Start by marking “The Return of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Return of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #6)

The Return of Sherlock Holmes

(Sherlock Holmes #6)

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  48,097 ratings  ·  1,275 reviews
'Holmes,' I cried. 'Is it really you? Can it indeed be that you are alive? Is it possible that you succeeded in climbing out of that awful abyss?'

Hardcover, The Oxford Sherlock Holmes, 455 pages
Published October 28th 1993 by Oxford University Press (first published March 7th 1905)

To ask other readers questions about The Return of Sherlock Holmes, please sign up.
Lisa You can get this book free at gutenberg.org. I get all classics from that site.

·  48,097 ratings  ·  1,275 reviews

Jayson
(A) 85% | Extraordinary
Notes: All in all, a volume without a real stand-out story, but the most consistently good of the short story collections so far.
Aishu Rehman
The Return of Sherlock Holmes collects thirteen short stories featuring the famous detective, all supposedly written and published by John Watson, his best friend, roommate, and confidante. (With a disappearing wife.) After the events of “The Adventure of the Final Problem”, Holmes returns, in dramatic fashion, and the two set out to solve crimes all over London, from theft to blackmail to international espionage.

While I have plenty more to say about the “I Believe in Sherlock” movem
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Return of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #6), Arthur Conan Doyle
The Return of Sherlock Holmes is a collection of 13 Sherlock Holmes stories, originally published in 1903-1904, by Arthur Conan Doyle. Missing, presumed dead, for three years, Sherlock Holmes returns triumphantly to his dear companion Dr Watson. And not before time! London has never been in more need of his extraordinary services: a murderous individual with an air gun stalks the city. Among thirteen further brilliant tales
Lori
Mar 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It would probably have been better if I had spaced these out instead of reading one right after the other. That bit at the crater, had me shaking my head at Preston and Child. Must be a kind of complement or loving homage.
Steven Walle
May 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a great collection of thirteen Sherlock Holmes detective stories. These occur after Sherlock supposibley dies in the last collection. The author was under a lot of pressure to revive Sherlock Holmes and masterfully does in this volume.
Enjoy and Be Blessed.
Diamond
Werner
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of short format, traditional mysteries
Shelves: books-i-own
June 29, 2019
Collecting 13 Sherlock Holmes tales which originally appeared in The Strand magazine from Oct. 1903 to Jan. 1905, and published in book form in 1905, this is the third of Doyle's five story collections featuring Holmes, the second one being the one I recently reviewed, The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes. Indeed, the lead story here, "The Adventure of the Empty House," is essentially a sequel to the last story in the previous collection, "The Adventure of the Final Problem." (In all of these co
Kenchiin
Mar 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classic-mystery
Quality varies among the different short stories, but overall... a pleasure to read.
Piyangie
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sherlock Holmes has not died after all! :) That was a very happy development. I was hoping he would somehow return (from the dead) given the title of this collection. At the same time I also entertained the idea that perhaps this collection refers to the cases before his supposed death. All was cleared in The Adventure of the Empty House , when Holmes makes a dramatic re-entry scaring the poor Doctor Watson out of his wits.

With his return, Sherlock Holmes brings to us (through Dr. Watson's chr
K.D. Absolutely
Jun 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
Recommended to K.D. by: Apokripos
I know now why this collection of 13 short stories is called “The Return..” In the last story of “Memoirs” entitled The Final Problem, Watson says that Holmes has retired and will no longer publish new stories. Now in real life, between that story which was published in 1893 and 1903, the period called by Sherlock fans as “The Great Hiatus,” Sir Arthur Conan Doyle only wrote his third novel, The Hound of the Baskervilles (said to be his greatest novel). So, while writing the first story of the collection, Doyle was ...more
Wanda
***The Summer of Sherlock 2019***

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle may have been reluctant to raise Sherlock Holmes from the dead, but he certainly provided some entertaining stories after his sudden return.

