Start by marking “Beauty and the Beast (Timeless Fairy Tales, #1)” as Want to Read:
Beauty and the Beast (Timeless Fairy Tales, #1)

Beauty and the Beast

(Timeless Fairy Tales #1)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  5,203 Ratings  ·  533 Reviews
Once upon a time Elle made a mistake. A small miscalculation sends her through the roof of an enchanted chateau. Stranded until her broken leg mends, Elle is unwillingly forced to rely on the good will of the sour chateau owner —the cursed Prince Severin.

Prince Severin—the commanding general and staunch supporter of his brother the crown prince—is cursed to look like a bea
Published December 15th 2013 by Take out the Trash (first published December 12th 2013)

Lola

Ah… another sweet fairytale retelling. I don’t think I could ever tire of them. Especially not Beauty and the Beast retells. They’re my favourites and, from my reading experience and personal tastes, the best ones there are out there.

I liked this. It’s light, it’s lovely and shimmering with magic and hope. I especially enjoyed seeing the alterations to the classic and how those modifications made the story feel like a novelty and like reading Beauty and the Beast for the first time. It made me r
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
description

Another Beauty and the Beast retelling, of which there are myriad. This one has a few interesting twists, but -- reality check time here -- several major weaknesses as well, most of which are probably because this is an indie author who didn't get some editing help that she really could have used. It's a nice try, though, and the author has potential. It was okay for a Kindle freebie, but I came thisclose to skipping the longwinded, rather boring middle section of the book and jumping to the end
Sharon
Reading this book gives me the coziest feeling ever.

I was a bit bored in the first two chapters, but I have quickly realized that this book’s slow, gradual developments are something beautiful to behold.

I find myself curious what will happen nextbecause the events in this book are new and different from what happened in the Disney’s version of Beauty and the Beast. No library gift, no snowball fight, no “tale as old as time” dancing moment with THE yellow dress, etc.

There isn’t even a Gaston or
Cait • A Page with a View
More like 3.5 stars. I can't really identify anything that I didn't like about this story, but I guess I didn't connect with it very well because I only finished it an hour ago and already forgot most of it. It was fine, though! Beauty & the Beast is one of my favorite fairy tales and I love pretty much any retelling. It stayed pretty true to the original, so it did get somewhat predictable. I've read more creative takes (like Cruel Beauty), but at the same time the writing was better here. ...more
Treece
Rating: 4 1/2 stars

Witty, inventive and colorful, this fascinating rewind of La Belle et Beast was a delight. The servants echoed hints of Disney and Cocteau but with refreshing originality. There's court intrigue, beautiful architecture, elaborate rooms and rich food, all set inside a French chateau with a gorgeous backdrop of lush countryside. Severin and Elle are wonderful together and apart.

I would recommend this author --whose fairytales are amazing reworkings!-and this book to anyone who
Talltree
Okay fantasy read. I think the author needs polish or maybe this is an earlier work. Her plot twists, dialogue, pov inner dialogue need work.

First half was just okay, the supporting cast was better drawn out than the MCs. The second half was written better with the h turning out kickass( which I loved) but the H pulled d!(k move. The h should have kicked him/his servants where it hurt and moved to the next country!! Plus she didn't even let him grovel, that made me mad!

Safe romance but jerk H,
Minni Mouse
DNF at 6% because oh, nooo you don't, you thinly-veiled fan fiction.
Susana
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
2.5 Stars

You would think that by now I'd be sick and tired of retellings, but surprisingly enough this story was quite readable, until the Beast's transformation (oy) and despite an avalanche of grammatical mistakes.
I especially liked the attention given to the secondary characters and how the author was able to give a fresh face to both Beauty and The Beast.
Here, Beauty, a girl named Elle, literally comes crashing into the Beast's palace. There's a secret surrounding her...okay, not much of a s
Lili  Marcus
Elle, due to a small miscalculation, fell through the roof of a chateau. The accident broke her leg and so she has no choice but to stay in the chateau even if its owner isn't very happy about it. Prince Severin, the chateau owner, illegitimate prince, commanding general of the Crown Prince's army, is cursed to look like a beast until a maiden falls in love with him. But he'd already given up after several painful attempts in the matter. But his servants don't. And their hope ignited because of ...more
Darque  Dreamer
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: top-reads
Beauty and the Beast is a classic tale that has been re-written with enchantment and elegance. Kitty has done a fabulous job with keeping the faerie tale feel in her retelling, along with adding her own entertaining twists. Her take on this classic tale is rich and satisfying!

