Start by marking “TED Talks Storytelling: 23 Storytelling Techniques from the Best TED Talks” as Want to Read:
TED Talks Storytelling: 23 Storytelling Techniques from the Best TED Talks

TED Talks Storytelling: 23 Storytelling Techniques from the Best TED Talks

NEW AND UPDATED EDITION WITH BONUS MATERIAL
"Every speaker can put these ideas into practice immediately -- and they should!"
~ Dr. Richard C. Harris, Certified World Class Speaking Coach

"An insightful read"
~Dennis Waller, Top 500 Reviewer

"Superb communication advice"
~ Larry Nocella

MASTER THE ONE THING ALL GREAT TED TALKS HAVE IN COMMON

What is the secret to
Published July 18th 2014 by AkashKaria.com (first published December 9th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about TED Talks Storytelling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about TED Talks Storytelling

Start your review of TED Talks Storytelling: 23 Storytelling Techniques from the Best TED Talks
Lori Tian Sailiata
May 27, 2016 rated it did not like it
Infomercial. A glorified blog post. The "meat" of the book is well covered in other books on public speaking.
Arun Divakar
Oct 06, 2015 rated it liked it
TED has had a tremendous impact on my life and thoughts both personally and professionally. I spent countless hours browsing through the talks and the whole idea of making a talk last only 18 minutes irrespective of the speaker appeals to me a great deal. The biggest benefit of this rule is that it automatically tunes out the irrelevant speakers and topics from this forum. The no-bullshit delivery of the speakers are sometimes so audacious that you cannot but help hang on to their words. It is ...more
Book
Aug 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
TED Talks Storytelling: 23 Storytelling Techniques from the Best TED Talks by Akash Karia

“TED Talks Storytelling" is a very helpful and succinct book on how to deliver a great TED (Technology, Entertainment, Design) talk. Professional speaker Akash Karia provides readers with a valuable tool that every professional should have. This useful 41-page book includes the following nine chapters: 1. The Magic Ingredient in Delivering a Great TED Talk, 2. The ‘Story Start’, 3. The Surprising Element
Flohallo
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, business
Very shallow principles for telling stories. Could be summed up as follows: Tell stories, use sensory details and dialogues, give conflict and make characters overcome conflict with the help of a principle that the listeners can take home and use themselves.
Vertrees
Sep 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great suggesting for improving a story. Most things I have heard before, and it was a nice review.
Anis Mohamed
Jul 02, 2016 rated it liked it
This is such a small book, not very well written, could have been made just an article, but I gave it 3 stars because it introduced me to a few TED talks that have opened the horizons to much much more learning, the techniques mentioned in the book are O.K. I think I will take with me 3 out of the 23.

But Sir Ken Robinson was super inspiring as a TED talker, I ended up watching all his talks, and I put one of his books on my reading list. Thus I thank this small book for this introduction.

Read it
Jason Mays
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thanks for the insights!

Great presentation on how to effectively communicate to an audience. I love TED talks when I can watch them. Here is to a better speaking ability!
Stephanie Sherie
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book/guide solidly delivered as promised but is proof that exact execution doesn't always entice the WOW factor. You will get to lightly dissect some of the best TED talks to see how it is that they delivered such knockout content. To keep your expectations in check, think of this as more of a how to guide than a book. What you will get from reading this guide is succinct, high level and formulaic storytelling technique. At the end of each chapter, the author repeats his points in a set of ...more
Keith Quackenbush
I’ll follow the advice in the book and open with a story, with personal connections, conflict, and characters.

Sitting at home, I quickly finished this book. Unsatisfied, I turned to my wife and said “Cheese”. She looked up from her book, interested to hear my thoughts. I then said “you could have written that”. Before I could catch myself, my brilliant quick witted babe responded ...”I could have written cheese?”

Oh no, a faux pas! I may have actually uttered the sound that Homer Simpson utters
Amanda
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The reason I originally picked this book up was for a college assignment in a storytelling class rather than a genuine desire to be a better speaker. That being said, I have to admit that this book provides awesome tips for public speaking! Anyone that will ever be asked to give a speech or presentation should read this short book. I really appreciated that the author didn't needlessly drag out his point but was instead succinct, and yet, descriptive. Karia describes what he means with each ...more
Padraic O Maille
Mar 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Once Upon a Time I’d Have Ignored This Book.

