Start by marking “Crisis on Infinite Earths” as Want to Read:
Crisis on Infinite Earths

Crisis on Infinite Earths

(Crisis on Infinite Earths #1-12)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  14,160 Ratings  ·  422 Reviews
Worlds lived. Worlds died. And the DC Universe was never the same.

In 1985, DC Comics dramatically altered comics' original universe with Crisis on Infinite Earths, a 12-issue series that rocked the comics community, tragically dooming some of DC's most beloved characters and drastically altering others. An unforgettable and defining event in comics history, Crisis was argu
Published January 1st 2001 by DC Comics (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Crisis on Infinite Earths, please sign up.
Alexander James-Palmer It's also available at local bookstores too. Or do what I did, buy it online. Amazon is a good choice for that.
Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Complete Persepolis by Marjane SatrapiPreludes & Nocturnes by Neil Gaiman
Best Graphic Novels
2,599 books — 5,981 voters
Flashpoint by Geoff JohnsThe Flash by Geoff JohnsCrisis on Infinite Earths by Marv WolfmanThe Flash, Vol. 1 by Francis ManapulThe Flash by Geoff Johns
Best of the Flash
71 books — 38 voters

More lists with this book...

Sam Quixote
Aug 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
Every year I read at least one “classic” book, despite knowing it’ll probably stink, because sometimes they surprise me by showing why they’re considered classics in the first place. So I picked up the granddaddy of event comics, Crisis on Infinite Earths, and unfortunately it didn’t surprise me. In fact, it wasn’t just bad – I think this is the worst superhero comic I’ve ever read. Classic piece of shit more like!

The DC Universe at the time of this book was a mess of confusing, mind-numbingly
Dan Schwent
Walls of antimatter are destroying the worlds of the multiverse and it's up to the superheroes of many earths to band stop them and their maker, the villainous Anti-Monitor!

I read a handful of issues of this miniseries over the years but never read it in its entirety. Imagine my delight when my mom got me this for Christmas despite me being "hard to buy for."

Crisis was created to get rid of the multitude of parallel earths and just have one DC earth in the name of simplification. In retrospect,
Donovan
Epic, tragic, inter-dimensional space opera, the penultimate event that started all events and changed DC history forever.

The plot: Anti-Monitor versus the known universe.

The cast: The DCU in its entirety.

The artwork: Mind-boggling, hand-illustrated macroscopy.

The writing: Prosaic but incredible.

Read Crisis On Infinite Earths for twelve issues of hyperbole perfection.
Alejandro
A universe reinvents itself!

This TPB edition collects “Crisis on Infinite Earths” #1-12.

Creative Team:

Writer: Marv Wolfman

Illustrator: George Pérez

Special Anniversary Cover: Alex Ross

RICH HISTORY… JUST TOO RICH

It’s 1986 and DC Comics already had 50 years of history generating not only millions of stories, but also…

…an infinite number of “Earths”.

Crisis on Infinite Earths wasn’t technically the first time that DC Comics had been a process of reinvention. Batman had began as gritty to become c
Sesana
Crisis on Infinite Earths is unquestionably a landmark moment in the history of DC, and comics in general. At this point, the expectations for new readers are either sky-high or in the basement. The reality is somewhere in between.

First of all, this is such a product of its time that it's kind of funny. Lots of dated posturing, dated art, and really dated character designs. But the art really is quite good, for the time. And the concept is ambitious enough that I'm able to forgive quite a bit in
Will Johnson
So, what do you do when you know next to nothing about the DC Universe? You decide to read the most complex, complicated, mind-boggingly convoluted saga in the company’s history, that’s what! For whatever reason I was compelled, for months it seemed, to pick up Crisis on Infinite Earths and read it. I can’t explain it but for some reason I decided I’d buy it and try it out. And while the book is everything I described above, it also happens to be a masterpiece of the comic art form and, whether ...more
Sr3yas
DC Comics proudly presents....
The most Risky, Confusing, Over-populated and Important comic book event of the 80's.

Welcome to pre-crisis multi-verse containing Earth-1, Earth 2, Earth 3, Earth-Prime, Earth-S, Earth-X and whatever alphabets you can think of. Ah, Never mind, they are all being destroyed anyway.

But the question is by whom and how can the heroesssss stop them?

Why the multiple S in heroes, you ask? Because the story is criminally full of them. Superheroes from five different Earths
Aaron
Dec 12, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This 1980s book is famous as the first attempt to radically overhaul a sprawling, unmanageable fictional mythos: the DC Universe. I was interested to see how they did it.

The answer is, 'with superheroic levels of cheese'. This book is exactly what non-comic-readers think comics are. A colourful costume parade with Kirby crackle everywhere, firework-displays of energy beams, cheesy exposition - a bad guy wailing, 'NO YOU ARE DESTROYING ME' - shallow characterisation, severe ADD, and largely lacki
J
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This took me long enough. And it was the perfect comic to finish reading on my birthday ( hip hip hooray ).

