Start by marking “Batman Black and White Vol. 3” as Want to Read:
Batman Black and White Vol. 3

Batman Black and White Vol. 3 (Batman: Black and White #3)

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  386 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
This spectacular volume collecting stories from BATMAN: GOTHAM KNIGHTS #17-49 is offered at DC's standard trim size!
Published (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Batman Black and White Vol. 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Batman Black and White Vol. 3

Blindzider
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Not much I liked in this volume. Brubaker's and Geoff Johns' stories were the only really good ones. I did enjoy the bonus section which showed some of the sketches for the Black and White statues that have been done.
Mina Villalobos
There are some really good stories in this book -young Bruce talking with the spirit of the Bat in the cave, Batman finding the remains of a lost girl in the subway, the ghost of Jason Todd with super cute art, gargoyles, crazy architecture, escape artists, seedy bars, redemption stories- but there are also a bunch of very weird, or very boring stories. I guess the ratio was pretty good for me, I read more good stories than bad ones, and thus enjoyed the trade a lot. Lots of bits of insight into ...more
Mark
Jun 07, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Batman fans ONLY
Not sure why I keep reading these, as I haven't had a good opinion of one yet.

I think the problem is the format - the 8 page story works when it's wordless or simply told, but many of these stories try to jam too much into the pages. There are some bright points (a Bill Wray story about a Batman statue is good) but so much of what is here is just 10 lbs of the same ol' "Batman as a tortured soul" shoved into the 5 lb sack of the format.

There's also the problem of artists showing off rather than
Feather Mista
No sé si me faltará alguna historia, pero por lo que vi ojeando el tomo, todos estos capítulos los tengo y lo leí en los complementos a ala edición argentina de Batman que sacó Sticker Design hace unos cuantos años. Si lo corroboro, debería ownear a copy.
Naufri
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Una recopilación de historias cortas sobre Batman y su ciudad, Gotham, con la particularidad de que todas ellas son en blanco y negro. La mayoría tienen un guión acertado y elocuente, y unos trazos que están a la altura, cada una con el sello característico de su autor. Contando historias sueltas sin relación entre ellas, tratan sobre el caballero oscuro o sobre cualquiera de los tantos personajes secundarios que conviven con él en esa ciudad maldita.

Ha logrado que me interese completar esta cur
Reyel2107
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
great but not the prime of the others !!!
Aaron
Aug 06, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having now read all three volumes of Batman Black & White, I feel it's safe to say that this is the strongest of them all. The writers and artists in this collection take the strongest advantage of the short story length, focusing often on one new or otherwise minor character and telling a very brief, personal story, or just using the visuals to punch out some really quick, compelling superheroics. Still, the volume is dragged down by an overabundance of boring, mediocre, and sometimes atroc ...more
Steven Shinder
Aug 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
M
Mar 30, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The black-and-white tales of the Dark Knight reach a third volume, sharing creative takes on the Batman in simple and stark illustrative styles. While some stories focus on the nightly routines of Gotham's protector, others stand out and take unique chances. Mick McMahon pens an oddball tale about Gotham's "weighty" problems, using puns and exaggerated artistry to craft his contribution. Batgirl's day and night routine are juxtaposed in Mike Carlin's contribution, relying heavily on the animated ...more
Cale
Jul 16, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The longer this series goes, the lower the overall quality of collected stories gets. This collection actually includes a story where a never-seen creature is sucking the fat out of people, and a story where Batman takes a baby with him while attacking a factory removing guns from pinatas. Those are actual plots in this collection. And the overall quality of the artwork has taken a nose dive as well; there are highlights (the tourists guide to Gotham has some nice artwork between its articles, a ...more
Joel
Aug 19, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: batbooks
The Batman: Black and White series is overall very good. Volume 3, though, is the weakest of the lot (my rating, fairly or not, is based in part on the expectation built by having already read volumes 1, 2, and 4).

The stories in this one are much more homogeneous than the other editions with many addressing the same themes. It is Batman so, while there are only so many places one might be able to go, the others really do provide excellent and much more well-rounded approaches. Too many of the cr
Brad
Mar 10, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Vol 1 was the best of this series and they've gotten progressively worse to this point. This one is far too long, overstaying its welcome by about 70 pages.

While I don't doubt that some of these writers may be brilliant, the limitation of so few pages allotted equates to most of the stories being too spare or too cramped or too rushed. For the most part, this collection was pretty forgettable, no thanks to the format of very short stories.

