Start by marking “Silent in the Sanctuary (Lady Julia Grey, #2)” as Want to Read:
Silent in the Sanctuary (Lady Julia Grey, #2)

Silent in the Sanctuary

(Lady Julia Grey #2)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  12,701 ratings  ·  1,010 reviews
Fresh from a six-month sojourn in Italy, Lady Julia returns home to Sussex to find her father's estate crowded with family and friends— but dark deeds are afoot at the deconsecrated abbey, and a murderer roams the ancient cloisters.

Much to her surprise, the one man she had hoped to forget—the enigmatic and compelling Nicholas Brisbane—is among her father's houseguests… an
Published 2008 by Mira (first published December 28th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Silent in the Sanctuary, please sign up.
Lindsay I would say no. There are many references to things that happened in the first novel in this one, and I think it would lessen the reading experience.

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
I'd been sitting on this book, as well as the third book in this series, for a month. Then I got a notice from the library that they're due in a couple of days, tried to renew them for another month, got turned down flat because someone else has requested them, and panicked because I wasn't prepared to wait a month or two to get them back again. So I read this in one day, and I might do the same with Book #3.

This Victorian-era murder mystery gets a mixed verdict from me. I enjoy the characters a
Angie
Sep 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Given how much I loved Silent in the Grave, I felt a tingle of thrill and anxiety as I cracked open the sequel. The first book had what I consider to be a "perfect" ending. I couldn't have asked for more and wouldn't have wished it different in any way. Such endings are rare and to find one at the end of the first book in a series is rarer still. So, could Silent in the Sanctuary live up to its predecessor? I really, really hoped it could.

The second volume picks up several months after the end
Felicia
Feb 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Oooh goodness, I love this series! A nice break from the urban fantasy jag I've been on. I started reading it in England and the lovely characters and sheer Britishness of it really made my trip fuller. I love the mysteries, however simple they are, and the tone of the book, the sense of humor and the tormented hero Brisbane. Lady Julia is a wonderful heroine, smart and snappy.
_inbetween_
Apr 05, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommended to _inbetween_ by: alex
I can't stand that woman. I tried. She should be a favourite, but Lady Julia Grey isn't just too Mary Sue (see author's photo) but a priviledged bitch with nine awesome siblings and one awesome rich father, so Brisbane has to be put down for his one kiss (still not described, while Julia being kissed by a few others in the meantime always was - and while I'm bored with purple prose, SOMETHING would have been preferable rather than the feeling a whole paragraph was missing), and Brisbane's bride ...more
Pepa
NO ES UNA NOVELA ROMANTICA que es lo que me gusta leer, por eso aclaro que puede que otra persona le de una puntuación mucho mayor
Me gustó más el primero. Aunque el misterio está mejor y me ha pillado menos prevenida, ha sido una sorpresa a medias. Admito que desde un primer momento estaba convencida de que había sido uno de los personajes y, no andaba mal encaminada.. pero no he acertado al 100%
Eso me gusta, justo leo suspense por eso, me gusta que me mantengan entretenida y alerta con la int
Snooty1
So I liked it...but I found myself skimming quite a bit. It felt like half the book was over before someone even died!
And I AM NOT getting the romance aspect of this...I realize that SHE seems to be certain that he is into her, but I am not getting that vibe. Other than looking at her intently he is giving off some bad signals. Mostly the NEVER contacting you part. This is not sexy behavior.
...and I'm sorry...if you are falling all over yourself trying to get me to NOT fall in love with you...t
Alba Turunen
5 Estrellitas. Cuando pensé que sólo el primer libro estaría bien, y el resto serían para rellenar, me he dado cuenta de que no podía estar más equivocada. ¡Qué tensión ha habido durante toda ésta novela! El primer libro fue muy bueno, con una trama muy bien pensada y trabajada, pero a pesar de ello no deja de ser una introducción en la vida y el amor de Lady Julia Grey.

Tras lo que ocurrió en la primera novela, Lady Julia por fin ha cumplido su deseo de visitar Italia, ha pasado unos meses estup
Ceki
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: historical, mystery
What was only slightly irritating in the first book became a huge let-down in this one.

Nicholas Brisbane hasn't changed at all, he is still the same mysterious figure who doesn't want to let anyone get a glimpse of his real self, especially Julia. He acts like an asshole to her and conceals anything he knows about the case. But what enrages me the most is that the author hasn't developed his character until now at all, he is still portrayed as an omnipotent man who knows everything but we never
Chelsea
Sep 24, 2007 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy the main character - Lady Julia Grey. I'm not a big fan of mysteries, and I'm more than willing to admit to being a snob when it comes to the excess of bad mystery series available today, but I really enjoyed this.