I really don't know how to get into reviewing this. But the artwork was amazing (if you're into the older style of art). The dialogue flowed well. The plot... Oh, boy. The plot was amazing. Basically a positive matter being known as the Monitor is trying to keep an anti-matter being known as the Anti-Monitor from converting all matter into negative matter, thus destroying all earths. He d
Ray
Jan 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
What a classic of the superhero genre, truly getting your money's worth featuring every single DC character up to 1985 in what still hold's up as one of the most ambitious crossovers of all time.

I'd only recommend Crisis on Infinite Earths, however, for the true superhero aficionado. This is not an introductory course.

Structurally this high-concept story doesn't make sense except steeped in the context of the already decades-old DC multiverse. But it's still a very fun ride.

Monitor vs. Anti-Mon
Chris
Jun 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This, ladies and gentlemen, is one of the works that has affected me deeply. More importantly, it is something that has caused considerable harm to my wallet and bank account, as I have been collecting comic books for almost twenty-five years now, and it's all because of Crisis. I can still remember going to the drugstore after church one Sunday and seeing the cover to Crisis #9 - a classic George Perez group shot of some of the most terrible villains ever seen in the DC Universe. You name the b ...more
Jedi JC Daquis
Jun 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
By the seven seas, Crisis on Infinite Earths is a long read for a comic book trade paperback. What is meant to be read for a year is not meant to be read for a few days. A maxi-series of epic proportions, Crisis on Infinite Earths literally destroyed universes and traveled dimensions even beyond space and time for an epic series that simplified the DC universe and paved the way for other publishers to do line-wide crossovers - something which was unheard of during that time.

The year was 1985, th
Jbainnz
Feb 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Finally got around to reading this. And I loved it. Yes it was quite long, and quite wordy, and full of so many damn characters, but in the end it was such a cool intense read.

This basically has every single DC character in it. Let me say that again cause the enormity of that statement is pretty overwhelming. Many people would find this off putting and fair too ambitious, and I agree at times I found myself having to step back and reread shit, but I fits together in it own way. There's so much g
Dan
Dec 13, 2015 rated it liked it
So I had to read this classic storyline as I had never read it until now. I have to say it was not as good as I had hoped. It really has too much going on with all of the different earth versions, and I guess at this time DC also had a lot of different characters some of which I had never heard of. Very similar to Marvel's Secret Wars.
FunkyPlaid
Apr 17, 2009 rated it did not like it
One star for the effort of cleaning up the very messy DC universe. But seriously, reading this again as an adult was like homework; I simply couldn't wait to be done with it. Every single page has some DC hero shouting out his power and calling all the other heroes by their names after every interaction - just so we're clear who's who in this childish morass of a storyline. Too many trite Great Scotts! and Hera Help Mes!

Worst thing about it: Flash's Cosmic Treadmill!

Worst line within it: "Sudden
Gianfranco Mancini
3,5 stars

(4-5 if you are a die hard DC fan)

Nel corso dei suoi primi 50 anni di vita editoriale, la DC Comics ha fatto ampio uso del concetto di terre alternative fino ad abusarne.
Avendo inoltre acquisito molte altre case editrici minori, inserendone i personaggi in universi separati all'interno del proprio multiverso, questi si erano moltiplicati fino al punto da risultare di difficile comprensione al lettore, lo stesso dicasi per incongruenze ed errori di continuity.
C'era quindi bisogno di qua
Stephen
Jul 27, 2010 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. This was an important mini-series in the DC uiniverse as it put an end to the multiverse as an active part of the DC universe (no more Earth II Superman, Flash, Green Lantern, etc). However, from a pure quality and enjoyment standpont, it was only okay. Overall, call it 2.5 stars.
Sam
Aug 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
I now own the Alex Ross cover trade. It's an awesome reworking of Perez's original.

So, backstory. DC Comics was trying to scale down in 1985. Decades of hapless continuity, old, faded characters and a squeaky-clean image had made the company a laughing stock. So, Marv Wolfman and George Perez took up the challenge to make a 12-issue miniseries that completely obliterated all of the wacky worlds that writers had come up with since the 50's. Bizarro World? Gone. Earth-S? Gone. Earth 3? Gone. Plus,
Timothy Boyd
May 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Incredible mini-series. This story has almost ever DC hero and villian in it. The death of the first Flash, Barry Allen, is a keystone event in the DC universe. Highly recommended
Chris
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: events, dc
It is difficult to know where to start when reviewing this book due to the sheer scale of it. Maybe I should start by saying, if you are looking for a book that will take you for a gentle stroll into a world of make believe, a little bit of escapism to kill an hour or two, then this certainly isn't the book you are looking for (did that sound a little bit Obi Wan?). This book is complicated, and I mean headache inducingly complicated. There were times reading this book that I genuinely had to pu ...more
Michael Neno
Jun 25, 2017 rated it did not like it
Crisis on Infinite Earths may be the worst comic story I've read. By worst, I don't mean unprofessional. The most amateurish mid-'80s, self-published B&W comic published on browning, cheap newsprint can have its inadvertent charms, but there's nothing charming about this slick, corporate product. COIE was one of the first miniseries created by corporate committee (Jim Shooter, not surprisingly, led the way the previous year with Secret Wars). Reading it was a slogging chore.

