Start by marking “Beauty and the Beast (Timeless Fairy Tales, #1)” as Want to Read:
Beauty and the Beast (Timeless Fairy Tales, #1)

Beauty and the Beast

(Timeless Fairy Tales #1)

Once upon a time Elle made a mistake. A small miscalculation sends her through the roof of an enchanted chateau. Stranded until her broken leg mends, Elle is unwillingly forced to rely on the good will of the sour chateau owner —the cursed Prince Severin.

Prince Severin—the commanding general and staunch supporter of his brother the crown prince—is cursed to look like a bea
Published December 15th 2013 by Take out the Trash (first published December 12th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Beauty and the Beast, please sign up.
Jen It is part of a (wonderfully fun) series, but stands easily on its own. The stories build off each other, and it's fun to see the world expand, but yo…moreIt is part of a (wonderfully fun) series, but stands easily on its own. The stories build off each other, and it's fun to see the world expand, but you will not find a frustratingly story-shattering cliffhanger at the end!(less)
Jen I am very sorry, but are you certain you have the right title? K.M. Shea writes very clean books, and I would certainly classify this one as such! Yes…moreI am very sorry, but are you certain you have the right title? K.M. Shea writes very clean books, and I would certainly classify this one as such! Yes, Severin has a lot of growing to do (as does Elle), but the inclusion of character faults does not immediately pull a book from the wholesome category, at least in my mind. I would not hesitate to share this with a ten year old. It is a great book for all ages. (less)

Start your review of Beauty and the Beast (Timeless Fairy Tales, #1)
Cristina Monica

Ah… another sweet fairytale retelling. I don’t think I could ever tire of them. Especially not Beauty and the Beast retells. They’re my favourites and, from my reading experience and personal tastes, the best ones there are out there.

I liked this. It’s light, it’s lovely and shimmering with magic and hope. I especially enjoyed seeing the alterations to the classic and how those modifications made the story feel like a novelty and like reading Beauty and the Beast for the first time. It made me r
Sharon
Reading this book gives me the coziest feeling ever.

I was a bit bored in the first two chapters, but I have quickly realized that this book’s slow, gradual developments are something beautiful to behold.

I find myself curious what will happen nextbecause the events in this book are new and different from what happened in the Disney’s version of Beauty and the Beast. No library gift, no snowball fight, no “tale as old as time” dancing moment with THE yellow dress, etc.

There isn’t even a Gaston or
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
description

Another Beauty and the Beast retelling, of which there are myriad. This one has a few interesting twists, but -- reality check time here -- several major weaknesses as well, most of which are probably because this is an indie author who didn't get some editing help that she really could have used. It's a nice try, though, and the author has potential. It was okay for a Kindle freebie, but I came thisclose to skipping the longwinded, rather boring middle section of the book and jumping to the end
Treece
Rating: 4 1/2 stars

Witty, inventive and colorful, this fascinating rewind of La Belle et Beast was a delight. The servants echoed hints of Disney and Cocteau but with refreshing originality. There's court intrigue, beautiful architecture, elaborate rooms and rich food, all set inside a French chateau with a gorgeous backdrop of lush countryside. Severin and Elle are wonderful together and apart.

I would recommend this author --whose fairytales are amazing reworkings!-and this book to anyone who
Talltree
Okay fantasy read. I think the author needs polish or maybe this is an earlier work. Her plot twists, dialogue, pov inner dialogue need work.

First half was just okay, the supporting cast was better drawn out than the MCs. The second half was written better with the h turning out kickass( which I loved) but the H pulled d!(k move. The h should have kicked him/his servants where it hurt and moved to the next country!! Plus she didn't even let him grovel, that made me mad!

Safe romance but jerk H,
Minni Mouse
DNF at 6% because oh, nooo you don't, you thinly-veiled fan fiction.
Lili  Marcus
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elle, due to a small miscalculation, fell through the roof of a chateau. The accident broke her leg and so she has no choice but to stay in the chateau even if its owner isn't very happy about it. Prince Severin, the chateau owner, illegitimate prince, commanding general of the Crown Prince's army, is cursed to look like a beast until a maiden falls in love with him. But he'd already given up after several painful attempts in the matter. But his servants don't. And their hope ignited because of ...more
Darque  Dreamer
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: top-reads
Beauty and the Beast is a classic tale that has been re-written with enchantment and elegance. Kitty has done a fabulous job with keeping the faerie tale feel in her retelling, along with adding her own entertaining twists. Her take on this classic tale is rich and satisfying!

I loved the slower pace of this one. It allowed the story, and the love connection, to really flourish and grow, along with the whimsical characters. It wasn’t just “Belle and the Beast” that were developed here. I fell in
Kendra Ardnek
File this under "Beauty and the Beast retellings that Kendra didn't hate."

The romance was cute and the characters were fun, but the middle dragged painfully and the ending was rushed to the point of conclusion. Also, the way that the plot twist was handled is a peeve of mine, and I especially didn't like the way that this one was handled.

But, at least it did bring some interesting ideas to the table, and it wasn't retelling the Disney movie. Points for that.

