Start by marking “What Did You Say? The Art of Giving and Receiving Feedback” as Want to Read:
What Did You Say? The Art of Giving and Receiving Feedback

What Did You Say? The Art of Giving and Receiving Feedback

Published April 3rd 2013 by Weinberg & Weinberg (first published January 1st 1992)

Be the first to ask a question about What Did You Say? The Art of Giving and Receiving Feedback

Start your review of What Did You Say? The Art of Giving and Receiving Feedback
Andrea Chiou
Jun 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book nails the subtle nuances of feedback - getting at all the psychology behind our reactions and reluctance to both giving and receiving. Jerry is one of my favorite writers in IT and psychology. This one is perhaps experiencing a revival as one of his early books that was somewhat neglected for a period. It's a great book to use in a study group or for preparing a workshop on feedback. Or, just plain old read it alone to understand your own dynamics on this important topic. It's also now ...more
Scott
Aug 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Scott by: Chason
This is a fairly difficult book to review; I ended up restarting after reading half of the book and then had to review my notes a few times after completing the book before I was able to come to a conclusion that I'm both intellectually and emotionally satisfied with.

This is a book that presents a lot of critical information, but it fails at the presentation in a number of ways:

1. The actual presentation of the content is distracting. There are a lot of poorly-designed diagrams that take up enti
Zhexi (Bonnie)
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-reread
I created a re-read shelf for books like this one. I would re-read sometime. Feedback comes in many forms, it is embedded in human interactions, essentially about information gathering, sharing, extraction and reflection.
Rick Yvanovich
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Whether you like it or not you’re right

Very revealing and intriguing - I like it because I see things that I like - I don’t like it as I see things that I don’t like - Feedback a la the Mothers Law.
Bobby Ratliff
This book is thought provoking because feedback is something we give and receive daily. The authors have put their finger on some challenges of feedback, and how to get better at it. Reminds me of "Crucial Conversations."
Marcus Autenrieth
As entertaining as illuminating.
Steve
May 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, management
This is a seemingly simple book, that at first glance says some obvious things, but they are things we rarely pay attention to. "Feedback" can often sound like a thing to fear. This book gives you the ability to understand that the problems when you give (or receive) feedback badly, and the tool to give and receive it effectively. The typography of the Kindle edition wasn't perfect, but that did not take away from the value of the messages. I'm hard pressed to think of someone who would not bene ...more
Torben Rasmussen
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Covers feedback from a great many angles forcing you to think, reflect and rethink many aspects of interaction, collaboration and communication. The structure and writing style was at odds with my learning habits when it comes to reading and required skipping back and forth all the time. Doesn’t work well with ebooks. Many examples and stories felt constructed and not so real.
These are minor gripes and the book contains a wealth of advice on how to master feedback. Instead of presenting one or t
Jeff
This is not just a great work book, but a great "life" book. Feedback is everywhere. We are givers and receivers of feedback have the ability to control how the feedback is either given or received, how it is processed/interpreted, and how to make the feedback process easier. Thanks Alex G. for the recommendation of this book. Wished I read it years sooner!
Ron Hurst
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best resources on feedback available. Sophisticated thoughtful and complete with a charming sense of humor
Luis Gonçalves
Leslie Knowlton
Apr 24, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »

• Nonviolent Communication: A Language of Life
  • Radical Focus: Achieving Your Most Important Goals with Objectives and Key Results
  • Agile Retrospectives: Making Good Teams Great
  • Scrum: The Art of Doing Twice the Work in Half the Time
  • Beyond Band of Brothers: The War Memoirs of Major Dick Winters
  • Skin in the Game: The Hidden Asymmetries in Daily Life
  • Becoming a Change Artist
  • Reinventing Organizations: A Guide to Creating Organizations Inspired by the Next Stage of Human Consciousness
  • Odium VI (The Dead Saga #6)
  • Blindspot: Hidden Biases of Good People
  • Talent is Overrated: What Really Separates World-Class Performers from Everybody Else
  • User Stories Applied: For Agile Software Development
  • Nobber
  • Confessions of a Sociopath: A Life Spent Hiding in Plain Sight
  • Coaching Agile Teams: A Companion for ScrumMasters, Agile Coaches, and Project Managers in Transition
  • Cult Insanity: A Memoir of Polygamy, Prophets, and Blood Atonement
  • Odium IV (The Dead Saga, #4)
  • Atmospheric Disturbances

News & Interviews

“I am vulnerable, but I am confident enough in myself and in you to expose my vulnerability.” 0 likes
“If we want to build, maintain, or test our relationships, feedback is our only source of information.” 0 likes