COIE is a convolu
Tar Buendía
Puntuar este cómic me ha resultado especialmente difícil.

Por un lado tiene una parte (especialmente la central) que es simplemente brillante y la idea es espectacular.

Por otro puntuar en goodreads para la mayoría de nosotros no es un ejercicio de crítica literaria sino una explicación totalmente subjetiva de lo que una obra nos ha parecido. Y yo por razones muy subjetivas me he aburrido como una ostra en algunas partes.

La idea de reunir a todos los supers está muy bien excepto cuando como yo ere
Art the Turtle of Amazing Girth
Just as good as I remember it from when I first read it in mid-80s as a kid.

Good Monitor, great future planner, knew what he was doing for billions of years.

Bad Monitor, one evil mahfah. His list is long, Supergirl, Dove, Green Arrow, Robin, Huntress, Kole, The Crime Syndicate, Oan Guardians, A host of villains, A host of other heroes. It took incredible might and willpower to topple this eternal baddie.

The Flash, and his ultimate sacrifice for all things. Lonely, hated by those around him, and
Nick
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
This is quite the event comic. Once it finally gets going it is okay and even has some good bits. That said, it wakes almost half the book to move the plot forward; the first half is repetitive and slow. It doesn't help that there is no main character or even small group of characters to identify with. Instead, it follows a (seemingly) random collection of DC's heroes.
This is one of DC's more famous volumes, and that makes sense from the standpoint of it bringing together all of their universes,
Jenn
Mar 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
When you take a step back and look at the story as a whole, it's a pretty great concept. However, each individual comic that makes up this trade paperback is NOT so great. A lot of the time it seemed like the story wasn't progressing because too many panels were wasted trying to sum up what happened in the previous issue. Granted, the comics were originally released on a monthly basis, so it's understandable. The last four or five issues are by far the best in the whole series and are what made ...more
Jesse A
May 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
So confusing and busy and bright. The kind of comics that kept me from picking them up as a kid.
Sans
It’s finally over. That was more painful than reading textbooks.
Stavros Blackmore
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Oooooook, so...this was long overdue. The goal of the writers was obviously to tidy up the mess that the existence of the multiverse created. The Anti-Monitor, the evil counterpart of the Monitor, wants to draw the multiverse into the anti-matter universe and, of course, heroes all over the worlds have to unite in order to stop him. In my opinion, the premise is intriguing and of epic proportions and the storytelling is easy to follow.
If had to find a flaw, a major one would be the cringe probl
Greg Strandberg
Feb 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I’m a little conflicted on this 1985-6 year-long DC Universe story.

It has great art but a few too many characters. Some of the most memorable aspects were the good fight that saw the end to Super Girl as well as the Flash getting taken down.

I'm not sure why I should be that interested in many of the characters, and that’s probably why DC used this opportunity to kill many off. There are lots of characters that I've never heard of, and I'm kind of glad for that. Psycho Pirate...White Knight...Par
Jerry Don
Aug 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I love frakking love comic books, and I've been hearing about this massive crossover for years, so I finally decided to take the plunge. And...I was a little disappointed. I mean, it's epic in scope, but perhaps, in this case, that's a bad thing. It seems that the writer tried too hard to put too much into this multi-issue story arc. It literally included every hero in the DC Universe at the time and this makes the story cumbersome. The story idea is a good one, and it is interesting enough to f ...more
Today's children 'facing housing crisis' warning 1 25 Dec 26, 2013 04:04PM
  • Infinite Crisis
  • JLA: Earth 2
  • JLA/Avengers
  • Identity Crisis
  • Justice League International, Vol. 1
  • The Death of Superman (The Death and Return of Superman, #1)
  • JLA: Year One
  • JSA: The Golden Age
  • Green Arrow, Vol. 1: Quiver
  • Justice, Volume 1
  • Absolute DC: The New Frontier
  • The Green Lantern/Green Arrow Collection, Vol. 1
  • Superman/Batman, Vol. 1: Public Enemies
Marvin A. "Marv" Wolfman is an award-winning American comic book writer. He is best known for lengthy runs on The Tomb of Dracula, creating Blade for Marvel Comics, and The New Teen Titans for DC Comics.

Crisis on Infinite Earths (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Crisis on Infinite Earths #1