Susana
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
2.5 Stars

You would think that by now I'd be sick and tired of retellings, but surprisingly enough this story was quite readable, until the Beast's transformation (oy) and despite an avalanche of grammatical mistakes.
I especially liked the attention given to the secondary characters and how the author was able to give a fresh face to both Beauty and The Beast.
Here, Beauty, a girl named Elle, literally comes crashing into the Beast's palace. There's a secret surrounding her...okay, not much of a s
J. W. Garrett
“Every man has a wild beast within him.” Frederick the Great

Formula for a Beauty and the Beast Fairy Tale: Enchanted Chateau; Cursed hero Prince; Cursed servants; Heroine’s bankrupt merchant father; Supporting said father and sisters; Only true love can/will break the curse; Magic. Check!

We now have the formula for another version of our classic tale Beauty and the Beast. Our prince was cursed and condemned to live as a beast both in body and mind. However, an Enchantress came along and tweaked
2.5 stars.

This wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. I appreciated that this tried to put a twist on the Disney version of this fairy tale (which is unfortunately the only one this reader knows). The period when the MCs was getting to know each other (i.e. the h was forcing the H to be friendly) was very cute and funny. I also enjoyed the fact that there was absolutely no OP drama and that it didn't seem like the H was a rake in his past. There weren't any mentions of his playboy ways, mistres
Rebekah
I don't remember how I came across this book but because of it I am not on a Beauty and the Beast frenzy and then found and got like 15 other beauty and the beast retellings!

This was a fun twist and certain aspects were definitely unique to the story!

I LOVED Elle the main character, I loved how strong she was as a character and I appreciated many aspects of her own story that you learn about later on in the book and how she came to be in the Chanceux Chateau (the cursed castle).

I loved the beast
bel
Dec 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
I would recommend this for a light read. I had fun reading it, and found the dialogue highly amusing. It was not an extremely thought provoking of emotionally provoking book. I found that the real emotion and the writing really peaked by the end of the book. I do wish that there would have been further exploration of this time frame within the book. Though the story follows the famed and predictable route of the famous tale Beauty and the Beast there were unique and insightful adjustments to the ...more
Tandie
I had some reservations about this B&tB retelling when Tadiana mentioned the lack of sexual tension. It's usually key in this story, the building attraction. The focus was more on the developing friendship between the MCs. The friendships between Prince Severin, his bro, the staff, and Elle were really quite good. I even loved the fat dog and the pony.

I didn't like the way things went after the curse was broken (if that was a spoiler, you're a dodo) and everyone gets all angry. Also, the ten ye
Tricia Mingerink
After reading The Snow Queen: Sacrifice over the weekend, I decided to go back and re-read the Timeless Fairytale books to find all the backstory references I missed the first time. Besides, it has been a while since I read all of these, so it was about time to re-read a few.

This is a clean, cute version of Beauty and the Beast. It has several surprises, and I love how Elle is far from being your typical damsel in distress. It is clean, no language or sexual content. Just an all around fun stor
Sunny
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I didn't expect much from this book, It was in my kindle list, and I have no idea when I added it. Needing a book to pass the time, I opened this one, and was quickly hooked! Despite "knowing" the general story, I found myself holding my breath and rooting for the characters. Elle (beauty) was an endearing character, strong and smart. I opened this book knowing nothing about the author or her style, but couldn't put it down!
Jamie (The Kansan Reader)
My edition: Kindle

Pages: 201

Series: Timeless Fairy Tales #1

Rating 4 stars

Review: This is a fairy tale of Beauty and the Beast retold. Obviously I know. I love Beauty an the Beast. It is my favorite all time fairy tale.

This one was a bit different. Elle (Beauty) falls through a glass skylight of Prince Severin's (Beast) castle. Elle survives the fall but with a broken leg and many cuts to her arms. The servants who are not furniture but are cursed to wear masks and have no voice plead with Severi
Bunnyk
Jul 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
Great idea for a book, the synopsis is good. However, the book's proofreading leaves something to be desired in places - I cannot help wondering what "a depilated looking bridge" would be like. I'm guessing there would be no hairy moments in crossing over!

The author can't seem to decide whether to refer to Our Hero as "the illegitimate prince" (what the heck? He's either illegitimate - and hence not a prince - or he's a prince) or "the prince" (see previous point!). And the lady's maid is "the
Julie Carpenter
This was a freebie I downloaded a while back and finally read and really enjoyed it. I'm excited to check out more by this author. I only read books that are clean with no sex scenes and really appreciate authors who write books without that content. This book was great and clean and a fairy tale retelling, one of my favorite genres! I've always been hooked on fairy tales since I was a little girl and would read, watch or listen to any version I could get my hands on. I'm sure my family were sic ...more
Christina
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!

I loved this retelling of Beauty and the Beast!!! The hero and heroine really came to life on the pages, and you can't help but fall in love with the supporting characters. I was shocked and surprised many times in the storyline as the author added so much more depth to the original tale. Definitely some cute romance as well, and I loved the gentle way they fell in love.
Kimberly Spanton
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Looooove!!!

