Start by marking “The INTP: Personality, Careers, Relationships, & the Quest for Truth and Meaning” as Want to Read:

INTPs love to think and philosophize. They see themselves as questing for truth and meaning. Not only do they seek to know the truth about reality, but to cultivate an abundant and meaningful life. Unfortunately, getting a firm hold on truth and meaning often proves trickier than they anticipate.

Complicating matters further is INTPs’ concern for finding and securing
Published December 1st 2013 by Inquire Books

To ask other readers questions about The INTP, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The INTP

Start your review of The INTP: Personality, Careers, Relationships, & the Quest for Truth and Meaning
Stephen
This is by far the most accurate and most helpful resource for the INTP personalty type that I have ever encountered. It discusses all of the most meaningful topics for an INTP, and answers a lot of questions with sound arguments. I can relate so much to what is in here regarding careers, relationships, social interaction, life in general. It also addressed the development issues that INTPs find challenging, and some flaws that INTPs may not want to admit to. And it does so from the voice of ...more
Charity
Mar 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Short read, but gives a lot of insight into the INTP personality type and how our inferior functions wreak havoc in our life. I could identify with a lot of it (all but the secret romanticism, yet I suspect if I'm honest with myself, that's true too) -- so much so that I underlined about a zillion passages. A smart, sincere read that highlights the pros and cons of the type.
Cyn Bagley
May 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I have been misclassified as ISTP and INTJ. When I read those personality types I couldn't see myself in them. Finally in college when I was getting my Master's degree, I had the most accurate test yet. I was classified as INTP. Now over a decade later I have a book that tells me what it means. Plus it was like Dr. Drenth was reading my mind. It was the first time I thought that the Meyer's Briggs test was something more than a load of hooey.

Good read and the section on an inferior feeling (Fe)
Cristian Baltoc
Feb 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Relationship dynamics are always more complicated than a book can contain but this is a must-read for anyone who is an INTP or who is in a relationship with one. Establishing the basis of how INTPs think and interpret, their (very important to them) needs and wants beforehand can avoid a lot of unpleasant and tense situations in relationships. A lot of people put little faith in the Myers Briggs typologies but, so far, I can definitely identify with a lot of the mental processes in my specific ...more
Sumit Ghosh
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-college
When I first encountered MBTI, I was very excited to find a type to relate to, as I've always felt that I am different—not in a egoistic way—than others. This led me to a rabbit hole of online articles and discussion threads on forums, but as it is usual with INTPs, I became kind of bored with it. Especially because they all started to sound simtilar to me, and rather stereotypical. Also, as I started exploring and experiencing existential and philosophical questions in my own life, I was ...more
Annie
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is super effin creepy. I expect many nuances because typology tends to be generalization but damn, this book describes me to a T! I gotta share this book with some people who are baffled by how I think.
Manuel
May 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this little book about the INTP personality type. I would say I fit 90% of what the author described were the strengths and weaknesses of the "Architects". It was like I was reading my autobiography! It's worthy of a second reading.
William
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The high rating is not because the book is well-written (although the writing is fine). It is just creepy to read your profile that has pegged you so completely.
John
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Essential instruction manual for INTPs, the rest of you can move along ...

In typical INTP fashion, I've always found MBTI personality types interesting, but a bit unconvincing. I have equivocated over which type best describes me, objected to the dryness of the top-level INTP description ("objective analyst"), and generally found the whole thing to be a bit superficial and pseudo-science-y.

All the above is exactly what you'd expect from an INTP ... and I have to admit, this book has me banged to
Hrishika Shetty
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I felt that the book eerily described me. I also liked the fact that the author suggested guidelines rather than clear cut solutions in order to overcome common INTP challenges. I mean, what would an INTP do with easy answers after all..haha. More than half the fun lies in the journey! I must say though that I did benefit from a lot of things mentioned in the book. A lot of the advice or insights helped explain behaviours that I have often found difficult to explain to myself. They will also ...more
Sherise
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Going into reading this book, I totally thought I was an INTP...and I definitely resonated with a lot of the characteristics discussed in this book. However, the last chapter, discussing common types INTP's mistake themselves for, made me wonder if I may need to take a second look at my type.