My favorite of these stories is "No Escape" (view spoile
Edward Petersen
As usual, some stories are good, some are mediocre, and some are barely readable. I skipped at least half of this book because either the story was not compelling by the third page or the artwork was bad or hard to follow. And these are short stories, so to not read the back-three of a six page story says a lot. But one or two are true gems, so if you can grab it from the local library, as I did, it's worth a read. But don't spend money on it.
Tess
I love these Batman short comics because there are such a wide variety of Batman "visions." Some focus on the early cartoony tights and caped hero, while others are very dark looks at who and what Batman really is.

Two bad things - The good stories are really good and I always wish they would be longer, and the bad ones are boring. I liked more of the stories in Black & White Vol. 1 than I did in Vol. 3.
Jan 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic_novels
A mixed bag as these tend to go- a ton of amazing art, but the stories were sort of all over the place. There were some awesome ones ("Sunrise" was probably my favorite) and some really cracked ones, and some in between. But it's always fascinating to see all the variations of the concept of Batman.
Cesar Gerardo
Like all of the Batman black and white books, it is cool but it leaves you hoping for more. Its a great experiment that shows a lot of different batmans wich I find great, but none of the stories are good enough because theyre too short. I recomend this book more for the illustrations than for the stories. PD: A lot of big shot talents involved ...more
anthony e.
Jun 03, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
By the end of this trilogy of books, I was totally annoyed and exhausted with what proved to be the most cliched, redundant example of useless comic story-telling I have ever encountered. Fitting, then, that it's under a Frank Miller cover, as his work is indicative of the most cliched, redundant comic story-telling around.

Seriously, a waste of my f**king time.
Ryan Mishap
Apr 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Yes! Scored all three of these used at the Book Bin up in Salem. This one is just as good as the others. Something for everyone. I wish more people would do black and white comics. I think the entire Sandman series should be done over without those garish colors, that would be cool.
Larakaa
Sep 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A ton of Batman short stories, all in different styles and voices and all in black and white! Of course, not every single one of those is my cup of tea but I liked most of them.

One thing that bugs me though: Out of over 30 creators, only 3 are women. :(
Lauren
Feb 06, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
almost always good stories, some were great. It would just have been a more effective comic if the stories weren't clumped together one after the other
Michael
Closer to 3 and 1/2 stars.
Twan
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
"Holy mixed bag of short stories, Batman!"

"Shut up, Robin. Nobody even likes you because you're shit like this book. "
John Plaski
Nov 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five word summary: Wonderfully diverse and entertaining material.
Alex Brown
Jan 28, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dc
A lot like volume 1 and 2, nothing spectacular but still pretty good. Personally there are better batman books you could get though.
Gabrielle.
I love the dynamic of putting a short stories on a volumen. I love the idea, and I loved some thought it's the same, other stories just really got me bored.
Brandon Forsyth
This volume is nowhere near the quality of the previous outings, sadly.
Jesus
Un enfoque diferente del Batman de toda la vida.
Kohl
Jun 16, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A few gems, but a majority were incomprehensible.
Darnia
I've read the whole four volumes of this Batman's series. Seemed like read an anthology of Flash Fictions with one theme :)

I love this series. No doubt!
David
Feb 12, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: batman
The statues and sketches gallery was exceptional. Vignettes were thoughtful / character exploration.
  • Batman: Private Casebook
  • Batman International
  • Batman: Nosferatu
  • Batman: Faces
  • Batman: Jekyll and Hyde
  • The Dark Horse Book of the Dead (The Dark Horse Book of..., #3)
  • Superman & Batman: Generations 2, An Imaginary Tale (Elseworlds)
  • Superman/Batman, Vol. 11: Worship
  • Batman: Joker's Asylum
  • Batman: Thrillkiller
  • Batman: Snow
  • Batman: No Man's Land, Vol. 4
  • Batman/Two-Face/Scarecrow: Year One
  • Batman: Year 100
Mark Chiarello was born on Halloween in 1960. His book "Heroes of the Negro Leagues" (Abrams Publishing) was named the second best sports book of 2007 by Amazon.com. A graduate of Pratt Institute in Brooklyn, NY, Mark was fortunate enough to have as roommates, Kent Williams, John Van Fleet, and George Pratt. He worked as an illustrator for DisneyWorld for a short time in the 1980’s, then went on t ...more
More about Mark Chiarello...

Batman: Black and White (4 books)
  • Batman: Black and White (Batman: Black and White #1)
  • Batman Black and White, Vol. 2