Start by marking “The Lost World: Being an Account of the Recent Amazing Adventures of Professor George E. Challenger, Lord John Roxton, Professor Summerlee, and MR E.D. Malone of the Daily Gazette” as Want to Read:

Read Book* *Different edition

The Lost World: Being an Account of the Recent Amazing Adventures of Professor George E. Challenger, Lord John Roxton, Professor Summerlee, and MR E.D. Malone of the Daily Gazette (Professor Challenger #1)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  45,692 Ratings  ·  1,504 Reviews
The account of a scientific expedition by four intrepid Englishmen from the gaslit safety of Victorian London to a remote plateau in the South American jungle. In this region beyond time, they encounter hideous survivors from the dawn of history -- swarms of titanic reptiles and prehuman ape-men -- and must use cunning and superior intellect to escape.
Published November 19th 1998 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 1912)

Stephen
Move aside, Sherlock…Sir Arthur has conjured a protagonist who's an even more arrogant assbag than you.

Everyone...the intrepid, the indefatigable, the insufferable Professor G.E. Challenger
Photobucket

If, like me, you enjoy characters that are gruff, prideful curmudgeonly sorts, than you will have fun with this guy. He is a serious hoot. Trust me.

Physically, Prof. Challenger is a funhouse mirror reflection of Mr. Holmes. Instead of a tall, lanky, clean-shaven gentlemen who calmly condescends to the wor
Nayra.Hassan
Apr 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, sci-fi
اريد رجلا شجاعا لا يهاب الموت ..رجل حقق امجادا لا توصف. .يخلق فرصه خلقا"..ان البطولات حولنا تنتظر من يحققها من الرجال...اريد ان تحسدني النساء على رجلي"
بهذه الطلبات التعجيزية تبدأ المغامرات الاسطورية
..هكذا ينطلق الصحفي مالوني مع البروفيسور العبقري المخبول تشالنجر إلى أمريكا الجنوبية ليثبتوا ان الديناصورات مازالت تحيا هناك بكل انواعها

هذه رواية نشرت لأول مرة في عام1912طبعا قبل انطلاق سلسلة افلام الحديقة الجوراسية بتسعين عام
ففكرة العالم المختبيء المليء بالديناصورات هو اسطورة حية في الوجدان العالم
Evgeny
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
A young reporter Ed Malone was madly in love. The woman he loved told him he would only have a chance with her if he did something really heroic. The most heroic action his editor could think of was to send him to interview Professor Challenger notorious for throwing the reporters out of his house - literally throwing out.
Throw out

Initially poor Malone repeated the previous experience of his colleagues, but he managed to pacify the professor to tell him his story. The main idea was that the guy claimed
Jason Koivu
Who doesn't wish dinosaurs weren't still around? Well, maybe not the big bitey ones, but how cool would that be?! Hell, I'd even take the huge, face-ripping ones too if it were an all-or-nothing deal. I figure a little survival of the fittest would do this world good.

Since that's not likely to happen during my lifetime, I'll console myself with movies and books. The Lost World is a good place to be for those of us looking to get lost in a dino world.

This is a forerunner of the what-if history
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*
3.5 rating

Ironically the first part was better than when the actual adventure started. I think it's because the writer did not indulge in so much descriptive rambling and lengthy pauses during the build-up, which allowed that part of the story to shine triumphantly with humor, quirky characters, and fun motivations.

I loved the
Kwesi 章英狮
I don't like to end the book so soon, I really love this book although I expected something gorier like dinosaur killing the whole tribe or cannibals eat human flesh. Still, I did love this book in many ways and as long as I live I'll treasure this book forever. Hey, stop looking to me like that. I can still remember all the things I read from the book. Amen.

The whole journey started when a Gazette Irish journalist named, Malone, went go straight to the house of notorious Professor Challenged cl
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Nov 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of lost world/quest adventures
Recommended to Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) by: Nicolle as a Buddy Read
The Lost World is a classic work of action/adventure that has a lively feel that made for a very fun read. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, best known for his Sherlock Holmes stories, has a way of writing an engaging tale. For readers who fear reading books published prior to the later 20th century out of the desire to avoid dry, stale language, I would offer up this book. Although it shows the sentiments, good and bad, for the period in which it was written, the writing tone could easily be as modern as ...more
Apatt
Aug 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
“He would be a harder, sterner man, not so ready to adapt himself to a silly girl's whim. But, above all, he must be a man who could do, who could act, who could look Death in the face and have no fear of him, a man of great deeds and strange experiences. It is never a man that I should love, but always the glories he had won; for they would be reflected upon me. Think of Richard Burton!”

What? Oh this Richard Burton! I don’t want to post a photo of the explorer Burton (too many pics in this revi
Shovelmonkey1
Jun 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: plesiosaurs and pterodactyls
Recommended to Shovelmonkey1 by: by an esteemed historic pedigree
WARNING: TERRIBLE LIZARDS CONTAINED WITHIN

The Lost World by Arthur Conan Doyle is the literary equivalent of the plucky and elegant Caudipteryx when placed next to the stomping roaring Tyrannosaurus that represents the Hollywood mega block busters of Jurassic Park and the Lost World. If it doesn't zip along fast enough it might get squashed. But it does zip along quite speedily and has all the pre-requisites needed for a boys-own adventure story.

Specifically boys-own, because there are no ladie
Werner
Mar 20, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of adventure-oriented science fiction
Note, March2, 2016: I've just edited this review to correct a misspelled word.

Like one of my Goodreads friends, I should say at the outset that my review can't add much to the excellent one already written by another friend, Lady Danielle (http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/... ). But I'll go ahead and share my perspective anyway, for what it's worth. While I did like the book, my rating for it wasn't quite as high as most of my friends gave it (for reasons I'll indicate below). But it's a goo
  • The Land That Time Forgot Collection (Caspak #1-3)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth (Extraordinary Voyages, #3)
  • Ayesha: The Return of She
  • Captain Blood
  • Moonfleet
  • Smoke Bellew
  • The Black Arrow
Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is uncertain. His baptism record
More about Arthur Conan Doyle...

Professor Challenger (5 books)
  • The Poison Belt (Professor Challenger, #2)
  • The Land of Mist (Professor Challenger, #3)
  • When the World Screamed (Professor Challenger, #4)
  • The Disintegration Machine (Professor Challenger, #5)
“There are times, young fellah, when every one of us must make a stand for human right and justice, or you never feel clean again.” 48 likes
“So tomorrow we disappear into the unknown. This account I am transmitting down the river by canoe, and it may be our last word to those who are interested in our fate.” 35 likes