex. (mini-spoiler: The most obvious candidate is not the bad guy, at least not in regard to the particular crime focused on in this book.)

At one time in my life, I might have thought Odelia's step-family
Sherrill Watson
Nov 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
See Morgan and Rajan's reviews.

A very nice, not your typical cozy mystery; Odelia Grey weighs 215 pounds, and works as a paralegal for a jerk. She has / had a friend (well, acquaintance,) Sophia London ("Langerdorf"), until Sophie's suicide(?), which she is trying to solve.

Her relatives are way too dumb and redneck for words, and her father seems stuck with them. She learns, piece by piece, of big and bold, blond, Sophia's history, which is not at all what she knew before. . . Detective Dev(in)
Moondance
My weekend was D.O.A....dead on arrival.

Odelia Grey is a single, middle-aged, plus-sized paralegal who learns that a close friend has committed suicide. Sophie London was a larger than life advocate for plus size women who had a secret life. Odelia is stunned by Sophie's death and begins investigating the twists and turns that led to the suicide.

Good grief! I don't know why it took me so long to start this series. I love Odelia! She is smart and funny with just enough snark. She is a true and lo
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Blind Justice (William Monk, #19)
  • The Cereal Murders (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #3)
  • Shop Till You Drop (Dead-End Job Mystery, #1)
  • Dying for Chocolate (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #2)
  • The Story of Lee: Volume 2 of 3
  • Story of Lee 1
  • The Crabby Condition (The March of the Crabs #1)
  • Louise's Lies (Louise Pearlie, #6)
  • The Red House Mystery
  • Louise's War (Louise Pearlie, #1)
  • The Night She Died (Inspector Thanet #1)
  • Charlie All Night
  • Louise's Gamble (Louise Pearlie, #2)
  • The Sibyl in Her Grave (Hilary Tamar, #4)
  • Louise's Dilemma (Louise Pearlie, #3)
  • Le Detection Club
  • The Detection Club - Volume 2
  • Murder at Mullings
Sue Ann Jaffarian is the author of the popular Odelia Grey mystery series, the Ghost of Granny Apples mystery series and the Madison Rose vampire mysteries, as well as short stories.

Sue Ann also writes the Winnie Wilde romance novellas.

Like the character Odelia Grey, Sue Ann Jaffarian is a middle-aged, plus-sized paralegal. She lives in Los Angeles.

In addition to writing, Sue Ann is sought after a

An Odelia Grey Mystery (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Curse of the Holy Pail (An Odelia Grey Mystery, #2)
  • Thugs and Kisses (An Odelia Grey Mystery, #3)
  • Booby Trap (An Odelia Grey Mystery, #4)
  • Corpse on the Cob (An Odelia Grey Mystery, #5)
  • Twice As Dead (An Odelia Grey Mystery, #6)
  • Hide & Snoop (An Odelia Grey Mystery, #7)
  • Secondhand Stiff (An Odelia Grey Mystery #8)
  • Hell on Wheels (An Odelia Grey Mystery, #9)
  • A Body to Spare (An Odelia Grey Mystery, #10)
  • Rhythm & Clues (An Odelia Grey Mystery, #11)