Start by marking “Frenchman's Creek” as Want to Read:
Frenchman's Creek

Frenchman's Creek

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  14,430 ratings  ·  1,372 reviews
Bored and restless in London's Restoration Court, Lady Dona escapes into the British countryside with her restlessness and thirst for adventure as her only guides.

Published December 17th 2013 by Little, Brown and Company (first published September 1941)

To ask other readers questions about Frenchman's Creek, please sign up.
Elizabeth Gaskins Hi Lindsey,
Hi Lindsey,
You may not be worried about this question anymore, but what you would do is look beneath the description of the book and click "all editions" Look through that list. If you see the one you want, click on it. Then look at the top right side and click the small letters that say "recommend it".

If you do not see the edition of the book you read, you may add it to the list of editions already on Goodreads and then recommend the edition you added.

Hope this helps!

--Elizabeth(less)
Christine Mathieu This is so much better than "My Cousin Rachel", "Jamaica Inn" and her first debut novel about the sunken ship (forgot the title).…moreThis is so much better than "My Cousin Rachel", "Jamaica Inn" and her first debut novel about the sunken ship (forgot the title).(less)

·  14,430 ratings  ·  1,372 reviews

Start your review of Frenchman's Creek
Candi
"Do you remember my father’s aviary in Hampshire, and how the birds there were well fed, and could fly about their cage? And one day I set a linnet free, and it flew straight out of my hands towards the sun?... Because I feel like that. Like the linnet before it flew."

If you’ve ever felt confined, if you’ve ever felt like just throwing all caution to the wind and escaping, then you can empathize with Dona St. Columb, the heroine of this delightful adventure! Now, I know what you are thinking, be
Katie

It had a love story.

It had intrigue.

It had scandal.

It had clean language.

It had beautiful writing.

It's a great read.

Julie
Frenchman’s Creek by Daphne du Maurier is a 2003 publication. (This novel was originally published in 1941)

Adventurous and unique side of Daphne du Maurier-

Bored in her marriage, Dona heads to her husband Harry’s estate in Cornwall for some time to herself. Right away, she becomes embroiled in the adventure of the pirate 'Jean-Benoit Aubéry.' She dares to let her true nature emerge, wearing men’s clothes, and joining in the intrigue and a little romance.

However, her fun is often foiled by Rock
Baba
Apr 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I. Am. Shook. I had no expectation or idea of this book, as I never read book blurbs and haven't seen any of the adaptations. But seriously ... decadence; such a free-spirited but self aware female protagonist; a creek of wonder; one of the best butlers in fiction; antagonist that are fully realised and multifaceted and... piracy.... yep, I said it, this book has pirates!

How did this book make me feel?
From the moment I was presented with Lady Dona St Columb and her highly unconventional approach
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
A romantic, swashbuckling type of tale from the talented Daphne du Maurier that, unfortunately, fell flat for me. Lady Dona St. Columb is a noblewoman in 17th century England, discontented with her husband, family, the British court, and pretty much everything in her life. She takes out her frustrations on everyone around her and then flounces off to her husband's estate in Cornwall to rusticate and make the people around her miserable there instead.

There are stories of a pirate who's been raid
Arah-Lynda
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All Lovers of Adventure
Shelves: i-said, killer-prose, top
Suddenly the sails caught the breeze and filled, they bellied out in the wind, lovely and white and free, the gulls rose in a mass, screaming above the masts, the setting sun caught the   painted ship in a gleam of gold, and silently, stealthily, leaving a long dark ripple behind her, the ship stole in towards the land.  And a feeling came upon Dona, as though a hand touched her heart, and a voice whispered in her brain, “I shall remember this.”  A premonition of wonder, of fear, of sudden stran ...more
Carol
Apr 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
4+ Stars. Daphne du Maurier brings her true love of boating and the sea to life in this most enjoyable 17th century atmospheric tale of swashbuckling fun.

The excitement begins soon after Lady Dona leaves London society.....and her (foolish) baronet husband.....for their country home and a much needed respite away from everyday boredom and a loveless marriage.

With two children and nanny in tow, Dona is finally free to avail herself of sun and solace with long walks in the woods and thoughts of a

Piyangie
Frenchman's Creek is the third book I read of Daphne du Maurier following My Cousin Rachel and Rebecca . And naturally, I expected a mystery. But I was really surprised to find that Frenchman's Creek is an adventure story.

Du Maurier presents us with a female protagonist as unlike any other so far I have come across her books. Dona St. Columb is a wild and reckless woman whose spirit seeks action and adventure. Her mundane aristocratic life which is wasted in idle occupation does not suit her
Ahmad Sharabiani
Frenchman's Creek, Daphne du Maurier

Frenchman's Creek is a 1941 historical novel by Daphne du Maurier.

