Start by marking “Jasmine” as Want to Read:
Jasmine

Jasmine

Jasmine is a survivor. She’s lived through the abuse of her father, running away at age fourteen, and living on the streets. Now she counsels at risk young women—giving them a second chance at life. But when her mother dies, can she go home again and face the past she’s forced herself to forget for the last twenty years? Or will the past she’s now forgotten take over her p ...more
Published June 13th 2013 by WhiteFire Publishing (first published June 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Jasmine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jasmine

Start your review of Jasmine
Christine Lindsay
Aug 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Jasmine by April McGowan is one of those brilliantly intelligent books that goes straight to your heart.

As a person who grew up in a dysfunctional family I give the author two thumbs up for her understanding of the heart-ache that scars so many people. I knew this especially while reading, when the main character of this novel, Jasmine, explained why she threw her treasured bicycle over the bridge and into the water when she was a child. Because I remember that emotion.

Also, as a true-life bir
Elaine Cooper
Aug 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It took more than one tissue to survive reading this novel, but it was well worth the inspiring, emotional impact. “Jasmine” by April McGowen is a contemporary fiction that earns kudos for presenting the harsh realities of life while offering a faith that can overcome evil with forgiveness and hope.

Jazz, as the protagonist now calls herself, must return to her hometown because of a death in the family. She has not been there in 22 years and the thought of returning where the trauma o
Marriott Cole
Jul 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
April McGowan is a terrific writer, skillfully drawing me into Jasmine. I was horrified to read about this type of abuse perpetrated on a child, yet I was delighted at the main character's path to forgiveness and wholeness as well as the ups and downs of a realistic romance intertwined within this very interesting and multifaceted Christian novel. A very memorable novel with an important story line. Nancy Meacham-Cole, writing as Marriott Cole

Merged review:

April McGowan is a terrifi
Elaine Manders
Aug 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Christian Love Triumphs Evil
April McGowan has sent a bright light into the dark world of sex trafficking in her debut novel, Jasmine. Just as Jasmine learns that she can be made whole again, we learn there can be something done about this horrific practice. These problems begin before a girl runs away from home. In Jasmine’s case, it’s her father’s abuse.
I can’t think of a more difficult subject to handle and bring about a happy ending, but the author has done a good job of resolving
Deanne
Jul 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing

I love this book. It's a very good read and I highly recommend it.

Jasmine has lived on the street. Her past is filled with hurt, but someone encouraged her, gave her a hand, and helped her through college. Now she’s a counselor to young women lost in the desperate situations she knows so well. She reaches out to pull them through their crisis and has helped change many lives. But, when she must confront the horrors of her own past, she has trouble following her own advice.
Bonnie
Sep 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Excellent debut novel.

I just finished reading April McGowan's debut novel, Jasmine. Although the book had a few typos and a few scenes could use a bit of polishing I loved this story. April's depiction of the characters is absolutely authentic. I cared about the people in this story and I think you will to. And I love how April keeps the reader guessing. She has a lot of unexpected twists and turns.

Here's a little more about it - Jasmine is a survivor. She's lived through the abuse of her fath
June Foster
Jul 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Jasmine by April McGowan takes the reader for an emotional ride with unexpected twists and turns until the end. Through April's skill as an author, the reader obtains an in-depth look into the very heart of Jasmine Reynolds through a single point of view.

When Jasmine returns to her childhood home of Bright River, she must face the ghosts of her past. To complicate her life even more, she meets up with her childhood friend Tim Able. The prominent lawyer still cares for Jasmine and would like to
Jessica Brown
Jun 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
April - I heard about your book Friday night, and was able to purchase it that day. I originally just bought it because I wanted to support a local author. This was one of the best purchases I've made this month. What an amazing story you told. It brought out so many emotions. It was well written and kept my attention. It wouldn't have taken me so long to read it if my week wasn't so busy. Last night I couldn't put it down, going to sleep MUCH later than I wanted but I was so close I had to know ...more
Sandi Rog
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Powerful Read

I had a hard time putting this book down. And when I thought I knew where the story was going, the author flipped me for a loop! Not only was this well-written, the story really touched a cord deep within my heart. It helped me to understand someone I care about who was abused in a similar fashion, and it opened my eyes to why she’s so defensive and hard to love. Love requires opening oneself up, being vulnerable, and April McGowan brought that to life in Jasmine. I now
Danika Cooley
Jul 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Jasmine is an incredibly well-written tale - one of those stories that makes me feel as though I truly know the characters. I found myself emotionally invested in the story early on, and I couldn't wait to turn the next page. It kept me WAY up past my bedtime!