I confess that I was quite chuffed when I had figured out what was going on in The Adventure of the Six Napoleons before the great detective was ready to reveal the motivation of the criminal. And I still have some nagging memories concerning The Adventure of Charles Augustus Milverton, as I am sure that I have pre
RJ
Jun 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
NOTE: Original review magically deleted by nefarious internet forces

The sixth installment of the Holmes series, and the third collection of short stories, tells of Holmes' survival from his apparent fate in The Adventure of the Final Problem. Doyle's writing style has noticably improved since the prior short story collection, and the plot ideas, which had grown quite stale, are generally more creative although there is still a heavy reliance on "someone's past comes back to haunt them."

The Adventure o
Saadia B. || Hustle, Bustle and Hurdles
The most interesting part of the book is when Sherlock Holmes returns; the emotional connection shared by Dr. Watson is not only moving but also praiseworthy. Shows how their friendship and value for one another have grown enormously throughout the years.

Coming back to the stories, I found them less suspicious and attention-grabbing in nature this time. Though Holmes was as always the best in solving them. But I strongly believe that the collection could have been better. Hence I have given it
Krystal
Not the greatest of the Sherlock Holmes compilations, but it's still got some great stories in here. Even though it was years ago that I read it, there are still stories that stand out in my memory. I suppose reading about Holmes in his later years lost a little of its charm, but I also feel that perhaps Doyle didn't have quite the vigor in writing these ones. Still great though, and your reading of Holmes is not complete if you've skipped this book.
Hari Hara
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic collection. Surely 5 out of 5
Teresa
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After Doyle said he would no longer write about his famous consulting detective, one might reasonably expect the quality of his stories to go down after he returned to them (due to popular demand), but I didn’t find that the case (pun unintended). Yes, some of the elements are a bit overfamiliar by now, but fans expected those, and without them Holmes and Watson are not themselves.

The murders seem more violent (give the people what they want?), but the humorous dialogue (“…so you can put(“…so
Jim
Dec 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
He's back!!!
How could i give anything but 5 stars? I can only imagine how people in the early years of the 20th century, how much joy they had in their hearts when the beloved character came back from the dead to solve another mystery. You know what he is still alive. Characters like Sherlock Holmes never die.
Katie Lumsden
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very enjoyable collection, as I always find with Sherlock Holmes short stories.
Marlene
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it

'There were no footmarks.'

'Meaning that you saw none?'

'I assure you, sir, that there were none.'

'My good Hopkins, I have investigated many crimes, but I have never yet seen one which was committed by a flying creature. As long as the criminal remains upon two legs so long must there be some indentation, some abrasion, some trifling displacement which can be detected by the scientific searcher.'

The Return of Sherlock Holmes (1905, McClure, Phillips & Co.) by A
Norah Una Sumner
Really enjoyed reading this!

This is a really interesting,mysterious,fun collection of 13 Sherlock Holmes stories."The Adventure of the Norwood Builder" is my favourite one,it's really spellbinding and funny.Dr.Watson is awesome as always.The only thing that I didn't like is the fact that the bad guys always look like the bad guys-their eyes are narrow and evil,their chins are weak.No one is destined to be something based on how he looks-no one is actually born to be a murderer,a thief etc.I liked everyth
Darinda
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-crime
Sherlock Holmes is resurrected! He's back, and solving mysteries, in this collection of thirteen short stories. An enjoyable collection, and a must-read for fans of Sherlock Holmes.

