Start by marking “Seeing Red” as Want to Read:
Seeing Red

Seeing Red

Schow's first collection of World Fantasy Award-winning short stories is back in print for the first time in nearly ten years. Features include the main prize winner "Coming Soon to a Theater Near You."
Published April 6th 2012 by Crossroad Press (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Seeing Red, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seeing Red

Michael Fierce
Jul 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Splatterpunk fans, 80's horror, short stories in the Joe Lansdale, Richard Laymon, Stephen King vein
 description

A wonderful collection of diverse horror stories by Splatterpunk author, David J. Schow, with several highlights.

My favorites, *Red Light* and *The Embracing*.

I don't know why, exactly, but the cover reminds me of Dario Argento's classic Italian horror film, Suspiria.

I made the mistake of lending my copy to a friend a million yrs ago and never got it back.

I luckily picked up a Near Fine copy a few yrs back.

Highly recommended for anyone who loves the best of the 80's horror period, particu
Shawn
I was finally able to finish this after starting it last year and then leaving it on the opposite coast of the USA for 9 months. I bought this off the racks (remember when there were racks?) at the time it came out, read it once and put it aside. A lot of what I said about Joe R. Lansdale in my review of By Bizarre Hands could easily apply here as well. I read David Schow in the 80s, the era of TWILIGHT ZONE MAGAZINE and THE HORROR SHOW, among others, as outlets for solid short fiction in the ge ...more
Rebecca McNutt
Great Halloween read if you're a fan of dark fantasy! I loved this book, it's a really thrilling and original reading experience.
Graham P
An energetic ode to horror pulp traditions, this collection of Schow's 1980s fiction doesn't pull any punches. While at times a bit too cheeky, there's something for every type of horror fan. Whether it's zombie pimps, killer roaches, pulp writers touching the void, or sleazebag punks tailing a vengeful ghost, 'Seeing Red' has no shortage of the amped-up grue that fed the 'splatterpunk' era of supernatural literature.
Marlin Williams
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
David Schow is one of my favorite horror writers. He's got an imagination that's way out there and each story is unique. It's not easy to shake the chills or the visions he creates in his writing. Seeing Red was the first book that I read by this author and certainly won't be my last.
Albert
Pretty decent anthology. Great imagination and beautifully written, but to me at least these stories weren't very scary or disturbing. However, the last story, Not From Around Here, holy shit that one blew me away, one of the best horror short stories that I've read, loved it and will pull out this collection in the future just to re-read this one story.
Amanda Lyons
Mar 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book contains of the very few examples of horror that actually scared me and that's saying something!
Kurt Reichenbaugh
Jun 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Good stories and cool writing. Stories I've revisited over the last two decades.
Clint
Oct 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute little afternoon/weekend time-killer. David S. clearly loves to write. His stories are playful and shameless. A pleasure to read.
S. Wilson
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
David J. Schow is best known as one of the original horror writer “splatterpunks” of the eighties and nineties, as well as a horror film screenwriter and connoisseur (he penned a regular column for Fangoria magazine). Both of these elements are readily apparent in Seeing Red, his first published collection of short stories, which is overflowing with unflinching violence and gore that is reminiscent in style and substance of the golden age of the spatter film and horror novel.

True to Schow’s cine
David Thirteen
This was my first time reading David Schow and there were stories in this collection that absolutely awed me. His take on hard-boiled splatter punk is gritty, disturbing, and good fun. As I find with many collections the great stories tend to overshadow and diminish the other entries, even when they're good in their own right, and this collection was no different. But the great stories really did shine, and Not From Around here is worth the price of admission alone.

One side note not reflected in
Christopher
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Even though my kindle version had some pretty major editing and formatting issues, I enjoyed the large spread of divergent themes and tones in these stories. But it was the final story, 'Not From Around Here' that was the real prize.
Eugene Johnson Jr
May 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought it was good, it had it's flaw's, but then again it is a vary good read for the short storie lover.
Mark
Jan 14, 2010
Charles
Sep 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
David J. Schow is an American author of horror novels, short stories, and screenplays, associated with the "splatterpunk" movement of the late '80s and early '90s. Most recently he has moved into the crime genre.
“The Government set the stage economically by informing everyone that we were in a depression period, with very pointed allusions to the 1930s. The period just prior to our last 'good' war. ... Boiled down, our objective was to make killing and military life seem like adventurous fun, so for our inspiration we went back to the Thirties as well. It was pure serendipity. Inside one of the Scripter offices there was an old copy of Doc Smith's first LENSMAN space opera. It turned out that audiences in the 1970s were more receptive to the sort of things they scoffed at as juvenilia in the 1930s. Our drugs conditioned them to repeat viewings, simultaneously serving the ends of profit and positive reinforcement. The movie we came up with stroked all the correct psychological triggers. The fact that it grossed more money than any film in history at the time proved how on target our approach was.'

'Oh my God... said Jonathan, his mouth stalling the open position.

'Six months afterward we ripped ourselves off and got secondary reinforcement onto television. We pulled a 40 share. The year after that we phased in the video games, experimenting with non-narcotic hypnosis, using electrical pulses, body capacitance, and keying the pleasure centers of the brain with low voltage shocks. Jesus, Jonathan, can you *see* what we've accomplished? In something under half a decade we've programmed an entire generation of warm bodies to go to war for us and love it. They buy what we tell them to buy. Music, movies, whole lifestyles. And they hate who we tell them to. ... It's simple to make our audiences slaver for blood; that past hasn't changed since the days of the Colosseum. We've conditioned a whole population to live on the rim of Apocalypse and love it. They want to kill the enemy, tear his heart out, go to war so their gas bills will go down! They're all primed for just that sort of denouemment, ti satisfy their need for linear storytelling in the fictions that have become their lives! The system perpetuates itself. Our own guinea pigs pay us money to keep the mechanisms grinding away. If you don't believe that, just check out last year's big hit movies... then try to tell me the target demographic audience isn't waiting for marching orders. ("Incident On A Rainy Night In Beverly Hills")”
6 likes
“Horror, let's face it, is basically pretty dumb. You're writing about events that are preposterous, and the trick is to dress them up in language so compelling that the reader doesn't care.” 4 likes