Jasmine was a raw look at the life of a survivor. There was nothing syrupy-sweet about it (that's a huge plus in my book!). The story takes a number of unexpected turns that truly surprised me.

I look forward to purchasing Jasmine in paper
Carrie Bohl
Aug 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Jasmine is a story that captures my heart and takes me on a journey of self-discovery with the woman this book is named after. Through the twists and turns, anticipations and disappointments, I found myself counting the moments until I could get back to the story, disappointed by interruptions of life. When I read the last paragraph I was thrilled by the outcome but longing for another page to turn, another chapter to read. Thank you for the adventure, April!
Roseanna White
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
*I edited this book*

I've read a lot of "can't go home again--but have to" books. I've read a lot of books where the characters have overcome a tough childhood. But I loved how those elements came together in this one, and how Jasmine has to face her issues, her family, her old friends...and her sins. She comes away with a strength that is so inspiring!

Susie Finkbeiner
Dec 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This debut novel had me flipping through the pages, hoping to find out what would happen next. McGowan kept the pace up throughout...even in the middle (which is often difficult). She wrote with heart and dignity. This is a good read for when you have time to soak in the story. Highly recommended!
Angela
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read the book over the course of a weekend. I could not put it down! The story is well written and draws you into the characters and their stories.
Melissa Henderson
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The past can affect the future. In this emotional story, the author gives the reader characters with depth, honesty and courage while giving hope for the future. Bring the tissues. I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher and this is my personal honest opinion.
Stephanie
Jul 10, 2018 marked it as to-read
This is a good book! I am really enjoying the book! The author does a great job of keeping you interested in the book. The main characters are very realistic and relatable.
I received a review copy of this book! No positive review was required. My opinion is my own and is honest.
Linda
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very inspirational book.
Jeanie
Mar 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
April McGowan’s debut novel, Jasmine, is a must-read! Had I not seen her brief bio on the cover, I would have anticipated that this was written by a seasoned, multi-published author. April immediately pulls one into the world of Jazz, a woman who counsels young women who are “at-risk” – girls who live on the street, or are on drugs, or have endured physical or sexual abuse – to help them have a better life. Jazz knew what she was doing, what would happen to the girls if they did not have redirec ...more
Gail Welborn
May 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
***well-developed characters portray the cost of abuse and victimization***

"Jasmine," April McGowan's debut fiction set in Portland, Oregon is a narrative of inspiration forged in the fires of abuse, homelessness and sex trafficking. Her character-driven story reveals the depths of the Father's love for the "most broken and hurting," who by God's grace find the courage to escape victimization on the streets. Although the story is fiction the facts behind the story are heartbreaking
Tracie
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
April McGowan does a great job exploring a tough issue in this well balanced story. The book has strong character and plot development with realistic conflict and resolution. There is just the right amount of emotion and good spiritual emphasis. The pacing held my interest -- I stayed up to finish reading!
Dana
Aug 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this book brought me to tears more than once and had me smirking at other times. I also got so frustrated with the main characters stubborn heart but understood why it was that way. I really hope the word gets out on this book because it touches you. I struggled with it in the beginning and then at some point couldn't put it down. Love that. I look forward to more from this new author.....
MLOW
Jun 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
Wonderful book! The author tackles a tough topic and does so with a skilled hand. I literally couldn't put it down and read it in one sitting. Beautiful story of healing and redemption. Well done. :)
Meghan Williams
Jul 07, 2014
Melody
Jan 19, 2013
April McGowan
Sep 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Wendy Chorot
Dec 26, 2016
susan
May 08, 2014

• Deadly Gold
  • Her Mother's Hope (Marta's Legacy, #1)
  • Mrs. Pollifax on Safari (Mrs. Pollifax, #5)
  • A Palm for Mrs. Pollifax (Mrs. Pollifax, #4)
  • Kitty Confidential (Pet Whisperer PI #1)
  • The Orphan's Tale
  • The Kremlin Conspiracy (Marcus Ryker #1)
  • The Persian Gamble (Marcus Ryker #2)
  • Round Robin (Elm Creek Quilts, #2)
  • The Quilter's Apprentice (Elm Creek Quilts, #1)
  • The Elusive Mrs. Pollifax (Mrs. Pollifax, #3)
  • The Amazing Mrs. Pollifax (Mrs. Pollifax, #2)
April McGowan loves to stories of hope, courage, and inspiration. She and her husband, two children, and her 3 mews, Saoirse,Xander, and Liam, live in the beautiful Pacific Northwest. April is a member of Oregon Christian Writers, the Christian Authors Network, and American Christian Fiction Writers. She's also the publicity coordinator for Oregon Christian Writers. When she's not writing, reading ...more