Start by marking “The Scandalous Adventures of the Sister of the Bride (Millworth Manor)” as Want to Read:
The Scandalous Adventures of the Sister of the Bride (Millworth Manor)

The Scandalous Adventures of the Sister of the Bride

(Millworth Manor #3)

The bride and groom cordially request the presence of...

The bride's sister, Delilah, the very proper widowed Lady Hargate, and Samuel Russell, the groom's friend, a very eligible, slightly improper bachelor, at their upcoming wedding.

Lady Hargate and Mr. Russell, previously acquainted during one unforgettable night in New York City when caution--and clothing--were thrown
Published May 6th 2014 by Zebra Books (first published May 2014)

Be the first to ask a question about The Scandalous Adventures of the Sister of the Bride

Start your review of The Scandalous Adventures of the Sister of the Bride (Millworth Manor)
Farrah
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My Rating: 1.5/5

Unfortunately, I didn't like The Scandalous Adventures of the Sister of the Bride. And, honestly, it was only because of one thing: Delilah. If it hadn't been for her, I could have easily liked this book but, as it turned out, I didn't.

Delilah was not nice. She was mean, snobbish, rude, and quite a shrew. She tended to get judgmental, insist on staying on her high horse, and scorn anything she didn't agree with. Let me just give a quick example. Sam was investing in cars (called
Mskychick
2-1/2 stars. Won this book via First Reads from Goodreads.

This was an ok book by Victoria Alexander. I would have liked it much better without Delilah, or if Delilah pulled her head out of her a#$ and her nose out of the air (don't ask me how she manages to do both of these things at once! I don't understand it, but she can do these anatomically impossible feats with ease and without ceasing).

Delilah has been married before. It was not a good marriage, in part due to reasons that are revealed
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
A pleasant read, but not much conflict other than 'Will they, won't they?" A lighter historical romance with plenty of dialogue and conversations. About a couple who knows they aren't right for each other, although they feel so right together. Samuel is a really sweet guy, the kind of hero you can't help but love.

Overall rating: 3.5/5.0 stars

Reviewed for Affaire de Coeur Magazine for the May 2014 issue. http://affairedecoeur.com.
Desi
Mar 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining, straightforward novel. This one actually opened pretty daringly, with quite a unique ploy to grab the reader's attention. I like how innovative and full of the excitement of invention Alexander's books sometimes are. Sort of set on the cusp of modernity. It lends to a faster paced story with characters who have more flexibility in terms of their actions, while still being set in an interesting time period which the author has sufficiently researched (or at the least she gives a ...more
Susan
Good story of opposites attracting. Delilah is a proper, though young, Victorian widow, who during a trip to New York indulges in one night of "adventure". She intends it to be a onetime thing, with no intention or expectation of seeing Sam again before she returns to England. Samuel is an American businessman who is quite taken with her, and rather miffed at the way she blows him off. However, he too doesn't expect to see her again.

Fast forward a few months and Delilah is at Millworth Manor,
Artemiz
Apr 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, netgalley
Over a long time I read a wonderful historical romance book that did not include some mysterious "secret" that would end the life as we know it if it would come out. It was such a relief.

Victoria Alexander's book The Scandalous Adventures of the Sister of the Bride (deem this title is a mouthful :)) is about two people, who shared an "adventure", who can't stop think about each other, but they have nothing else common with each other, than this not jet very sure love. He is from America and
Kim
Delilah drove me nuts. And the ending was so disappointing.
Shauni
Originally reviewed for Bodice Rippers, Femme Fatales and Fantasy

What a great book! The Scandalous Adventures of the Sister of the Bride is book Three in Victoria Alexander's Millworth Manor Series and like all Ms. Alexander's work it's unique and fun.

The title alone grabs you doesn't it? And even more so when you realise that the Sister involved is the epitome of all that is proper. But sometimes all that proper is hiding something.

Delilah, the very proper widowed Lady Hargate, wanted an
Ruth
I'm sorry, but I didn't think much of this one, provided by the publisher through netgalley, at all. It wasn't so much the setting (over-the-top modern interpretation of a Victorian wedding), or that the book seemed to be more about 3 sisters and their relationship than about the hero-heroine romance, or that it seemed too long or even that the heroine was possibly the most irritating heroine I've read in a long time. No, my aversion was caused by all 4 issues in one book.

Pondering over it, this
Patty McKenna Van Hulle
The Scandalous Adventures of the Sister of the Bride (Millworth Manor, #3) by Victoria Alexander Victoria Alexander

What does an Arrogant American man and a proper English lady have in common? Absolutely nothing, but that is what makes this story so funny, special and heart warming!

Lady Delilah Hargate has always been the perfect and proper English lady and has never strayed off her path. When she chaperones her sister, Camille and her fiancé, Grayson to New York, she decides since no one knows her that she is going to have an Adventure. That adventure includes a sexy 'so-called' employee
Swanangel15's Book Review
The Scandalous Adventures of the Sister of the Bride is such a handful to say when people asked me what book was I reading, yet for some reason, very easy to remember; so bravo Miss Alexander for the clever title. I love this book and was totally disappointed at the ending. Let me tell you why.

