Start by marking “Remote Control” as Want to Read:
Remote Control

Remote Control

(Nick Stone #1)

Tough, resourceful, ruthless – as an SAS trooper, Nick Stone was one of the best. Now he’s back on the streets. After a botched mission, the Regiment no longer want his services. But British Intelligence does – as a deniable operator. It’s the dirtiest job in a very, very dirty world.

In Washington DC, it’s about to get dirtier still. On the apparently routine tail of two t
Published 2013 by Apostrophe Books (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Remote Control, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Remote Control

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by John le CarréThe Bourne Identity by Robert LudlumThe Spy Who Came In from the Cold by John le CarréThe Day of the Jackal by Frederick ForsythThe Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy
Best Spy Novels
1,033 books — 1,860 voters
Comrades of Deceit by Anthony HulseInsanity Never Sleeps by Anthony HulseThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonGone Girl by Gillian FlynnNocturnal Meetings of the Misplaced by R.J. Garcia
Best Modern Thrillers
2,398 books — 94 voters

More lists with this book...

Lewis Weinstein
I was surprised by how much I liked this book.

It started out as another "high action" thriller, the kind of book I like to read at night to clear my mind after the "research-for-my-writing" I often read during the day.

Then an eight year old girl named Kelly came onto the scene and everything changed.

The action is sustained from beginning to end, presented with the edge that only someone who has really been there can command. The writing is crisp. What early on struck me as too much detail beca
Thomas
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first experience with Andy McNab’s Nick Stone books, and this one was a blast. Given that McNab was a former member of the SAS, and a highly decorated one, I was looking for something good and this more than met my expectations.

The novel begins in Gibraltar, where Stone and his fellow soldiers are putting a halt to Irish bombings, then fast forwards 9 years where Stone’s mission in Washington is suddenly terminated. Following this Stone decides to visit his friend Kev and his family.
Graham
Dec 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
McNab’s first fiction effort is a corker of a book, following a by-now familiar pattern in its structure but still remaining as fresh as its day of release.

The action-packed plot sees McNab’s hero Nick Stone taking out Irish bombers in Gibraltar, before we suddenly jump forward nine years and find him investigating the brutal slaying of a fellow SAS man in Washington. Before you know it, McNab concocts an enthralling odd-couple chase thriller, as Stone is forced to fly with the now-orphaned 7 y
Cat
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually really enjoyed this. It's the sort of action story where the protagonist doesn't just go through crap to come out as the saviour - Nick Stone goes through crap, and then more crap, and then to top it off, even more crap.

I really enjoyed the action and the thought processes behind characters' decisions. I also really liked that there were real events sprinkled into the story too. There was a description of a fight in this book that made me feel a bit sick, but to be honest, that made m
Jim Whitefield
Feb 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Author Andy McNab is ex-SAS and he weaves a detailed knowledge of not just what happens in the covert military world, but often explains exactly how the little things are done and achieved, throughout his masterly work. In this edge-of-your-seat thriller, that ability just adds spice to the gripping storyline. This is a most unusual setting and has a side to it that is enthralling, breath-taking, and at times very worrying, but it would immediately spoil things if revealed. All I can say is that ...more
Bob
Aug 31, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I said in a previous review, he's a really good story-teller. This is a well-composed story of drug-smuggling and government abuse of power. From someone else you might just accept that as part of the story, from McNab you'd suspect that it was simply well-informed. I was most impressed with the character of the young girl. He clearly knows eight-year-old girls well enough to know what they are really like, but can also put one through the experience of having her family killed and then havin ...more
Gem
Aug 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: five-star
Meet Nick Stone - cool, calm and collected with plenty of finesse and a level head in every situation. Stone really is a 'too good to be true' kind of character. And I love him!

I read this book a long time ago on a plane but I know that it was one of my favourites. The techniques that McNab outlines evidently come from experience and the action never lies dormant for long. I can remember this one being a little more complicated to read than the likes of Chris Ryan and Lee Child but it is very mu
Trung
Jun 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read on the end of being an enjoyable action thriller. It's written smartly without having to sacrifice to become simplistic. McNab's an author who will just use a phrase and explain it easily without having a huge lull in the action. You can tell that he was somebody who did the deed back in the day and isn't afraid to relay that information through his character, Nick Stone.

