Start by marking “Gwynne's Latin: The Ultimate Introduction to Latin Including the Latin in Everyday English” as Want to Read:

‘Latin is "it", the most wonderful "thing". It is mind-enhancing, character-improving, enthralling, exciting, deeply satisfying, and valuable. My solid determination is to spare no pains to do it the justice that its importance demands.’

Mr Gwynne, author of the Sunday Times bestselling phenomenon Gwynne’s Grammar, is just as emphatic about the importance of Latin as he is
ebook
Published April 10th 2014 by Ebury Digital

To ask other readers questions about Gwynne's Latin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gwynne's Latin

Michael Arnold
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Over the past half a year I have been slowly improving my Latin, as a hobby. This book has really helped.

During my time reading this book I've been reading reviews and some of the commentaries around it, mostly blogs and internet reviews, and there are a few things that seem worth commenting on. I'm not at a stage where I've mastered everything in this book - but I feel I will get there eventually. There is, which is surprising for such a short book, a lot to learn here.

Gwynne promises that al
Julian King
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A long overdue antidote to the muddle of C20th Latin teaching: Gwynne (sorry; Mr Gwynne) puts his money where his mouth is and sets out to teach his reader(s) - and I hope there will be many - more Latin in half an hour than in any number of years' 'working' through the more modern course books currently on the market.

The exposition of his method (little more, really, than a rousing call for a return to traditional teaching - and what's wrong with that?) is lucid and convincing.

One is certainly
Flor de Saepe
Jul 18, 2018 rated it liked it
I would recommend this cute yellow booklet to anyone who wishes to *revise* their knowledge of Latin grammar. Gwynne outlines a relevant cross-section of Latin core grammar, but the course also comprises some stimulating translation exercises which aid in reviewing and mastering grammar. Especially the English-to-Latin assignments contribute to one's awareness of the nuances of the language and thus ultimately to one's reading capacities. Worthy of praise is the chapter on word order. Gwynne's a ...more
Josh
Oct 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gwynne's Latin is a bit of a mixed bag. It is very dedicated to his methodology, but it is quite a stretch to call it the Ultimate anything. This book only yields to the student that which they put into it - an essential truth of any language text book, ancient or modern. I will say that of the various text books using the traditional method, I've found this to be the most directly effective in terms of drilling paradigms in a useful order as well as pushing forward at a steady pace. However it ...more
Alex Ousback
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This book is straight nonfiction. There is nothing to review by way of the book's plot or characters, but the information contained within the novel is presented very well and is certainly valuable if you find Latin valuable. Its short length implies a short read, but contained within the pages are hours and hours of memorization in every single chapter. I didn't like the voice of the author in this story. He is haughty and pretentious. Congrats Gwynne, you know Latin. At one point he literally ...more
Teri
Feb 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: homeschool
This is the most charming little Latin book I've come across-- or, perhaps, it is the author I find so charming. This cute little yellow book describes itself as "the ultimate introduction to Latin". It is, indeed, only an introduction to the grammar... you'll need another course to delve further. The author asserts that Latin will "make you better at everything else." His enthusiasm for the language is infectious. The author is classically trained, a definite plus for me. He is definitely "old ...more
Jason
Jun 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Accomplished, thorough, well balanced; conversational, "Dear Reader", but Latin can be a little overwhelming for a new student. This will not be your final grammar (Gildersleeve's) but accomplishes its goal of installing value for and providing a good introduction to the language. Great as a primer before starting a formal course.
Aeolus
Dec 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
I found the introductory material (all of the stuff before the lessons) quite tedious to read as well as a bit hypocritical, ironic and self-righteous at times. However, despite my dislike towards Gwynne's style of writing, I think this book is very good and am tempted to buy myself a copy.
Richard Hurst
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sped through this on Kindle whilst on a longish train journey. It's a fascinating read, the piece around the US 'experiment' of teaching Latin to one set of children and the difference it made is quite stunning. Now need to go and do the book properly, to learn the subject.
Stephen
Hywel Gruffydd
Sep 04, 2015
Henry Saunders
Dec 17, 2016
Nevile Martin Gwynne is a British writer who has gained recognition for his book, Gwynne's Grammar. He has also written Gwynne's Latin. He spent his early days in Gloucestershire before attending Eton College and Oxford University, graduating with a degree in Modern Languages.

Formerly a successful businessman, Mr Gwynne has for many years been teaching and tutoring just about every sort of subjec