Visit my blog for the rest of my review at:
Brittany
Apr 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historicals
I received this in exchange for an honest review on NetGalley. I actually really enjoyed it. The book was really funny and such a great read. I did not even realize that this was part of a series but I am looking forward to reading more for her.
Kathy Jund
Feb 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Victoria Alexander has a pen as sharp as her characters' wit! At last the awaited return of all who reside at Millworth Manor we await the upcoming wedding of Camille and Grayson at Millworth Manor! I enjoyed this story immensely!
mara
4/5 (B)
Jenni Schell
Apr 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-books
I, really, enjoyed this book. The main characters were quite funny throughout. It had a great story and love wins out in the end. A great read, indeed.
Deb Rohla
Mar 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book. It had a great storyline, wonderfully witty banter and overall it was a great read.
Linda Ortiz
"The Scandalous Adventures of the Sister of the Bride" was the first book I had read from Victoria Alexander. It semi-held my attention with the story of Delilah and Sam. They meet for the first time in New York and have what she called "adventure" (physical). After their first meeting, Sam thinks about her all the time. Surprising her by going to London for a wedding who happens to be her sister who is getting married. Of Course, Delilah is surprised, but also trying hard throughout the story ...more
Jackie
The one thing that always drives me crazy when reading this particular genre is the amount of toadying expected when dealing with the wealthier class in this genre.

What drives me even crazier though is how women were supposed to be pure as the driven snow, both married and unmarried females, yet the males could be bed hoppers and still be considered gentlemen rather than bounders.

There are a few other peeves but that is a big one.

Delilah and Samuels will they or won't they relationship woes may
Carla
Jul 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This book was ok, although it was a bit slow for me. I like Alexander's writing, but this heroine was over-the-stop stubborn and clueless which took away from my enjoyment of the story. Also, the emotional plot seemed much like the last book in the series (i.e. sparring couple). I am hoping that the next in the series is better. I do like the surrounding family ties, although somehow I think that I should have read more of the earlier books since other couples are turning up that I don't seem to ...more
Sandy Frediani
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was absolutely delightful. Delilah's battle between prim and proper/what's expected of her and the desire to break free of those restraints is something I think we all face at one time or another. That internal push/pull becomes even more exacerbated when Sam enters into it. I love the back-and-forth banter between Delilah and Sam. Very good.
Lynne Tull
For most of the book I was more interested in the sub-topic: The motorwagon. The back and forth between Delilah and any and all of the characters was tedious. Luckily in the last eight pages the 'happily ever after' occurred and put an end to the inanity of the heroine. I will stick with the series and can only hope the next installment is better and this one.
Cherie
Mar 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
Okay read but not exceptional. I like a story where the hero pursues the heroine so that part was good, it just didn't move very fast. I'm usually okay with slow burn stories as long as they are at least headed somewhere but this was was dull. I've read the others in the series but it's been a long time yet I didn't feel like I missed anything so I guess that means this story stands on it own.
April
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh. The heroine was a bit annoying so I had to fight to like her which made it hard to believe that the hero could fall in love with her. It was a battle the author fought too because the hero kept telling himself all the reasons he liked the heroine. It was a good story, just felt a bit too forced.
Angelica Morado-Young
I enjoyed this book very much! It was fun reading because the characters were conflicted and yet so attractive to each other. There is also twists and turns so everything is not predictable. I liked that it included the time of invention and progress in both America and England. Great ending!
Helena#bookdreamer
Feb 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Decent

I liked the intense sexual attraction between Sam and Delilah. The only thing I wasn't crazy about was their constant arguing. It became too repetitive and long. Other than that the story was pretty good.
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
I loved this book. The is the first book that I have read by Victoria Alexander and I hope to read many more if they are like this. The dialogue is so entertaining!
Natalie Norwood
I was not a fan of the heroine. She drove me crazy with her behavior and attitude toward the hero and everyone else in the book.
Sybil Mcguire
A lot of repetition.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 09, 2015 08:14AM

• A Devil of a Duke (Decadent Dukes Society, #2)
  • SEAL Camp (Tall, Dark and Dangerous, #12)
  • Nowhere Near Respectable (Lost Lords, #3)
  • A Matter of Class
  • Someone to Remember (Westcott #7)
  • The Masterful Mr. Montague (Casebook of Barnaby Adair, #2)
  • Duchess by Deception (Gilded #1)
  • Beyond Scandal and Desire (Sins for All Seasons, #1)
  • My One and Only Duke (Rogues to Riches, #1)
  • Beckman: Lord of Sins (Lonely Lords, #4)
  • Patience for Christmas
  • Someone to Trust (Westcott, #5)
  • The Pursuits of Lord Kit Cavanaugh (The Cavanaughs #2)
  • A Duke in the Night (The Devils of Dover #1)
  • A Match Made in Bed (Spinster Heiresses, #2)
  • A Christmas Promise
  • What a Lady Needs for Christmas (MacGregors, #4)
  • Forever Your Earl (The Wicked Quills of London, #1)

New York Times bestselling author Victoria Alexander was an award winning television reporter until she discovered fiction was much more fun than real life. She turned to writing full time and is still shocked it worked out.

Since the publication of her first book in 1995,

Millworth Manor (5 books)
  • What Happens At Christmas (Millworth Manor, #1)
  • The Importance of Being Wicked (Wicked Family Secrets, #3; Millworth Manor, #2)
  • The Shocking Secret of a Guest at the Wedding (Millworth Manor, #4)
  • The Daring Exploits of a Runaway Heiress (Millworth Manor, #5)