Dona, Lady St. Columb, makes a sudden visit with her children to Navron, her husband's remote estate in Cornwall, in a fit of disgust with her shallow life in London court society.

There she finds that the property, unoccupied for several years, is being used as a base by a notorious French pirate who has been terrorising the Cornish coast.

Dona finds that the pirate, Jean-Benoit Aubéry, is not
PattyMacDotComma
3.5~4★
‘Oh, he is that sort of pirate, then?’ murmured Dona.

‘No lives have been lost as yet, and none of our women have been taken,’ said Godolphin stiffly, ‘but as this fellow is a Frenchman we all realise that it is only a question of time before something dastardly occurs.’

Oh, I do hope so! This is perfect escapism, historical romance with elements of a thriller. There’s a bit of chest-thumping and derring-do between the French pirates of Brittany and the wealthy landowners of Cornwall acro
Lisa
Oct 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An escapist book about escapism as a lifestyle!

A Midsummer Night's Dream come true and better than that!

A woman's life revised and changed and made ALIVE!

Sexuality awakened and conventional hypocrisy buried!

Priorities redefined!

Predator killed by its prey!

True passion!

Everlasting motherhood!

I had no intention whatsoever to read this novel, and even less to like it. But then a coincidence made me start it - and that was all it took. Despite everyday life being more demanding than usual (and "
Phrynne
An enjoyable read but really just a historical romance and lacking the suspense and mystery of Rebecca or Jamaica Inn. Her writing is as usual superb and I loved her descriptions of Cornwall and the Helford Passage which is as beautiful as she makes it sound. Altogether a very readable book especially for anyone who likes a light romance but not one of du Maurier's best works. ...more
Sue K H
Nov 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: woman-authors
It's settled Daphne du Maurier is a favorite. Here a bored housewife finds love and adventure with a pirate. It sounds cheesy right? Well, it may be but not as much as you'd think because it's fun and the great writing shines through. This adventure story can't match the brilliance of Rebecca or My Cousin Rachel, but it's great writing just the same. I'm going to make my way through everything she's ever written. ...more
JimZ
May 07, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Boo-hiss. I normally like Daphne du Maurier’s works. But this tale strained and exceeded credibility. The different things that Lady Dona St. Columb did to aid and abet the Britany pirate (Jean-Benoit Aubery) was simply unbelievable. Plus, there was a minor thing that bugged me. She didn’t give a rat’s ass about her 5-year-old daughter Henrietta and one-year-old James. Well and another thing: the pirate told her he had decided that there would be no other woman in his life when he first saw a pa ...more
Bianca
Loved, loved, loved this novel.
The writing, the atmosphere, the spirited English woman and the French pirate - Arggggh and oui, oui, Oui! Have I mentioned the writing?

This novel was sensual, intense and dreamy, at the same time. There's barely any sensual touching, still, to me, this was hotter than any other modern romance novel that spares no details describing intimate acts.

The audiobook was brilliantly narrated by John Castle.

I guess it's official, I'm a bona fide du Maurier fan.

~Jo~
I adore Daphne Du Maurier, and I think she's probably one of my favourite female writers. Rebecca just totally blew my mind, and Jamaica Inn followed suit. This book however, wasn't as psychologically exciting as those two, and for me, there was an obvious lack of suspense, but despite this, I still enjoyed Du Mauriers signature prose and unmatched writing.

I do enjoy the way feminism is strongly existent within this book, as the story is about a woman that refuses to be what society wants her to
Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ...
Daphne du Maurier enthralls and enchants me again. This book is less foreboding than others but is still wonderful. What is not to love about French pirates wooing an English woman and then allowing her to live a moment as a pirate herself? What is not to love about beautifully written prose and a very feminist slant? There is very little about which to complain in any of du Maurier's books. I have now read 8 of them and am on the hunt to find her others. ...more
Natalie Richards
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-book
I know that if I ever need a book which is guaranteed to transport me to another time and place, and which I know that I am going to thoroughly enjoy,then I need look no further than du Maurier.
Tracey
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The opening paragraphs of this novel about the sea and nature, birds and places are so beautifully written that I was hooked.
It is a story of romance not usually my genre of choice but it is so much more. There is swashbuckling adventure, danger a plenty, escape in many forms, and a fabulous, heroine who is headstrong and brave.
Finally for my metaphorical book memory box and to share with the readers of my review, short passage to whet your appetite;
'Because I would be alone, because my humou
Jon
Jan 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, it's not often I pick up a novel and barely move from my chair until I've finished it. I'm not that kind of reader. But this one really held me. It's Du Maurier at her usual high standard, this one about, of all things, a swashbuckling pirate raiding the south coast of England in the late 17th century and the young woman who is swept off her feet by his brashness and romantic mystery. What could be more trite? Errol Flynn made a living doing versions of this. But Du Maurier does it so much ...more
Lori
Maureen
Sep 23, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, novels
cross-posted at booklikes and the mo-centric universe.