Maybe if I read enough of these books, I'll be able to have enough know how of tradecraft to get by if I ever neede
Marianna
4.5*
Bellissimo, non fosse per qualche tecnicismo di troppo che in alcune pagine fa un po' calare la palpebra (è interessante, però io di fucili e armi varie non ci capisco niente, perciò alla lunga era noioso leggerne a riguardo).
Il protagonista mi ha convinta al 100%, e l'involontaria collaborazione con una bimba dolcissima ha smorzato bene i momenti di suspence più affilati, rendendo tutto un buon compromesso fra azione e momenti più tranquilli.
Primo esperimento con le spy story: riuscitissimo
Jim McGowan
Oct 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first Nick Stone novel, and one of the best. A more involved plot (something I find lacking in the more recent Stone novels), and a real page turner. Much more 'down and dirty' that other 'spycraft' novels I have read, and the main character is very engaging.
L.M. Mountford
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The thing to remember about this book is it was written in the 90s. Nowadays there are tons of films and books about ex-special forces/spys getting lumbered with a kid and having to protect them from people trying to kill them, and at the same time learning to care about them. It's a trite idea, but this was one of the first to do it. And unlike all the other, Andy McNab is former SAS, he's the best of the best, so everything in this book is as real as it gets!

Loved this book from start to finis
Christopher
Moderately disappointed in this book, which was very surprising. I had read Andy McNab's Bravo Two Zero in the mid 90s and loved it, and as a result, perhaps I set the bar too high for this, which was McNab's first novel.

In Bravo Two Zero--McNab's account of his SAS team in action in Iraq during the 1991 Gulf War--he showed considerable talent for first-person narrative and description. His insights into the demands on special forces operatives were very colorful and a pleasure to read. He knows
Simone Perren
This is the first Andy McNab book that I have ever read which actually works out well because it is also the first one he has ever written. For the most part I really enjoyed it but there were a couple of points which I think need to be sorted out before the next book in the series.
This book follows Nick Stone finding the bodies of his friend's family, all murdered in their own home. He thinks that all of the family have been killed but just before he is about to leave the house, he realises tha
Pete Marchetto
Dec 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first five-star book for a while for a work which, while not in my most favoured genre, pressed all the right buttons and then some for what it is. So much so I actually enjoyed it.

Nick Stone is an agent running out of London. Sent to the USA on the heels of some members of the provisional IRA he is suddenly called off the case. He decides to visit an old friend and erstwhile companion-in-arms, but arrives to find him - and all his family bar one - brutally murdered. The lone survivor, a seve
Helen
Aug 20, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this because my husband loved it. And I can see why; a British special forces operative has to track down the dirty dogs who killed his friend’s family at the same time that he's caring for their surviving seven-year-old daughter. Written by the most highly decorated SAS soldier, ever. What could be bad about that?

He sure has the little girl thing down. He knows what they like to eat, he knows what they like to wear, he knows what they like to talk about, and how they want to be a part of
Terry
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, shelf017
This is an absolute gem of a book. A first class thriller with superb and on point pacing. A lot really comes down to the no-nonsense approach of the author. At first you might want to compare Nick Stone to Jason Bourne, Jack Reacher, or James Bond, but thanks to the auhors SAS background you get the sense that this is the real thing.

Nick Stone is ex-SAS. Ex-Army, posted in Northen Ireland during the closing days of The Troubles in the early 90's. After an off-the-radar operation in Gibraltar he
Vladimir Ivanov
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Когда бывшие военные ударяются в писательство, как правило, читать их труды невозможно. Макнаб в этом смысле приятное исключение - излагает легко, с шутками, с остроумными замечаниями.

