Start by marking “The Irish Slaves” as Want to Read:
The Irish Slaves

The Irish Slaves

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  114 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
They came in chains, under horrible conditions, and were sold to others who owned them completely. They were helpless. It sounds like a familiar story, but these people were not African. They were Irish, and they were slaves before African slavery became widespread. This is their story.
Published November 7th 2010

To ask other readers questions about The Irish Slaves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Irish Slaves

Madelaine Singleton
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I did not know

I went to Catholic schools. I am third generation Irish and I never heard this before. It's horrifying History is full of hate and victimization. Armenia. Jewish people Islamist terrorism. I shouldn't have been surprised. I shouldn't have had the feeling of sadness overcome my soul. I should have stopped reading and forgotten it. The story has to be told. History will repeat itself. The only hope is a change of heart
Apr 13, 2015 rated it liked it
pretty sad subject but good historical research

Although the subject of slavery and indentured servitude are not cheery, it was well researched and I learned a lot even if it was poorly edited. We should learn this in school. Now I have a new understanding of phrases like "spirited away ", "no Irish need apply", and "white trash".
Mike Monahan
Jun 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Inhumane humans

A well resourced account of the tragic story of the enslaved inhabitants of Erin. The formatting of this book leaves much to be desired (maybe just the Kindle edition?) There are also many typos...irritating. But an eye opening telling of the story of my ancestors. It was hard reading.
Cindy Mueller
May 27, 2015 rated it did not like it
Frequently repeats information with a boring style of writing.
R. A. Hildebrand
Jun 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: irish-history
A quick read that gives a decent overview of a fascinating subject that deserves more attention. It includes several quotations and citations from other works and historical documents that would definitely be worth tracking down. The poor editing and lack of citations for many of the statements made, however, regulates it to merely an introduction; I would not quote this book in a formal research paper. However, it was useful for getting a high-level view and finding several other more detailed ...more
Stephen M
Dec 31, 2017 rated it liked it
A
Kelly Bowker
May 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Very informative but extremely repetitive. She has a boring way of writing.
Donna Farley
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Historical information
CB Motsett
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A truly eye opening history. If you have any Irish heritage at all it will make your blood boil to learn of the wicked and pure evil treatment our ancestors were put through.
Mick Maye
Dec 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: ebook, irish, kindle
The title and synopsis interested me greatly however the book was very disappointing. I have little idea whether the facts stated are true or not, however the style of writing was boring and completely uninspiring. I stopped reading this a number of times and because of it size I managed to get it finished. I would not recommend this book to anyone.
G.k. Parker
Mar 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Very interesting book. The writing style was different than usual, short vignettes that jumped around without any noticeable cohesion. This didn't bother me and I would recommend this book to anyone interested in both the slave trade worldwide and Irish history in both Ireland and the New World.
Sean Doran
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent History!

It seems that our school text books are missing several pages and an entire chapter of important Irish history. Thank you for writing this book!
Jerry
Mar 18, 2015 rated it did not like it
very repetitive

This book was interesting for about the first 25 pages. After that it seemed to repeat the same thing over and over again. I would not recommend this book.
Frederick Nasser
Mar 17, 2015
carioca
May 24, 2014
Mrs. Zara Brady
rated it did not like it
Feb 07, 2018