I loved the slower pace of this one. It allowed the story, and the love connection, to really flourish and grow, along with the whimsical characters. It wasn’t just “Belle and the Beast” that were developed here. I fell in
Sunny
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I didn't expect much from this book, It was in my kindle list, and I have no idea when I added it. Needing a book to pass the time, I opened this one, and was quickly hooked! Despite "knowing" the general story, I found myself holding my breath and rooting for the characters. Elle (beauty) was an endearing character, strong and smart. I opened this book knowing nothing about the author or her style, but couldn't put it down!
J. W. Garrett
“Every man has a wild beast within him.” Frederick the Great

Formula for a Beauty and the Beast Fairy Tale: Enchanted Chateau; Cursed hero Prince; Cursed servants; Heroine’s bankrupt merchant father; Supporting said father and sisters; Only true love can/will break the curse; Magic. Check!

We now have the formula for another version of our classic tale Beauty and the Beast. Our prince was cursed and condemned to live as a beast both in body and mind. However, an Enchantress came along and tweaked
2.5 stars.

This wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. I appreciated that this tried to put a twist on the Disney version of this fairy tale (which is unfortunately the only one this reader knows). The period when the MCs was getting to know each other (i.e. the h was forcing the H to be friendly) was very cute and funny. I also enjoyed the fact that there was absolutely no OP drama and that it didn't seem like the H was a rake in his past. There weren't any mentions of his playboy ways, mistres
Rebekah
I don't remember how I came across this book but because of it I am not on a Beauty and the Beast frenzy and then found and got like 15 other beauty and the beast retellings!

This was a fun twist and certain aspects were definitely unique to the story!

I LOVED Elle the main character, I loved how strong she was as a character and I appreciated many aspects of her own story that you learn about later on in the book and how she came to be in the Chanceux Chateau (the cursed castle).

I loved the beast
belle
Dec 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
I would recommend this for a light read. I had fun reading it, and found the dialogue highly amusing. It was not an extremely thought provoking of emotionally provoking book. I found that the real emotion and the writing really peaked by the end of the book. I do wish that there would have been further exploration of this time frame within the book. Though the story follows the famed and predictable route of the famous tale Beauty and the Beast there were unique and insightful adjustments to the ...more
Tandie
I had some reservations about this B&tB retelling when Tadiana mentioned the lack of sexual tension. It's usually key in this story, the building attraction. The focus was more on the developing friendship between the MCs. The friendships between Prince Severin, his bro, the staff, and Elle were really quite good. I even loved the fat dog and the pony.

I didn't like the way things went after the curse was broken (if that was a spoiler, you're a dodo) and everyone gets all angry. Also, the te
Tricia Mingerink
Oct 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
After reading The Snow Queen: Sacrifice over the weekend, I decided to go back and re-read the Timeless Fairytale books to find all the backstory references I missed the first time. Besides, it has been a while since I read all of these, so it was about time to re-read a few.

This is a clean, cute version of Beauty and the Beast. It has several surprises, and I love how Elle is far from being your typical damsel in distress. It is clean, no language or sexual content. Just an all around fun stor
Jamie (The Kansan Reader)
My edition: Kindle

Pages: 201

Series: Timeless Fairy Tales #1

Rating 4 stars

Review: This is a fairy tale of Beauty and the Beast retold. Obviously I know. I love Beauty an the Beast. It is my favorite all time fairy tale.

This one was a bit different. Elle (Beauty) falls through a glass skylight of Prince Severin's (Beast) castle. Elle survives the fall but with a broken leg and many cuts to her arms. The servants who are not furniture but are cursed to wear masks and have no voice plead with Severi
Bunnyk
Jul 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
Great idea for a book, the synopsis is good. However, the book's proofreading leaves something to be desired in places - I cannot help wondering what "a depilated looking bridge" would be like. I'm guessing there would be no hairy moments in crossing over!

The author can't seem to decide whether to refer to Our Hero as "the illegitimate prince" (what the heck? He's either illegitimate - and hence not a prince - or he's a prince) or "the prince" (see previous point!). And the lady's maid is "the
Christina
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!

I loved this retelling of Beauty and the Beast!!! The hero and heroine really came to life on the pages, and you can't help but fall in love with the supporting characters. I was shocked and surprised many times in the storyline as the author added so much more depth to the original tale. Definitely some cute romance as well, and I loved the gentle way they fell in love.
Kimberly Spanton
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Looooove!!!