I loved every single thing about this book. I was JUST looking for a Beauty and the Beast story for grown ups, and within a few weeks, my book club had chosen this book for our next read. I was so excited.
The one and only critique I have was that the transformation from beast seemed a little lacking in wonder. It seemed like it was rushed. Other than that, this is a new favorite of mine and I'll definitely be reading more from this author.
Jasey
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Well whaddya know? Still love it!

3rd or 4th time reading it. Still fabulous! Love the humour, plot, characters and use of language!
Still totally clean though ;)
Erudessa Aranduriel
This is such a grand story. Beauty and the Beast is my favorite fairy tale and this is an excellent re-telling. This re-read I read it to my younger siblings and they adored it.
Sheila Majczan
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While this was an interesting story it has little resemblance to the fairy tale other than the fact that a man has been turned into a beast and then that he must find love to be turned back. This man, Severn is the illegitimate half brother to Prince Lucien but they are friends, they love each other and Severn is in charge of the defense of their country. Severn throughout this story is attempting to persuade his brother not to wage war to take over a neighboring country.

Back to the curse Severn
Shash
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-challenges
I enjoyed this Beauty and the Beast retelling. It was a little slow at times, but picked up toward the end. I really liked the servants and their not-so-subtle desire for Elle and Severin to fall in love. I'm looking forward to reading more books in the series.
Rita Mariani
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5
TJ
Jan 08, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5/5.0

This one is really hard to rate! It is very well written but it is almost exactly like the original story! There is VERY little difference until the end. There is the twist of Elle’s background and the servants aren’t household items but... yep. With those exceptions, everything else follows almost exactly the one you see in movies.
It’s the ending that makes the re-reading of the original truly worth it. Now IT is original and creative! Although I strongly felt the servant-“friends” of E
Alexis Samson
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm in love.

This book was my first introduction to K.M. Shea's work. I was in the mood for fairytales, and I don't think it's overdramatic for me to say I hit the motherload.

This. Book. Was. Perfect. And if I decide on getting a third cat, he will be black and his name will be Severin.

Basically, as the title gives away, this is a retelling of Beauty and the Beast, but with a twist. First of all, no talking teacups or singing candelabra. And no self-important frenchman walking around boasting t
Scott-robert Shenkman
Dec 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"James" Bond, a Big Cat and a Royal Soap Opera...in 18th Century Dystopian Europe.

I love the Beauty and the Beast story. It can go two ways – if the “Beast” is physically scarred it will be heart-warming and touching, with lots of angst. If the Beast is…well, a beast, there is the opportunity for a lot of witty banter between “Belle” and “Beast”.

This falls into the latter. In fact, it was so witty at times I was laughing aloud. Started it at 7:00 PM and finished it at 3 AM. The possibility of sl

• A Bear's Bride (Entwined Tales, #3)
  • An Unnatural Beanstalk (Entwined Tales, #2)
  • A Beautiful Curse (Entwined Tales, #4)
  • A Little Mermaid (Entwined Tales, #5)
  • Princess of Secrets (Fairy Tale Adventures, #2)
  • Reflection (The Kingdom Chronicles, #4)
  • An Inconvenient Princess (Entwined Tales, #6)
  • Spelled (The Kingdom Chronicles, #2)
  • A Princess of Wind and Wave: A Retelling of The Little Mermaid (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #6)
  • The Secret Princess: A Retelling of The Goose Girl (Return to the Four Kingdoms, #1)
  • A Captive of Wing and Feather: A Retelling of Swan Lake (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #5)
  • Princess of Mermaids (Fairy Tale Adventures, #3)
  • Pathways (The Kingdom Chronicles, #1)
  • Princess of Shadows (Fairy Tale Adventures, #1)
  • Identity (The Kingdom Chronicles, #3)
  • A Tale of Beauty and Beast: A Retelling of Beauty and the Beast (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #2)
  • A Dream of Ebony and White: A Retelling of Snow White (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #4)
  • Happily Ever Afters: A Reimagining of Snow White and Rose Red (The Four Kingdoms, #2.5)
K.M. Shea is going progressively bald from pulling all of her hair out when she writes.

She has a BA in Print Journalism and a minor in Japanese. She's worked as a freelance reporter, a librarian, a blogger, and an author. She lives in the country with Perfect Dog.

Timeless Fairy Tales (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Wild Swans (Timeless Fairy Tales, #2)
  • Cinderella and the Colonel (Timeless Fairy Tales, #3)
  • Rumpelstiltskin (Timeless Fairy Tales, #4)
  • The Little Selkie (Timeless Fairy Tales, #5)
  • Puss in Boots (Timeless Fairy Tales, #6)
  • Swan Lake (Timeless Fairy Tales, #7)
  • Sleeping Beauty (Timeless Fairy Tales, #8)
  • The Frog Prince (Timeless Fairy Tales, #9)
  • The Twelve Dancing Princesses  (Timeless Fairy Tales, #10)
  • Snow White (Timeless Fairy Tales, #11)