The stories:
6. The Adventure of Black Peter
7. The Adventure of Charles Augustus Milverton<
Pink
Apr 12, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
More Holmes. He's back and doing his usual of belittling everyone around and solving cases using the barest evidence while Watson is still gushing over every female he comes into contact with. If this was my first experience of Sherlock I might rate it higher, but it didn't live up to previous short story collections for me. Plus I'm starting to get irritated by the class/race/sex stereotypes of the day, I know I shouldn't judge on these things as that's just how life was, but reading so many of ...more
Jaro
May 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Read in The Complete Sherlock Holmes.
Barnabas Piper
Apr 16, 2013 rated it liked it
I love all things Sherlock Holmes. He might be my favorite fictional character. This particular collection of stories has some that I wasn't as familiar with and it was fun to run across them.
Elizabeth
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well, he’s back. After being presumed dead for three years, Sherlock dramatically reappears. And it IS very dramatic: there’s enough of a narcissist in Sherlock to want to stage his entrance properly. This collection is my dad’s favorite; he says that this book features several years’ worth of ideas that percolated during Doyle’s Sherlock hiatus. It certainly has some memorable stories. “The Norwood Builder,” “The Solitary Cyclist,” “The Dancing Men,” “The Priory School,” “The Six Napoleons,” an ...more
Diane
Sherlock Holmes is back! The first story in this collection, The Adventure of the Empty House, was one of my favorites because it's how Arthur Conan Doyle brought the great detective back from the dead. Doyle had previously killed the character because he was tired of writing about him, but fans were so upset (and publishers offered him more money!) that the author finally relented and wrote more stories.

My other favorite stories in this collection were The Adventure of the Norwood B
JK
Dec 05, 2018 rated it liked it
This collection of short mysteries takes place three years after Holmes’ catastrophic and monumental ‘death’. It’s fascinating to read of the public’s reaction to this at the time, which no doubt led to Doyle’s resurrection of the great detective. Despite my gratitude at his death being nothing but a clever ruse (what else could it be?) these short stories left me longing for another full length adventure with Holmes and Watson.

There’s definitely a formula being followed here, and al
David Sarkies
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
He's Back
6 March 2017

When we last left our fearsome detective he was plummeting to his death having cornered his arch-nemesis Dr Moriarty on the Reisenbarch Falls. Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle (Arty to his friends, and me) had thought that he has seen the last of him and was planning on taking it easy having put the famous detective to rest. Unfortunately that wasn’t going to be the case because we now see the beginning of what has since become the term ‘back by popular demand’. Well, sure
Tarissa
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sherlock Holmes is back in London after his assumed death back at Reichenbach Falls. It's not long though, and someone is trying to put him six feet under once and for all ('The Adventure of the Empty House')...

Now, I was extremely impressed with the story 'The Adventure of the Norwood Builder', in which forensic fingerprinting is put to the test. Pretty intriguing, and this is where Conan Doyle is really strutting his scientific mind.

'The Adventure of Charles Augustus Milverton' is another that stands out to/>'The
Sanjay Gautam
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A classic. One of the greatest come back of any hero.
Bethany
The brilliancy of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle will never cease to amaze me! He must have literally been a genius to come up with so many clever cases and solutions for all the Sherlock Holmes books!

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The New Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Wisdom of Father Brown (Father Brown, #2)
  • The Whitechapel Horrors
  • A Thief in the Night
  • Bending the Willow: Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes
  • The Moriarty Papers: The Schemes and Adventures of the Great Nemesis of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Secret Notebooks of Sherlock Holmes
  • Poirot's Early Cases: 18 Hercule Poirot Mysteries (Hercule Poirot, #41)
  • The Trial of Sherlock Holmes
  • Gaslight Grimoire: Fantastic Tales of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Seventh Bullet (The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)
  • A Scandal in Bohemia (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, #1)
  • The Rivals of Sherlock Holmes
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is uncertain. Hi

Sherlock Holmes (9 books)
  • A Study in Scarlet (Sherlock Holmes, #1)
  • The Sign of Four (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
  • The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #3)
  • The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #4)
  • The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sherlock Holmes, #5)
  • The Valley of Fear (Sherlock Holmes, #7)
  • His Last Bow (Sherlock Holmes, #8)
  • The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #9)
“From the first day I met her, she was the only woman to me. Every day of that voyage I loved her more, and many a time since have I kneeled down in the darkness of the night watch and kissed the deck of that ship because I knew her dear feet had trod it. She was never engaged to me. She treated me as fairly as ever a woman treated a man. I have no complaint to make. It was all love on my side, and all good comradeship and friendship on hers. When we parted she was a free woman, but I could never again be a free man.” 192 likes
“Work is the best antidote to sorrow, my dear Watson.” 172 likes