Start by marking “Desprite Measures (Caledonian Sprite, #1)” as Want to Read:
Desprite Measures (Caledonian Sprite, #1)

Desprite Measures (Caledonian Sprite, #1)

On the surface she's a cute and feisty blonde, a slender pocket rocket fitness coach. But Cassiopeia Lake has a secret; she's really a force of nature – an elemental.
Water sprite, Cassie, has lived undisturbed in her native Scottish loch for eons. Now, one encounter too many with modern plumbing has driven her to live in human guise along with her selkie boyfriend, Euan. I
Published December 7th 2013 by Deborah Jay

To ask other readers questions about Desprite Measures, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Desprite Measures

Start your review of Desprite Measures (Caledonian Sprite, #1)
witchyreader13
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books, r2r
This book was provided by the Author through the PaC Romance group in exchange for an honest review.

When reading a paranormal romance novel I'm looking for a fun, coherent story with likeable, believable (although interspecies) characters first, with any steamy sex scenes as an additional bonus. This book gave me all of this. Our heroine, Cassie, was a water sprite which is a refreshing change from most of the paranormal creatures that roam the romance aisle these days. She was fun, although at
Frank Van Meer
Apr 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
First, let me ask you a question. In this novel, several places and landmarks are being described. In the first part of the book, the places described, were hyperlinks, linking to to websites about said places. While this is great for actually seeing pictures, I have to wonder, was this book sponsored? The bookstore where Gloria and Cassie meet is a real place, and the Tourist Board of Scotland can be happy with the (gorgeous, I have to admit) loactions of interest pointed out.

It was the first t
Connie Jasperson
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Okay--we all know the cover above looks like I've taken a side-trip into a lurid romance. Don't be deceived by the cover! Yes, there is some graphic sex, and yes there are other elements that might hint that grandma has taken a dip into a lurid romance novel, but stick with me! Desprite Measures by Deborah Jay is a modern day urban fantasy. It is not a deep book, but is perfect for whiling away rainy afternoon.

The Blurb:

On the surface she's a cute and feisty blonde, a slender pocket rocket fit
bunn3h
Jan 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the book enough to finish it in a day. There were times where I wanted to slap the main character for her continuous "Gloria" mental anguish at rather inappropriate times but otherwise the book was enjoyable. Looking forward to the sequel.
K.J. Simmill
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cassie, a water sprite, had been living alone within the lochs for centuries, but as man adapted and developed so too did their technology. Plumbing made things particularly tricky for an elemental who likes to stay in her water form. Eventually she surrendered and moved to land to look and live like them. She had a small collection of friends and it was all going fine, until she was tricked, imprisoned and abducted. Held against her will by an evil magician she was pitted against a creature of ...more
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Elementals who are into F/f sex is definitely going to catch my attention. There are parts to this story which I enjoyed and other parts which just didn't work for me. This is why it ended up with a 2.5 rating.

First, Ms. Jay is a good writer. From a technical perspective, she wrote a good plot with a clear beginning, middle and end. The resolution to her conflict was also quite well done. From a writing rating, this is more a 3.5 star.

Second, the genre Ms. Jay dives into is one I really enjoy.
Trista Borgwardt
Dec 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was refreshing because I was able to read about new creatures that I haven't often read about. Sprites. Cassie is a water sprite and I really enjoyed her character.

The scenes of the book were well written and described in enough detail to give me a clear picture. The story flowed well and there was plenty of action to keep me turning the page to see what happened next. The characters were unique and well designed.

I enjoyed learning about the sprites/elementals and how they adapt and
Jessie Stevens
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
First thing first.

There is a vampire in this book and he can’t tolerate the sunlight.

I like to get these kind of facts in the open right away so that if you are like my husband you will at least consent to hear about the rest book. Some people, are so touchy about these things. I mean seriously, what’s wrong with a little sparkle now and then?

But I digress.

Vampires, elementals, witches, fey… There are loads of creatures in this book living alongside humans in the Scottish Highlands – which is th
Deborah Bowman
Mar 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Looking Forward to the Rest of the Series!