Other than that, Drenth does a masterful job of making complex personality theory very digestible by the layman. I did find his perspective to be a little more "you can't change who you are" than I'd like -
Wasio Abbasi
May 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have followed Personality Junkie website for a couple of years and reading this book has given me a whole new perspective. As an INTP there are plenty of questions in my mind, majority of which made more sense after reading this book.
From the inner restlessness to careers and relations, this book covers all the important aspects of INTPs life and how they deal with them. It doesn't treat everything in black and white, rather provide facts and some opinions (especially in Relationship section)
Ashley Vu
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Being very INTP, I find psychology typology is an absolutely amazing tool to explore yourself and maximise your potentials. Most of the book is accurate in explaining many of my tendencies and the underlying drivers behind them, and also gives very good advices. Some parts of the book though I find is quite biased - but understandable considering it’s impossible to generalise human being’s complex nature.
Tom
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most useful guides to the INTP Myers-Briggs type currently available. Drenth's work struck me as at times almost oracular in terms of insights and "how did it *know* that about me?" revelations, and for that reason alone would be a useful read for INTPs and those seeking to know more about them. The breadth of the book is also remarkable, covering the theory behind the INTP, then showing how it applies in a wide variety of life areas, including relationships and careers.
Ferial Alloush
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
So far the most accurate description of an INTP, i would say that 80-90% applies.
I liked how it addresses our inferior function (extroverted feeling) since it's often neglected.
Many ugly and bitter truths that might be difficult to handle.
Samuel Rødal
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommended reading for INTPs and people who interact closely with them. Scary how closely it matches my own experiences.
Jaya
Absolutely Stunning

I've been searching for years to find myself, though I already knew the answer. I think I just needed the right information presented to me in the right way at the right time. This book was pivotal for me. In conjunction with other sources, I spent time working to understand myself, my inclinations, my strengths and my desires. It helped me move forward on the path I was choosing for myself with even more conviction.

As an INTP, I can't tell you what an amazing experience it is
Scott Bergman
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: intps
I wish it was even longer! I’ve never highlighted a book so heavily. Just about everything seemed relevant and accurately portrayed. It was a bit bleak, but better to accept ones reality and move forward from there than deny it. This allowed me to see myself more clearly but I wish there was more information about strategies for mitigating some of the shortcomings of the personality type. For example, what are realizations or practices, in addition to meditation, to minimize our emphasis on ...more
Deniz
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommend to all INTPs. (That's a Myers-Briggs Type Indicator for the uninitiated.)

Got me to understand for the first time that INTP is not simply I & N & T & P but more the encoding of a different functional stack that includes extroverted and sensing elements. Major a-ha moment for me. An absolute must if you want something like an introductory owner's manual to your INTP self structures. (I can't possibly see why you wouldn't.) While this whole thing might sound like
Andrew Lord
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In many ways, reading this was pretty much like looking myself in the mirror, with some interesting insights that enabled a deeper dive into my inner motivations. Yes, sorry to everyone out there, but I do love discussing ideas and theories (in extreme depth) FAR more than day-to-day "what did you do today" small talk. Please don't take it personally.

As with any book based off a single personality test (no matter how accurate the test), take some of it with a grain of salt. A standard INTP is
Chris
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fuark. Spot on. I know there's alot of criticism around the scientific validity of this, but I think it deserves to be regarded with more value. Sure, the test and identification of types may be unreliable. The theory behind classifying (highly complex) people into (simple) types is questionable. But the point is to identify certain patterns and tendencies - not outright classifications. A lot of insight into yourself can be gained. Your strengths, weaknesses, behaviour patterns and suggestions ...more
Thomas
May 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very interesting read for INTPs. I find it both comforting and concerning that the human mind has been studied so thoroughly that I can be broken down into an archetype that fits me so well. It has comforted me to know that there is logic to some of my seemingly irrational thoughts and feelings, but I'm concerned that this type of knowledge can be (and is commonly) used to control the public at large.

Anyway, I loved it. Very insightful. This book definitely helped me along my path to
Stephanie Kruk
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: typology
Reading this gave me the eerie feeling someone had set up camp in my brain and taken notes. It’s influence in helping me better grasp the effects of functional stacking (particularly inferior Fe) can’t be rated highly enough. Because of this book, I finally understand what I need to do to reach personal fulfillment and I’m changing my career path, pursuing typology counseling rather than Human Resources.
Brock
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
How can I make sense of the world if I don't understand myself?

