Start by marking “The Ace (Men of the Show #2)” as Want to Read:
The Ace (Men of the Show #2)

The Ace

(Men of the Show #2)

“Love ’em and leave ’em” has been real estate agent Karen Bently’s motto for as long as she can remember. She doesn’t need a man, except to make her toes curl. Or so she thought, until her longtime crush, Ace pitcher Jerry Smutton, sets his sights on her.

ebook
Published April 14th 2014 by Carina Press (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Ace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ace

Nicole
Apr 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Review originally posted here: http://thebookpushers.com/2014/04/18/...

Although I had some mixed feelings about the first book in this series, I was intrigued enough by both Jerry and Karen to give this book a try.

Jerry just signed a deal as the Ace pitcher of the Detroit Rockets, but for some reason, his game starts to suffer. He and his coaches can’t figure out what the problem is, as he hasn’t changed anything with his pitching arm. The only thing in Jerry’s live that has changed is Karen. Wh
Heather andrews
Mar 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, and it's characters. Jerry stole the show, he was so snarky, "he laughed as he turned back to Chase and Maddie with his arm still around her. "It's okay, guys. She's just embarrassed to show her excitement in front of an audience, but, believe me, she's ecstatic to see me." He knows when to give compliments when they are due, "you're a funny woman," he said as he eyes her with what looked like interest." I mean once the boy makes his mind up on something it is gung-ho to that ...more
Brianna (The Book Vixen)
Mar 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Review copy provided via NetGalley

Why I Read this Book: I like when a romance starts off as a ‘friends with benefits’ deal. I hadn’t heard of this book until I got a review request for it, and truth be told, if I had only seen the cover, I would have passed this book up. Once I read the blurb, the premise sounded interested enough for me to read.

What I Liked: Karen and Jerry were a fun pair. Karen’s sass and the back and forth banter made The Ace a delightful read. She speaks her mind and doesn’
Kanoko
May 27, 2014 marked it as dropped-and-skimmed
Dropped at 28%.

I expected to read thirty-year-old characters, and I got three-year-old ones. Not worth the headache I feel coming trying to make sense of this mess.
Sophia
Feb 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Spring time in Michigan wouldn't be complete without Opening Day for the beloved home baseball team. And as a long time resident, I can attest to the truth of this so I was excited to grab up this book that highlights the star commitment shy starting pitcher for a fictional Detroit baseball team and a spunky, stubborn hot mess of a real estate gal who makes Jerry's commitment issues minor league. These two took my on quite the emotional roller coaster ride, but along the way I had a good time en ...more
Katie_la_geek

A free copy of this book was provided in exchange for an honest review

THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SOME SPOILERS.

I am weary. Here I am writing another review for a book that had potential but was ruined by it's characters. This is becoming a habit. It is beginning to feel like an epidemic, maybe it is just me, maybe I am just picking the wrong books, maybe I am cursed. I feel like half the books I am picking up right now are full of these characters, horrible people, with horrible issues, meant to be en
Char (1RadReader59)
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Rhonda Shaw puts a very interesting spin on a new event in men and women’s lives, casual, unattached, and “friend bennies.” “Friend beneies” you ask? Well, it means friends with benefits.
You see Karen Bently has been has been hurt by two important relationships in her past, an ex-fiancé who was deceitful to her in last year in college when they were to marry. The more important of the two would be her father. He deserted her mother, which in turn deserted her too.
So, now she is the one woman
Kirke
Jan 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sport, review
It had crossed Karen's mind, now that her best friend was marrying a Rocket player, she might finally meet Jerry Smutton. Karen is a huge baseball fan and she has a little crush on him, though she would never admit this to Jerry.

Finally luck is on her side, Jerry signed on of the biggest contracts in baseball history. Which means he finally needs a real house instead of the condo he's been renting. Who better to help him than Karen, the best friend of the fiancé of his teammate. Upon meeting the
Rosalin
Feb 17, 2014 rated it really liked it

description

After reading and enjoying The Changeup, I was anxious about reading this second instalment to the Men of the Show series. I wanted to see where Rhonda was going to take us with Karen and Jerry's story.

We met Karen and Jerry in the first book. She's Maddie's best friend and a real state agent. He's Chase's team mate and the ace pitcher for the Detroit Rockets. They're two people afraid of commitment who deal with it in different ways. She's a manhater while he has fun with different w
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
Slick‘s review posted on Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

4 STARS

Review copy provided for an honest review

Rhonda Shaw is back with another book in her Men of the Show series and The Ace features veteran pitcher for the Detroit Rockets Jerry “Smutty” Smutton and Karen Bently, best friend to Maddie from book one. Because I love the game so much, I enjoyed this story of a pitcher who after signing a huge contract begins to have some trouble with his game. As an avid fan, I’ve seen this happen from time
Karina Ramirez
May 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, new-adult
4.5 Game Changer Stars!