I loved every single thing about this book. I was JUST looking for a Beauty and the Beast story for grown ups, and within a few weeks, my book club had chosen this book for our next read. I was so excited.
The one and only critique I have was that the transformation from beast seemed a little lacking in wonder. It seemed like it was rushed. Other than that, this is a new favorite of mine and I'll definitely be reading more from this author.
Erudessa Aranduriel
This is such a grand story. Beauty and the Beast is my favorite fairy tale and this is an excellent re-telling. This re-read I read it to my younger siblings and they adored it.
Shash
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this Beauty and the Beast retelling. It was a little slow at times, but picked up toward the end. I really liked the servants and their not-so-subtle desire for Elle and Severin to fall in love. I'm looking forward to reading more books in the series.
Rita Mariani
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5
TJ
Jan 08, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5/5.0

This one is really hard to rate! It is very well written but it is almost exactly like the original story! There is VERY little difference until the end. There is the twist of Elle’s background and the servants aren’t household items but... yep. With those exceptions, everything else follows almost exactly the one you see in movies.
It’s the ending that makes the re-reading of the original truly worth it. Now IT is original and creative! Although I strongly felt the servant-“friends” of E
Brendy
Jul 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fairy-tale-like
Awwwww!!
I was pretty much sure that this one would bore me very fast, but I have to say that after the first half of the book, everything goes smoothly.
The story itself is, of course about a cursed prince- but this one is an illegitimate prince- who lives isolated in a Chateau with all his also cursed servants- but no, they are not turned into animated living objects as Disney version made us think<- and about a Beauty-i> which in this case is not a damsel in distress: well not by far at
Scott-robert Shenkman
Dec 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"James" Bond, a Big Cat and a Royal Soap Opera...in 18th Century Dystopian Europe.

I love the Beauty and the Beast story. It can go two ways – if the “Beast” is physically scarred it will be heart-warming and touching, with lots of angst. If the Beast is…well, a beast, there is the opportunity for a lot of witty banter between “Belle” and “Beast”.

This falls into the latter. In fact, it was so witty at times I was laughing aloud. Started it at 7:00 PM and finished it at 3 AM. The possibility of sl
Sans
Oct 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was fun. A lot of fun. One of the best fairytale retellings I've read in a long time (if not ever). I especially enjoyed the fun titles Sererin's servants gave him, all in affection. My only complaint is that instead of any internal monologue, Elle and Severin would start talking out loud. To themselves. Once or twice, I could ignore it. But any time they were thinking...it was out loud. It was ignorable, but it detracted a teensy bit for me.
Hollie
Feb 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
started really slow but got better

~3.5 stars~

This turned out to be a sweet fairytale retelling. I have to say though, it started out really slow and I almost discontinued reading a couple of times. I'm glad I didn't. It was a charming in a PG sort of way.
Mandapanda
Nov 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
3.5 stars. Nice interpretation of Beauty and the Beast. The penultimate conflict that drove the MCs apart lacked credibility and shook me out of the story but otherwise an enjoyable way to pass the time.
  • The Fire King
  • The Scarecrow King
  • The Eye of the Beholder (Fairytale Collection #1)
  • Beautiful Beast (Enchanted Fairytales, #1)
  • Cinderella (Faerie Tale Collection, #4)
  • Captive Cowboy (Captured Hearts, #2)
  • Beautiful Salvation (Blood Prince, #5)
  • A Bed of Thorns and Roses
  • Thorn
  • Dragon Rose (Tales of the Latter Kingdoms, #2)
  • The Beast (The Hunter Legends, #1)
  • The Beauty's Beast (Beauty's Beast #2)
  • Entreat Me
  • Clay's Hope (Judgement of the Six Companion Series, #1)
  • Beast in Shining Armor (A Kinda Fairytale, #2)
  • Becoming Beauty
  • A White So Red
K.M. Shea is going progressively bald from pulling all of her hair out when she writes.

She has a BA in Print Journalism and a minor in Japanese. She's worked as a freelance reporter, a librarian, a blogger, and an author. She lives in the country with Perfect Dog.

Timeless Fairy Tales (10 books)
  • The Wild Swans (Timeless Fairy Tales, #2)
  • Cinderella and the Colonel (Timeless Fairy Tales, #3)
  • Rumpelstiltskin (Timeless Fairy Tales, #4)
  • The Little Selkie (Timeless Fairy Tales, #5)
  • Puss in Boots (Timeless Fairy Tales, #6)
  • Swan Lake (Timeless Fairy Tales, #7)
  • Sleeping Beauty (Timeless Fairy Tales, #8)
  • The Frog Prince (Timeless Fairy Tales, #9)
  • The Twelve Dancing Princesses  (Timeless Fairy Tales, #10)
“young maidens now days get misty eyed thinking about true love and the fathomless adoration you will share. It’s not like that. Real love is looking at someone and knowing that you wouldn’t mind waking up to their bad breath for the next century, and you are fine with them seeing you before you brush your hair and fix your face for the day.” 33 likes
“What is love but friendship set on fire?” 30 likes