a few months of staring blankly into space means that finishing this book was a major accomplishment for me. normally, it would have been a quick read but for this cursed lack of focus.. anyway, it is a simple little romance, and i do like enigmatic, artistic pirates very much, so i found some fun in frenchman's creek. i wasn't crazy about it, though, beyond the eponymous pirate.

the heroine, lady dona st. columb starts off very precious, dr
Allie Riley
Feb 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lady Dona St Columb, is bored stiff with London society and her stifling marriage to her stupid, drunkard husband Sir Harry. Desperate for escape she takes her children and their nursemaid Prue to the family house in Navron, Cornwall perchance to be rid of Harry and, in some way, to start again. Soon after arriving she learns that the coast is cursed by piracy, in particular the doings of the French pirate Jean Aubrey. This appeals to her sense of adventure and fun, so once their paths cross it ...more
Bree Hill
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My heart is so full right now after finishing this book. Daphne Du Maurier wrote the hell out of this book. It's only about 270 pages and I loved every word, every sentence that made this story. This will go on my list of stories that I won't go a day without thinking of. Seriously wish I could go back and experience it for the first time all over again. ...more
Margitte
THE BLURB

Eventually Dona lands in remote Navron, looking for peace of mind in its solitary woods and hidden creeks. She finds the passion her spirit craves in the love of a daring French pirate who is being hunted by all of Cornwall.

Together, they embark upon a quest rife with danger and glory, one which bestows upon Dona the ultimate
Natalie Vellacott
Described as a modern classic. I recognised the author's name having watched the film, Rebecca a number of times.

Lady Dona St Columb is trapped in a loveless marriage and in societal routines that she detests. She has a streak of recklessness and always a strong desire to escape her circumstances should the opportunity arise. On a whim, she retires alone to their second residence for a break from life. There she chances upon Frenchman's Creek, a favourite spot for pirates, and meets the French
Emma
Jun 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful and deeply romantic novel with an excellent narration by John Glass. I’d always wanted to read this and it was worth the wait. There were a few possible endings to this story and I didn’t get the one I wanted, but I didn’t get the worst one either!
Raquel
4.5 ★★★★: a tale of freedom, piracy and romance set in 17th Cornwall
«This other self knew that life need not be bitter, nor worthless, nor bounded by a narrow casement, but could be limitless, infinite—that it meant suffering, and love, and danger, and sweetness, and more than this even, much more.»

Review in English | Reseña en español (abajo)
After reading this book it has become clear to me that Daphne du Maurier is now one of my favourite authors and that, whatever story she tells, I would
Cherie
Aug 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am sitting here at my desk looking at my library book. It has pink and blue and yellow post it notes sticking out of the top and side of the book on so many of the pages! I used them to mark the pages where I thought there were a few wonderful lines or a memorable scene or dialogue as I read. On some, I wrote a comment or a note to remind me what happened in the chapter. I like to go back to them when I am done reading. I always think I will want to add some of the lines or notes when I write ...more
Quirkyreader
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a rollicking and fun adventure story that can be enjoyed by anyone. And yes there is a bit of romance thrown in as well.

While reading this, I pictured the main characters played by Errol Flynn and Greta Garbo. I don’t know if this book was ever made into a film, but it would make a great one.

I just loved the way how Du Maurier wrote this story. If was fun for fun’s sake. This story would also stand up well as a companion volume with “Treasure Island”.

So give this book a go and just roll

• The Mutant Strain (Kissing the Coronavirus #3)
  • Extravagantul Conan Doi. De-a baba oarba
  • I F*cking Hate Zoom Quizzes: A collection of poems about Covid-19, the year 2020, and beyond
  • The Moon in the Water (Heron, #1)
  • Manderley Forever
  • The Butchers of Berlin
  • The journal of a german doctor during the WWII
  • Fifty Sounds
  • Airs Above the Ground
  • De boeken der kleine zielen (De boeken der kleine zielen I en II)
  • The Love Square
  • The Kissing Booth: Road Trip!: World Book Day 2020
  • The Tenant of Wildfell Hall
  • The Gull Next Door: A Portrait of a Misunderstood Bird
See top shelves…
If Daphne du Maurier had written only Rebecca, she would still be one of the great shapers of popular culture and the modern imagination. Few writers have created more magical and mysterious places than Jamaica Inn and Manderley, buildings invested with a rich character that gives them a memorable life of their own.

In many ways the life of Daphne du Maurier resembles a fairy tale. Born into a fami