Start by marking “The Poems Of Richard Wilbur” as Want to Read:
The Poems Of Richard Wilbur

The Poems Of Richard Wilbur

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  89 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
This collection includes Advice to a Prophet and Other Poems, Things of This World, Ceremony and Other Poems, and The Beautiful Changes and Other Poems.

"One of the best poets of his generation, Richard Wilbur has imagined excellence, and has created it." —Richard Eberhart, New York Times Book Review
Published September 25th 1963 by Mariner Books (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about The Poems Of Richard Wilbur, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Poems Of Richard Wilbur

John
Jan 19, 2015 added it
I have been reading Richard Wilbur for about 30 years now. I generally do not like to read poetry from any e-reader. I prefer the printed page upon which to absorb the poem.

Having said that, I wanted to revisit Wilbur and thought one of his books on my Nook would be a good idea. This book is a good collection of several of his books.

His poems are very readable. The language is beautiful -- a very tempered use of rhyme, meter, varying forms. In my opinion, the finest living poet we have, by far.

T
Skip Collins
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Reread this in one evening, after learning of Wilbur's death.
Bryan
Although I read through this entire collection, Richard Wilbur's collection of poetry is simply going to have to go back up on the shelf for another read someday. Of the nearly 200 poems collected here, I found only four that affected me in any meaningful way. I am prepared to accept total blame for that--I have been trying (more unsuccessfully than not) to read more poetry, to force it to give up its secrets. That may very well be my problem right there, I don't know, but Wilbur's poetry was ve ...more
J. Alfred
May 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
I've seen Wilbur in a number of anthologies, which makes him, together with Auden and possibly Maya Angelou, about the only post-1960s poets on whom we have any consensus that this person is good and deserves to be read by future generations. I tend to think he deserves the honor. I can imagine a grizzled older Modernist saying of him, as elder-statesman Shaq is said to have opined on the young Paul Pierce, "he's the [compound adjective deleted] Truth."
Check out his "Love Calls Us to the Things
Денис Бурчаков
Mar 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Well, Mr. Wilbur is nice and pretty contemporary. But unfortunately his writings are so behind russian poetic tradition, that I can only pity anglophones, for whom poets like Wilbur are pinnacles of modern poetry.
Laurie
Jan 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
By far, the best poet still writing today.
Michael Borshuk
Jun 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Even any superlatives I could offer would seem so silly, given Wilbur's stature. I'll leave it at this: one of the titans.
Jeremy
Jun 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
I don't pretend to understand or get everything Wilbur is doing here, but there are numerous gems that I'm hoping I'll return to over the years.
Ryan Leng
F. Johnny
Mar 22, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Early years :

Wilbur was born in New York City and grew up in North Caldwell, New Jersey.He graduated from Montclair High School in 1938, having worked on the school newspaper as a student there. He graduated from Amherst College in 1942 and then served in the United States Army from 1943 to 1945 during World War II. After the Army and graduate school at Harvard University, Wilbur taught at Wesleya
More about Richard Wilbur