The mystery itself isn't as twisted as in the first book, Silent in the Grave, but the characters, especially the supporting ones, are more fun this time around.

Lady Julia is from a family of infamous crazies and rogues and scandal makers, and it doesn't much phase her.
Allison (The Allure of Books)
I have never read a series where I felt more like the whole series could have been read all through as one (huge, though it would be) book. The chemistry didn't falter and the characters didn't lose ANY of their appeal in this sequel, which so often happens in series.

The mysteries are good--sometimes the broader parts of the crimes aren't terribly hard to guess, but there are always smaller intrigues mixed in, and I don't think it would be possible to solve each and every one of them, so I think
Holly
Nov 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
I enjoyed this one so much more than the first in the series. I enjoyed the mystery, the camaraderie of the March family, and Lady Julia. Deanna Raybourn's writing is fantastic. She really knows how to set a scene and describe it so well that it truly feels like you are right there in Victorian England.
ScottK
Dec 18, 2007 rated it really liked it
Took me a bit longer to get into than Silent in the Grave but I did finally get into it. I think part of the problem wiht this book is she brought in way too many new characters right away, then had to give them all a backstory so we would like them,or at least feel comiserate with them. The actual murder doesn't take place until almost the halfway mark. Having said that, I will say that I love her characters, the new as well as the old stand bys, and am glad that alot of the same people are in ...more
Noelia
Reseña completa

De estructura similar a "Me enamoré de un lord" de Katharine Ashe, pero con una historia de misterio mucho más elaborada, supone el reencuentro de Julia y Brisbane durante una fiesta en la que aparece un cuerpo y deben colaborar para esclarecer el caso entre mentiras, secretos, celos y un ambiente muy cerrado.
Thenia
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lady Julia Grey's adventures continue, picking up six months after the end of the previous book.

After discovering the truth about her late husband and his death Julia has been travelling in Italy in company of two of her brothers, when their father summons them home after learning that one of the two got married. The siblings, along with a new acquaintance that seems to have developed feelings for Julia, are preparing to go home with various degrees of excitement.

The last person Julia expects to
Rebecca

3 to 3.5 STARS

I liked this one but not as much as the first book. It seemed to be slower paced and the ending events felt like an episode of Scooby-Doo. To be fair, I probably should not be reading this series so close Sebastian St. Cyr. That series is amazing and on a much higher level than this one. However, I adore this quirky and over the top family and all their antics.

I will definitely
Hannah
Feb 19, 2016 rated it liked it
I had problems with a few things in Silent in the Grave, particularly the rampant anachronisms, but I found the mystery and characters interesting nevertheless. Unfortunately, I can't even say that for the second book - the mystery was surprisingly dull and while I still like the some of the Marches (one star of the rating is for Papa March alone), Julia herself seems to have confused being rude and full of attitude with having strength of character.

There's a big deal made about the old custom
Juliana Philippa
May 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Readers of the Lady Julia series, not good as a stand-alone
Didn't live up to Book 1; enjoyable and necessary if you're reading the series, but a little disappointing

I unfortunately did not enjoy this book as much as I did the first one. It was something of a disappointment after Silent in the Grave , which I had so very much enjoyed, and a surprise, since the overall ratings for this book were higher than the first one. I wasn't as taken with our main characters, I didn't find the mystery as compelling, and whereas the first book had me literally laugh
Hannah
Jun 28, 2010 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Insomniacs
Recommended to Hannah by: Hanneybean
Shelves: 2010-reads, mysteries
#2 in the series was marginally better then the debut novel, but the same problems inherent in the first were still present and irritating here, IMO. (If you are at all interested, see my 1 star review of Silent in the Grave. The only thing propping this one up to 2 stars was a better mystery plotline.

I'll gladly pass on any further "adventures" of Lady Julia and Brisbane.
Keri
Jul 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I wish I had the 3rd book in hand. This series has been so surprising with the moments of dry humor and the funny moments between Morag and Julia. The side characters really made this book.
Lindsay
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I don't have much to say that differs from my review in the first title in this series. Julia is quickly becoming one of my absolute favorite characters to read about. I just feel like she thinks and acts very much like I do, which isn't to say that she always makes the right decision or behaves sensibly. She doesn't. But I like her all the better for being slightly flawed.

I can honestly say that the mystery here twisted enough to surprise me. I thought everything came together quite n
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
I've only read the first two books in the Veronica Speedwell series, but I already know I love this series more, despite their similarities. The mysteries in each book, the writing, the full scope of the story were all reminiscent of Sherry Thomas' Lady Sherlock series, an absolute favorite of mine, which made me love these books even more. I'm already almost done with Silent on the Moor, which is the third book in the Lady Julia Grey series, and I can't wait to pick up the next one!
Penny Watson
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Raybourn hits all the high notes with this book. I can't wait to read the next one.