In Ireland, where I come from, we’re brought up on stories. At school; in the pub; with our families - we rejoice in telling stories.

The only thing is we seem to forget about storytelling when it comes to business. We become boring, banal and obsessd with powerpoint. That’s because we haven’t been taught how to structure and deliver our message in a story format.

This book will change that instantly. It’s powerful, punchy and immediately usable. I have
Marilyn
Nov 27, 2018 rated it did not like it
I read the Kindle edition. This little book shows that you can take what is essentially a three-page article and turn it into a 42-page book. As a storyteller, TEDx speaker, and speaker coach, I'm always interested in using storytelling in speaking and presentations. But there are other -- and better -- ways to access this information. The author's points are valid, but not particularly insightful or useful . And every single obvious point is stated at least twice in the body of the text and ...more
Sandrene
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As quick, informative and captivating as a TED Talk

This book provides great insight and tips for both the novice and experienced storyteller. It is a quick read with great bullet points and a summary outline at the end. Whether you’re doing public speaking, pitching an idea or just writing a novel or screenplay, these points are good to come back to over and over again. As someone who does all of the above, I plan to revisit these techniques anytime I’m working on something new.
Quinn
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
A short (60 pages) books with tips on how to give a TED Talk--which I took to mean, "telling a good story." The book is great for beginners. There are chapters on how to
--start a talk
--bring characters to life
--create mental motion pictures
--adding credibility to your stories
--the power of positive stories
--the spark, the change, the takeaway
Each chapter has an explanation and an example. Many give links to existing TED talks to show how it's done.
Each chapter has a tip list at the end.
Can't
Dan
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a masterclass in storytelling but it is more geared towards presenting your stories than telling them. So much more about Ted Talks than Moth Storytelling for instance. The emphasis here is on dramatic moments instead of on the honesty of the moment. It is a great book that references some amazing Ted talks in it examples and inspires the readers to look for excellence in their own lives.

I'd strongly recommend this if you are going to be doing a professional presentation in front of
Abish
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, short, 2k19
3.5/5

This isn't the book that tells multiple stories though it gives you examples which are very relatable as most of them are very popular Ted talks of all times

Facts highlighted in this books are undeniable
and almost true in all regards there are few things that I wouldn't be using as there is a professional code which partially apply to the people whose example is given ...

You have to see the videos too which is referred in the book they are very excellent and my all time favorite.
Robert Hausladen
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great study of some great talks.

Akash Maria really takes apart one of the essential elements of the best TED talks -- storytelling. Having watched a great many of these over the years I was delighted with his selections of talks to illustrate his points. I usually have reservations about books of a certain number of tips, but Akash does it quite well and really fits the analysis to the talk.
George Nash
Jan 04, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a free book from audible. At just under an hour long I gave it a try. The book is a short primer on adding stories to presentations. It references around 10 talks and tells what makes them good at story telling and what you as a speaker can do to emulate those talks. It pushes the idea that a good story is what makes a good presentation.

Its a good book but in some ways if feels more like an advertisement for author Akash Karia. Still I found it interesting.
Cinnamon Wolfe
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
A quick easy read (maybe like 15 min?) but should probably be used more as a guide while actually writing a talk so you can remember to add in his strategies while crafting. Storytelling is incredibly powerful and he uses some great examples to bring home his points. A good book to have with you as you write your next talk!
Lesley Looper
This was a quick yet informative read about TED Talks, with lots of tips for telling a better story. Near the end of the book, there was a section about Seth Godin and how he tells a great story. I'd recommend this one to others who are interested in becoming better public speakers.
Sandy Morley
Dec 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
Better salesmen knock on your door

There's no 23, there's no storytelling, and there's no techniques. The only thing I learnt from this was how blatantly you can (try to) direct people to a sales funnel without straight up asking for your money.