So I mean really what's not to love about a sexy baseball pitcher?

"Aunt Karen" a real estate agent who doesn't believe in settling down has finally met her match in the sexy Detroit Rockets star pitcher Jerry Smutton.

After agreeing to help in find his dream home the two begin to develop a mutual heated attraction. It also doesn't hurt that they are the Best Man and Maid of Honor in their best friends wedding.

What turns out as a friends with benefits arrangement turns i
Paris
Mar 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the first book, The Changeup, in Rhonda Shaw’s Men of the Show series, but I didn’t really connect with either of the main characters. I did, however, like what I saw of Jerry and Karen, so I was eager to get to this book. They were just as awesome as I expected them to be. They are both witty and sarcastic, they fit so perfectly together. And holy cow were they hot together. I couldn’t get enough of them. I also loved the amount of baseball thrown into this story. Jerry’s issues were ...more
Lea
Apr 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sports-romance
This was an enjoyable read. I really enjoy sports romances and while football is my favorite baseball is a close second. This was an engaging story and I really enjoyed the look into the clubhouse and the mind of a pitcher when what’s going on outside starts to effect what happens on the mound.

There is great chemistry between Karen and Jerry and I enjoyed many of their interactions but as their relationship began to grow I found a lot of their responses very immature for people in their
Kame
Apr 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
I will give it 3 1/2 stars

Karen loves baseball, and her favorite player Jerry Smutton is also the star of her nightly fantasies. Now that her best friend is engaged to one of his teammates the chances of spending more time with him are very high. Karen does not fool herself that they will fall in love, she has decided to never let that happen again.

Karen and Jerry spent more time talking themselves out of the possibility of a relationship than working towards one in my opinion. When they did man
Anja
Jan 26, 2015 marked it as to-read

After signing one of the largest baseball contracts in history with the Detroit Rockets, Jerry enlists Karen to help him find the house of his dreams. Their connection is instant and electric, but neither of them is the relationship type. When J
Jac (For Love and Books)
Apr 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Back in January I read (and adored) Rhonda Shaw’s The Changeup, so when I saw The Ace on Netgalley? I was anxious to get reading! (Especially with the recent kick off of baseball season!) The only hesitation I had, is that it’s smack in the middle of hockey playoffs, so I’m not really in the baseball mindset. That said? I adored this book, every moment of it!

I loved Jerry and Karen in The Changeup, and I knew from the beginning that they were as perfect for one another as Maddie and Chase were!
Randi
May 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love sport romances!

I’m always looking for a new author that writes sports romances. Baseball is my favorite sport so when I saw then cover of the book it immediately caught my interest and the story didn't disappoint.

I didn't read the first book in the series and even though you can tell there was another book this book definitely stands alone. I will definitely go back and read the first book in the series and can’t wait for the book 3.

Jerry and Karen are both great strong characters who thi
Christa
Jun 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook-arc
In this one, Karen Bently, real estate agent, is helping baseball player Jerry Smutton find the house of his dreams. As they get to know one another, they begin a friends with benefits arrangement. Soon, their feelings deepen, but both try to deny that they are in a real relationship.

I enjoyed this sports romance. I liked both characters, and the storyline was one that kept me interested. I'm looking forward to more in the series. Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for providing an ARC in ret
Gina Ceballos
Hate to say this because I was really looking forward to this book, but while Karen was a force to be reckoned with in book one, she was annoyingly insecure in this one. I didn’t even find her funny.

First 2 thirds of the book took me forever to get out of. Last third of the book was good.
Angela Forshee
May 04, 2014
laurie weiss
Oct 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Stealing Second (Feeling the Heat, #5)
  • Making a Comeback (More Than a Game, #3)
  • Tempting the Player (London Legends, #3)
  • Up to Me (Shore Secrets, #1)
  • Throwing Heat (Diamonds and Dugouts #3)
  • Imaginary Lines (New York Leopards, #3)
  • Too Hot to Handle (The Boys of Summer, #2)
  • Undefeated (Bomb Squad, #2)
  • Catching Cameron (Love and Football, #3)
  • Play by Play (Play Makers Shorts, #1)
  • Win Me Over (Hearts and Crafts, #2)
  • Knock Out (Billionaire's Club: New Orleans, #1)
  • Game Play (Power Play, #1)
  • Loving Him Off the Field (Santa Fe Bobcats, #2)
  • Below the Belt (Worth the Fight, #3)
  • Second Thoughts (The Diamond Brides, #4)
Rhonda owes her love of reading to her mother who would read to her each night before bed and sometimes give into her pleads for more than one chapter. These days, if Rhonda doesn't have a book in her hands, it feels like something is missing. While romance is her true passion, Rhonda enjoys reading multiple genres.

Born in California, but transplanted to the Midwest, Rhonda is warm weather girl to

Men of the Show (3 books)
  • The Changeup (Men of the Show #1)
  • Caught (Men of the Show #3)