Deborah Jay sure knows her stuff on elementals, Wicca, and her beautiful home of Scotland! I loved the links to pictures and information on the beautiful areas of Scotland where Cassie, the main character, makes her home as a human. I found that the icing on the cake for a fun, romantic/erotic story with all the trimmings.

Cassie, as a water sprite, may have a few mix-ups in her transformations, but she's pretty much got it down to a science. She underst
Faye
Apr 17, 2014 rated it liked it
I admit that the story was written well and the pace was okay but I did not like Cassie. Sure, I kind of her like to through the first part of the book but as I read it through I began to dislike her character. Although her character may seem realistic she began to annoy me especially her decision about the antagonist. The other is her is obsession for Gloria, the fire elemental. It's always about Gloria and it was annoying. I actually felt pity for her when she and Gloria hooked up because alth ...more
Marissa
Aug 03, 2014 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review (LoP or Lovers of Paranormal).

Desprite Measures is the story of Cassie, a water sprite, out living her life among the human population of Scotland. She has a tight circle of friends, a good job, and a boyfriend. One day her life gets turned upside down when a magician kidnaps her and a fire elemental named Gloria as pawns in a nefarious plot.

I would categorize this book as a good summer read. The writing is enjoyable, to the point,
Rosie Amber
Nov 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Desprite Measures has a terrific book cover for a start. This is a fantasy tale set in Scotland. Cassie is a water sprite an immortal element who has chosen to form a human existence in the last few hundred years. She enjoys the interaction with humans and they in turn help her exist.

We first meet her trapped in a dangerous and confusing situation in the hands of a magician, using her relationship with water she saves the situation and makes a lucky escape, but finds herself and her friends are
Charlie
Desprite Measures is a wonderfully unique urban fantasy. The combination of elementals, shifters (selkies) and casters made this an interesting and throughly enjoyable read. I thought Cassie was likeable and relatable, despite being a sprite, I only wish I had her flawless complexion! All things considered, Cassie is relatively normal with human friends and worries, albeit a little quirky, and I really liked that about her.

The physiology of the elementals was fascinating and very well thought o
D.G. Kaye
Apr 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Meet Cassie Lake, the loveable water sprite. She's an elemental who has the ability to transform herself to human form. Cassie is often caught between two worlds; experiencing the emotions of love and compassion as a human, while out of her water form.

In the beginning, Cassie meets Gloria, her polar opposite. Gloria is a fire element. They both are trapped by the magician Liam who wants to experiment with their elements, which would have detrimental consequences if he succeeded by having the two
Toni Michelle-Editor
Mar 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This fantasy novel was so good! I fell in love with the cover which is why I wanted to read Desprite Measures in the first place and I am so glad that I read it. It was so enjoyable. Definitely a new one for me as I have not seen any books on the Elementals before. I laughed and worried and shhhh I even had a few tears escape without my permission. I absolutely loved Deborah Jay's novel and so cant wait to read more from her. If you like stories about faeries, you just might like this book. No i ...more
Natasha Raulerson
Dec 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is definitely a four star review. Other than a few bits (which any reader is always going to have different views on) that irritated me, the story was overall delightful, and I will most definitely be picking up the second one.

You can read my full review on this book on my blog Here

Beware there are slight spoilers, but nothing major.
Aly
Nov 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love the character of Cassie. I love reading about her home and her life. I loved all the pictures this book gave me. I'd love to visit Scotland someday. A Water Sprite is one I read about very often so this was a nice change for me. This book has lots of great elements for me to enjoy. You should check it out and see what you think. * I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review*
Kirsty Stanley
I beta read this earlier this year. Would want to read again before reviewing properly.
Elinor
Jun 27, 2017
Melissa
May 05, 2014
Jul 05, 2014
Deborah Jay writes fast-paced fantasy adventures featuring quirky characters and multi-layered plots – just what she likes to read.
Living mostly on the UK South coast, she has already invested in her ultimate retirement plan – a farmhouse in the majestic, mystery-filled Scottish Highlands where she retreats to write when she can find time. Her taste for the good things in life is kept in check by