This is a great resource for INTP's who want to navigate a path to a meaningful life, and as this book explains, all INTP's are searching for truth and meaning. That makes this an essential book for all the INTPs out there (all 70M of us).
Paul
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I powered through this book in no time as it talked to me about who I am more accurately than anything I have ever read. I am truly astonished, not only with the uncanny revelations but also that there are other people who think like me as I can’t remember meeting them. I wish I had read this 30 years ago but glad I have now.
Malvika Leima
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I feel like I could just hand this book to my future s/o instead of having to explain myself.

Book described me to a T- from how i idealized an academia career to the emotional pull felt towards Fe doms. A must read for all INTPs, short, concise and very accurate. A book i could always refer back to. Good read.
Ryan Vilano
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Best resource I'd found regarding my personality type. Before this book, I was obsessed with MBTI for several years. After reading, I felt that I understood more about myself and came to terms with some personal insecurities. My obsession with MBTI ended and I've been living quite well ever since.
Laura Kinch
Jun 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Best INTP book/description/advice I've read. Spent the whole time reading it alternating between 'dang I'm awesome' and 'oh.... oh that's why I do that crud...'. Must read if you're an INTP (or are/want to date one).
Nik
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have been type as INFJ most of the times but somehow I feel like INFJ description does not truly tap into me. This book conveys what's going on in my mind and feeling. There are things I don't like as they are hard to accept but the truth.
Michael Olivera
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Insightful

Every INTP should read this book to better understand themselves. It will serve as a guide for you to better deal with you environment and other people.

• The Secret Lives of INTPs
  • The INFP Book: The Perks, Challenges, and Self-Discovery of an INFP
  • The Art of Procrastination: A Guide to Effective Dawdling, Lollygagging and Postponing
  • Solving the Procrastination Puzzle: A Concise Guide to Strategies for Change
  • Discipline with Dignity: New Challenges, New Solutions
  • Stern Men
  • Our Final Invention: Artificial Intelligence and the End of the Human Era
  • Closer: Notes from the Orgasmic Frontier of Female Sexuality
  • Người Quảng đi ăn mì Quảng
  • The Desire Map
  • The Complete Software Developer's Career Guide: How to Learn Programming Languages Quickly, Ace Your Programming Interview, and Land Your Software Developer Dream Job
  • The World As I See It
  • Deep Medicine: How Artificial Intelligence Can Make Healthcare Human Again
  • The Sentient Machine: The Coming Age of Artificial Intelligence
  • Think Like a Futurist: Know What Changes, What Doesn't, and What's Next
  • The Comprehensive INFP Survival Guide
  • Analysis Without Paralysis
  • 365 Taoism Quotes: Daily Taoism Quotes to Become More Congruent, Peaceful and Thankful
“Since Fe is INTPs’ inferior function, it is often more sensitive and less resilient than it is in FJ types. This can make INTPs extremely uncomfortable in emotional situations, especially those involving potential conflict or disharmony. Because of their Fe's concern for maintaining external harmony (or what may be better understood as its discomfort with disharmony), INTPs may abstain from expressing their judgments in order to avoid unsettling others. While not as overtly warm or effusive as FJ types, INTPs can be sensitive to others’ feelings and may go out of their way to avoid hurting or offending them. For instance, in the midst of a discussion, an INTP may want to explain how human mating practices are primarily a product of evolutionary pressures. But if she suspects that others may take offense to such an explanation, she may withhold it to avoid introducing disharmony. Although functioning as superficial peacemakers, INTPs are generally slower to go out of their way to help others (at least in direct, hands-on ways). Especially early in their development, most forgo community service and avoid investing extensive time and energy helping others. This is particularly evident when under stress. If burdened by too many external pressures or demands, INTPs' willingness to help others is one of the first things to go. In short, INTPs’ Fe is more concerned with preserving harmony than it is with extensive helping. This is especially true early in life, when they have yet to achieve their Ti goals. Once those goals have been satisfactorily met, however, they may become more benevolent. We can see this with Einstein, for instance, who displayed increasing beneficence and generosity toward people in the second half of his life.” 2 likes
“INTPs can be hoarders and misers of time. Their objective is to maximize time to themselves for exploring and developing their interests. So whenever another person enters their personal space, INTPs may worry over what might happen to their cherished time. If INTPs are happy in their careers, time may be a relative non-issue, since they will have plenty of time to satisfy their Ti and Ne at work. If not, however, they may come to see their partner as a potential threat to their time and freedom.

With all that said, what would seem an admirable reason for INTPs to participate in a relationship is out of genuine interest in their partner. This would typically involve a love for his or her mind and ideas, the type of partner David Keirsey has dubbed a “mindmate.”
1 likes