She has the perfect balance of humor, plot, excellent writing, spots of eerie gothic creepiness.

But the shining stars are the characters, who are plentiful, entertaining, engaging.

Her subtle humor and exquisite dialogue might be my favorite part of the series. Lovely!

Grade: A
Krista D
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was way more entertaining than the first book. I love the March family.
Kusanagi
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Si le premier tome avec son atmosphère de deuil victorien avait des allures gothiques, ce second opus des aventures de Lady Julia Grey et Nicholas Brisbane (ainsi que la délicieuse famille March ^^) a plus des allure de Godsford Park qui rencontre Cluedo en passant par Agatha Christie ^^

On retrouve notre héroïne qui a gagné en caractère, normal, puisqu'elle a trouvé un but à sa vie: enquêter. Au péril de sa vie parfois, mais surtout en risquant souvent de mettre les pieds dans le plat.... ou de
Gina
Sep 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
This second book of the Lady Julia mystery series picks up just 4 months after the end of book 1. Julia Grey is visiting her brothers in Italy when a summons from their father brings them all home for Christmas. I had a hard time getting into this one at first. Almost the first 1/4 of the book is filled with the travel to England, family relationships, and general character drama. The humor and secondary characters kept me reading, but it wasn't until the murder investigation begins that it pick ...more
MRB
Nov 02, 2013 rated it liked it
As so often happens when reading historical romantic mysteries, I think my love of both the historical romance and mystery genres raised my hopes so high that disappointment was the inevitable result. I've heard such raves about this author, and while I certainly found her writing competent (sadly, that's not a given these days and hence worth mentioning!), I was disappointed by how relatively dull this novel was. The vibrancy, humor, emotional poignancy and sharp insight that elevate books of a ...more
Jeanette
Jan 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I have decided to rate books like my 10 year old son. If he really likes it, he gives it five stars. He doesn't pick books apart and find tiny things wrong with them.

I really liked this book. I even enjoyed it more than the first one. No, I don't know how historically accurate it was, but I don't care because I liked it! The mystery wasn't particularly engaging, but there was more of a mystery than in the first book. I love reading about Lady Julia and her eccentric family. It makes me want to
Carolyn F.
Re-read by audiobook. I also have the paperback.

I read this years ago and remembered why I didn't finish up with the series. Nicholas is playing some kind of game or Julia is just way too desperate. If they were meant to be together, would it be so hard for him to stay in the same room with her? And the ending just made me cringe. This man just doesn't want you around and I felt humiliated for her that she would just keep throwing herself at someone. Shouldn't he make more of an effort? I'm hopi
Christy
Jun 30, 2012 rated it liked it
More like 2.5 stars for me

This is a re-listen for me. I love the narration of these books and the cast of characters and setting, but this one is not nearly as good as the first in the series. Lady Julia acts like a nitwit so often, she drove me crazy.

(view spoiler)
Mandy
Aug 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Hooray! Actual mystery solving! That’s what the first book was really missing. Investigation! I really enjoyed the Clue like setting with a murder at a house party. The mystery part of the story is really entertaining.

This series is definitely character driven. The crazy March family and their interactions are super fun. I think I might like the family better than Julia. Raybourn writes some really fantastic one liners, too.

One thing that really bugs me is how Julia is portrayed as the bumblin
  • A Poisoned Season (Lady Emily, #2)
  • Why Mermaids Sing (Sebastian St. Cyr, #3)
  • A Grave Matter (Lady Darby Mystery #3)
  • India Black and the Widow of Windsor (Madam of Espionage, #2)
  • Beneath a Silent Moon
  • Whom the Gods Love (Julian Kestrel Mysteries, #3)
  • Petty Treason (Sarah Tolerance, #2)
New York Times and USA Today bestselling novelist Deanna Raybourn is a 6th-generation native Texan. She graduated with a double major in English and history from the University of Texas at San Antonio. Married to her college sweetheart and the mother of one, Raybourn makes her home in Virginia. Her novels have been nominated for numerous awards including five RITAs, two RT Reviewers’ Choice awards ...more

Lady Julia Grey (5 books)
  • Silent in the Grave (Lady Julia Grey, #1)
  • Silent on the Moor (Lady Julia Grey, #3)
  • Dark Road to Darjeeling (Lady Julia Grey, #4)
  • The Dark Enquiry (Lady Julia Grey, #5)
“I would give up everything for you, Giulia"
I smiled at him gently. "But you must understand. I should never want a man to give up anything for me. I should want him to feel in winning me he has won the whole world...”
26 likes
“Now I was more certain than ever of my decision. I could not love a man who did not love Jane Austen.” 24 likes