Start by marking “Serengeti Shall Not Die” as Want to Read:
Serengeti Shall Not Die

Serengeti Shall Not Die

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  129 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Published (first published 1959)

Dora Okeyo
Apr 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Serengeti Shall Not Die is an account of two guys- who give up everything to come to Tanzania and for their love of wildlife, Father (Bernhard) and Son (Michael) learn that humans are a threat to animals. With increased poaching, trade of animal skin and horns- and clearing forests to settle humans is surely killing wildlife and they do everything to ensure the world knows that wildlife is precious and needs to be preserved.

Michael dies while flying their plane and Bernhard is left with the task
Buddy
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Afrikas Natur hat mich einfach...Ich liebe es und freue mich dort bald selbst zu stehen😆
Greg
Feb 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
I read this book in High School in 1973, and was struck how committed Bernhard (48 years) and his son Michael Grzimek (23 years) were, to give up everything (Bernhard was a zoo director and said he had never done anything particularily 'adventuresome' in his life) and fly their 'Zebra' stripe painted Cessna plane from Germany to Tanzania. There on the magnificent plains of the Serengeti, they begin the first comprehensive wildlife surveys and migration studies.

The tragedy was that soon after th
Mike Pennington
Oct 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviews
I read this because I am going to Serengeti next month and I was interested in some of the history of the place. I have to admit I had not heard of Bernhard Grzimek and his son Michael and their pioneering work in the Serengeti. Rather sadly, despite the work they did to preserve or enlarge the national park, they failed, and Ngorongoro Conservation Area (which does not have the same protection ) was removed for the Serengeti National Park before all their work was published, despite the work th ...more
Shree
Sep 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing
The first non-fiction i read at a very VERY impressionable age. Next to black beauty, this book altered my attitude towards animals, both wild and domestic.

This book takes us across to the southern part of africa, around Botswana, tracking the migration of millions of animals across the Kalahari.

As the father-son duo take census of the number of animals there, we come across their everyday difficulties and amusing incidents.
Bob Stocker
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Bernhard Grzimek and his son Michael flew their small airplane low over the Serengeti in the late 1950's counting wild animals and studying migration patterns. Serengeti Shall Not Die tells about their adventures.
Kousthuba
Apr 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
wish i waz in paradise -The Serengati
Bholdsworth7
Dec 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Amazing story of the Serengeti - He and his son's efforts to document the Great Migration so as to preserve and protect the wildlife is great reading. A must read read if you travel to Serengeti
Rajiv
Apr 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Superb book by one of the great conservationists of our time and one that I plan to reread when Im en route to Arusha.
Uday Rao
Apr 23, 2014
Konstantin Yordanov
Apr 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Bernhard Klemens Maria Grzimek was a renowned German zoo director, zoologist, book author, editor, and animal conservationist in postwar West-Germany.