If you follow some of these "tips" for your next corporate presentation, you're asking to be taken off presentation duty forever.
Jevgenij
Jul 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
Do ideas presented in the book make sense? I guess they do. Will they make you a good storyteller - no they won't. All advice in the book is very shallow without any detail. E.g. "your story needs a conflict", but nothing on how to introduce such a conflict, how to develop it and how to resolve it properly.
Tamás Sisák
While I've loved the contents and couldn't put the book down, I can't help but agree with my fellow readers that the format, having it sold as a book, seems a bit forced – it could've been presented as an article, a blog post or even a short talk. It's a great introduction and a concise point of reference, but in the end it is still too short.
Ted Hagos
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very to easy to read. The chapters are short, each one very cohesive. I also liked the 'In a nugget" part that come before the close of every chapter; it provides a nice little summary and reinforces what you read
Anna
Jan 20, 2018 rated it liked it
The extremely short chapters included nice takeaways, but there was essentially nothing "new" here. He uses existing TED Talks to share his information and thoughts on how to tell stories. It's such a short book--it won't take you long, and it's simple formula is worth it.
Peacefully Snoozing by the Fire
Quick read but still very insightful. I’m very grateful the author didn’t stuff the book with useless filler unlike many self-help books. I hope to use many of these tips in public speaking, but also blog writing and short fictional stories writing.
Saalim Msfm
Nov 16, 2019 rated it liked it
A very fascinating and useful guide. Reading it in half an hour, I did very much enjoy the ride through ideas Akash so mesmerizingly illustrated. Somewhere in the middle of the book, it gets somehow obscure and dull although overall a delightful swift read.
Tony
Dec 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
This took no time at all to read through and contained enough information that could be covered in just one small chapter. Information that is easily available on the web. I was very disappointed. It really is a list of video's the author wants you to watch.
Lizzie
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good source of information

This book has lots of tips for almost every occasion when speaking and writing about what is going on and how to be affective in getting people to do the things you want them to.
Joscelin Yeung
Super concise in terms of storytelling techniques in a presentation, but there wasn’t really much value-adding information as we could have found those information online. Good recap for those interested in presentation though.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• TED Talks: The Official TED Guide to Public Speaking
  • 80/20 Sales and Marketing: The Definitive Guide to Working Less and Making More
  • Long Story Short: The Only Storytelling Guide You'll Ever Need
  • The Storyteller's Secret: How the World's Most Inspiring Leaders Turn Their Passion Into Performance
  • Epic Content Marketing: How to Tell a Different Story, Break Through the Clutter, and Win More Customers by Marketing Less
  • Connect Using Humor and Story: How I Got 18 Laughs 3 Applauses in a 7 Minute Persuasive Speech
  • The Coaching Habit: Say Less, Ask More & Change the Way You Lead Forever
  • Strength Training
  • The Coaching Mindset: 8 Ways to Think Like a Coach
  • Finish What You Start: The Art of Following Through, Taking Action, Executing, & Self-Discipline
  • The Heart of Leadership: Becoming a Leader People Want to Follow
  • Resonate: Present Visual Stories that Transform Audiences
  • Zone to Win: Organizing to Compete in an Age of Disruption
  • What Women Want in a Man: How to Become the Alpha Male Women Respect, Desire, and Want to Submit to
  • The Art of Witty Banter: Be Clever, Be Quick, Be Interesting - Create Captivating Conversation
  • Practical Female Psychology: For the Practical Man
  • New Sales. Simplified.: The Essential Handbook for Prospecting and New Business Development
  • What Great Principals Do Differently: 15 Things That Matter Most
Akash Karia is a professional speaker who has trained thousands of people worldwide, from bankers in Hong Kong to yoga teachers in Thailand to senior executives in Dubai. He is an award-winner trainer who has been ranked as one of the Top 10 Speakers in Asia-Pacific.

He writes books on public speaking and success, sharing proven tools and techniques for the price of a cup of coffee. What separates
“The number one thing that makes a story irresistible - that has audience members sitting on the edge of their seats, totally captivated by your every word - is conflict. What do I mean by conflict? Conflict refers to a fight. It’s a fight between opposing forces. A fight between life and death. A fight between hate and forgiveness. A fight between freedom and oppression. As long as there are two strong, opposing forces that make the outcome of the story uncertain, a story will be gripping. It keeps us engaged. It keeps us curious. It makes us ask the question, “What will happen next?” 0 likes
“IN A NUTSHELL Analyzing the effect a presentation has on you is a fantastic way to learn what works and what doesn’t when it comes to public speaking. If you don’t grab your audience’s attention within the first thirty seconds, your audience will mentally tune out of your presentation. Don’t bore your audience with introductory remarks. Begin with a story. Stories are powerful because people are hardwired to listen to stories. Stories take your audience on a mental journey. Audiences cannot resist a well-told story even if they try.” 0 likes