Start by marking “Operation Red Wings: The Untold Story Behind Lone Survivor (SOFREP)” as Want to Read:
Operation Red Wings: The Untold Story Behind Lone Survivor (SOFREP)

Operation Red Wings: The Untold Story Behind Lone Survivor (SOFREP)

Marcus Luttrell's blockbuster bestseller, Lone Survivor—soon to be a major motion picturetells the story of Operation Red Wings, in which four U.S. Navy SEALs were inserted into the mountains of eastern Afghanistan with the task of collecting intelligence and finding—or killing—a top al Qaeda commander. The SEALs were ambushed by over one hundred Taliban fighters and a ho ...more
Published December 17th 2013 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Operation Red Wings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Operation Red Wings

Ben Cooper
Sep 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Quick read, but unanswered questions remain

I purchased this book after reading the reviews. It was a quick read, and I, too, was left with more unanswered questions. There was some terminology that I was not familiar with as I was not in the military. I wish there was a map of the area to help explain some of the recovery based of the locations talked about in the book. I am happy that I read more about the recovery efforts not mentioned in Luttrell's book, but I am disappointed there was not mo
Paul Bassett
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Good read

I read this in one sitting. Quick and to the point. God Bless all SOF and any others down range.
Mark
Mar 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This short read (60 pages) details the 'other' side of the story told by Marcus Luttrell in Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10.

While Marcus tells the story of events on the mountain, Peter Nealen describes the search, rescue, and recovery operations that occurred in parallel with the Lone Survivor narrative.

If you started to read Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10, or you saw
William Van der Ven
Mar 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Concise and to the Point

Concise and to the Point

A definitive background review of the ill fated rescue operation that took place in Afghanistan, when a SEAL Team was compromised, three of it's four members killed, and the fourth granted hospitality and protection by the village leader and his sons. Although the operation and it's failure was poignantly described in the book Lone Survivor, by Marcus Luttrell, the subsequent rescue mission was only briefly mentioned. Operation Redwing fills that g
Jon
Jan 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short book, a recap of the rescue and recovery efforts, to bring home the remains of the three Navy SEALS killed, and the one survivor, of Operation Red Wings. Takes up where 'Lone Survivor' left off. Tremendous story of total effort by members of the Navy, the Army and the US Air Force. "Leave no one behind".

As a local side note, the PJ, Air Force member Joshua E. Appel, who directly helped get SEAL Marcus Lutrell off the mountain in Afghanistan, is now a civilian, and the Medical Director, Adu
Alexandre Zulato
Dec 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: war-memoir-usa
Though there is no great amount of new data for those who have read Lone Survivor and Victory Point, and watched the documentary The Taliban Gambit - Helicopter Missions, it does bring in a few bits and pieces that help us put the puzzle together, either by contrast to or by confirmation of other accounts. It is a slim package, a short but very interesting narrative. I'd definetely recommend it as both a refreshment/fine tunning to the afficionado and as a nice, brief companion to those who want ...more
Jason
Feb 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great Fast Read

After reading Lone Survivor I bought this book. It wasn't until after watching the movie did I remember that I never read this account of the story. SOFREP and Brandon Webb always put out good behind the scene stories. I really liked this book because it gives me a look at what happened behind the scenes with the rescue attempt. I would recommend this book to anyone that enjoyed reading Lone Survivor and watching the movie.
Richard Eldridge
Jul 29, 2014 rated it did not like it
Ugh! a bunch of technical data, intelligible to only those who get their jollies from reading repair manuals. If you are not a Seal, you will probably find this booooring, as I did. The author thinks he is presenting proof of another first person narrative. After about twelve pages of this, I no longer gave a damn about the Lone Survivor story. Afghanistan was a huge waste of time and money.
Wendy Hart
Jul 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Informative

Informative

I found that this book to fit well in conclusion to both the book and movie by Marcus, it provided a broader view of behind-the-scenes and what happened in regards to the retrieval of the bodies of remaining seals and other military personnel.
Roger D. Earl
May 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great story of a wartime recovery

This is a much more descriptive report of a mission to recover Navy Seals right from under the Taliban enemy fighters. If you like to study military maneuvers, you will like this book.

Michael Paro
Oct 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
CLOSURE

this gave me a more in-depth viewing of what took place after the action stopped.

I salute those who took part in operation red wing
Mar 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting. Great companion to Lone Survivor. Incredible story about REAL heroes.
Nissa Atkinson
Jul 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick read that was informative. It is a sad story but I need to read it as a follow up to Lone Survivor.
Scott Seggerman
Sep 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Red Wings

Very good read. Put a timeline of events together before I started to read about it. I loved that this was put out.
llemmon
Really great and an awesome book to go with Lone Survivor

Although a pretty short book, if you have read Lone Survivor, you must read this also! Great book to SOFREP!
Kent
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this after seeing the movie. This details the rescue/recovery.
Brendan Greeley
Kelsy
Dec 01, 2014
Jeffrey Meyers
Jan 26, 2014

• The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare: How Churchill's Secret Warriors Set Europe Ablaze and Gave Birth to Modern Black Ops
  • Shaping the World from the Shadows: The (Open) Secret History of Delta Force, Post-9/11
  • No Mission Is Impossible: The Death-Defying Missions of the Israeli Special Forces
  • The Kill Bill Diary
  • Gunship Pilot: An Attack Helicopter Warrior Remembers Vietnam
  • The Trident: The Forging and Reforging of a Navy SEAL Leader
  • Always Faithful, Always Forward: The Forging of a Special Operations Marine
  • Unflinching: The Making of a Canadian Sniper
  • Hill 488
  • Hammerhead Six: How Green Berets Waged an Unconventional War Against the Taliban to Win in Afghanistan's Deadly Pech Valley
  • Young Frankenstein: The Story of the Making of the Film: A Mel Brooks' Book
  • Perfect Spy: The Incredible Double Life of Pham Xuan An Time Magazine Reporter and Vietnamese Communist Agent
  • Worth Dying For: A Navy Seal's Call to a Nation
  • Under Fire: The Untold Story of the Attack in Benghazi
  • The Darkest Summer: Pusan and Inchon 1950: The Battles That Saved South Korea--and the Marines--from Extinction
  • The Story of World War II: Revised, expanded, and updated from the original text by Henry Steele Commager
  • Hyena Road
  • Hell's Angels: The True Story of the 303rd Bomb Group in World War II
Peter Nealen is a former Recon Marine, a veteran of Iraq and Afghanistan, and something of an aspiring renaissance man (emphasis on aspiring). He has long been a reader of history, philosophy, folklore, science fiction, and fantasy, and is the author of the American Praetorians series of paramilitary thrillers as well as the Jed Horn series of supernatural thrillers.