"Дистанционный контроль" – довольно стандартный боевичок про "черного" агента SAS, который в ходе миссии за рубежом попал в сложную ситуацию, домой вернуться не может, за ним охотятся местные бандиты, продажные менты и спецслужбы, а родное британское правительство активно отмораживается, типа "их там нет" – и при в
Jeff Benham
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nick Stone is ex-SAS and now does contract work. The bosses are not real happy with the results of his last assignment and send him to the states to redeem himself. Simple job. Follow two blocks around and make sure they go where they are supposed to go. Mission completed and time to kill before his flight out, he goes to visit a good friend of his, who is DEA. He gets there to find that his friend and family have been brutally murdered. All gexcept for their 7 year old daughter, who has found a ...more
Marius van Blerck
May 17, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most good espionage thrillers are written by Americans, and this might cause us to forget that the British pretty much invented the genre, with John Buchan, Graham Greene and Ian Fleming among the most prominent pioneers. Andy McNab is now a member of the club. His style might not suit all, being politically incorrect and saturated with profanity. His approach to violence is also overly graphic. McNab has a tight approach to plot, and there is an intelligence that pervades his writing, that will ...more
Clive
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enthralling book from beginning to end. Nick Stone is engaging as a character and very likeable. McNab's writing style is brilliant and you really feel immersed in the story and actions.

Towards the end, I guessed some of the plot twists but that did not deter me from ploughing on. Thoroughly enjoyed the book and look forward to reading more of the Nick Stone series.

A definite 5 stars from me!
dennis barron
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Remote control. Andy McNab

A fantastic action, mystery thriller! Nick Stone, ex SAS, now does covert work for SIS (M16). He accidentally comes upon a horrific crime scene. One of his best friends, also ex SAS,now working for the US DEA, is murdered, along with his wife and young son. Only his seven year old daughter has survived by hiding. Nick finds her and the story unfolds. Betrayal and deceit at the highest level. Fantastic read!
Robert
Mar 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this fast action thriller from Andy McNab. The book is very British and as an American you can appreciate his quirky description of America. Although there are several military acronyms, he does spell them out during the beginning of the novel. All-in-all, a good escape into the spy underworld.
Claire
Feb 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First book in the series. Loved the character of Nick Stone, will definitely be reading the other books in this series. If you have put this down after the first few chapters you need to try again because once this story gets going it is fast paced all action and I honestly think you would be missing out if you do not make it to the end. Loved it, great writer.
Matt Obee
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first Andy McNab book since reading and enjoying Bravo Two Zero many years ago. Some of the scenes felt a little too drawn-out (the phone call with Kelly in the kitchen, for example) while on the other hand the ending seemed incomplete. That said, I was hooked all the way through I look forward to reading the next book in the series.
Shivani
I would give it 3.5 stars. 3 for the story and that half one for the relationship between Nick and Kelly! It was gripping but became a little lengthy and a bit boring in between. But overall a goodread.
Joel Thornton
May 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
McNab has done a great job of taking his experience in the SAS in Britain and turniing it into action thrillers chock full of characters who use the skills any good SAS soldier needs.

From beginning to end this a book that will keep you turning the pages, driving to the end.
Paul
Nov 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good book to start the series. Looking forward to the next one! This book took place over several days but Andy Mcnab's writing moves right along and is not too wordy or drawn-out. I enjoyed it.
Marti
May 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast moving--very well written. Fun to read
Deb
Jun 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book. Lots of action, humor (English - you've been warned) and humility. I intend to read all of his books that I can.
Courtnie Wright
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
BEST BOOK - This author is amazing

• The Increment (Matt Browning, #2)
  • Undersea Prison (Stratton, #4)
  • The Skorpion Directive (Agent Micah Dalton, #4)
  • 3 Para
Andy McNab joined the infantry in 1976 as a boy soldier. In 1984 he was badged as a member of 22 SAS Regiment. He served in B Squadron 22 SAS for ten years and worked on both covert and overt special operations worldwide, including anti-terrorist and anti-drug operations in the Middle and Far East, South and Central America and Northern Ireland.

Trained as a specialist in counter terrorism, prime t

Nick Stone (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Crisis Four (Nick Stone, #2)
  • Firewall (Nick Stone, #3)
  • Last Light (Nick Stone, #4)
  • Liberation Day (Nick Stone, #5)
  • Dark Winter (Nick Stone, #6)
  • Deep Black (Nick Stone, #7)
  • Aggressor (Nick Stone, #8)
  • Recoil (Nick Stone, #9)
  • Crossfire (Nick Stone, #10)
  • Brute Force (Nick Stone, #11)
“I was a thirty-seven-year-old man with a lot on his mind but not too much in it.” 2 likes
“Better to be tried by twelve than carried by six.” 0 likes